Type keyword(s) to search

The Dick Van Dyke Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, Gemma Violet said:

MeTV recently showed the episode where Sally advertises for a husband on the Stevie Parsons show and ends up with her beau Herman Glimpsher.  I wonder if Herman ever managed to cut those apron strings. 😁

In the 2004 reunion special, Sally & Herman were married!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 12/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, sharmar said:

In the 2004 reunion special, Sally & Herman were married!

The character of Herman Glimpsher hits different as we get older.

Younger me enjoyed a good laugh at the very idea of Sally being attracted to him.  He's a momma's boy.  Can't even handle drinking cold milk.  Must be home early.

Older me has a different opinion.  

He respects his mother, and is always respectful of Sally.  He is careful with money, but wants to pay his fair share, as shown by his desire to pay for Sally and his dinner.  He would probably be proud of Sally's accomplishments instead of jealous of them.

Not only am I not surprised he and Sally were married in the reunion show, but I don't think Sally "settled" in any way.

Funny how your view changes as you get older.

• Like 4

He's a pretty decent guy, but he always put his mother's interests before Sally's.  That doesn't bode well for marriage unless the mother learned to back off a bit and let him breathe. 

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

He's a pretty decent guy, but he always put his mother's interests before Sally's.  That doesn't bode well for marriage unless the mother learned to back off a bit and let him breathe. 

Hate to say it, but maybe by then his mother was out of the picture?  There's also an old saying I've heard women use:  Watch how he treats his mother, because that's how he's going to treat you.

• Useful 1

I was watching SNL this past weekend and they had a bowling sketch, which was mainly about the animations that play in bowling alleys when you get a strike or whatever.  But these weren't animations, it was live action, and they featured actors dressed up as bowling pins.  I couldn't help but think of the classic Alan Brady bowling pin sketch that Rob unknowingly stole from Uncle Spunky, in the episode "When a Bowling Pin Talks, Listen".  Here's a link to the SNL sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liFMHS_ntUI

• Like 3
On 1/25/2024 at 1:46 PM, HyeChaps said:

It looks like Pluto has dropped the dedicated Dick Van Dyke channel 

There are also a lot of full episodes on YouTube now (free).

• Useful 2
On 3/12/2024 at 12:17 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

The Dick Van Dyke Show Took A Risk In Season 3 That Transformed '60s TV

https://www.slashfilm.com/1536957/the-dick-van-dyke-show-season-3-risk-transformed-60s-tv/

MTM should have gotten something like a Nobel Peace Prize for her acting here:

It isn't until Laura — who thought Rob's notion was ridiculous from the start — breaks into a big smile and invites Mrs. Peters into the living room that the audience both laughs and applauds.

• Like 2

It's amazing how much courage this took back then.  The studio wanted an Asian couple on standby in case the audience rejected the idea of a black family, and Carl insisted they go in with the black couple no matter what

It's disappointing that years later, people with much more money and much more power couldn't be bothered to even try to carry on what Carl Reiner started.

There's a video of Jerry Seinfeld where a fan asks him why with all of Seinfeld's guest stars, not one single black comedian was on the show.  Jerry gets angry and says,  "Why does it matter?  It's not the census!"

Even with all the pressure and all the threats, Carl Reiner and those from the Dick Van Dyke show never said,  "Why does it matter?"

It just DID.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I love the show. I’m so glad I have a Roku tv because there is a channel on Roku. Channel 343 which is called The Dick Van Dyke Show and the channel is ALL DVD show episodes 24 hours a day. Nothing but DVD episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Remember the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire when she gets on the kids about watching The Dick Van Dyke Show and makes them do their homework?  I got in a few arguments about that, because I thought she should have let them watch TDVDS first. 

It's not like they were watching trash.  IMO watching this show would be beneficial for kids.  It's arty, it's classy, and it has a high moral standard.  It's not like they were watching Married with Children or something like that.  Kids these days would probably grow up a lot better getting a steady diet of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 4