Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Don't It Just Break Your Heart?

A mysterious clue sent to Klaus leads him one step closer to finding Hayley. Antoinette opens up to Elijah after her past comes back to haunt her. Meanwhile, Marcel makes a decision that puts him at odds with Klaus. Finally, Hope takes matters into her own hands to fix the mess that she's created.

Promo:

(edited)

The purity of vampires!!!! Okay you dumb crazy wretches. How are you going to talk to the first vampires about what is or isn't pure?!?!? How are you an apex predator when the sun, a thing that is out for 12 hours a day every day, can kill you? That's like Signs level stupid. How are you an apex anything when a witch has to make your daylight ring and a witch's spell gave you your powers? How is being a vampire superior if your Original sire dies then everyone in that line dies? I think the show just wanted viewers to hate the new bad guys more than we hate Klaus. Done. Vampire supremacists. So dumb.

Also when did they have years of peace in New Orleans? Prior to season 1, Marcel had the witches under his thumb and had the werewolves cursed and exiled. There's been a decade of feuding since Klaus came back in town and 7 years of peace between season 4 and 5. Putting the discord on Hayley and Hope makes no sense.

Hope is a very very dumb super mostest bestest kid in the world.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

So when Klaus's history of wiping out entire packs of wolves had been conveniently swept under the rug to push this fantastical racism/"passing" narrative?

• Love 1

Oh, Klaus, you still can't see the hypocrisy of your actions. Here he is railing on about his family betraying him after he's just admitted that he daggered Rebekah, put her in a coffin, and then sent fake letters from Rebekah to Elijah. For him, betrayal from his siblings is Elijah not letting him murder someone he didn't like and giving Hope the choice to bind her werewolf side in order to save her mother. How dare anyone else make choices? Klaus gets to make all the decisions for everyone!

I was rolling my eyes at his self righteous indignation about how August killed all of those werewolves. You know, as opposed to all of the vampires and humans that Klaus has killed just for fun, the werewolves he slaughtered during his "I want to create a hybrid army because nobody loves me" phase, or because he perceived any kind of insult to his honor. Remember when he killed everyone at an inn because someone was snoring too loudly? He really took the cake when he was going on about how the Khmer Rouge, the Hutu, and the Turks in Armenia "left death and suffering in their wake buckled under the weight of their own hatred." Sound familiar yet, Klaus?

I don't know why he thinks he humiliated August's family and that that their shame has been their motivation. I think that their Greta and Roman's motivation has been revenge for August.

Am I supposed to be giving Klaus a slow clap for FINALLY realizing that his petulant dickish murderous behavior has repercussions? Because no.

Ha, I KNEW that Roman was shady from the minute he started talking to Hope in the first episode! I guess at least now we have an explanation for his stalker behavior. Yeah, it's totally normal to ditch school and go to New Orleans so you can hover outside a girl's window and ask to be invited in! And now he isn't just a creepy stalker. He's a racist stalker who wants to murder/torture/bind a 15 year old girl for something she had nothing to do with.

Earlier in the season I had a weak theory that Antoinette knew who Elijah was when he ran into her and that she was somehow a family enemy, but I noticed that when Klaus came to France, he didn't seem to recognize her so I took that as a sign that she was just some random girl. But now we know that he did interact with her at least a little bit back then. I'm not surprised he didn't recognize her though. When you slaughter people for a thousand years, sometimes the faces blend together, right?

• Love 8

I liked Hope's werewolf side emerging, but she's super cavalier about having to take a life.  What sort of exposure has she had to humans, anyway? Alaric?  She obviously doesn't respect him very much.  Freya was my favorite character this week.  Josh, too, for continuing to have some backbone.  This whole Nazi thing was really unnecessary.  If the flashback had taken place later in the 30s, I would have thought Klaus' jacket was a Hugo Boss.  I laughed out loud when Klaus said that Marcel needed to be loved.   It was never going to be easy for Klaus to be a better person, but he really is regressing, and some of it feels like bad writing.   This season just feels like a prequel for Legacies.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ursula said:

So when Klaus's history of wiping out entire packs of wolves had been conveniently swept under the rug to push this fantastical racism/"passing" narrative?

Yes, YEEESSSS. Him and Hayley since she willingly allowed twelve wolves to be slaughtered for some info on her parents years ago (ok so this happened on TVD but still). There are times when I wonder if his constant hypocrisy will cause his head to explode one day.

I so felt for Josh. Dragged into Klaus' mess yet again and gets an ass whooping for it. 

Vincent was sorely missed. The lack of Hayley, however, is still most welcome. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Him and Hayley since she willingly allowed twelve wolves to be slaughtered for some info on her parents years ago (ok so this happened on TVD but still).

