Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Collision Void

• Start Topic

Guess what.

As a flooding collision void threatens to sink him, Keith fights to keep the Wizard afloat; a missing boat part leaves Jake stranded at sea; Sig gets ready to pass the torch to Edgar, but brotherly tension arises when he can't give up the reins.

I love the Discovery website.

• Love 2

Seriously Jake Anderson. You say you've been fishing for 20 years and don't need advice from anyone. Well then why the hell are you always asking for help?? Ass. 

And Jake Harris. GTFO. I loved your father, but you are a useless famewhore who wouldn't be on the boat at all, if not for the cameras. Asshat. 

Just now, QuinnInND said:

Seriously Jake Anderson. You say you've been fishing for 20 years and don't need advice from anyone. Well then why the hell are you always asking for help?? Ass. 

And Jake Harris. GTFO. I loved your father, but you are a useless famewhore who wouldn't be on the boat at all, if not for the cameras. Asshat.  

And I hope it's nothing serious with Keith. 

Watching Sig run the hydros was fun. 

• Love 5

I'm thinking Disco's love affair with the Harris legacy is fading away.  Every time Mike Rowe did a voice-over about "What will the Cornelia Marie do if one or both injured crew members can't return?" they would show Josh just sitting there in the wheelhouse doing absolutely nothing - just like he did for the whole trip.  He couldn't even drive the hurt guys to the doctor?  Does Casey wipe his butt for him, too?

He looks like he should have been on that old TV show:  "I'm a Celebrity; Get Me Out of Here!!!!"  Goodness knows he's not a crab fisherman.

• Love 9

I seriously thought for a second that they'd use the "Josh comes to the rescue!" angle.  That with the crew a couple of men down, Josh would "selflessly" go down on deck and help out and be hailed as a hero of some sort.  Nope.  Not the case at all.  I should be ashamed of myself for even thinking he'd go the extra mile and contribute in a meaningful manner.

Good to have a Murray update of sorts.  Too bad there were no cameras on his boat.  Still, it was nice hearing his voice and it was good of him to help out Jake. 

Also hope Keith is OK.   Between the stress and long hours on the job, it's amazing more of them don't have health issues.

• Love 8
(edited)

Don't be hating on Josh.  It may look like he's sitting there playing with himself but in actuality he's working on an algorithm to determine the precise angle he should cock his hat.

The "joke" Clark played on Sig wasn't funny in the least.

The simulation showing how water in the collision void could have sunk The Wizard was chilling.   I found myself wondering what might have happened if the relief captain had been sitting in the chair at the time and hadn't detected the slight sluggishness of the ship.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12
(edited)
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Don't be hating on Josh.  It may look like he's sitting there playing with himself but in actuality he's working on an algorithm to determine the precise angle he should cock his hat.

OMG, that was so funny, I loved it.   If I hadn't just finished my coffee I would have spit it all over the screen reading this!

The show has been so disappointing lately I almost didn't watch this week but it was a pretty interesting episode.  I just wish they'd go back to what it was, there's enough real story there and there are still things about the boats and how crab fishing works that we could learn (they used to do a lot more "this is how this works" pieces).  I feel like the narratives they're putting out this season - Jake is helpless, Josh is the comeback kid etc are extremely forced and fake and I wonder why Disco thinks its' necessary to add these in.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Jake is helpless, Josh is the comeback kid etc are extremely forced and fake and I wonder why Disco thinks its' necessary to add these in.

I regard Josh as the don't-come-back kid.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 12:10 AM, QuinnInND said:

Agreed.  Jake Anderson needs a therapist, but compared to Josh Harris he's doing well for himself.  Both were working on the deck on crab boats at the same time.  Jake is now actually captaining a boat, albeit badly, while Josh claims the title of "co-captain" but does nothing but park his arse in that chair and drop bon mots for the cameras.   If they keep the Cornelia Marie on the show, Josh Harris should be dropped off at the dock.   When they had two injured crewmen, Josh could have gone down and filled in for them but no.  He's not there for the actual crabbing.  

