Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Winter's Fury 2018.06.26

• Start Topic

The Winter season brings 40 knot winds and 20 foot waves. As accidents plague crews, the Bering Sea singles out one greenhorn for the worst. Strategy is more critical than ever with crab on the move and tension between Wizard co-captains reaches a breaking point.

Discovery has not yet posted an early peek of this episode.  I'll try to update if they do.  (ETA the new episode is now available on Discovery here.)

This is a two hour episode, and the title was only released on Tuesday - I suspect from the various teases this season that this is the episode where

Nope,   This week's ships are the Northwestern, the Wizard, the Cornelia Marie, and the Saga.

So when Josh said he wanted to get rid of the bad juju, was I the only one who said "throw him overboard?"

Jake screwing up his wife's birthdate was hilarious.

How Monte did not kill the relief captain I do not know.    How do you get relief from the relief guy?

• Love 8

It was good seeing Harry again.  didn't realize it had been 10 years.  I think most of that between Monte & Harry was producer driven.  

Throwing Josh overboard would get rid of a lot of bad ju-ju :)  Guess DC is still hanging their hat on Josh but I prefer Casey.  If I was Casey, I'd be damned I'd give up the Captain's seat to Josh.

• Love 4

how many times do we have to flash over to the dimly lit photo of Phil. (At least I could actually see the photo a couple times this time. All the other times it was to dark to make out) I'm almost tempted to count how many times they showed Phil's photo but that would mean I'd have to sit thru seeing Josh over and over again. I was so disappointed that he actually started catching crab. I was rooting for more failure. It was also notable that Josh never mentioned that Monte helped him out with Bairdi. I did feel bad for that poor kid Taylor when he kept getting hurt.

• Love 6
(edited)

Too much Josh. 

Casey had no issue going to help out on deck. He's everything Josh isn't. 

Taylor should take it a sign from God that crab fishing isn't a good career for him. Holy Smokes. That kid has 9 lives and used up at least 5. 

Sig, why don't you get an alarm clock ? He really can be a grumpy jerk. 

Poor Monte.  Keith threw his own brother under the bus when he was talking to Harry. He had no idea how Harry was performing, and he treats Monte like he doesn't know what he's doing. At least Harry got his groove back at the end. 

I'm really missing Johnathan and the Time Bandit. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 6

If this show goes another season, I have a suggestion. Drop the CM entirely and insert a picture in picture screen of Phil Harris reaction shots to what happens on the other boats. Not like they don't have the footage, and more respectful to his memory than panning over the crap Wal-Mart framed photo and $7 Phil Harris Memorial Wheelhouse plaque.

• Love 7

One of the phoniest deadline narratives in DC histoire.  Sig was not in a rush to end his season.  He was going to the cannery with near capacity holds, 40 minutes, or not.  There was ZERO urgency.  Sig had every right to be frosted and he ought to be able to dictate work times.  No question.  but, that was not enough for DC.  They got Sig to engage in tortured V/Os hinting at some great financial loss.  There was NONE.  

Jake A. is a straight fool.  There was no need for him to call a Hail Mary and go East.  The dude simply can not help himself.  He has to push things and live in chaos.  It is classic addict behavior.  It's gonna ruin him.  I am not saying or hinting that he is or was using.  I am saying that his alcoholic personality is ruinous.  It's a matter of time - or a conscientious effort to stop setting himself up for failure. 

I about puked when Keith was praising Josh as an old salt for his decision to stick with his boat.  Didja notice that Monte allegedly/supposedly did not know of Keith's status until after the off-load of the bairdi? What?  They have no phones or radios?  More DC phony baloney.  I'd bet a lot that the whole asking Josh was total DC fiction, as well.  

With all its faults, I thought there was some brilliant and gorgeous cinematography in this ep.  

• Love 2

I don't want to watch "Joshliest Catch" anymore.

I don't want to hear these phrases anymore:

"his Dad's"

"the younger Harris"

"the young captain"

"Phil Harris"

"Phil Harris's honeyhole"

"Harris luck"

I do want to punch Mike Rowe in the face every time he says them.  

