Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The Kindness of Strangers 2018.06.13

I liked this episode actually. But there were 2 things that bummed me out. First, I was hoping for some kind of always and forever...family, there for each other, love each other etc, that included Kol. Since he even mentioned being excluded and it hurting him in this episode(I also think he wasn’t originally included because his character hadn’t been imagined at the time haha) I know he was basically a murder is always the first answer type guy at first(sound familiar?). But I think there was some redeeming of him during The Orginals. Plus let’s be honest they’re all crazy me and mine first psychopaths. 

I also wish they had finally included Marcel as an “official” family member.  He spent atleast 12 years( being generous on the low side considering how old he looked when turned lol) with them, and honestly his back and forth relationship with them is the same as the rest of the siblings.  Yea the Rebecca love might be a tad weird, but that ship has long since sailed lol 

• Love 2
(edited)

I get that Hope is in that weird teenage period where technically she isn't a legal adult, but she is old enough to make her own decisions. The sole purpose of being a parent is to teach your kids right from wrong so that they can be responsible independent adults who can make their own choices. Klaus clearly has no understanding of that since he's the control freak who still feels he has the right to make decisions for everyone in his family. While I don't know that Hope is in the right state of mind to make good choices while she's still mourning her mother's death, I understand why Freya chose to let Hope make her own decision.

I was rolling my eyes when Klaus told Freya that this wasn't his fault. Dude, did you not hear what Freya JUST said? You caused this apocalypse because you couldn't stay away from Elijah and then Hope so yes, it IS your fault. And as usual, Klaus' go to reaction whenever someone in his family doesn't agree with him, obey him, and praise him for being the great savior of the family is to accuse them of being disloyal.

It's so annoying how predictably dickish he is. Somehow he always tries to make himself the victim when he is usually the one attacking, manipulating, and bullying people. Listening to Klaus talk about how Elijah made him need him because he always saved him from his rage made me want to rage myself. Maybe if Klaus had ever attempted to exercise even the slightest bit of self control, he wouldn't have needed Elijah to constantly save him.

I'm glad that Rebekah reminded Klaus that he killed their own mother but they managed to forgive him. Klaus has done plenty of terrible things which he likes to conveniently forget most of the time.

Heh, thank goodness that Hope sent Marcel to them or they'd still be wandering around the house trying to find all of the keys. Kol was the only one who managed to find his without anyone else's help.

In all these years, I never really bought the Elijah loves Hayley thing so listening to Rebekah keep telling him that he loved her was doing nothing for me. It's sad that she's gone because she was part of their family, but not because she was Elijah's one true love.

I know it was done for dramatic effect, but when Elijah got his memories back and everyone else was just standing around watching him cry, I was like damn, no hugs for Elijah?

I get that Rebekah (and her siblings) didn't get to choose to be vampires, but it makes no sense that she is making it sound like being a vampire is so terrible because she won't grow old and have age spots. She thinks she's being noble by not letting her sadness bring Marcel down, but she's just refusing to let herself be happy.

Kol may be a lot of things, but at least he is making the best of the circumstances and being with Davina while he can. It did make me sad when Marcel said that Davina doesn't call very much anymore. He loved her so much and now she's totally ditched him for Kol. At least text to say hi every once in a while!

From a plot point of view, I get the whole "Hope wouldn't know about the music room" thing but realistically it made no sense. The music room doesn't exist anymore because it was damaged in a storm. We can see it's off of a hallway, so is that whole wing gone? Or does their square shaped compound have a rectangular hole from this ONE missing room? And I'm really supposed to believe that both Marcel and Klaus were like oh, that room got damaged? Well, let's not repair it and restore to its former glory. Just saw off the raw edges and we'll all ignore the big hole and pretend this room never existed!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I'm not a big proponent of defending Klaus generally, but in his defense  I'm pretty sure at least one of the apocalypse trigger things was Rebekah visiting Elijah.  So he wasn't the only one having difficulty following the rules. 

Also, as for letting kids make their own decisions, I was not at all on board with Klaus's controlling BS when it came to the binding ritual.  But I was on his side re Freya.  1) Hope is grieving and even adults make rash and stupid choices while grieving. And 2) the choice Hope was making was not just how to live her own life, but to risk her entire nature and possibly become a deadly thing that could ruin the world.  The whole point of splitting up the Hollow was that it was too much for a single person to handle without being taken over. So letting a 15 year old who is grieving her mother and missing her family decide to take that on was not equivalent to choosing underwater basket weaving for a major or taking a gap year. 

• Love 6

All in all the Mikaelson sibling reunion was lacking. I appreciate that Kol's happy and that he built that happiness away from (and in spite of) his family but it did nothing to combat the lackluster reunion and chemistry. If this is the last we see of Kol (likely) I'm disappointed he's exactly where he was in the s4 finale - awkwardly at peace (truce) with his siblings and entirely wrapped up in Davina, lacking details, depth and disturbingly any sense of the reality that Davina's mortal. The Kol and Elijah interacting was a nice change and Shakespeare finding its way back to Kol and Marcel... because it's the little things.