Edited by terrymct
edited because I accidentally called Josh H Jake.
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Agreed.  Jake Anderson needs a therapist, but compared to Josh Harris he's doing well for himself.  Both were working on the deck on crab boats at the same time.  Jake is now actually captaining a boat, albeit badly, while Josh claims the title of "co-captain" but does nothing but park his arse in that chair and drop bon mots for the cameras.   If they keep the Cornelia Marie on the show, Jake Harris should be dropped off at the dock.   When they had two injured crewmen, Josh could have gone down and filled in for them but no.  He's not there for the actual crabbing.  

I think you meant Josh Harris.  Jake Harris is his brother - a reported drug addict.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, millennium said:

Too funny!!!

• Love 4

Does anyone think that Jake A just looks unwell?   There is something about him that just doesn’t look healthy along with the fact he looks 20 years older than his age.  

Jake isn’t captain material.  He doesn’t has what it takes to run a fishing boat. He’d be a better relief captain.  

Why does Josh Harris look so well kept and Casey looks so unkept?   I bet Josh spends all his time in bed or hanging out in the galley except when the producer tells him it’s time to film.  I hope Disco is paying Casey very well because he deserves it for having to put up with Josh on his boat.  

Speaking of the camera crews, Deadliest Catch has to have some of the best.  They do a phenomenal job filming each season.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, LGGirl said:

Why does Josh Harris look so well kept and Casey looks so unkept?   I bet Josh spends all his time in bed or hanging out in the galley except when the producer tells him it’s time to film.  I hope Disco is paying Casey very well because he deserves it for having to put up with Josh on his boat.  

Josh spends all his name in the captain's head, precisely trimming the hair on his face.  He's not hanging out in bed or in the galley unless there are mirrors or cameras present.

• Love 7
(edited)

Am I the only one who boo'ed when the camera suddenly cut away when it came time for Keith to somehow squeeze his wide, um, stern, through that hatch into the collision void?   One minute he's about to go down; the next instant, he's in there.   I think we need to see that lost footage.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5
On 5/9/2018 at 9:08 AM, AZChristian said:

I think you meant Josh Harris.  Jake Harris is his brother - a reported drug addict.

Yes, I went back and changed that.  I've accidentally called him Jake since he's first been on the show.  Just a crossed wire in my brain.  

• Love 2

So, we've been looking for signs that Discovery and the producers are starting to have their fill of Josh Harris.  He's certainly not getting quite the golden boy edit he used to, but what's it going to take to have him disappear from the show like his brother and Elliot?  They melted down to the point where it was beyond pitiful to being dangerous on a boat.  Josh is part owner of the Cornelia Marie (although I wonder about that) so he's protected from getting tossed by management.   It's going to need to be the show cutting the Cornelia Marie.

Speaking of disappearances, I wonder what happened to Freddy?  He went quick, but he was on boats that were less tolerant of melt downs. 

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

So, we've been looking for signs that Discovery and the producers are starting to have their fill of Josh Harris.  He's certainly not getting quite the golden boy edit he used to, but what's it going to take to have him disappear from the show like his brother and Elliot?  They melted down to the point where it was beyond pitiful to being dangerous on a boat.  Josh is part owner of the Cornelia Marie (although I wonder about that) so he's protected from getting tossed by management.   It's going to need to be the show cutting the Cornelia Marie.

Speaking of disappearances, I wonder what happened to Freddy?  He went quick, but he was on boats that were less tolerant of melt downs. 

Here's a good article about the Cornelia Marie.

Apparently, Josh and Casey were already part-owners and Casey went in search of deeper pockets.  Another couple of guys kicked in at least 50%, and then tons of money to upgrade / replace very expensive necessary equipment.  Seems to me Josh could be outvoted by the majority members if push came to shove.  He and Casey seem to get along well, but I wonder how much negative publicity the owners have to read about Josh - especially since it's based on what people see on DC (when Josh should be trying to show how proficient and hard-working he is) - before they begin to wonder whether it would be better to buy him out than put up with him.  Based on the work ethic he displays, I wouldn't hire him to scrub toilets at night in an office building.

• Love 4