Type keyword(s) to search

The Dick Van Dyke Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Did anyone else thing this week's 2 episodes ("Never Bathe on Saturday" and "Where Did I Come From?") were lighter than last week's (“Baby Fat” and “The Bottom of Mel Cooley’s Heart”)?

Yes, but I think last week was a tribute to Carl Reiner.  He was prominently featured in both episodes.  

32 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Did anyone else thing this week's 2 episodes ("Never Bathe on Saturday" and "Where Did I Come From?") were lighter than last week's (“Baby Fat” and “The Bottom of Mel Cooley’s Heart”)?

Yes, but I think last week was a tribute to Carl Reiner.  He was prominently featured in both episodes. 

Oh, sorry, I meant the the video looked a little washed out to me, and I was wondering if others had seen that too, or if it was something technical on my end
--although yes, the story lines were emotionally "lighter" too.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, sorry, I meant the the video looked a little washed out to me, and I was wondering if others had seen that too, or if it was something technical on my end
--although yes, the story lines were emotionally "lighter" too.

Oops, sorry about the misunderstanding. 😮 🙂

• Love 1

I do think last week's shows were better quality, but these were good too.  Something about the way Rob lies in bed, practicing putting his hat on in case Laura was ready to have the baby, always makes me laugh.  Weird seeing the Petries in a different house.

Millie said Rob looked like Ben Turpin with his moustache.  I confess I had to look up who that was.  I always wonder if somewhere in an alternative universe somewhere, Rob still has that moustache on his face.

I noticed the yellow/gold tones in these episodes, more 60s colors.  We used to have some chairs in similar gold colored fabric back in the day.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2021 at 3:36 PM, rmontro said:

I do think last week's shows were better quality, but these were good too.  Something about the way Rob lies in bed, practicing putting his hat on in case Laura was ready to have the baby, always makes me laugh.

Dick Van Dyke’s wonderful physical comedy was really showcased in these 2 episodes! He's like a tall, funny gymnast!

Edited by shapeshifter
Typo
  • Love 6

Here's a fun one to watch for, especially if you enjoy behind-the-scenes tidbits.

Some posters on here mentioned that while Buddy and Mel always traded insults, Morey Amsterdam and Richard Deacon were actually friends.  They would get together between takes to work out some of the insult jokes.

If you watch the episode The Vigilante Ripped My Sportscoat, you'll notice a neat little moment between the actors.

The opening scene is a complex gag that needs perfect timing.   It involves Mel, Buddy, Sally, and a cup of yogurt.  The scene goes off with perfect timing!

Watch for a quick shot of Morey Amsterdam.  He is trying to stay in character and not start laughing.  He has a look on his face that says:

"I can't believe it!  The gag worked!"

Don't you just love little moments like that?

• Love 5

One of my favorite episodes aired last night--the one where Rob goes skiing and gets a bruised body and tries to hide it from Laura.  I especially love the scene in the hospital when he and Jerry are interacting.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

One of my favorite episodes aired last night--the one where Rob goes skiing and gets a bruised body and tries to hide it from Laura.  I especially love the scene in the hospital when he and Jerry are interacting.  

Batteries. The telegraph was developed in the 1830s before ac electricity. It used electromagnetic needles.

2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Batteries. The telegraph was developed in the 1830s before ac electricity. It used electromagnetic needles.

Am I the only nerd who follows lots of old sitcoms and thinks this was meant for the MASH thread?

• Love 2
On 6/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Lol--I was trying to figure it out.  😄

I was trying to figure out if there was a scene I didn't remember where there was a blizzard at the hospital near the ski lodge, and the phones were down, so they had to resort to using a telegraph  😀

• Love 1
(edited)

Another few minutes that are enjoyable to watch if you are a Mel Cooley fan:

The episode "The Life and Love of Joe Coogan" opens with Rob, Buddy, Mel, and Joe in the clubhouse after a round of golf.

Mel is relaxed and very charming.  He is exactly the kind of person you would want to attend your barbecue.