And even before then, he and Stefan went on a tour across the States, seeking out the already endangered few wolf packs that existed, trying and failing to turn them into hybrids and wiping out entire packs until he figured out how to do it properly.

I mean what Klaus did was straight up genocide. The werewolf packs were already in hiding from vampires, and Klaus used his usual tools of torture and intimidation to ferret them out, and basically experiment on them, slaughtering them in the process until he got his hybrid formula right, a formula that involved enslaving werewolves.

So to watch an episode of Klaus railing and wailing about the Oppression of His Kind is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I so felt for Josh. Dragged into Klaus' mess yet again and gets an ass whooping for it. 

Vincent was sorely missed. The lack of Hayley, however, is still most welcome. 

Yes to all of this! I was afraid that Greta was going to kill Josh so I was relieved that he was just REALLY badly beaten (and lucky to still have a face).

I'm always fine with no Hayley, but I always miss Vincent.

I know that Hope is just a teenager with a crush, but when a boy tells you that he was dessicated in a cave "by a vampire," ASK WHO DID IT!

Although I understand that Freya was trying to get Hope to see different sides of what was happening, I was kind of getting whiplash from her switching sides so quickly. First she was warning Hope that being a werewolf is something that Hayley never wanted for her because it's so painful to change. Then next she was telling Hope that binding her werewolf side would take away a part of herself. You mean the part of her that you JUST said her mom didn't want her to have to become? Don't get me wrong - I get that Freya was trying to help Hope see that becoming a werewolf or binding her werewolf side are both big decisions which should not be taken lightly. It was just jarring to see her to go back and forth so quickly. The best thing though was that she wanted Hope to be able to make the decision herself, unlike Klaus.

• Love 2

I'll b the lone voice of dissent and say I agreed with a lot of Klaus's choices in this episode. They gave absolutely no proof of life for Hayley -- and they hate hybrids. There's a good chance she's already dead. Binding Hope in a life-threatening ceremony with that little to go on was incredibly stupid and dangerous.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

I'll b the lone voice of dissent and say I agreed with a lot of Klaus's choices in this episode.

FWIW, I don't disagree with Klaus's choices in this episode. I disagree with this new narrative that he's some sort of Werewolf Champion.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Tvfanatic27 said:

I just want to know why Klaus needs Hopes blood to make hybrids. Has his werewolf side been binded? 

He needs doppelganger blood.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ursula said:

He needs doppelganger blood.

Yeah, and specifically Elena Gilbert's blood. Or Human!Katherine's. Or the blood of some doppelgangery female descendant of Elena's. Stefan's a doppelganger and his blood would be useless since it was an Amara!Doppelganger that was used to bind Klaus.

Wait a second, where was the requisite doppelganger for Hope's binding? I always assumed that Esther used the girl she did for Klaus's spell because she sensed something mystical about her, being one of Amara's doppelgangers.

(I just realized that the Gilbert-Salvatore marriage is a union of bloodlines so doppelgangery I wouldn't be surprised if every single generation had another Elena and another Stefan. Except related. Ew.  Did the doppelganger thing ended with Silas and Amara's deaths? Was it stated outright? Sounds like cameo opportunities galore.)

43 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

I just realized that the Gilbert-Salvatore marriage is a union of bloodlines so doppelgangery I wouldn't be surprised if every single generation had another Elena and another Stefan. Except related. Ew.  Did the doppelganger thing ended with Silas and Amara's deaths? Was it stated outright? Sounds like cameo opportunities galore.)

mmmm... sounds like a character that can pop up in Legends.

The purity of vampires!!!! Okay you dumb crazy wretches. How are you going to talk to the first vampires about what is or isn't pure?!?!? 

Did August know Klaus (and Elijah) were Originals? He made a reference to "viking blood" so seems he did. Does everyone know the origin story of the Mikealsons, though? Sounds far-fetched. Greta of course did and she pontificated about the purity of vampires to Klaus. Which, I agree with you, what the hell?

If August knew, why in all the heavens did he provoke Klaus then? And think he could stop him with a measly crossbow. And were the townspeople running at Klaus in that scene supposed to be vampires, too? Either way, they seemed like incredible idiots trying to take on someone clearly so superior to them. 

And really since when has Klaus identified so strongly with his werewolf side. He always seemed to consider himself a vampire more than anything. At best a hybrid because that gave him something extra. But werewolves were never "his kind" before. 

I guess Klaus forgetting a few faces from his past is realistic but until now this show seemed to work like Highlander, immortals can remember everything and everyone from several hundred years ago.  

