Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Interview with Neil Sandilands:

A South African actor and filmmaker, Sandilands plays Clifford DeVoe/ The Thinker on the television series The Flash. "My audition was a bit of a calculated risk, and they liked it," he said. "I am very excited to be working on The Flash. It is such an interesting character that I get to play. You always have more fun as a villain. You vicariously do things that you've always wanted to, and you get away with them."

He added, "The Flash was new to me. I am so enchanted by it. The fans are incredible. They grew up with comic books, and we have such a diverse audience. It's not just the younger crowd, it is everybody. I never knew people were so crazed by comic books. I am learning as I am going along. I thank them for the amazing response we have had, so far. In the coming weeks, going into the season finale, we are going to blow your minds. The final two episodes are super awesome. The fans will be in for a ride."

http://m.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/entertainment/neil-sandilands-discusses-the-flash-upcoming-independent-film/article/521528

DVD Blu-ray news for Season 4:

Just in time for the fifth season premiere of the highest-rated series on The CW, you will be zooming into stores to pick up The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases the Blu-ray and DVD on August 28, 2018. <...> Fans will be able to catch up on the fourth season as they speed-watch all 23 electrifying episodes, including the epic DC Crossover, new featurettes, the series' 2017 Comic-Con Panel and more. The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season is priced to own at $49.99 SRP for the DVD, and $54.97 SRP for the Blu-ray which includes a Digital Copy.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

The Best of DC TV's Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2017

Inside the Crossover: Crisis on Earth-X

The Elongated Man

Flash Time on Amunet Black with Katee, Eric and Sterling

The Fastest Mind Alive: The Thinker

Only the Blu-ray will have all the crossover episodes:

With Blu-ray's unsurpassed picture and sound, The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season Blu-ray release will include 1080p Full HD Video with DTS-HD Master Audio for English 5.1. In addition to featuring all 23 episodes of season four in high-definition as well as a digital copy of the season, the 4-disc Blu-ray will also include all four crossover episodes, a tremendous value and collectors opportunity.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Flash-Season-4-Press-Release/24165

Latest Chronicles of Cisco:

10:37 AM: I’ve finally convinced Barry that taking down DeVoe will be impossible without help. So, he’s agreed to teach Caitlin and I how to operate in Flashtime without melting like ice cream on a Bunsen Burner. And right on cue, he has just called us in for lesson #1. Send me good vibes!
12:05 PM: Well… lesson 1 could probably have gone better, but I’m still alive. I guess that’s a win. My first takeaway is that Flashtime is a trip....

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/173971080845/1037-am-ive-finally-convinced-barry-that-taking

(edited)

Posting the summary for The Flash from the CW schedule press release to note something... :

Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police Department. Barry's life changed forever when the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator exploded, creating a dark-matter lightning storm that struck Barry, bestowing him with super-speed and making him the fastest man alive - The Flash.

After spending six months inside the Speed Force, Flash's two closest friends, his fiancé, and his adoptive father - Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), Iris West (Candice Patton), and Joe West (Jesse L. Martin) - freed him. But in doing so, they opened up Central City to a new batch of villains called the bus-metas; a perilous outcome masterminded by an evil uber-genius known as The Thinker (Neil Sandilands). The team takes on The Thinker to protect the people of Central City, but winning this battle may come at a high price.

Based on the characters from DC, THE FLASH is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "Supergirl"), Eric Wallace, Sarah Schechter ("Arrow," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow") and Todd Helbing ("Black Sails").

[breaks and emphasis mine]

Now Eric Wallace is listed with the other showrunners. I had a feeling he might be promoted after Kreisberg left. He just joined the show this season, and is credited with writing a few of the better episodes this season, IMO. So now Flash has one Black showrunner/EP.

(Also Iris was not a part of the Speed Force jail break, but I don't expect the people who write these to actually watch the show....)

ETA: Interestingly, Wallace is also listed as an EP for Black Lightning.

Edited by Trini

New Season CW sizzle reels - The only Flash representation is The Flash/Barry, with a microsecond of Iris' hand and the back of her head :

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

Posting the summary for The Flash from the CW schedule press release to note something... :

[breaks and emphasis mine]

Now Eric Wallace is listed with the other showrunners. I had a feeling he might be promoted after Kreisberg left. He just joined the show this season, and is credited with writing a few of the better episodes this season, IMO. So now Flash has one Black showrunner/EP.

