Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'm really behind on posting these articles, there's quite a few. I'll post some of them If I can find them again:

Barry and Iris's Wedding on The Flash Will Get Your Heart Beating Faster

The day has finally come, WestAllen shippers! After three seasons of "Will they or won't they?" Barry and Iris are tying the knot on The Flash. The CW just released a ton of stills from the reception, and I'm kind of freaking out. Not only does Iris (Candice Patton) look absolutely stunning in her strapless gown, but I can't get over how happy Barry (Grant Gustin) looks as he watches his fiancée walk down the aisle. And don't even get me started on that official poster. Because this is sure to be an epic event, it's all going down during the four-way crossover for Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow, which kicks off on Nov. 27. Hopefully the title, "Crisis on Earth-X," isn't foreshadowing anything bad for the happy couple.

Why Barry and Iris Deserve Their Happy Ending on The Flash

Barry and Iris have faced some major ups and downs on The Flash, but we still have faith they will find their way back to each other. While their future is currently on hold, their track record proves that nothing (not even the Speed Force) can keep these two lovers apart. That being said, it is getting a bit exhausting watching them fight for their love time and time again. Seriously, what gives? Even their alternate universe selves can find a way to make it work. As season four approaches, here are just a few reasons Barry and Iris deserve their happy ending, once and for all.

It's a slideshow, I put a few of the reasons here, but there are 15 in all

They're Best Friends

They Genuinely Care For Each Other

They Make Each Other Laugh

They're Comfortable With Each Other

They Love Each Other Deeply

Iris Is Barry's Home

They Always Find Their Way Back to Each Other

Barry Wouldn't Be the Flash Without Iris

• Love 2

'The Most Delightful Moments From Crisis on Earth-X Part 1 and 2':

Crisis had some fun with its references to the past crossovers—Dominators, so last year!—but its most touching was Barry asking Kara to sing at his wedding, after learning about her vocal talents during the delightful musical Flash/Supergirl teamup. Her song choice being “Running Home to You,” the ballad Barry sang to Iris when he proposed in that crossover, was perfect, as was the whole wonderful moment of Barry and Iris’ wedding finally getting under way.

If the song didn’t have you teary eyed, Barry’s big puppydog eyes welling up when he turned around to see Iris in her dress absolutely should have. It’s almost a shame the Nazis showed up. Only almost though, because the bit where they got beat the hell up was delightful, too.

From the Variety article:

“After a thorough investigation, Warner Bros. Television Group has terminated Andrew Kreisberg’s employment, effective immediately,” said the studio in a statement. “Greg Berlanti will assume additional responsibilities on both “The Flash,” where he will work closely with executive producer/co-showrunner Todd Helbing, and “Supergirl,” where he will work closely with executive producers/co-showrunners Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller. We remain committed to providing a safe working environment for our employees and everyone involved in our productions.”

'The Most Delightful Moments From Crisis on Earth-X Part 3 and 4'

Arguably the most delightful revelation in the entirety of Crisis was that the love interests of Green Arrow and the Flash can kick as much Earth-X Nazi as anyone with superpowers. Not only do they escape Black Arrow and his guns’ invasion of STAR Labs by going into the vents, John McClane-style (he wishes he had vents that big!), they punch out several armed Nazis and rescue Supergirl before she becomes an unwilling heart donor for Overgirl. Don’t hold the fact that they got caught against them, because it’s not like Nazis didn’t capture all the other heroes, too.

Chronicles of Cisco:

Happy Thanksgiving, COC readers! Now, you’re probably asking: “Cisco, did you recently get hit over the head and forget that Thanksgiving was last week?” First off, how dare you. My mind is a steel trap. But since you asked, Yes… I did get hit on the head fighting inter-dimensional Nazis and it’s a little bit of a sore topic for me.  Okay? But my friends, I’m referring to Thanksgiving on Earth-19 of which I had the honor of celebrating with Gypsy, her family, and her terrifying father….yay!

Interview and photoshoot with Keiynan at Kode magazine. The interview seems really recent, but can't tell when they did the photos; his hair is blonde. Anyway, some Flash-related excerpts:

Kode | You had several projects release in 2017, as an actor and an artist how do you manage to make time for yourself and really stay balanced with your hectic schedule?

