Type keyword(s) to search

At the Kids' Table: The Connerz Gen Z (Andy, Jerry, Harris, Mark & Mary)

Pallas

If and when they cast Jerry (who definitely does exist), I keep picturing Aaron Hill even though he's like a decade too old. I can't think of anyone else who fits my image of Jerry, though. (Big, tall, and blond.)

I hope Andy hasn't been retconned. I do think that if he still exists, he had some kind of falling out with Jackie when he was about 16, which would go with Jackie talking about how she hasn't been loved by anybody in a decade.

Harris needs a serious reality check. I hope that her sticky fingers are going to catch up to her, because it definitely seems like she was doing more than just stealing some lip gloss every once in while.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I hope Andy hasn't been retconned. I do think that if he still exists, he had some kind of falling out with Jackie when he was about 16, which would go with Jackie talking about how she hasn't been loved by anybody in a decade.

My guess is that Fred (dull, boring Fred) remarried and Andy went to live with his dad and stepmom. Maybe Fred and his new wife had a couple of kids and Andy enjoyed being over there. Of course Jackie the Chronically Unhappy would see that as a slap in the face - remember back when she was upset because Fred went skiing when Andy was a baby? Apparently Fred was supposed to stay boring. 

Yes, I watch this show way too much. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

remember back when she was upset because Fred went skiing when Andy was a baby? Apparently Fred was supposed to stay boring.

"Why the sudden interest in skiing, Mister Famous-Guy-Who's-A-Skier-Guy?  Jean-Claude Killy! That's it, Jean-Claude Killy!"

• Love 1

Harris was terribly miscast.. Harris is a surname, too. Why not take the chance of the reboot of the reboot to re-name the character and give her an actual female given name like Elizabeth, Mary or Jane?

(edited)

Harris being a surname, specifically Roseanne and Jackie's surname, was the entire point - she was named in honor of her maternal ancestry, a connection to the women, all possibly quite different from her, but strong in their own ways, from whom she descended.  Harris Conner-Healy -- her name is one big tribute, fitting for the first child of that generation in the family.

Plus, Harris is a fine name.  She's female, and that's her given name.  It doesn't need to be something traditional.  Traditional is not really Darlene and David's thing.  And it's nice symmetry that their son's name is also in honor of a family member, this time on David's side.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 20
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Harris being a surname, specifically Roseanne and Jackie's surname, was the entire point - she was named in honor of her ancestry.  Harris Conner-Healy -- her name is one big tribute, fitting for the first child of that generation in the family.

Plus, Harris is a fine name.  She's female, and that's her given name.  It doesn't need to be something traditional.  Traditional is not really Darlene and David's thing.  And it's nice symmetry that their son's name is also in honor of a family member, this time on David's side.

It's very common in wealthy families to give surnames to offspring as first names. Or middle names. I have a friend whose family is in the social register and her middle name is her mother's surname. Not that the Conner's are wealthy but it's still perfectly normal.

• Love 7

I don't really think Harris was miscast. I think she was poorly written. They gave her no likable qualities or nuance. Darlene was a sarcastic smartass who wanted out of Landford, but she worked as a character because she had her vulnerabilities and for all of her "I'm getting out of this hell hole town!" declarations, she loved her family. If they had portrayed Harris as loving her grandparents while still being uncomfortable with small town life she would have been much more palatable. And I think Emma Kenney is capable of that nuance. All the writers gave her to work with was bitchy smartass.

• Love 6

I was under the impression that the "surnames on girls" and "boys names on girls" trends weren't popular among many online. I personally don't like it because it should be OK for girls to just be girls.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

I was under the impression that the "surnames on girls" and "boys names on girls" trends weren't popular among many online. I personally don't like it because it should be OK for girls to just be girls.

Agreed.  I really dislike this trend of giving girls names more typically given to boy.  I've had people defend it to me as being all about equality and making things gender neutral but until we start calling boys Barbara or Mary Jane I'm not buying it!  Anyway on topic the reason I didn't like the name Harris is because I disliked the drama around her birth and I really disliked the way suddenly it's all the women in the family being so important and yada yada.  If Darlene had ever been proud of being part Harris before I don't remember it even being mentioned!

On 6/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, JacquelineAppleton said:

The thing is, if it's looked at as following a trend set by celebrities (just as an example), that doesn't work, either--Harris was born in 1997, WAY before a lot of kids started getting names like that. If anything, they were ahead of the curve.

And not for nothing, but Ashley and Shannon used to be boys names, too, but have been recognized as girls names (among others) since at least the 70's. Just saying. ;)

On 6/17/2018 at 10:05 PM, BlossomCulp said:

Agreed.  I really dislike this trend of giving girls names more typically given to boy.  I've had people defend it to me as being all about equality and making things gender neutral but until we start calling boys Barbara or Mary Jane I'm not buying it!  Anyway on topic the reason I didn't like the name Harris is because I disliked the drama around her birth and I really disliked the way suddenly it's all the women in the family being so important and yada yada.  If Darlene had ever been proud of being part Harris before I don't remember it even being mentioned!

For what it's worth, Murphy Brown named her son Avery, after her mother. :)

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, UYI said:

The thing is, if it's looked at as following a trend set by celebrities (just as an example), that doesn't work, either--Harris was born in 1997, WAY before a lot of kids started getting names like that. If anything, they were ahead of the curve.

It's more of a WASP thing than a celebrity thing. I know people my age (born in the early 80s) who have their mothers' maiden names as first names.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/17/2018 at 8:01 PM, Picture It. Sicily said:

I don't really think Harris was miscast. I think she was poorly written. They gave her no likable qualities or nuance. Darlene was a sarcastic smartass who wanted out of Landford, but she worked as a character because she had her vulnerabilities and for all of her "I'm getting out of this hell hole town!" declarations, she loved her family. If they had portrayed Harris as loving her grandparents while still being uncomfortable with small town life she would have been much more palatable. And I think Emma Kenney is capable of that nuance. All the writers gave her to work with was bitchy smartass.

I feel like Emma would have been fine if they had not retconned Harris's age- Emma looks college-aged, not 15. Even though we know she's 15 intellectually, the fact that she looks 19/20 made it harder to take her bratty act. They could have have had Harris attending a community college and pissed off that she didn't have the college fund to go to a 4-year residential school, like what happened with Becky who expected to go to Illinois University or with Dana on Step by Step.

And the way she acted didn't make sense for her established character backstory. David basically abandoned the family enough time ago that he barely knows Mark. Realistically, Harris should have been like a second mother to Mark, and Darlene would have had to depend on Harris to help her. Not in terms of having a job, but in terms of keeping the house clean, watching over Mark, etc etc. Basically like exactly what happened to Becky during season 4 of the OR when both parents were struggling their way through Lanford's financial collapse. Her rebellion could have been seeded in that like Becky's was.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, UYI said:

And not for nothing, but Ashley and Shannon used to be boys names, too, but have been recognized as girls names (among others) since at least the 70's. Just saying. ;)

For what it's worth, Murphy Brown named her son Avery, after her mother. :)

Yeah but Murphy Brown didn't name him Mary, Anne, Jane or Ellen so the point stands.