(Also Iris was not a part of the Speed Force jail break, but I don't expect the people who write these to actually watch the show....)

ETA: Interestingly, Wallace is also listed as an EP for Black Lightning.

I think Eric Wallace is the only other EP from this season. Perhaps, he got a job upgrade! That would be good news. I hope they add a black female writer this year. 

I know that Sarah isn't a showrunner, and I seriously doubt Greg's involvement since he has so many projects. I think Greg has taken over for Shonda Rhodes and Dick Wolf for having the most number of shows on network TV. However, they are both listed on almost every show as EPs. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I'm ready for the finale, but yikes at the photo. I had to go check the photos they released for the finale and just yikes yikes. Why, whomever posted this, cropped out Carlos and Candice?

https://twitter.com/CW_TheFlash/status/998292278933241858

From the comments, it seems like this wasn't the first-time they did something shady and stupid like this. Which makes me now understand why Candice stopped following them. At least that's what I heard. 

EW interview with Todd Helbing - I think this is just more of a previous interview. Teases for the finale and Season 5:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What can you tease of the ultimate showdown with DeVoe in the season finale?

TODD HELBING: Basically the team has run out of options. Every avenue they’ve gone down, they’ve come up with nothing, and Barry can’t defeat him physically and the team is dwindling with their powers. Killer Frost is still not a part of Caitlin, and Harry is losing his intelligence more and more. They just don’t have a lot of ways to stop him. At the top of the episode, they’re gonna toss a Hail Mary. They come up with this crazy scheme to stop the Thinker in a way that we have never seen them fight a villain before. During that, there is a massive twist. I know we say this every year, but this is by far the biggest episode that we’ve done on a visual effects level, and in conjunction with story level. I would say it’s an Inception-inspired episode.  ...

ew.com/tv/2018/05/21/flash-season-4-finale-spoilers/

Candice Patton interview; thoughts on Iris, and some teases for the finale and season 5 :

After getting a taste of superpowers this season, why was it important for Iris to go back to her journalistic roots?

I think it’s fun. I’ve always said I’d like to be a superhero on the show, just for the fans and myself. Iris is one of the few characters that is truly human, who is brave and heroic in her own ways without having superpowers. If everyone on the show ends up with superpowers, it becomes a different show. It becomes Legends of Tomorrow. We already have that show. It’s important on The Flash to keep some of the human aspects like with Iris and Joe (Jesse L. Martin). Iris has proven herself over the seasons of just being heroic without the powers, of being a great journalist, of being brave and being calm in the face of danger. It’s always been important to keep her in that lane.

Iris never sits on the sidelines. Where do we find her while Barry confronts DeVoe?

She’s right there alongside him. We will introduce this interesting concept where Barry tries to enter the mind of DeVoe, to find DeVoe’s good side, and help defeat him. The team is alongside him, with Iris there, too. It speaks to the title of the episode, which is “We Are The Flash.” It’s a team effort and this theme we have been playing with all season.

More here: https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-candice-patton-season-4-finale-interview/

EP Helbing interviews and finale post-mortems (finale spoilers and Season 5 info):

Comicbook.com: (excerpts)

"I think some of the Speed Force episodes are my favorite ones, I think 'Runaway Dinosaur' particularly," Helbing said. "Anytime Barry can get to going in the Speed Force, it's such an interesting world and concept. Then, for The Thinker, the mindscape, I mean, it made a lot of sense to us that he's so formidable now physically, like [last week] when everybody finally saw him use all his powers and we did the sort of Old Boy-esque sequence. It's just all natural that that was the best place to take down DeVoe was in his head."

I mean, I think look, it's The Flash, right? So, speedsters are always going to be a part of it whether it's Wally or Jesse Quick or a new speedster that we introduce," Helbing said. "It's just part and parcel for this world but it is nice to have a villain that we can change up what Barry's obstacle and the team's obstacles are and how to take somebody down so The Thinker, DeVoe, [was] a lot of fun and we certain see the benefits of doing that, having a meta that isn't a speedster and the new ways that we can pose challenges for those guys is fun so I think for next season, it's certainly not going to be a speedster."