Keiynan | Yeah that's something I specifically focused on this year actually, finding my balance, finding myself amidst all the chaos. I've taken a fair amount of time away from work this year to figure a lot of things out about my spirit and about the world. I thought all of my problems would go away when I found "success,” but the line always gets further...and the personal issues eventually creep their way in and build up to a boiling point - this is for anyone. ...

So it seems like he might have asked for time off the show.

Keiynan | Wally and I are in a similar place, he's on the path to finding himself and he's giving himself the space to grow and learn beyond what he currently knows. I think it would be awesome to see that journey, to see where his travels take him, and to find out what being a superhero actually means to him. You can have powers & save the world, but what if even that didn't fulfill you anymore? You'd need to reassess your values and your views on life.

Quotes from Armen in this article about visual effects on TV: VFX on ‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘Stranger Things,’ DC on CW Series Allow TV to Rival Film

“Pay cable and streamers definitely have more leeway with time and prep,” says Armen Kevorkian, whose Encore Hollywood employs roughly 130 artists to create VFX for CW shows like “The Flash,” “Supergirl” and “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.”

“Not to take away from what they do, but it’s a different animal,” he continues. “It’s hard to compare what we do on a weekly basis for three shows where every episode has a few big set pieces that we have to create with limited time. They have a lot more time to think those things through in fewer episodes; time is always our challenge.”

While emerging technologies now allow for increased speed around basic effects like rendering or creating a digital double, Kevorkian notes it comes down to the talent and passion of VFX artists to elevate and evolve what viewers see on-screen. And that’s a sentiment that’s shared across the board, whether on streaming, cable or network.

Im not wrong thats mark valley as the d.a. no? That gives me hope that its Christopher Chance (human target) saying wolf in sheeps clothing (lol). If they hadnt cast another guy on arrow as Chance i would automatically assume thats how barry is gonna get out of it... but in the arrowverse human target puts on other faces so maybe thats how they explain that :)

Wasted opportunity if hes just another character (maybe they gave valley that roll as a consolation for recasting his character from human target) i donno just hoping they changed their minds and let Arrow get Christopher chance use his "real face" to get barry out of it! They got Constantine on legends so maybe they made another deal for the real Human Target!

Edited by Doyounot

Chronicles of Cisco: Killer Frost, Ralph and Cisco hang out:

Guys, being a superhero is tough: training exercises, constantly being beat up, and facing literal nightmares. This pretty face can only take so much, baby. JK, it really is AWESOME! Sure, a lot of your time is spent fighting baddies, but then the rest of it is hanging out with OTHER superheroes.

Last night after defeating a meturglar (a meta who is also a burglar, yeah I’m good) Dibny, Harry, Killer Frost, and I went out. It was a little hard to convince Harry to leave the lab, but the key is the promise of a good brandy. Thanks for the tip, KF. ...

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/168272311450/guys-being-a-superhero-is-tough-training

------

16 hours ago, Trini said:

That is Mark Valley! They didn't publicize his casting; maybe he's only in a couple episodes?

Deleted scene from 4.09:

I think they might not have publicize it cause the episode is not going go be airing until next year. So they might be saving that for when they are closer to the episode airing. 

Mid-season finale recaps:
TV Line; EW; Inverse; BuddyTV; Collider; Bustle;

Reviews:
Den of Geek:

Heading into the midseason hiatus, things are looking complicated for Team Flash, but not as grim as they have in the past. (Hey, no one's properly died, right? ... Unless you count poor, sweet Dominic. Is he still in there?) Barry may be behind bars, but this is a problem that exists within a system that has established rules, unlike some of the chaos Team Flash has had to deal with in the past.

AV Club:

Other decisions by the creative team fare a bit better. I was ready to move on from horndog Ralph a couple weeks ago, but apparently the powers that be felt there was still more juice to be squeezed from that particular fruit. Having him show some growth (and not just in the “giant fist” sense) in the second half of the episode is at least promising, and I’m still enjoying Hartley Sawyer’s comic performance enough to go with the flow. Having team leader Iris make a tough call (even if it took Harry’s urging) is an encouraging sign that she won’t be reduced to being “Mrs. Flash” in the aftermath of last week’s wedding.

