Type keyword(s) to search

Renee: The future is cloudy....

18 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

The approach to Sandra was totally different--she had motivations that weren't all about Stan and relating to Stan. EST wasn't just a hobby like you'd list as a character trait, it was the whole thing that the character was doing, trying to define herself since she didn't feel like Stan's wife etc.

Some very good points...  I agree that, for Sandra, EST was her arc that showed her motivations outside of Stan.   The way I see it, her arc disconnected her from Stan.  It fleshed out the conflict between her and Stan.  Renee's arc is to connect to Stan.  Her way of doing so is by being some part of husbands' career, which is a big part of his life.  Both have a character arc that helps to define each, to show Stan's journey, and to provide some parallel with the Jennings marriage.

26 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

The thing is though, WHEN have we ever seen Philip be paranoid or suspect another American of being a spy?

Never.  It was one time, and it was Renee.

I see this as resolved last season.  in context of that season, Philip was shown to be straining under the weight of the spywork. This one time was to further illustrate that stress.

We also saw Philip tail her to her supposedly flooded apartment. I think if she was a spy, the tailing would have discovered that. Philip would have known the methods (secret garage, etc.).  They didn't find any that we know of.  There was no further talk of her being a spy by Philip, Elizabeth (or Claudia).  And it was just one time.  It only reason it was Renee was because it intersected with Stan.

We'll see how the next two episodes play out.  (I could be very wrong! lol)

• Love 1

I can certainly understand Phillip (in particular given he knew more about why Stan's marriage to Sandra broke up) thinking Renee was "too good to be true" ... in  many ways, but particularly to "settle" on being in an exclusive relationship with Stan (of all people she might choose) .... Phillip is normally guarded (part of why line dancing is so enchanting and why EST was so interesting). 

I genuinely expected there to be more "empty nest" and second-half-of-your-life talk for both P&E and between both couples.  After you've put in 20-25 years, you mind turns to the future, the folks you've known who suddenly died without ever retiring etc.   Money problems now while putting two kids through school is a game changer (even if you're not a semi-retired KGB agent whose wife apparently loathes and resents you more every day) ... yeah, they come together for the kids and "the job" but the immediate future must have looked very very bleak to Phillip for a while now. 

3 hours ago, DrumJunkie said:

Renee's arc is to connect to Stan. 

But is it really an arc? I mean, she started out being somebody Stan thought was just perfect for him with a lot in common. Now she's wanting to be even more perfect with more in common with Stan. But we don't really know why.

4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Iirc, he was reacting to the whole way the relationship happened. She happened to be walking by him at the gym a lot. Turned out they had so much in common. Like everything Stan liked, Renee liked. Very quickly they were close and then she moved in, etc. Stan even said, "She's like you...only a woman!" or something like that. So it wasn't really her personality, which was just bubbly, it was that the way they met mirrored what Philip was pretty much doing with Deirdre and had done with plenty others.

Of course, it could be a comment on how all meetings are accidental--that's why people believe the spy set ups. Some people still think Kelly on the bus was a plant simply because it led Paige eventually to something important. But she wasn't. 

But for viewers the fact that Renee has continued in the same vein, still seeming to just exist to be interested in Stan, makes her seem just as fishy. As opposed to Sandra who from the start was obviously her own character defined by her side of the situation--mother trying to get used to having her husband home again, worried about her son's relationship with his father after the separation, wondering who she was now with Stan so changed, trying to be friends with Elizabeth briefly. That's another reason why her encounter with Philip at EST rings so true, that it was just such a surprise. These two hadn't had much independent interaction and then it turned out they really clicked as two individuals.

Of course, if she had been Directorate-S or KGB and knew Philip and Elizabeth were fakers it would odd for her to be the one asking them personal questions just because...why go there?

This is exactly my problem with Renee. We've seen Philip and Elizabeth do and say whatever they need to be in order to get their marks to do what they want. They're always interested in the other person's issues, ideas, feelings, activities. etc. They never disagree or show disinterest unless they're using it as a tactic to further their agenda. They are easy to talk to. 