Rebekah also disappointed me with the intensity of her longing to be human even after a millennia as a vampire, it was far to reminiscent of Finn without the morality issues or dagger induced trauma and the idea that Finn was apparently content to continue as an Original for a life with Sage after centuries apart the reality that Rebekah rejected Marcel after everything because despite experiencing joy in her immortal life she hasn't learned to accept it was too much. I don't want this to be the last of Rebekah and Marcel because they deserve better yet I don't see a better end that's fair to Marcel. 

Klaus and Freya have always fascinated me and oddly the glimpse of them raising Hope together seems promising.  Klaus yells, casts blame and lashes out as a go to coping mechanism and Freya has a remarkable tolerance for accepting and ignoring what he doesn't mean while never hesitating to stand up for herself and put him in his place. Freya's ability to force reality on Klaus easily rivals Elijah's.

Klayley flashbacks were great even if the early ones with pregnant Hayley bears little resemblance to the defensive attitude ridden wolf who first came to NOLA but the scene after Hope's birth was very much appreciated. Not only Klaus naming the baby Hope Andrea but his apology to Hayley and particularly her acknowledging Klaus fighting for them and not blaming him.

I found 2 things immensely satisfying - Klaus stating that Elijah held (at least some) responsibility for Klaus' dependence because that is simply not a relationship developed by one person. And the acknowledgement that Marcel chose to be a vampire - as the only character who was given a choice before it became life or death and made an informed decision to become a vampire it's been frustrating for that fact to be overlooked.

Elijah's reaction was fitting for his character - quiet devastation and repression and any comfort offered by his watching siblings and Marcel obviously affected wouldn't have been welcomed. The idea that Klaus particularly is understanding given the circumstances is impressive for the general Mikaelson mentality but I wish Marcel's prediction that it would be a long time before Klaus and Elijah found their way back to each other would be true. Partly because I think time apart/physical distance would be best for the brothers especially Elijah but mostly because of Hope. A teenage girl who doesn't have their 1000 year bond, experience with betrayal & forgiveness/the extremes of 'always&forever' and no memory of Elijah and likely knows him best as someone her mother truly loved - Hope in no way deserves to be subjected to Elijah's presence. Elijah's apologies have always left a lot to be desired, and maybe not due to lack of sincerity, but his apology over Davina clearly fell short and  it was painful and insulting to watch his attempts to make things right with Marcel so the mere idea of Elijah confronting his 15 y/old niece and apologizing for his part in her mothers death, only days later.... Why doesn't anyone spend their energy stopping Elijah's stupid decisions?

I'm sorry but if all of s4 with The Hollow is just over and done with because Hope grew up a bit - not even triggered the wolf curse but a few years went by, I'm gonna be so freaking pissed over the pointlessness of everything.

• Love 2
On 6/14/2018 at 5:08 PM, cherbitrary said:

Well, hello shirtless Kol. You have been missed (Kol in general, shirt or no shirt. He's been my fave since Vampire Diaries)

Ah yes. This was most welcome. 

And of course Kol was the only sibling to find his own key. He did not allow himself to be distracted by anything, unlike his siblings. 

Must say that love love love DG as Elijah even more after this ep, if that's even possible. His entire physical demeanor, his presence, switched right back to Elijah's usual, controlled, suave movements when he regained all his memories, all that made him Elijah.

Also, I felt bad for Antoinette. Your fiance just saved your life, the second you start feeling better and expect the both of you to reunite as you smile at him from your sick bed...he just leaves. Wow.

• Love 3

As messed up as what Eliijah did was Hope was pretty guilty to since she put her mother in that situation to their both to blame plus I still believe his girlfriend mother manipulated him since she knew his memories had been wiped 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Also, I felt bad for Antoinette.

I can't feel at all sorry for her. She knew who Elijah was right from the beginning and knew her family's relationship with his family. She should have known only trouble could come from that relationship, especially without telling him everything she knew. And I shouldn't feel sorry for Elijah, but because I love him, I do. But really, he never should have removed his memories in the first place. We all knew it would cause nothing but trouble.

Edited by AngelKitty
  • Love 3

So Freya was really going to let Vincent take the blame for all of that? Such good friends.

I hope Marcel gets some more character development before the series is over.

That little Katherine moment was pretty funny.

Kol is now my favorite Mikaelson and I didn't see that coming at all.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sam Marie said:

Elijah's apologies have always left a lot to be desired, and maybe not due to lack of sincerity, but his apology over Davina clearly fell short and  it was painful and insulting to watch his attempts to make things right with Marcel so the mere idea of Elijah confronting his 15 y/old niece and apologizing for his part in her mothers death, only days later.... Why doesn't anyone spend their energy stopping Elijah's stupid decisions?

And in the next ep we have to hear him tell Hope that he hates himself, too.  That sort of apology always makes me roll my eyes.