IGN:

In the process, there was a lot of thoughtful musing on Barry's metahuman lifestyle and the ways in which stopping to appreciate life as a normal human both helped him and proved his ultimate undoing. This episode calls into question whether Barry actually can continue to lead a normal life and play superhero anymore. Thanks to DeVoe, he may no longer have the option of either. It was also nice to see Iris' status as Team Flash leader come back into focus, with her facing a tough decision and not necessarily coming out on top in the end.

The Young Folks:

The slow motion suspense in the final scene is particularly superb. Barry is ready to bolt, lightning sparking off of him, ready to run away from the crime scene. But as he looks between DeVoe’s lifeless body and the picture of him and Iris on the table, he realizes he can’t make a run for it. And this an outstanding scene for many reasons. The realization dawns on Barry is that if he runs away now, it’s only a quick fix. He’d be running for a long time, forever a fugitive, with the admittance of guilt heavy in the air. Running away would have been a snap decision made in a moment of panic. “Don’t run,” Barry whispers, and it’s honestly such a mature moment. Barry Allen is a character who has run from many things in his life before. He’s run from the pain of his mother’s murder, he’s run back to the past to fix it, run from his feelings for Iris back in early season one, and run away from his grief.

Geek.com:

The frustrating part of this episode was the contrived subplot it used to slow everything down. Caitlin and Barry are being held in different locations. The barrier designed by The Thinker is meant to hold Barry, which also means it keeps out Cisco’s vibes. The S.T.A.R. Labs satellite only has enough power to find one of them, and Iris chooses to search for both anyway. There is no reason for that except to tie everyone’s hands for an hour. As The Flash has added more superheroes to the mix, it’s had trouble figuring out what to do with all of them. The madcap escalation of Legends of Tomorrow doesn’t fit the tone of the show, so instead it finds ways to sideline or otherwise hold back any heroes that would end the episode too early. That’s why Wally is still away in Cambodia and why Iris chooses the one course of action that ensures nothing gets done. It certainly pads out the story, but it’s not all that fun to watch. It takes a conveniently-timed talking to from Harry to convince Iris to make a tough decision and go after Caitlin instead of Barry.

SYFY Wire:

... It all plays out quickly, but it raises some interesting questions. We see Barry’s maturity as he makes the snap decision that the best thing he can do is face this problem head-on, instead of (ahem) running from it. It’s also interesting for the fact that it’s obviously part of DeVoe’s master plan — had he accounted for all the variables had Barry stayed? And ran? Getting the upper-hand on a villain who can see your moves six steps before you do is obviously proving harder than anyone on Team Flash had imagined. It continues to be a nice change of pace when compared to the myriad speedster villains that have come before.

The poll where nobody wins: Which TV Character Had the Most Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Year? Iris is a choice:

Iris West-Allen, The Flash

Just barely dodged death at the hands of Savitar, only to then watch Barry bail on her to appease the Speed Force. Entered couples therapy upon fiance’s return. Saw wedding crashed by Nazis, second try at “I do” hijacked by visiting friends. Honeymoon cut short by Ralph’s Stranger Things binge. And did we mention that for Christmas, her husband got framed for murder?

"West-Allen" ❤️

• Love 1

'Why the Crisis on Earth-X Crossover Was the Best Yet'

All in all, the "Crisis on Earth-X" crossover was a major success. Free from the burdens of setting up another show or pausing for Arrow’s 100th episode, here The CW team could focus entirely on pulling something off that the fans would love. And boy did they succeed.

A relatively simple story filled with Earth-X doppelgangers left enough space for individual performances to shine and genuine emotions to flare, as well as providing plentiful opportunities for impressive action scenes and fun cameos. It had stakes, it had laughs, and it had one of the Arrowverse’s most tragic deaths to date. (RIP Stein, until we meet your doppelgangers!)