Renee was doing all these things and it made Philip suspicious. Because of the three year time jump, we don't know if/when he stopped being suspicious. Has she been this way for the whole three years? Wouldn't that get annoying? Maybe this is just how Renee is and everyone accepts it as normal. But instead of showing some independent thought or interests, she's right back to being oddly over-interested in Stan's job

I kind of hope we do not see Renee turn out to be a spy because it would feel like such a cheat by the writers. I think I'd prefer her being a one-dimensional poorly fleshed out character.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yes, not only was Renee beautiful and the right age for Stan, she also happened to go to his gym! More luck!  She was at that gym right when he was!  She loved football!  She plays racketball!  She likes and knows how to make all his favorite foods!  She wasn't married or in a relationship! 

Gee, I wonder how that could have happened?  Could it be...hmm...from Philip's detailed reports to Center? 

Honestly, was there even ONE thing wrong with her?  How very interesting that the FBI guy she "fell in love with" was living right across the street from the KGB embedded spies!

No, I don't believe in that many coincidences.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 6

If she isn't working Stan, it's crappy writing, because heavily serialized t.v. drama should never have a throwaway recurring character, no matter how few the lines. If a character appears in multiple episodes, especially over several seasons, the character needs to be made worth watching and listening to. The only memorable scenes Renee has had are only memorable because how remarkably flat and lifeless they are, and that isn't criticism of Holden. Her lines have been dreadful.

If she is working Stan, and the scenes were written that way deliberately, to emphasize how an undercover spy works to be utterly unremarkable, then it is REALLY crappy writing, because the AUDIENCE has to be in on the game, to show the contrast between real Renee, and fake Renee. Ugh, what a stupid writing choice this will be, if it turns out Renee is also a spy. It wasn't as if other arcs could not have been trimmed, or even cut completely,  to use the character of Renee competently

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Yes, not only was Renee beautiful and the right age for Stan, she also happened to go to his gym! More luck!  She was at that gym right when he was!  She loved football!  She plays racketball!  She likes and knows how to make all his favorite foods!  She wasn't married or in a relationship! 

Gee, I wonder how that could have happened?  Could it be...hmm...from Philip's detailed reports to Center? 

Honestly, was there even ONE thing wrong with her?  How very interesting that the FBI guy she "fell in love with" was living right across the street from the KGB embedded spies!

No, I don't believe in that many coincidences.

EXACTLY.  But, the one thing wrong with her is that she gossips about snippets of information that Stan (Improperly) gives her.  Does Stan know about this? 

35 minutes ago, Bannon said:

If she isn't working Stan, it's crappy writing, because heavily serialized t.v. drama should never have a throwaway recurring character, no matter how few the lines. If a character appears in multiple episodes, especially over several seasons, the character needs to be made worth watching and listening to. The only memorable scenes Renee has had are only memorable because how remarkably flat and lifeless they are, and that isn't criticism of Holden. Her lines have been dreadful.

If she is working Stan, and the scenes were written that way deliberately, to emphasize how an undercover spy works to be utterly unremarkable, then it is REALLY crappy writing, because the AUDIENCE has to be in on the game, to show the contrast between real Renee, and fake Renee. Ugh, what a stupid writing choice this will be, if it turns out Renee is also a spy. It wasn't as if other arcs could not have been trimmed, or even cut completely,  to use the character of Renee competently

Anyway you cut it, the writing for Renee has been crappy. We can try to justify the likelihood of her being a spy with "Philip suspected her" or "this is how the KGB worked." None of it matters. On a show with deeply nuanced characters, the execution of Renee's story line is a big failure. These writers have not played this game with any other character. She has not added anything meaningful to the story, only unnecessary teases. Frankly, its irritating.

13 hours ago, hellmouse said:

I kind of hope we do not see Renee turn out to be a spy because it would feel like such a cheat by the writers. I think I'd prefer her being a one-dimensional poorly fleshed out character.

Agree completely!

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Anyway you cut it, the writing for Renee has been crappy. We can try to justify the likelihood of her being a spy with "Philip suspected her" or "this is how the KGB worked." None of it matters. On a show with deeply nuanced characters, the execution of Renee's story line is a big failure. These writers have not played this game with any other character. She has not added anything meaningful to the story, only unnecessary teases. Frankly, its irritating.