(edited)
On 6/15/2018 at 10:50 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

His entire physical demeanor, his presence, switched right back to Elijah's usual, controlled, suave movements when he regained all his memories, all that made him Elijah.

So true, I remember loving Elijah when he was all GQ and tossing coins through a window to kill Vampires. Casual Elijah does not have the same sex appeal as GQ Elijah. Ironically Klaus is the exact opposite, Klaus dressed to the nines (like during the Ball on TVD) looks lame but, put him in a hoody and yum!

Keeping with my shallow take, Vincent, Josh and Marcel all looked hot in their suits. Josh has really grown from kiddie vamp in S1.

Regarding events in the episode, I don't think the Hollow story is over, I'm guessing we'll get a calm before the storm where everything goes to hell before the finale. I wonder if they're going to bring on Caroline's twins? Since they're siphoners maybe the can siphon the Hollow magic so Hope can continue to contain it?

I felt bad for Bekah, but, I wonder does she no longer have the human body option? I did like how she laid it out, how Marcel chose to be a Vampire and loves what he is, where Bekah feels that she's cursed. I suppose she can't even choose death as that would kill her line (assuming any are still living.)

Kol is fun mostly because he's sarcastic and he lampshades all the Michaelson drama. He's very much like early Spike (S2-S4) where he'd pop in, call the Scoobs on their bullshit and then disappear. The great thing about characters like that is when used sparingly you want more.  However, they can be over used and everything goes wrong after that. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
On 6/15/2018 at 10:50 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Also, I felt bad for Antoinette. Your fiance just saved your life, the second you start feeling better and expect the both of you to reunite as you smile at him from your sick bed...he just leaves. Wow.

I think Antoinette got the best outcome possible given the circumstances - Klaus and Elijah chose to save her despite her indirect role in and connections to Hayley's death which shows that even Elijah's love for her didn't survive his memories returning their bond was something Elijah wished to honor even while drowning in guilt over his actions during/because of their time together. And if Elijah's love for Antoinette wasn't ruined by remembering his past it never could have survived the reality of Hayley's death no matter what options Klaus offered Elijah running off with Antoinette would have been the ultimate insult to both her and Hayley. 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, AngelKitty said:

I can't feel at all sorry for her. She knew who Elijah was right from the beginning and knew her family's relationship with his family. She should have known only trouble could come from that relationship, especially without telling him everything she knew. And I shouldn't feel sorry for Elijah, but because I love him, I do. But really, he never should have removed his memories in the first place. We all knew it would cause nothing but trouble.

Antoinette never struck me as malicious, not during their original meeting, their seven years together or her interactions with Roman, Greta and later her father's disciples. If anything she seemed willfully naive when it came to her 'parents' determined to believe the best of them out of love despite their obvious fault which is hardly something foreign to Elijah.  Keeping Elijah's identity secret wasn't necessarily a malicious or manipulative choice - not only did Antoinette know of the Original's reputation and abilities which makes interfering with an amnesic Mikaelson's memories (which shouldn't be possible) generally a bad idea for the health of all involved. Plus she knew Elijah as the one to offer her sanctuary in escape and Klaus as the one to kill her village and her father between which the brothers had a potentially public falling out. Misguided and wrong as Antoinette proved to be I believe her intentions toward Elijah were good, Klaus spent years hunting down enemies in fear they would find Elijah vulnerable and despite how it ended, even Klaus acknowledged that Antoinette had looked after and kept Elijah safe.

• Love 2

Plot hole

How would Freya have gone to a party with Kol back in the 1900’s and have seen the music room, when she was only discovered to still be alive not all that long ago. She went with their aunt when she was a little girl. They all thought she was dead, and none of them knew she was even alive until a couple of seasons ago when their aunt came back.

(edited)
1 hour ago, alldatkittykat said:

Plot hole

How would Freya have gone to a party with Kol back in the 1900’s and have seen the music room, when she was only discovered to still be alive not all that long ago. She went with their aunt when she was a little girl. They all thought she was dead, and none of them knew she was even alive until a couple of seasons ago when their aunt came back.

I don't think that was a plot hole, IIRC Freya did go to one of their parties the last time she woke from the spell. She wanted to know her siblings and might have tried to warn them. I vaguely recall something about her abd Kol meeting in the past.

Yep, found it in her wiki.

Centuries later, desperate to find out more about her family, she traveled to New Orleans in 1914 where she attended a Christmas party thrown by her siblings. Attending as her brother, Kol's date, she was witness to Klaus's cruelty when he staked Kol in front of the entire party. Freya then puts herself in a glass coffin in the Dowager Fauline Cottage where she then repeated her hibernation cycle until present day December 31, 2012.

Edited by Morrigan2575
On 30/06/2018 at 10:02 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't think that was a plot hole, IIRC Freya did go to one of their parties the last time she woke from the spell. She wanted to know her siblings and might have tried to warn them. I vaguely recall something about her abd Kol meeting in the past.

Yep, found it in her wiki.

Thank you. I had forgotten about that. ?