I don't want to watch anymore as Josh strategically turns his cap from front to back and then back again.   I don't want to hear his cliches and platitudes.  I don't want to hear him repeat "Safety is our goal" as if he gives a shit about anything except mugging for the camera.    Or repeating lines like "Bad juju" that you just know he heard on an episode of Scooby Doo.

I don't want to hear the spin anymore about how Josh loaded the boat with bairdi when in fact he was shitting his pants until Monty Colburn reluctantly cut him in on his good fortune.   The fact that Josh finally found crab at the rockpile doesn't mean squat.   It's all fake drama.  Watching this show all these seasons I have concluded that no boat ever goes home empty.   If they keep at it, sooner or later they find the crab.   What seems to make the difference profit-wise is how quickly and efficiently they fill the tanks -- an aspect that is never emphasized on this show when it comes to Josh Harris.   For all we know it took him a week to finally scrape some crab off that rockpile.  The producers can edit and spin to their heart's delight, whatever it takes to craft another comic book episode of "Captain Josh and the Cornelia Marie."

I'm sick of crybaby Jake Anderson too.   That "Happy Birthday" singing frayed my last nerve.    He looks like a rapidly aging alcoholic.

I did love when Monty called Keith "Captain Beach Commander" and Keith blew a gasket.   "Don't call me Captain Beach Commander!   Call me the fucking owner of The Wizard!!"  

I felt for Monty when Harry kept plying him with question after question.   What does this mean?   What does that do?   Is the Flying Dutchman still crabbing?   What's it called now?   What's this doohickey?   What's over there?   Does the Love Boat ever get out this way? 

This show has run its course.   

• Love 6

Are we in the minority and most DC fans are clamoring for more of Josh Harris?! Reading everything here mirrors my thinking everytime the show is on. I root for him to catch nothing, have serious mechanical issues, etc., every week. (The editing on his wheelhouse scenes was ridiculous this episode. Heavy beard shadow one shot, clean shaven the next. Snowing one shot, clear skies the next.)

PS - He is 35 years old, as is Casey. Jake A is almost 38. Stop calling them "young skippers"!

• Love 5
On 7/2/2018 at 7:08 PM, Merriwind said:

Are we in the minority and most DC fans are clamoring for more of Josh Harris?! Reading everything here mirrors my thinking everytime the show is on. I root for him to catch nothing, have serious mechanical issues, etc., every week. (The editing on his wheelhouse scenes was ridiculous this episode. Heavy beard shadow one shot, clean shaven the next. Snowing one shot, clear skies the next.)

PS - He is 35 years old, as is Casey. Jake A is almost 38. Stop calling them "young skippers"!

He and Casey are the same age?   Yeah Casey is so much more mature.     On rewatch I have to wonder if this is Mike Rowe driven, not DC.    MR seems perfectly find reading the lines that praise Josh to the heavens.    SURELY he would slip SOME sarcasm in there if he didn't believe it.

Also on rewatch when Keith was talking to Josh after Josh turned down the relief job on the Wizard, I realized how all those lines could have been edited.   Sure it SOUNDED like Keith was saying Josh was growing up.    But "I've been waiting for you to step up" could have had more that was cut out.    Now why isn't Keith speaking out about the fishy edit?   Simple.    Big boat, big debt.   He knows if he talks against the "favored son" he is off.   Wonder if that is what happened to the TB.   Because Hillstrands speak their minds.

• Love 3

Keith is 55 and pretty much the oldest guy on Deadliest Catch.  (Hard for me to believe that Sig, at 52, is younger than my son!) 

Sean is 25, and more mature than Josh Harris will EVER be.  When Sean talks about his father (who was not on DC), it feels like true respect.  When Josh talks about his, it feels like he is trying to garner some of Phil's fame.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2018 at 11:55 AM, millennium said:

It's all fake drama.  Watching this show all these seasons I have concluded that no boat ever goes home empty.   If they keep at it, sooner or later they find the crab.

There is also the danger that quota will be taken from them while they're still out there - that happened at least once, though I forget to whom. Is Sig the only one with a substantial amount of his own quota? Maybe Sean has some from his dad.

• Love 2