This thread is making me think of the time Henry asked Stan how he met Sandra and he said she ran into him at a party and spilled beer on him and burst out laughing. Then he looked kind of confused and just kind of said...then we got married and divorced or whatever. Like even there Sandra was an individual and there was no obvious thing connecting them, but you still got it.

The other thing with Renee is if she's a spy it's probably not good that she comes across as one to viewers. When Elizabeth and Philip played fake characters they had their own lives going on outside their sources. Clark was weird at times but he was weird in a way that fit him. It was believable when Jennifer referred to him "pulling a Clark." I think if Clark had been a minor character in a show about people at the FBI or whatever people wouldn't be saying, "Who IS this guy?" every time he was onscreen.

But otoh there's the fact that Stan is also a bit odd with Renee. When he was with Sandra he was having trouble connecting with anybody but they still sometimes had conversations that made it clear they had this long relationship and she understood him. With Renee it's like he talks in cliches a lot, joking with Aderholt about how if he's home late Aderholt will have to explain it to Renee, telling her to just be herself in an interview and the FBI will love her like he does...well, maybe not like he does.

Maybe this is Stan still so in love that he just says stuff like that but it still sounds like a script.

• Love 1

Stan has always appeared to be socially awkward, imo, but, I never thought that he was not who he claimed he was.  I still can't imagine him being capable  of playing an undercover role. It boggles the mind.  Wasn't it in the south with a bunch of rough and rugged motorcycle criminals? Stan wouldn't have lasted a minute doing that.  They would have asked Stan if he wanted his starch light or heavy.  lol After they handed him a nice cold bottled brew that he sips with class and decorum.  I can't see Stan fitting in there. HOWEVER, Renee is different.  She was odd in her words and actions from the get go.  No doubt, all that was by design to either be clues that she's up to something or it's a red herring.  So silly, imo. 

• Love 1

Stan was with a white supremacist criminal group, I don't think it was in the south.

I agree that Renee being there has been quite irritating.  In a way though, Stan having Renee separated him enough from Philip to allow this perspective to finally take another look and notice things.  Without being happy, and having dinner at home, and playing racketball with the always cheerful and loving wife, Stan could have still been his miserable lonely self.

That said, if the writers had Philip think Renee is a spy, with no other signs of Philip ever being the paranoid type, and dick us around this long about Renee with all of those remarkable coincidences?  I'll be surprised.

If it's a "she ripped off her wig!" moment?  Or a game changer for the Jennings?  I'll probably be pissed.  If it's just a little bit of a Renee in a montage about the others, say, putting a mark on a mail box?  I'm OK with it.  It will just say "KGB spying continues." 

Which?  It does.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, hellmouse said:

It was in Arkansas - that's the South. 

Only for the last two decades or so, when the Razorbacks entered the SEC. Before that they were more southwestern than southern. 

What, no one else determines geographic relevance by college conferences? Weirdos. 

But here's a possibility. Renee -- who looks VERY Aryan -- is actually a plant from that group Stan infiltrated. She's going to take him out -- get her revenge -- when Phillip saves Stan. That gives he and E just barely enough FBI goodwill that even after they are exposed, they're allowed to disappear or head off to Cuba instead of the executions they realistically deserve. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, whiporee said:

But here's a possibility. Renee -- who looks VERY Aryan -- is actually a plant from that group Stan infiltrated. She's going to take him out -- get her revenge -- when Phillip saves Stan. That gives he and E just barely enough FBI goodwill that even after they are exposed, they're allowed to disappear or head off to Cuba instead of the executions they realistically deserve. 

Not quite.  She's actually a plant from the Zombieverse.  The commies, in their unholy experiments, discovered the zombie virus, and also how to delay the onset of reanimation.  They infected Renee, but she can control when/if she goes full-bore zombie.  If the capitalist dogs somehow triumph over the proletariat (as evidenced by the fall of the USSR), she has strict orders to unleash zombie hell on earth. 