TV Guide:

Yeah, The Flash is so much fun in that regard with all our relationships because we get to introduce them and explore them in different ways. So it's not just the typical, "you have a baby" and there's the trials and tribulations of not knowing how to be a parent. These guys are jumping into parenthood as adults with an adult. So they missed a lot of the bonding and sleepless nights and just getting to know your child as a baby — they missed all that stuff. They jumped right to meeting somebody as an adult, so for us, it was how do we play these first introductions in a new way? So it's been a lot of fun.

What can you say about Caitlin's quest to bring Killer Frost back out and how the knowledge that she's always had her powers will affect that?
Helbing: It completely changes her thinking about her powers and obviously where they came from. It's the main mystery for her next season, and it's going to lead her down a path that she certainly did not expect to walk down.

Another great twist from this finale is that Ralph is alive! Will he return as permanent team member next year?
Helbing: Yeah, that was always the plan — kill him and then play his death for real, then ultimately find out that he's still alive in the body that DeVoe's inhabited. We love Hartley, and we love Ralph, and there's a tremendous amount of Ralph Dibney stories that we haven't tapped into from the comics yet that we certainly want to do, so it's going to be great to have him around... He's grown a lot this season, and I think there's some more growth to happen with him.

TV Insider:

And with any show, there's always the possibility of a cast change that would alter the formulation of the team. Do you ever worry about the team getting too big?

That's certainly a concern. If you look at [past seasons] for instance, Season 1, everybody had their jobs. Their roles were pretty defined, and then as they got caught up in this craziness of meta-humans and Big Bads, things changed. Like Joe was in the Cortex and everybody was in there working together and their jobs got less defined.

So, in Season 4, towards the second half of the season, we wanted to redefine where everybody is in this universe, as far as the team and what their roles are. I think next season, we want to do the same thing, even a little bit more so because the cast is expanding a little bit. We're sort of forced to but it helps us story-wise with splitting them off into pairs or pairings. We're going to get Iris out in the field again investigating and writing more. And Ralph, we explored a little bit of his detective side but not really, so next season we're going to dive into that a little bit more. Cisco is going to have a story. It's going to help us, hopefully, and not hurt us.

EW:

The Mystery Girl is Nora West-Allen! Why change her name from Dawn as it is in the comics?

When we first started talking about it, we decided on her name like a year ago, right around this time, after we’d pitched the season to the studio and network. It was to pay homage to Barry’s mother. It felt like if Barry and Iris were ever gonna have a child that would be female, that would be one of the names we brought up. It seemed like it didn’t matter — the second that we talked to Jessica Parker Kennedy, we knew that people were gonna figure out pretty quickly who she was. So we had to put a little spin to make it a little bit different than what everybody was expecting.

One of the themes for next season is family. When you’re dealing with a show that jumps around, obviously with Barry, Nora, and Iris, it’s gonna be family, with Joe and Cecile and the new baby, there’s family, and then Ralph is part of this new family. And then with Caitlin, she had one understanding of where her powers came, and you’ve met her mother in the past seasons, you got a little glimpse of her father. But there’s gonna be a new dynamic with Caitlin and her family in season 5.

Harry has left, but presumably Tom Cavanagh is sticking around. Anything you can say about the new Wells we’ll meet next season?

I don’t want to tell you yet who he is, but when I was up there in Vancouver shooting for the finale, I talked to Tom for quite a bit about it. We landed on a pretty fun and interesting new Wells to join the team.

Last Chronicles of Cisco for the season:

This is it! The end is here! The Thinker’s Enlightenment machine is at 80%, which means soon all of our minds will be wiped.  So long intelligence.  Bye bye bye to all my beloved pop-culture knowledge.  It’s all being erased.  But before I’m rebooted there are some deep dark secrets I need out there in the world. Since no one will be smart enough to read this blog, I might as well confess! ....