I really enjoy moments where we see Richard Deacon's true personality shine through.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

MeTV showed the episode "Jilting the Jilter" last night (season 2, episode 31, about a comedian named Freddy White who wants to marry Sally so she can write jokes for his act.  Rob and Buddy take exception to this, and write him an act so he will leave her alone.  

This is why I'm writing this post.  He performs the act on the show and talks about how great it is, and everyone seems to like it.  But I've watched this episode several times, and every time I watch it, I can't help but think how weak and unfunny the act is.  Guy Marks (who plays White) does an imitation of a fly and an ostrich, but none of it so much as brought a grin to my face.  

Marks was a comedian as well as an actor, so I always wonder if that bit was part of his act.  Because usually the writing on The Dick Van Dyke show is much more clever, like Rob imitating a bowling pin or a car on a car lot.  But this act just seemed lame to me.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, rmontro said:

He performs the act on the show and talks about how great it is, and everyone seems to like it.  But I've watched this episode several times, and every time I watch it, I can't help but think how weak and unfunny the act is. 

Yeah, I've always thought the same.  For me, it could also have something to do with the fact that I hated the character--he was such a deadbeat and a grifter.  Maybe if he had been a nice guy, I would have thought more highly of his act.  

I always wonder if that bit was part of his act

I looked him up on Wikipedia and apparently it was indeed a part of his act.  It says:

he also could imitate a housefly on a slippery oil cloth, neon signs, alligators, driftwood furniture, rubber bands, frozen chickens, frogs, praying mantis, and — his favorite — an ostrich, all of which found their way into his act or in characters he played on TV.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I looked him up on Wikipedia and apparently it was indeed a part of his act.  It says:

Thanks, that was informative.  I didn't think his act matched the vibe of The Dick Van Dyke show, and what was supposed to be Rob's comedy writing.  

I don't think the fact that the character was a jerk was the reason the act leaves me cold.  It genuinely seems unfunny to me.  He doesn't do a bad imitation of flies and ostriches, but it just wasn't funny.

• Love 1

Sometimes Rob et al. write an act for a famous comedian who will be a guest on the show.  If the guest will be doing a skit with Alan Brady, it's reasonable for them to write it, but wouldn't famous comedians want their own writers to write their solo acts?

55 minutes ago, Driad said:

Sometimes Rob et al. write an act for a famous comedian who will be a guest on the show.  If the guest will be doing a skit with Alan Brady, it's reasonable for them to write it, but wouldn't famous comedians want their own writers to write their solo acts?

I don't recall the episode discussed directly above, but I do recall an episode in which Rob pretended to be Alan's tailor because the guest didn't want any of Alan's writers working on the script. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

But although the guy playing the part was a famous comedian, wasn't the character he played more of a struggling comedian who never made it big?    

23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't recall the episode discussed directly above, but I do recall an episode in which Rob pretended to be Alan's tailor because the guest didn't want any of Alan's writers working on the script. 

Yes, that was when Alan was going to be on Broadway (his dream) and the play was lousy, though it was written by an acclaimed playwright.  He asked Rob to punch up the script and not say anything.

• Love 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

But although the guy playing the part was a famous comedian, wasn't the character he played more of a struggling comedian who never made it big?

I was not referring to the "struggling comedian wants to marry Sally" episode, but to others.  I don't remember the details, but the show had various famous (or "famous") guest stars.  As I said, I think a famous comedian would want his own writers to write his solo act for the Alan Brady show.

Edited by Driad

Saw the episode "Uncle George" last night, where Rob's Uncle George visits and wants Rob to find him a wife.  They try setting him up with Herman Glimscher's mother, but he goes for Sally instead.  

As I've been watching these again, I'm noticing a pattern where several shows are driven by some wacky character that they bring in to guest star, and revolve the story around.  This was one of the weaker examples of that IMO, the whole show seemed a bit weird, and Uncle George was very over the top.