Now you know a) what caused the zombie apocalypse of TWD, and b) the top secret ending to The Americans all the producers and and cast have been sworn to secrecy over. 

• Love 3

She's CIA. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before; Stan really crossed the CIA with Oleg, and I can imagine them thinking he's corrupted or his loyalty is suspect.

Or, if they want to be legal, NSA because the CIA is prohibited from operating on American soil. And maybe it would show that the US wasn't above doing a lot of the things the Jennings have done. 

21 minutes ago, whiporee said:

She's CIA. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before; Stan really crossed the CIA with Oleg, and I can imagine them thinking he's corrupted or his loyalty is suspect.

Or, if they want to be legal, NSA because the CIA is prohibited from operating on American soil. And maybe it would show that the US wasn't above doing a lot of the things the Jennings have done. 

But, if she's CIA why would she share Stan's secrets (confidential information) with others like Aderholt's wife and Elizabeth?  She did it in such a gossipy way.  How could she justify doing that if they used it and it hurt someone? 

25 minutes ago, whiporee said:

The United States government didn't have undrcover agents marrying other agents of the US government, as a means of investigating them. The NSA does not have undercover agents.

• Love 3

Maybe she thought the secrets were low level and wanted to see how much he'd spilled to them. 

I think there's a cantankerous relationship between the intergovermental agencies. So maybe she's doing all she can to integrate into his world without doing too much damage. And she figures they are harmless enough. 

1 minute ago, Bannon said:

The United States government didn't have undrcover agents marrying other agents of the US government, as a means of investigating them. The NSA does not have undercover agents.

Maybe. 

Unless you've got a high-level, multiple-agency security clearance, it's hard to call it an absolute fact. And if you do have that kind of clearance, you might want to reconsider posting on a message board. 

I kid because I love :)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, whiporee said:

Maybe. 

Unless you've got a high-level, multiple-agency security clearance, it's hard to call it an absolute fact. And if you do have that kind of clearance, you might want to reconsider posting on a message board. 

I kid because I love :)

Nothing ever stays permenently secret in this country. If operations like that were being run, it would have leaked into the public domain.

(edited)

The US did want to embed USA CIA in Russia.  It was beyond impractical (language and soviet security) so they abandoned it, since turning soviet citizens and running defectors was much more practical and productive.

They didn't fail to run agents because they were morally superior to the KGB/USSR.  They didn't do it because they couldn't.

Renee is KGB IMO.

Long shot, CIA investigating an FBI agent (which did happen) but the minute she married him I knew that was no longer an option.

Edited by Umbelina
15 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Renee is KGB IMO.

Here are reasons why dislike the idea of this big reveal in the closing moments:

- It has been done before. See below...

Spoiler

It reminds me of the movie "No Way Out"

- It would qualify Stan as the Dumbest Cluck on the Planet. Not only does he become BFFs with two KGB agents, he marries one. It is the equivalent of character suicide. If they wanted another "spy in hiding" it could have been Aderholt's wife or Aderholt's baby or something. Just not someone else so close to Stan.

- While I understand the desire to show that the spy games and distrust go on, they could have given that role to another character...like Tatiana. Show her still working years later. That would have been a better end for her than the one she got. (Half the audience didn't recognize her.)

• Love 1

I understand, but I just don't see that happening.

She has been a perfect honeytrap all along, and Philip suspected her as well, also, they kept mentioning her this episode.  I think the chalk mark on a mailbox is the least intrusive way for them to wrap up Renee's storyline, maybe include Stan giving her a second glance of suspicion over dinner or something.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I understand, but I just don't see that happening.

She has been a perfect honeytrap all along, and Philip suspected her as well, also, they kept mentioning her this episode.  I think the chalk mark on a mailbox is the least intrusive way for them to wrap up Renee's storyline, maybe include Stan giving her a second glance of suspicion over dinner or something.

Well, its either the reveal that you suggest or nothing at all. While I hate the idea, I'm beginning to think that it will happen.

• Love 1

It doesn't have to be chalk, but that is the fastest, and also calls back to Philip seeing the chalk mark on the mailbox from Oleg.  Also?  There was the chalk mark again in last night's episode.

