Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Day 457

• Start Topic

Reddick, Boseman and Lockhart represent an African-American undercover cop, Rashid Clarkson, who was left crippled after being shot by another Chicago police officer in the line of duty. The case’s opposing counsel is legend Solomon Waltzer, whose tactics have the firm questioning the legitimacy of his evidence. Diane finds herself at a crossroads with both Kurt and Tully.

Hmm I like Jay and it was surprising that he got the boot, but I think the point about that story was to give another perspective on the lawer-killing thing. I can see how a case like Jay's could make people turn on lawers.

I liked about Marissa's discovery that they explained the mechanism and highlighted the problem very well.

Oh Diane, what a mess.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

Hmm I like Jay and it was surprising that he got the boot, but I think the point about that story was to give another perspective on the lawer-killing thing. I can see how a case like Jay's could make people turn on lawers.

I could be wrong, but I think I saw Jay briefly in the Next On? He's a regular this season, so it makes sense for him to stick around even if he's not working for the firm anymore.

I hope the storyline with his friend continues at least.

• Love 1

Tim Matheson doesn't look bad for a 70-year old.

All that stuff about the two cases went way over my head. Why did Lucca and Maia get involved if they knew it could cause a problem for the guy in prison? It seemed to me like the firm took advantage of him to help their main case and then dropped him like a hot rock.

• Love 1

There  was no conflict of interest until while he was investigating the prison case, Kurt found out that the gun that the guy in prison was supposed to have had was stolen by Rashid and planted by Whitehead. The firm used that information to get the settlement for Rashid but in getting it, they signed a gag order. Therefore they could not use that information to get the guy in prison's sentence reduced and even working for him was a conflict of interest.

I think that since Rashid got $8 million, he should use some of that money to help the guy in prison since a) he wouldn't have won the case without the information from his case  and b) Rashid planted the gun on the guy and made his sentence 5x longer than it should have been.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Complicated and clever, this one. Alan Alda somehow manages to make for a particularly nasty opponent without leaning too hard on the "kindly-grandfather-with-an-edge" trope. The role is fairly typical for this show, but Alda really elevated the material.

The episode seemed to be designed to showcase Jay, but the person I felt benefited the most was Julius, which was a pleasant surprise. The show has always treated him as a punchline dating back to his original run on TGW and it was nice to just see him work. Not that I think it gave him much depth, but I simply appreciated that the writers treated such a tenured character with respect for once.

Very meaty episode for Christine Baranski also. I'm usually not terribly interested in all the love drama, but one of the truly great pleasures of this show is to just watch CB act. And Diane hurt, angry, betrayed is when I get the most of that. Thank god I'm not a shipper or I doubt I'd be able to enjoy it as much as I did. Just the scene of her "not giving the jury a reaction" was an absolute treat.

• Love 9

I presume this episode was written as an exit for Jay, though it seemed rather rushed - he knows how the law works, so it seemed unbelievable that he couldn't see that:

a) so long as the cases were related, they was (at least potentially) a conflict of interest

b) the firm was always going to side with their client.

Why didn't he bring it up to Adrian earlier? Hell, if the reason for the episode was to allow Nyambi Nyambi to pursue other roles, he could have offered Jay a leave of absence to pursue the case outside the firm (or some other explanation for not having him around for a few weeks). Though Adrian was kind of a jerk to be quite so dismissive at the way things worked out, he's normally more understanding.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, CrashTextDummie said:

Alan Alda somehow manages to make for a particularly nasty opponent without leaning too hard on the "kindly-grandfather-with-an-edge" trope.

He reminded me of Nancy Crozier from The Good Wife, who had a similar amiable façade concealing a ruthless legal mind.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:48 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why did Lucca and Maia get involved if they knew it could cause a problem for the guy in prison?

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:41 AM, ApathyMonger said:

They didn't know the firm's client was involved when they took the case on.

...except they knew the cases were related. They know how the law works, they should have given Adrian a heads up as soon as one case impinged on the other

• Love 2
On 5/4/2018 at 5:55 AM, John Potts said:

He reminded me of Nancy Crozier from The Good Wife, who had a similar amiable façade concealing a ruthless legal mind.

Nancy has also appeared on this show this season. I think it was in the case with Liz and the school?

It seemed odd to me that Lucca and Maya had the capacity to pick up a random case out of the goodness of their hearts without having to justify it to any partners.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2018 at 10:49 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

It seemed odd to me that Lucca and Maya had the capacity to pick up a random case out of the goodness of their hearts without having to justify it to any partners.

It always amazes me how much time these lawyers have to lie around and watch tv and take random walk-ins who want pro bono work and so on.  From what I hear, these high-priced lawyers have to bill for practically every minute of their day.  But it's tv.   If it was my field I probably wouldn't be able to get past the misrepresentation and just enjoy the show.