Candice, Danielle, and and producer Greg Berlanti are participating in a WB/DC promo event in Washingto D.C. in January; related excerpts from the press release:

Get ready for "DC in D.C." During the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, Warner Bros. Television Group, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will team up for "DC in D.C.," a landmark pop culture event that brings together the worlds of entertainment and public service to illuminate the story of America and current issues through the lens of comics and Super Heroes. Events will take place Friday, January 12, and Saturday, January 13, 2018, at the Newseum, ...

"DC in D.C." brings together stars and producers from Warner Bros. Television's DCTV series, as well as comic book writers and artists from DC Entertainment, who will join invited guests from politics, government service, entertainment, business, academia and more. The event will explore the intersection of comic books, culture, entertainment and enlightenment through a series of panel discussions open to the public. ...

Scheduled participants include:

· Executive producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, Black Lightning, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, upcoming Titans) plus television series stars Caity Lotz (DC's Legends of Tomorrow), Candice Patton (The Flash), Danielle Panabaker (The Flash), J.W. Cortes (Gotham), Russell Tovey (Freedom Fighters: The Ray) and others to be announced.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 13 - NEWSEUM

10:00-10:45 a.m. The Art of the Matter: From Sketch to Screen - Just how do our favorite DC Super Heroes fly from the page to the screen? This behind-the-scenes look at the creative process provides an "origin story" of how some of DC's greatest Super Heroes on the page have evolved into some of TV's hottest Super Heroes on screens all over the world. Join executive producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, Black Lightning, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, upcoming Titans), DC Entertainment's Geoff Johns (Arrow, The Flash, Titans) and others as they trace the explosion of DC's heroes - from ink panels to television and film screens worldwide. Additional panelists to be announced.

12:00 p.m.-12:45 p.m. Wonder Women - DC and Warner Bros. Pictures' Wonder Woman took charge of screens in an unprecedented way last summer, toppling the cinematic patriarchy and paving the way for even more super women. DC has been flexing its power with female heroes on television screens for years, including kickass characters on Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Gotham and DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Join DC's Legends of Tomorrow star Caity Lotz, The Flash stars Candice Patton and Danielle Panabaker, Berlanti Productions President Sarah Schechter (Arrow, Black Lightning, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, upcoming Titans) plus DC writers and artists Julie Benson (Batgirl and the Birds of Prey), Shawna Benson (Batgirl and the Birds of Prey), Shea Fontana (Wonder Woman, DC Super Heroes), Agnes Garbowska (DC Super Hero Girls) and Mariko Tamaki (Supergirl: Being Super) for this super-powered panel. ... Additional panelists to be announced.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2017/12/14/warner-bros-and-dc-entertainment-announce-dc-in-dc-238510/20171214wbt01/

'12 Best Musical Moments Worth Revisiting from 2017'

"Running Home to You" - The Flash / Supergirl Musical Crossover

"Duet" might've technically been an episode of The Flash. Yet it was really two musical episodes for the "price" of one as the characters and plot of Supergirl were heavily important to the crossover. Yet if there was one shining moment of the musical episode it was the final moments between Barry and Iris, which resulted in their engagement.

No, it didn't make a lot of sense. Barry's musical proposal didn't happen in the dream musical world created for "Duet." So Barry either quickly composed an original song to propose or "Running Home to You" is a smash hit in the world of The Flash, that we've never heard of before the episode. However it's justified, the scene was an incredibly romantic and memorable moment, including a terrific original song (written in the real world by La La Land's Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.) "Running Home to You" encapsulated everything about Iris and Barry's relationship and raised the bar for romance in the Arrow-verse. The song was so good in fact that it was revisited for Barry and Iris' wedding in "Crisis on Earth-X."

• Love 3

io9's The Best and Worst Television Moments of 2017:

“Super Friend,” The Flash

This was the most charmingly goofy sequence in “Duet,” a whole episode devoted to goofy musical numbers. Barry and Kara joyfully celebrating what great friends they are through the power of song is almost too sweet for its own good—but instead of being overly saccharine, it’s a delightful ditty to the brightest of the CW’s DC heroes. And Barry mocking Superman, who he’s never actually met, is just gosh-darn adorable.

They should really do another musical (or something similar) again; the "Duet" episode continues to pay dividends.