So, yeah, I do think my prediction (for ONCE!) will be happening.

2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

It doesn't have to be chalk, but that is the fastest, and also calls back to Philip seeing the chalk mark on the mailbox from Oleg.  Also?  There was the chalk mark again in last night's episode.

So, yeah, I do think my prediction (for ONCE!) will be happening.

Yes - there was a chalk mark last night. And I thought of you!

• Love 2

This is the frame in the S6 trailer I mean when I (elsewhere) point out a view of authorities stopping a vehicle like Renee’s. A similar vehicle was used in the Chicago operation but I don’t recall it being singled out, followed, and cut off, like this. I think only Harvest’s personal car got that kind of attention. I don’t think we’ve seen this sequence yet.

A7D9A353-732D-4A74-9AD3-DEB84E0EFB90.jpeg

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

This is the frame in the S6 trailer I mean when I (elsewhere) point out a view of authorities stopping a vehicle like Renee’s. A similar vehicle was used in the Chicago operation but I don’t recall it being singled out, followed, and cut off, like this. I think only Harvest’s personal car got that kind of attention. I don’t think we’ve seen this sequence yet.

I wish we had more of a close up of the car. I can't tell if there is a driver. I remember seeing this in a preview and I assumed it was the FBI going into a suspicious garage and that car just happened to be parked there. But I agree that the angle of the police car does make it seem like it's blocking that car. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, hellmouse said:

I wish we had more of a close up of the car. I can't tell if there is a driver. I remember seeing this in a preview and I assumed it was the FBI going into a suspicious garage and that car just happened to be parked there. But I agree that the angle of the police car does make it seem like it's blocking that car. 

In the actual video you can tell the car was driving and the other one heads it off. I know what you mean about the driver though - they may have darkened it on purpose so the driver’s head blends in with the seat back.

It'll be cool if, as the credits roll, Renee makes a chalk mark and Claudia picks up the dead drop. 

It would be even cooler if it turned out "Renee" was just an elaborately costumed Claudia.   

• Love 3
15 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Spoiler

Here's a link for that trailer that has that scene.  I've looked at the video multiple times.  It's VERY curious. 

(edited)
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:
  Hide contents

Right? Why would they include that clip if all they're establishing is 'hey! car-chasey things happen!'

ETA: The above is my comment - I didn't realize I would be invading your spoiler-tag space : )

Here's a link for that trailer that has that scene.  I've looked at the video multiple times.  It's VERY curious. 

Edited by BingeyKohan

Was Renee a Russian Spy on The Americans?

But according to actress Laurie Holden, who played Renee, there is an answer. “Renee serves a very specific function in the narrative. Her purpose has been to serve intrigue. I know, but I will never tell,” she told Vulture. “When the audience goes back and re-watches these episodes, they will be able to find clues which will better inform them as to who she better was.”

That sounds like a "yes" to me.

Meanwhile, co-executive producer Joel Fields suggests a more pragmatic reason for Renee’s ambiguous ending. “That unanswered question we felt was one that Phillip didn’t have the answer to, Elizabeth didn’t have the answer to, and Stan wouldn’t have the answer to,” he said. “The only way to answer that would have been to try to create some additional plots from outside the story.”

Or, you know, spend less time on WHEAT!

That’s why it makes sense that Renee is lurking out there in the D.C. suburbs like an un-detonated mine, forever threatening to explode beneath the finale’s massive emotional closure. We don’t find out if Renee is a spy because an ending that tied everything up in a neat bow wouldn’t be true to the story The Americans has told for all these years. When every question is answered, the narrative doors close and the story fades from your mind. Renee is there to make sure that, even at the end, The Americans is still holding one door open.

• Love 4

I went into the finale thinking they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't around Renee but damned if I didn't think it totally worked, how they treated it. That last, ambiguous shot of her watching the unpacking of the Jennings house - was that pity, contempt, triumph, relief? My personal interpretation is she's the most hardline one of them all and she thought even Elizabeth was soft, so that look was full of 'you effing idiots, I'll stay here and soldier on alone,' mixed with 'yep, that's what American lives come to, boxes of crap being carried out of your cozy little house.' Don't even ask what I think might have been up with her car in the trailer, I can't make that one work out.

