Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Episode 1

When fractures within the Synth community start to appear, all hope of stability comes under threat, and both families are brought back to fight for the Green-Eyes' survival

So they really started this season with a BANG! I guess. And they're really hitting the slavery parallels (particularly the lynching) - I guess we already have our Martin Luther King and Malcolm X stand ins too. I guess Niska is going to be pro-war - is Mia wavering that way too? Of course, if it really comes to a fight, the humans will turn off the power completely to their totally-not-a-ghetto. Glad Leo is still alive. And liked the dynamic in the Hawkins family, which is surprising because they seemed almost superfluous last Season (for the most part) - other than Toby, who didn't have anything to do (this week, anyway).

Was disappointed Laura never pointed out when "5 humans were killed" in the pub bombing, she didn't respond with "And X Synths". And you'd think she'd be better in a debate given she's a lawyer. I find it hard to believe she doesn't have more support - you'd expect the odd activist student at least to be on her side (though she did mention somebody quit after the abuse they received).

Was that ending meant to be reminiscent of "I am Spartacus!"?

• Love 1

There was a very ominous feel to this episode. It's clear that things are going to go horribly wrong. It's just a question of how bad things are going to get. I have a bad feeling about Mattie and Max's  chances of survival. Mattie because of the multiple comments about Laura losing her children and Max because he is too good. He definitely has similarities to both non-violent civil rights leaders and Jesus with his turn the other cheek philosophy.

One thing I did wonder about was the formation of synth personalities. Obviously human personalities are formed through a combination of genetics and life experiences. The synths don't have genetics so their personality is formed by their experiences but their experiences from before the awakening had no emotion attached so can they be formative? Is it only their experiences after the awakening that shape them? If the orange eyed synths were awakened and treated with kindness and respect could you prevent the formation of violent personalities?

• Love 1

I gave this show another shot after losing interest early in Season 2. 
But this show is still a wannabe soap opera with actors wearing colored contacts and pretending to be robots - and not doing a very good job of it. The whole racism angle could have been done with any type of life form : aliens, mutants, etc. 
There is just not enough actual science, or even science fiction, to hold my interest. I am not interested in androids falling in love, becoming terrorists, or whatever. 

The show completely ignores anything to do with how and why such androids would be manufactured in the first place. Why not self-driving cars or automated smart houses? Why do *all* the androids have hair, fingernails, sex organs, etc? If they pose a danger, why would androids be allowed to be manufactured to look like individual humans? 

• Love 2

I liked the first season a lot, the 2nd less so.  I'm concerned after watching this episode that I may not make it through season 3.  The green eyes don't seem too smart, I understand they are herded and hunted down, but why aren't they focused on developing ways to b;end in, like Karen did for years.  As someone said, why not order supplies on-line? The messaging is SO heavy-handed, from the barbed-wire camps to the Jesus-like Max, that I feel that I should only use 10% of my brain watching this.

• Love 4

Where are the hot guy synths?  That's what I wanna know.  The females like Niska and Mia are almost unnaturally beautiful,  but the dearth of pulchritudinous hunks is annoying in a show where the lure of having sex with one is a prominent theme. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I gave this show another shot after losing interest early in Season 2. 
But this show is still a wannabe soap opera with actors wearing colored contacts and pretending to be robots - and not doing a very good job of it. The whole racism angle could have been done with any type of life form : aliens, mutants, etc. 
There is just not enough actual science, or even science fiction, to hold my interest. I am not interested in androids falling in love, becoming terrorists, or whatever. 

The show completely ignores anything to do with how and why such androids would be manufactured in the first place. Why not self-driving cars or automated smart houses? Why do *all* the androids have hair, fingernails, sex organs, etc? If they pose a danger, why would androids be allowed to be manufactured to look like individual humans? 

Actually, the eyes are colored in post-production. The actors don't wear contact. I follow Gemma Chan on Twitter and she sometimes posts pics from on-set. It's strange to see them filming with their natural eye color.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Where are the hot guy synths?

I get your meaning, but I gotta say, new rebellious Synth guy was pretty hot. Hope he doesn't get his brains blown out. 

Wow, this is like every single racism story all mashed up into one! I hope they narrow things down a bit more, I think it would make the story flow better. Also, what total moron decided to make a whole new line of Synths after all of this? Are these people so lazy that they cant just clean their own damn houses? Try to integrate the ones still around, or just pay them! I get why that would take some time to get used to, but it seems like a much better idea than sticking all the sentient Synths into a ghetto, and creating all new ones, that they still cant really guarantee are any different than the last ones? 

If anyone stops the Synth terrorists, I put money on Niska. Loved her giving money to the homeless guy,and her banter with her girlfriend, before things went to hell. 

• Love 3

It can be a cookie-cutter racism story with synths being the new oppressed minority.

I thought in previous seasons they touched on people losing their jobs as synths took over.  That is something we would expect with automation.  Joe lost his job to a synth and now he's selling produce.

So there would always be an element of resentment, because working class people are not the only ones being displaced by synths, even before this awakening event (Day Zero) which caused 100,000 casualties -- in the montage they showed an airliner dropping out of the sky.

But it kind of feels like they dispensed with the previous seasons with that brief montage.  The awakening happened over the first two seasons and now they're dealing with the aftermath.

• Love 1

I actually feel sorry for Joe.  His life pretty much went to hell, but isn't he the one who brought in Mia in the first place?   He seems oddly okay with being a greengrocer.,.. suspect he will flip out one day and become a synth hunter or something.

• Love 1

Sweet, the other "android vs. human" show!  Only a little less violent and way more British!

They certainly were not subtle over the racist analogies.  Hell, that even have humans flat-out lynch Synths.  Although, really, as soon as Max was dancing with that one nice Synth, they might as well have just had her say "Well, I'm off to die now and make you feel pain.  Sorry, Max!"

At least Niska's girlfriend didn't die in the bombing, but she's still pissed off.  And pissed off Niska is bad news for everyone!

It took me a day and a half to recognize Ukweli Roach as the Synth that seems to be Max's buddy.  He looks way different here then he does as Borden on Blindspot.

Some things will never change though, and it is nice to see the Hawkins are as dysfunctional as always!

We'll see where this season goes, I guess, but no matter what, I know I'll always keep watching for the lovely and extremely talented Gemma Chan.  The show really struck gold with her casting (and I'm glad she's been getting more prominent roles like in the upcoming Captain Marvel!) 

Ugh, listening to Sophie's class being indoctrinated was disgusting. It's bad enough that the synths have been forced to live in what are essentially refugee camps which are being raided, but now they're also teaching kids that green eyes are BAD.

I love that Niska still has a wry sense of humor. When Max asked how she got to the camp and she said, "Charm," in her deadpan way, I had to laugh.

Poor Mattie. I hope her guilt doesn't swallow her alive.