One thing I read on imdb that surprised me:  The actor who played Uncle George (Denver Pyle) is actually a year younger than the actor who played Herman Glimscher (Bill Idelson).  On the show Uncle George was much older than Herman.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Apparently there is going to be a 60th Anniversary tribute show.  Here's the teaser, thought it was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4O26UCJnM

Pretty great! 
I wonder how much of Dick Van Dyke's physical comedy in that bit was improvised and how much was choreographed. 
Mary Tyler Moore didn't ever miss a chance to show comedic facial expressions whenever the camera was on her.
And she sings better than I knew too!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder how much of Dick Van Dyke's physical comedy in that bit was improvised and how much was choreographed.

What bit are you referring to?

Here's another video I found for those that are interested.  It's a collection of behind the scenes photos from the show, some in color.   There's a great color photo of the Petrie's kitchen at the 2:53 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy6Z0NPpDGE

• Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

All of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4O26UCJnM   
—but especially the conducting. 

Strange, there must be some sort of disconnect.  All I get from that link is a six second teaser promo of some guy I don't recognize sitting in a digital recreation of the writer's office from the show.

But I guess you're talking about the conducting from the Christmas Show, where they were singing the "Alan Brady" song, but everyone kept putting in their own names.  MeTV showed that episode Sunday. 

They also showed "The Third One From the Left" where a jealous Ernie punches Rob in the stomach, and he walks around bent over for a bit.  That's a nice bit of physical comedy also.

27 minutes ago, rmontro said:

But I guess you're talking about the conducting from the Christmas Show, where they were singing the "Alan Brady" song, but everyone kept putting in their own names.  MeTV showed that episode Sunday

Yes. I just fixed it above. I was sure that was where your link took me too. Weird.

Anyway, I did wonder how much of the physical comedy of Rob conducting was ad libbed by Dick Van Dyke. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:47 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I just fixed it above. I was sure that was where your link took me too. Weird.

Anyway, I did wonder how much of the physical comedy of Rob conducting was ad libbed by Dick Van Dyke. 

Yep, it's working now!  Good question, there's a lot going on there.

2 hours ago, rubaco said:

96 years old but he can still dance! This is a joy to watch.

For sure, and he looks as trim as ever.  I find it a comfort that he is still alive.  Nice bit with the ottoman at the end too.

• Love 5

One of our local channels plays 'vintage' tv shows during the day and last week they started showing The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Oh my god I had forgotten how good this show was!  Dated, sure, but if you can put that aside these shows are comedy gold.  I hope they show all 5 seasons!

50 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

One of our local channels plays 'vintage' tv shows during the day and last week they started showing The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Oh my god I had forgotten how good this show was!  

I've said this before, so apologies for repeating myself.  But I've always put The Dick Van Dyke Show at #1 of my all time best shows, and I sincerely believe that.  For awhile there I thought Game of Thrones was going to "dethrone" it, but then they had that last season...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SusannahM said:

One of our local channels plays 'vintage' tv shows during the day and last week they started showing The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Oh my god I had forgotten how good this show was!  Dated, sure, but if you can put that aside these shows are comedy gold.  I hope they show all 5 seasons!

I'll start by saying the series is one of my all-time favorites, and "sophisticated comedy" is still the phrase that best describes it, for me. But on the subject of "dated" - there's an episode where Rob and Laura play matchmaker for a new neighbor, and the big punchline is that he doesn't want to get serious with a woman because he has a tendency to hit them. Oh man, "cringe" doesn't even begin to cover my reaction to that episode.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I'll start by saying the series is one of my all-time favorites, and "sophisticated comedy" is still the phrase that best describes it, for me. But on the subject of "dated" - there's an episode where Rob and Laura play matchmaker for a new neighbor, and the big punchline is that he doesn't want to get serious with a woman because he has a tendency to hit them. Oh man, "cringe" doesn't even begin to cover my reaction to that episode.

Is it this one?

Season 3 Episode 16 "The Lady and the Tiger and the Lawyer" January 15, 1964

Rob and Laura become competitive matchmakers for bachelor Arthur Stanwyck (Anthony Eisley), who just moved into the neighborhood. Rob sets him up with Sally, and Laura arranges a date with her clumsy but sophisticated cousin Donna Palmer. After hosting two dinner parties, Rob and Laura are totally confused at who makes the better match between the two extremely different women. Only Arthur may shed some light on whom he favors, what he intends on doing, and why.