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/174188755311/this-is-it-the-end-is-here-the-thinkers

End-of-season summaries: 'Arrowverse report card: What we learned from Flash, Arrow, and Legends this season'

THE FLASH

After having the Fastest Man Alive face off with other very-fast people for three seasons, Season 4 of The Flash flipped the script and introduced a non-speedster villain — and it was certainly a breath of fresh air. While Season 4 wasn't perfect, it still turned out some exceptional episodes with a compelling story and villain to tie it together.

Barry found some positivity and grew as a leader; the team made some big strides forward; Devoe was a fantastic foil for Barry and his team. Season 4 is arguably a template for how this series can break free from always using speedster baddies, and certainly looks to be blowing the doors wide open for the show to mine deeper into the character's comic canon in the years to come.

KEY TAKEAWAYS

Joe had a baby: ...

Kid Flash hit the road: ...

Barry and Iris got hitched: ...

The life and death (and life) of Ralph Dibny: ...

Hello Flashtime: ...

Mystery Girl revealed: ...

We're getting another Wells: ....

Danielle Nicolet and Jessica Parker Kennedy panel at MCM Comic Con in London yesterday -- they're on at 6:50 in the video:

They can't say much spoiler-wise since the finale hasn't aired in England yet.

Leo Award win for The Flash!

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
DRAMATIC SERIES

NOMINEES

Ryan Jensen, Dong Hyun Kim, Alican Sesli, Brandon Doty, John Mutter
Beyond - Two Zero One

Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Kerrington Harper, Chris Van Dyck, Craig Vandenbiggelaar, Justin Reimer
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Nice Jacket

Armen V. Kevorkian, Marc Lougee, James Baldanzi, Andranik Taranyan, Shirak Agresta
The Flash - I Know Who You Are

http://www.leoawards.com/winners/

That was the episode that had these effects sequences:

tumblr_ox3vvfx8WW1ujovqwo2_540.gif

tumblr_opdbxgd4Lc1v7h616o2_540.gif

tumblr_opealt0kAY1ubfwvlo5_500.gif

tumblr_opcu211KPr1ujovqwo3_400.gif

• Love 1

Interview with Candice: https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Candice-Patton-Interview-About-Flash-Season-4-44888038

PS: What would you say has been the most exciting episode to work on this season?

CP: Well, for me personally, obviously, when Iris [becomes a speedster], because it was something so different than what I've done in other episodes. Getting to suit up and kind of bear the brunt of the work for one episode was really, really fun. I got to see kind of what Grant [Gustin] through goes through every episode.

PS: What do you hope for your character next season?

CP: I would love to see Iris kind of away from Team Flash a little more, doing her own thing, especially reporting and being a journalist. And I am really hoping that there's a lot more heart in the show. The West-Allen family, our daughter, all of those dynamics will be really very interesting.

(edited)

Everything points to Jessica P. Kennedy being a regular next season - when are they going to make an official announcement? I hope they don't wait until SDCC.

Edited by Trini

Another PopSugar interview with Candice:

PS: What advice would you give your 22-year-old self?

CP: In my 20s, I wanted everything so bad. I wanted success and love and the whole package right away, but there's something very powerful about adversity and failing. I think one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me is not having things when I wanted them. It taught me perseverance and strength, and by the time I did have my career and my success, I was extremely grateful for it.

PS: What talent or passion have you been able to use in your career in an unexpected way?

CP: Being a feminist and being a role model to a lot of young women is something that has been unexpected. Caity [Lotz] and I created this thing called Shethority to give back to a lot of our young fans and empower young women to use their voice. It's something that's really important to both of us.

Season 4 review at IGN:

... The decision to sideline Wally proved all the more perplexing given how much emphasis Season 4 placed on Team Flash's newest recruit, Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer). Why the show needed to replace Wally with Ralph was never properly established. That's not to say Ralph's presence on the series didn't result in some strong storylines. Sawyer's energetic and charming portrayal of the character helped. Ralph's general evolution from self-absorbed private eye to selfless superhero was solid, if repetitive and overlong at times. Several key Ralph moments from late in the season also stand out as some of the high points in Season 4. Still, Ralph never felt like a truly natural and organic addition to the series, and he as much as any other character was responsible for the chronic inability to balance humor and drama.