• Love 1

'Who Were America’s Most In-Demand TV Showrunners In 2017?'

... the research firm Parrot Analytics decided to weigh in with the most in-demand television showrunners based on the popularity of their shows.

The measurement company looked at the various ways U.S. viewers express their demand for television shows — from streaming video to posting on social media, commenting on fan and critic rating sites, and downloading or streaming from illicit online sources. It used its global dataset — roughly 1 billion bits of information a day — to identify which showrunners were the tops in America.

Greg Berlanti, the prolific executive producer of the CW’s slate of DC Comics shows — Supergirl, Arrow and The Flash — not to mention NBC’s Blindspot, emerged as the top showrunner for TV dramas.

The popularity of these superhero titles, especially The Flash, gave Berlanti’s shows twice the viewer demand of the next showrunner, Shonda Rhimes, whose most popular show remains ABC’s long-running drama Grey’s Anatomy.

Edited by Trini

The Winter TCA (Television Critics Association) Press Tour is coming up soon; and Jan. 7th is CW's day. It'll be producers and network execs promoting the new shows/spring seasons, and early renewal announcements. Even if they don't bring it up themselves, I assume that the Kreisberg firing will be addressed again.

Report on Grant and his fianceé from a Malaysian news site:

Gustin was here for a traditional ceremony with his fiancee Andrea Thoma, 29, a physical therapist who is half-Kadazan.

Gustin and Thoma, when met during a dinner hosted by the Sabah Tourism Board on Dec 23, were both excited to learn more about the state and the Kadazandusun culture.

Gustin said it was his first time in the country, and that he found it very beautiful with amazing people.

He said he had been learning some simple Kadazan words including Kotohuadan which means thank you and Aramaitii! (a word used during celebrations to mean “cheers”).

More at the link,

New promo for all the DC shows, featuring Grant's hiatus beard! (But then they can't show him with the beard in the suit...)

For Flash characters/actors there's Barry, Cisco, and ... the back of Kid Flash's head (no Keiynan).

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

More info about the DC in D.C. event; a pop-up shop that will feature Jitters coffee! Plus other merchandise and displays.

A fully transportable, high-tech container space that measures 40 feet by 10 feet, the DC Pop-Up Shop will not only support a DC merchandise shop, charging stations and a free Jitters coffee bar, but will also feature interactive displays covering the history of DC — from its earliest origins to the television powerhouses that those Super Heroes represent today. And even though it’s cold outside, the Pop-Up Shop is fully heated. ...

Talent Appearances & Signings: Visiting talent from both WBTV and DC Entertainment will stop by to meet fans and sign autographs. The casts from WBTV’s Gotham and Black Lightning are currently slated to attend, alongside noted DC writers and artists including Jim Lee, Tom King and Geoff Johns.

Jitters Coffee: Free coffee! Any fan of WBTV’s The Flash (Tuesdays at 8/7c on The CW) will be familiar with CC Jitters, the go-to coffee house of the extended Arrow-verse. Washington, D.C.’s DC fans will be thrilled to learn that Jitters will be open as part of the Pop-Up Shop and serving free coffee for three days (January 12–14).  Warm up with a cup in the fully-heated retail space.

DC Super Hero Costumes: On display, the actual costumes worn by Barry Allen aka The Flash (series star Grant Gustin) and Kara Danvers aka Supergirl (series star Melissa Benoist) in their respective WBTV series (The Flash airing Tuesdays at 8/7c and Supergirl on Mondays at 8/7c on The CW).

TCA press tour news; CW president Pedowitz about Kreisberg:

Pedowitz notes that storylines on The Flash and Supergirl — on which Kreisberg was more hands-on — were not changed in the wake of the allegations, though he recognizes the poorly timed introduction of misogynistic Flash character Ralph Digney (Hartley Sawyer). “Well, ironically the allegations came in after the first [Ralph] episode of the show was shot, so there was a heightened awareness as we went through it,” Pedowitz says. “It’s an old-time cartoon character, so at a moment, it became cringeworthy, but if you look at the character now, as the episodes go on, he’s not that character anymore. It was the direction it was always going to go.”

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/07/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-tomorrow-renewals/