17 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Yeah, and specifically Elena Gilbert's blood. Or Human!Katherine's. Or the blood of some doppelgangery female descendant of Elena's. Stefan's a doppelganger and his blood would be useless since it was an Amara!Doppelganger that was used to bind Klaus.

Wait a second, where was the requisite doppelganger for Hope's binding? I always assumed that Esther used the girl she did for Klaus's spell because she sensed something mystical about her, being one of Amara's doppelgangers.

(I just realized that the Gilbert-Salvatore marriage is a union of bloodlines so doppelgangery I wouldn't be surprised if every single generation had another Elena and another Stefan. Except related. Ew.  Did the doppelganger thing ended with Silas and Amara's deaths? Was it stated outright? Sounds like cameo opportunities galore.)

I thought Klaus's werewolf side was no longer binded after that tripple sacrifice in TVD (those parts are a little foggy in my memory) 

4 hours ago, Tvfanatic27 said:

I thought Klaus's werewolf side was no longer binded after that tripple sacrifice in TVD (those parts are a little foggy in my memory) 

It isn't, but he still needs Elena's blood to keep his hybrids from dying. Hope doesn't. Speaking of....I wonder why they never touch on the fact that Hayley is obvi sired to Hope. Has to be. Or maybe they won't because she's her mother and was obviously going to be extremely devoted to Hope regardless

On 5/19/2018 at 8:16 PM, Gwen-Stacys said:

It isn't, but he still needs Elena's blood to keep his hybrids from dying. Hope doesn't. Speaking of....I wonder why they never touch on the fact that Hayley is obvi sired to Hope. Has to be. Or maybe they won't because she's her mother and was obviously going to be extremely devoted to Hope regardless

I thought Hayley was a hybrid who could make hybrids. She might not be sired to Hope.

I also would have preferred they made a different musical choice with the Elijah scenes. It reminded me of one of the most gut-wrenching episodes of "Flashpoint."

So I have an embarrassing question because I thought I saw Elijah burn up in the sun a couple of episodes ago and really thought he died. Can somebody please explain to me what happened? Thanks.

(edited)

"I thought Hayley was a hybrid who could make hybrids."

Nope. Only Hope and technically Klaus can make new Hybrids. But Hope can make them without the blood of a Petrova (Amara) doppleganger

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

So I have an embarrassing question because I thought I saw Elijah burn up in the sun a couple of episodes ago and really thought he died. Can somebody please explain to me what happened? Thanks.

I thought he was dead for a moment as well, but then I remembered: Originals can't be killed by anything other than white oak (and probably some other magic object that they've shown on this series but I forgot about it). They can be affected by things like sunlight, vervain, and werewolf venom, but it won't kill them.

So Elijah made a symbolic rebirth by I guess standing there in the sun until he felt charred enough to have been reborn, phoenix-style.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm confused why Klaus didn't recognize Antoinette, or at least acknowledge knowing her, in Ne Me Quitte Pas? It appeared that Klaus had been hanging out with Nazi!Vamp for a while and Antoinette was always there.  And he saw her come out of the house. I can believe, maybe, that Greta didn't spend time with them and, thus, he only saw her when he killed Nazi!Vamp.  But Antoinette apparently was with them when they spent time together.  

Also, I was wondering who Diamond-Sweat-Roman might be since he mentioned being dedicated for decades.  It was, from that story, clear he wasn't a teen in age or experience and probably didn't need to be in a high school.*  But, I have to say, even with that foreshadowing, I rolled my eye so hard when he popped out of the Nazi!Vamp's house.  After Antoinette being his daughter, Roman being his son was a bit much.  Although, at least Roman has a reason for being involved with the Mikaelsons  that isn't just coincidence. 

*I realize Hope is a teenager, but why didn't that strike her as odd?   Aren't they supposed to be in school?  I know Stefan went to high school.  But that was because he (allegedly) looked like a teen and wanted to blend with humans.  The Saltzman school is for supernatural kids, emphasis on kids... not hundreds of years old vamps who happened to have been turned under the age of 20 (which would likely include most of the oldest vamps based on life expediencies pre-modernity). 

Edited by RachelKM

"I'm confused why Klaus didn't recognize Antoinette, or at least acknowledge knowing her, in Ne Me Quitte Pas? It appeared that Klaus had been hanging out with Nazi!Vamp for a while and Antoinette was always there. And he saw her come out of the house. I can believe, maybe, that Greta didn't spend time with them and, thus, he only saw her when he killed Nazi!Vamp. But Antoinette apparently was with them when they spent time together. "

I can handwave it as he never paid much attention to her and it'd been over 90 years since he'd seen her. I myself get that "I know you from somewhere, but I'm not sure. Maybe you just look like someone I know" feeling with people I've met, like...two years ago.