Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Cover and excerpt from the next book in the Flash children's novels:

The Flash: Johnny Quick is written by best-selling author Barry Lyga (I Hunt Killers), and follows Barry Allen as he continues his mission to protect Central City from the sinister Hocus Pocus — but this time, with a new evil lurking beneath the city streets. ...

The new Flash book will be released April 3,

flash2_dc-copy.jpg

I'm really glad for the Iris/Marlize face-off; the symmetry is fitting. Seems sloppy that she's allowing herself to be seen with Dominic/DeVoe, though. Always happy to see Capt. Singh.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'm really glad for the Iris/Marlize face-off; the symmetry is fitting. Seems sloppy that she's allowing herself to be seen with Dominic/DeVoe, though. Always happy to see Capt. Singh.

Yeah, I agree about Marlize/DeVoe(Dominic). Perhaps, it's a part of the set-up? Otherwise, it's poor writing. 

I'm so happy to see the Iris/Marlize face-off!

• Love 1
On 1/10/2018 at 11:16 PM, Trini said:

Cover and excerpt from the next book in the Flash children's novels:

flash2_dc-copy.jpg

Huh.  Barry Lyga?  This makes me want to give this a try.  His I Hunt Killers series is good.  But dark and definitely not for children.  This feels like a good fit story and character-wise.  Funnily enough if I were to cast the characters in his book, I could easily see Grant Gustin being Jasper (main character in I Hunt Killers), Candace being his gf Connie (she's also black) and Carlos cast has Howie his best friend.

After a lackluster mid-season premiere, just what we need - a Ralph episode:

Can't wait to see how they incapacitate literally everyone so he can save the day. ? Kinda looking forward to seeing Trickster Jr. again, though.

Wrestler Goldberg Plays Rare DC Comics Villain - the comic inspiration for a character in the next episode.

Candice Patton interview about her role as Iris West:

“Now, it’s just kind of set in stone that I’m Iris West,” Patton added. “That’s a really cool thing that young girls [of color] can see themselves as the ingénue.”

“We’ve had three years of bumps between Barry and Iris so I’m happy that they’re finally married and in love and everything seems to be going well,” Patton said. “I think they’ll be conflict outside of themselves and that will be enough to entertain viewers hopefully. As far as Barry and Iris, I always want to see them as a solid unit.”

• Love 1

Kid Flash is becoming a series regular on "Legends".

Who wins the pot????

(Seriously, with Jackson leaving "Legends", and KF "put on a bus" on this show, most of us suspected this would happen).

Me, I was hoping that they would "trash" that sorry plot for "Titans" that they have been pitching for two years now, and have KF and Thea form a Titan team 

(if Oliver can be a Batman expy, then Thea can be a Nightwing expy).

Edited by Twilight Man

DC put up the 'Wonder Women' panel separately; with the highlight reel of the the DCTV women edited in, so you can get a much better look at it. Candace/Iris, Killer Frost, and Cecile are featured.

Not about The Flash specifically, but about the superhero shows on the network: 'The TV Superhero Glut Might Not Be Totally Invincible'

Mark Pedowitz, the CW’s president, said superhero shows have brought the network, whose audience was once 70 percent skewed toward women, a now equal share of male viewers. The strategy hasn't insulated the network from an industrywide slump in ratings, with 18-to-49-year-old viewership down 7.5 percent in the current season. CW’s audience is flat with last season when online and recorded viewing is taken into account, Pedowitz said, and the shows' owners also make money when past seasons are shown by Netflix Inc.

Superhero shows in general attract a young, male audience that’s hard for advertisers to reach outside of sports, according to Chris Geraci, who helped direct some $5 billion in ads for clients of the Omnicom media agency OMD. Because superhero programs are based on established characters and can be cross-promoted with related shows, they are somewhat safer bets than the typical new show. “You sort of have a built-in audience,” Geraci said.

Still, even such stalwarts as the CW are learning there are limits to what TV superheroes can sustain. There was much less competition six years ago, when “Arrow” made its debut, Pedowitz said, and now he won’t have more than four superhero shows on his air at any one time.