• Love 5

I'm with you on the Renee thing.  I think she is a very hardcore spy. I'm not sure where she's from, but, likely KGB though, it was never developed by the writers.  I think that one of the showrunners admitted as much when he said in an interview that there was no need to close up some things.  Apparently, it didn't matter to them.

NOW, I think that it would have put Stan over the edge to have revealed her as a spy in the finale too.  IT would have likely sent him into insanity and he would have been rendered useless to help Henry, so, leaving her unrevealed was really a mercy act, imo.  

• Love 1

I think the answer is yes, too. Philip suspected her because it takes one to know one. Philip is very good at reading people, and his opinion of her clearly never changed.  I wondered if Laurie Holden knew the answer, but of course she did. She had to know how to play her.

I do think Stan will driven to find out the truth. It’s who he is. Real question would be- what he’d do with it.

I like that they left it ambiguous. It worked for me. And I really like that the last thing Philip did was try to warn Stan, as a friend, of that possibility.

What I didn’t like? How underwritten she was. No matter what, she could have seemed more like a person. 

• Love 1

I do think Stan will driven to find out the truth. It’s who he is. Real question would be- what he’d do with it.

I don't know if Stan will find out the truth, but I fully expect he will destroy his relationship with Renee regardless of whether she is a spy or not.  What trust he had for her is gone.  He'll be constantly haunted by the fact that he doubted his gut with regards to Elizabeth and Philip, and he'll be obsessed with not repeating the same mistake with Renee. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know if Stan will find out the truth, but I fully expect he will destroy his relationship with Renee regardless of whether she is a spy or not.  What trust he had for her is gone.  He'll be constantly haunted by the fact that he doubted his gut with regards to Elizabeth and Philip, and he'll be obsessed with not repeating the same mistake with Renee. 

Very well put!  I agree with this 100%

• Love 2

Could Stan ever vet her enough though? Even if he met her mother, father, siblings, high school cheer team, college roommates, first lover, dentist she's had for 20 years, and even have her followed by security detail for a year, could he be sure that she hadn't been turned somewhere along the line.....MY theory is that he would plant something for her to find as she works in the FBI office.  It would be fake, but, she wouldn't know. If she takes the bait, they find out and she is discovered.  Because, this would be a secret that only she has access to.  

Who knows? Ol' Stanley could wake up one morning, to see his bride goosestepping around the bedroom, in leather boots, wearing a ushanka fur hat, to the sounds of "The Internationale" , and his reaction may be, "Honey, where did you learn your new workout routine?".

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate to bring this to a third thread, I already brought it up in Stan's, and in the episode thread.

Anyway, I finally realized that I don't think Stan, no matter what, is going to let the FBI be possibly infiltrated by another KGB spy.  He will tell them.  No matter what else?  He will warn the FBI about Philip's suspicions about Renee. 

It's just a step too far for Stan.

Edited by Umbelina

Well, I'm not sure he would tell them what Philp said, because, that was just a hunch.  They might think that if Philip didn't know, then she isn't.

They could do a serious background check on her, just on Stan's word that he wants to make sure he's not being played again.   But, I could see him blocking her from FBI employment. 

He could still set a trap for her, though, by baiting her with some fake secrets that only she could find and leaving it with his paperwork, if she's spying around the house. If it gets to the Soviets, he knows where it came from. 

If he spills the beans on himself, it could end the road for him caring for Henry.  Henry is still technically a minor and if Stan is found to have behaved improperly,  it could effect his suitability as a guardian. I know...I'm overthinking again.  lol  

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I'm not sure he would tell them what Philp said, because, that was just a hunch.  They might think that if Philip didn't know, then she isn't.

If he tells them Philip actually told them he'd reveal he let them go and be in big trouble.  He never spoke to Philip afafbik. He could just claim paranoia and they'd understand.  It might make him look better if he's willing to check her out.

• Love 1