The series did at least see some benefits from its new villain in Season 4. Clifford DeVoe (Neil Sandilands) quickly established himself as a very different breed of Flash rogue, one who used strategy and smarts to outwit the fastest man alive. Together with his wife/partner-in-crime Marlize (Kim Engelbrecht), DeVoe made for a stately and often compelling foil to Team Flash. He was also a character who, unlike Zoom or Savitar, showed depth and pathos from an early stage. Some of the best moments of the season focused on DeVoe's troubled background and his relationship with Marlize. Often, the series suffered when Sandilands remained out of the picture for too long (a big problem in the middle third of the season). ...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/30/the-flash-season-4-review

• Love 2

Candice's panel at PopSugar Playground:

SUNDAY

2:45 p.m.-3:15 p.m. Screen Queens (Ground Stage)

Join CW Stars Ashleigh Murray, Candice Patton, Vanessa Morgan, and Caity Lotz as they dish on what it's like to be BFFs on set and star in some of our favorite TV shows.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Why can't it be Tom leaving? We don't need another Wells.

For real, I get that he and Carlos and he and Grant are good friends in real life, but I'm sick of his schtick and over a new version of Wells ever year. I hate when shows keep a character on past the expiration date because they like the person (see also: Ralph/Hartley Sawyer)

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, shantown said:

For real, I get that he and Carlos and he and Grant are good friends in real life, but I'm sick of his schtick and over a new version of Wells ever year. I hate when shows keep a character on past the expiration date because they like the person (see also: Ralph/Hartley Sawyer)

I've been re-watching an old favorite show of mine, "Stargate: Atlantis", and I recognize now that there's too much dependence on the brainiac of the team. In that show,  it was Rodney McKay. It didn't' bother me on "Stargate: SG1" because Col. Samantha Carter was a rarity and a breath of fresh air as a female in STEM and a capable fighter, too.  While watching a recent episode of "Atlantis", I actually noticed how much dialogue Rodney had compared to the rest of the cast.  I think he had the most to say, which is unfair to the cast and bad storytelling. 

The  level of dependence on the brains of Harrison Wells has stretched beyond its limits. It relegates the hero to being seen as dumb or incompetent. It also seriously handicaps the other characters as well. It also makes it seem like his kind of intelligence is the most useful and best. I re-watched 1x1 of "The Flash" last night, and it was Barry who came up with the idea to unravel the tornado when no one had an answer.

In 4x23, it was insulting that Harry was the one who told Barry to go back to where DeVoe fell in love with Marlize. Marlize should have made that suggestion because she's DeVoe's wife, or any woman in that room could have made that suggestion because all women remember where and when they first declared love to their significant other. But no, it had to be Harry, without whom all falls apart.  

Edited by adora721
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Trini said:

A few live tweets of the panel:

It's sad that I have to once again read something like this. Candice shouldn't have to be saying she wants to see Iris as a reporter. The show should have always shown her as a reporter, but they had AJK in charge

• Love 1

Yes, we know, the fourth season of The Flash seemed to pass in an...instant. (Hey, we can restrain ourselves.) But before we say goodbye to flashtime, speedster Iris and wise-cracking Ralph Dibny, #DCTV is looking back at some of the season's best moments as chosen by you.

(edited)

Video of the PopSugar panel here: ‘Riverdale’, ‘The Flash’ and ‘Legends’ Stars Talk Representation and Character Arcs

---

And PopSUgar's write-up of Candice at the panel: 'Candice Patton on Representation and the Profound Impact of Playing Iris on The Flash'

Candice added that she's OK taking on the criticism if it means more women of color don't have to deal with it later. "The more we get cast, the more we unfortunately take the brunt, the easier it's going to get on every woman of color that comes after us," she said. "It's going to become the normal, I hope, sooner than later. If I have to deal with crap online so a girl that looks like me 10 years from now can successfully be on a show without any of that, then it's well worth it."

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Trini said:

That's a wise, sacrificial, and forward-thinking attitude!

On 5/28/2018 at 12:23 AM, Trini said:

Only realized yesterday that Jessica played Bette Sans Souci ,Plastique, on "Smallville" in season 8. TF's Plastique was played by a different actress.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1