But he also doesn’t see an end to the superhero race. “The audience will tell you when the fatigue has set in,” Pedowitz said. “If you have a quality show or a fun show, the audience will stay with it.

Chronicles of Cisco this week is a tribute to Beebo!

Hello, friends. I know this blog is usually for light banter and yucks - a place where you can always expect a solid chuckle. But, as we all know, it can’t be fun and games all day every day. I would like to take this time to pay our respects to one of our fallen comrades. During our faceoff with The Trickster and Prank, we lost a little furry guardian, a soft blue light in a world of darkness - Beebo.

New column at DC in which they want to get in on this 'shipping' thing:

Welcome to Relationship Roundup! In this new monthly column, I'm going to be walking you through the past and present of some of the DC Universe's most important relationships—from romances to bromances and everything in between. ...

And the first comic couple they feature is Barry Allen/Iris West. Some excerpts related to the show:

Barry and Iris have been one of the DCU's most prominent couples for the last three years or so, mostly after Grant Gustin and Candice Patton boosted them to the A-List on TV, but obviously, that wasn't always the case for either of them. ...

Still, depending on your age demographic, you might have come up in an era where Barry and Iris weren't the most prominent Flash couple around. Even after Barry was officially returned (THE FLASH: REBIRTH, not to be confused with THE FLASH in the Rebirth line of comics) it took a while for them to experience their second renaissance. The New 52 put their relationship right back in the spotlight, and then #DCTV's The Flash brought it home and cemented the victory. Barry and Iris became synonymous with Flash romances once again. ...

Barry and Iris are still very much at the height of their resurgence and that's pretty unlikely to change any time soon. They're currently married now in the #DCTV universe and basically any Flash comic you pick up from 2011 onward is going to have something to do with the two of them, even if they're not romantically involved. They're still decidedly in one another's orbit.

• Love 1

Another interview with Candice (with a videp) from DC in D.C.:

How did cheerleading play a part in you becoming an actress?

I grew up in Texas, so you either played football, went to the games or was a cheerleader. I enjoyed it a lot, but then tore my ACL. I couldn’t cheer for a while, so I ended up hanging out in the theater club, and the rest is pretty much history.

It's like I wrote this. (I didn't!) It outlines all the problems I've had with Caitlin/Killer Frost these past two seasons: 'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Killer Frost?'

Other than her messy backstory with the villainous Amunet Black, neither Caitlin nor Killer Frost has much in the way of a story right now. Newcomer Ralph Dibny has taken over the “person with a dark past who learns to be a hero” arc that probably should have gone to Killer Frost, and Caitlin seems once again restricted to providing science or medical exposition when necessary. Team Flash suddenly seems remarkably chill about Caitlin’s split personalities and no one – not even Iris – seems to hold much of a grudge about her murderous tendencies from last season.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doram said:

https://heroichollywood.com/kiersey-clemons-attached-flashpoint/

The timing of this confirmation makes skeptical me believe that this is a direct consequence of the financial bomb that is Black Panther.

The article he links as his source is dated Feb. 21, before the box office info came in. But it'd probably be in DC/WB best interests to Keep the Iris West (/the Wests?) Black anyway,  since the TV show is what has helped make Iris and the Barry/Iris pairing more well-known. Plus, yeah, it wouldn't look good for them to delete a minority character.

(And 'bomb' is usually used to convey a bad performance of a film, but I think you mean the opposite?)

8 hours ago, doram said:

That was after the first weekend so it wasn't before the box office info but after. It's not a coincidence.

Duurrr... this is why I shouldn't type late at night!

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Bless Kim for this semi-plausible answer, but that whole scene is still just super-dumb to me.

TVLINE | When last we tuned into The Flash, Ralph had wheeled himself into the courtroom looking like the original DeVoe (played by Neil Sandilands), to get Barry off on the murder charge. Why in your mind did Marlize not say anything? We she privately happy to see Team Flash get a win, or was she being pragmatic in not wanting to implicate herself in the frame job?

No. 1, she was not party to [Team Flash’s] plan at all, she had no idea what was going on. She was completely blindsided. Also, I think those are the little human moments for her which make her so interesting, which makes Marlize so human. because it’s just her seeing her husband! Like, “Oh my gosh, it’s you! And I just want to look at you for a bit longer!” Those are the lovely little nuances that I enjoy about her. It was not about the plan in that moment, it was just about seeing him.