If so, I will try to find time to catch at least that scene. 
I'm wondering if the writers were subversively trying to bring attention to domestic violence through humor, as was often done on Barney Miller, although I suspect the subliminal message went right by those viewers to whom it was directed, resulting in those viewers just laughing and not achieving any awakening.

That's the episode. Found this:

In the season three episode “The Lady and the Tiger and the Lawyer,” Rob and Laura become competitive matchmakers over a new neighbor. They try their best to find a suitable woman for this bachelor, but they eventually find out the man hits women he loves.

Physical abuse is never something to joke about—even today, in 2020. While these situations still happen today and can be a storyline on a show, this episode includes jokes and laughter about the man hitting women. Rob reacts awkwardly at the news, but this shouldn’t have been a storyline at all.

10 jokes on the Dick Van Dyke show that didn't age well.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if the writers were subversively trying to bring attention to domestic violence through humor, as was often done on Barney Miller, although I suspect the subliminal message went right by those viewers to whom it was directed, resulting in those viewers just laughing and not achieving any awakening.

The episode's on YouTube, and the big reveal comes at the tail end. Rob and Laura are suitably freaked out by his confession, but it's mystifying why the writers thought that was a "funny" trait for the character to admit to. They were talented enough to find another resolution to the story.

51 minutes ago, rubaco said:

The episode's on YouTube, and the big reveal comes at the tail end. Rob and Laura are suitably freaked out by his confession, but it's mystifying why the writers thought that was a "funny" trait for the character to admit to. They were talented enough to find another resolution to the story.

I just watched the episode. It's also on the free version of Peacock. 
All I can say is: Weird.

19 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I agree with the commenter I linked to above - this episode should never have been written, let alone aired. If they were trying to highlight the problem of domestic abuse, they did a very poor job of it.

Plus the recurring bit with Rob and Laura pinching each other enough to cause pain–—although Dick Van Dyke hammed up the pain, while MTM did not. Maybe MTM hated the episode? Or was that direction? I doubt there’s anyone still alive who would do an interview explaining how that episode came to be written.

ETA: The setup of the too-eligible bachelor seemed like it wanted to be that he was gay. 
Now I’m speculating that the original premise was that he was gay, and the network execs squelched that plot, so the writers gave them something so distasteful that the gay plot would seem better to them, but the execs wouldn’t back down.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

I don't know if that was the original plot, but no way would the network let it go through.  They still had Rob and Laura sleeping in separate beds.  They would have kicked a gay character to the curb without a thought,

Unfortunately, spousal abuse was played for laughs in this era.  The black eye episode from I Love Lucy has Ethel drooling at the thought of Ricky belting Lucy.   And of course there's Ralph Kramden.    

• Love 2

ETA: The setup of the too-eligible bachelor seemed like it wanted to be that he was gay. 

In 1964 prime time?  No chance.

Funny thing is the broadcast company would be keeping it out back then, and now it would be telling them to put it in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have absolutely never seen that episode.  If it is still being aired in the re-run lineup I will probably give it a pass.  Partly because, yuck, but also because I only have so much outrage in me right now and I'm using it up on a lot of other stuff so I really don't want to do it on on this.  But I am getting riled up just reading about it!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I have absolutely never seen that episode.  If it is still being aired in the re-run lineup I will probably give it a pass.  Partly because, yuck, but also because I only have so much outrage in me right now and I'm using it up on a lot of other stuff so I really don't want to do it on on this.  But I am getting riled up just reading about it!

I don't think it's something to be outraged about.  The tone is a little off, but nowhere in the episode do they condone the guy's behavior.  In fact, they are very pleased that he is not going to be dating Sally or Cousin Donna.  And the guy is getting psychiatric treatment for it, which he seems to be following.  I would think Ralph Kramden's idle threats to Alice about "going to the moon" would be more disturbing, although The Honeymooners is more cartoonish.