But I liked her insights on DeVoe and his plans, even if she doesn't give much more info.

• Love 1

Interview with Hartley Sawyer (Dibny) at Variety:

... I actually loved that first suit. I know a lot of people were divided on it, but I thought it was so fun. It was stupid in the best way and perfect for the character. It was [also] very comfortable. It was like a luge suit. I remember the very first fitting they asked me what I thought and I asked if we could go tighter. They asked, ‘Really?’ and I just said, ‘Yeah I think so. If we’re going to do this lets go all in.’

It must be pretty eye-opening for him to go from getting these powers that make him nearly indestructible to finding out he’s a central part of The Thinker’s grand plan.

Yeah he’s not indestructible, but he can take a lot of anything and be fine and that carte blanche of being able to do whatever he wants. But he realizes the disparity of it the situation, and he does struggle with it. It was great because it gave us more of an opportunity to explore the different sides of the character

And another Sawyer interview at TV Insider:

... Since Ralph has earned himself a place at the table with Team Flash, what effect does that have on them when he says he's not interested in being a superhero if it's going to put him at risk?

There are different reactions based on different characters.  Barry, for one, has an understanding of that and has been through that. I think especially that will come up with Iris, but she understands what it's like to be under such a severe threat and have to deal with that. You know?

The best thing is that the writers did a really nice job with Ralph interacting more with some of the other team members that he hadn't gotten a lot of time with. We develop those relationships and [Ralph gets to show] the other team members another side of him, like, 'Look, this is kind of who I really am. It's what's going on in my head.'

I gotta say this one looks like it could be really good - Helbing should write more episodes; "Enter Flashtime" trailer:

Although, I think it's a mistake for them not to show

Spoiler

... that Jay and Jesse are showing up.

• Love 1

Chronicles of Cisco:

So…the past few days haven’t been the brightest S.T.A.R. Labs has ever seen. But hey, if we’ve learned anything it’s that bad can always get badder. The long and short is that Ralph was feeling the feels for one of the bus metas who’s now… gone.  And Barry got put on an “indefinite leave of absence”.  Not from being the Flash, from CCPD.  You know, the gig that pays him and doesn’t involve him nearly dying on the regular.

But fear not, Olympic Cisco was here to brighten everyone’s day. That’s right, sports fans – I am an Olymp-a-ddict of the tallest order. And with the closing ceremonies now in the rear-view, I was jonesing for a fix.  So I figured what better way to feed my need and cheer up my comrades than to organize the inaugural Team Flash Games???

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/171395409710/sothe-past-few-days-havent-been-the-brightest

Interview with Violett Beane (Jesse Quick) about her upcoming episodes of Flash and Legends:

TVLINE | Flashtime is the same trick Barry used a few weeks ago, in the courtroom. Explain to me, Violett Beane, the principle upon which Flashtime works, because Barry didn’t quite sell us or Iris on it. 

It’s essentially that we are running so quickly that everything else is standing still. It’s less about “freezing time” and more that our bodies and thoughts are moving so quickly that we’re able to essentially freeze time. And basically the whole episode is in Flashtime. It’s Barry and Jesse and eventually Jay [Garrick, played by John Wesley Shipp] trying to figure out how to stop this bomb. We think through a few different ways, and while this all happens over the course of a whole episode, it really transpires over 10 seconds in real time, maybe? It’s cool.

Another interview with Beane:

What brings Jesse to Central City for this episode?

Beane: Jesse actually comes back to Central City to talk to her father, Harrison (Tom Cavanagh). Last time you saw them on screen there was kind of that disconnect and sort of, "I need space," kind of thing. So when Jesse comes back, she comes back because she receives an apology cube from Harrison, and so she's like, "Okay, this should be good. What does he want to talk about?" Since we've last seen her, she actually kicked him off of her team, and that's why he came back to Central City — because she just couldn't have him be part of the team anymore. So it's kind of nice. There's a lot of moments in the episode of the two of them dealing with their relationship and how to move forward.