• Useful 2
On 2/23/2022 at 1:20 PM, rmontro said:

I've said this before, so apologies for repeating myself.  But I've always put The Dick Van Dyke Show at #1 of my all time best shows, and I sincerely believe that.  For awhile there I thought Game of Thrones was going to "dethrone" it, but then they had that last season...

My all-time favorite sitcom is The Dick Van Dyke Show and my all-time favorite drama is Breaking Bad.  I don't want to put them in the same category (TV shows) and have to pick one, since I love them both so much. 🙂    

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

My all-time favorite sitcom is The Dick Van Dyke Show and my all-time favorite drama is Breaking Bad.  I don't want to put them in the same category (TV shows) and have to pick one, since I love them both so much. 🙂    

Never got into Breaking Bad, I think I saw an episode of two.  Maybe someday I'll binge watch it.  That's definitely one of those shows people speak very highly of.  As far as sitcoms go, I just really think the quality of The Dick Van Dyke Show has yet to be surpassed, with the writing and creativity and the acting involved.  Plus it always stayed classy.

• Love 2

This is probably a silly post, but I saw the "Baby Fat" episode last night, where Rob has to secretly rewrite a play Alan is starring in.  Laura makes rob a sardine sandwich on white bread, and he adds tomato and onion on it.  I thought that was a really strange sandwich to eat, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone eating one before.  Was this something that was popular back in the '60s?

I know sardines are supposed to be good for you, but honestly I've only liked the ones with mustard sauce on them, and I eat them on crackers.  Never thought of eating sardines on a sandwich (I doubt these had the mustard).  I suppose the tomato and onion makes it a little more palatable.  Most people I know are repulsed by sardines.  Does anyone eat a sandwich like this, or think it sounds appetizing?

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, rmontro said:

This is probably a silly post, but I saw the "Baby Fat" episode last night, where Rob has to secretly rewrite a play Alan is starring in.  Laura makes rob a sardine sandwich on white bread, and he adds tomato and onion on it.  I thought that was a really strange sandwich to eat, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone eating one before.  Was this something that was popular back in the '60s?

I know sardines are supposed to be good for you, but honestly I've only liked the ones with mustard sauce on them, and I eat them on crackers.  Never thought of eating sardines on a sandwich (I doubt these had the mustard).  I suppose the tomato and onion makes it a little more palatable.  Most people I know are repulsed by sardines.  Does anyone eat a sandwich like this, or think it sounds appetizing?

I know sardine sandwiches are often mentioned as part of British afternoon tea in older novels.  Never tried one myself, and highly doubt I ever will!

• LOL 2
On 2/28/2022 at 5:26 PM, Harry24 said:

I know sardine sandwiches are often mentioned as part of British afternoon tea in older novels. 

I didn't realize that, but it makes sense since the British eat a lot of fish, being surrounded by sea and all.  I wonder if anyone involved had British ancestry?

The tomato and onion almost makes me want to try it, but it seems like it might be more palatable on toast.  Maybe.  And some sort of sauce would probably help.

EDITED TO ADD:

I saw a recipe for a sardine salad sandwich, which is basically like a tuna salad sandwich except it swaps out the tuna for sardines.  You know, mash them up with mayonnaise, celery, and onions and spread it on toast (or bread).  I wonder what that would taste like?  I tried something similar substituting crab meat for the tuna, but I didn't care for it.

Edited by rmontro
(edited)

I just saw the "Talented Neighbourhood" episode - cameos from a few of Dick Van Dyke's children and an appearance by Barry Livingston who would go on to play Ernie on My Three Sons.   Anyway what a reminder that this show is a few years old!  I checked out the IMDB for the boy who played young Martin - he seemed to stop acting by the end of the 1960s but does have one recent credit playing "old man" in an episode of Roswell.  Sigh.

Edited by SusannahM
7 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I just saw the "Talented Neighbourhood" episode 

Just out of curiosity, where are you watching your episodes?  Some of us are watching on MeTV, but I know the show is available on a LOT of streaming platforms.  How do you feel about sardine sandwiches?  :)