Type keyword(s) to search

Deadly Class - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, Matt K said:

I was somewhat implied that the Poison Professor might be gay given his talk about his friends dying of AIDS.  

He told Marcus, "Seen half my friends and a few partners waste away from a plague Ronnie refused to even acknowledge", so he outright said he was gay. I mean, "partners" can be applied to heterosexual relationships, but it's less common, especially in this context.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

He told Marcus, "Seen half my friends and a few partners waste away from a plague Ronnie refused to even acknowledge", so he outright said he was gay. I mean, "partners" can be applied to heterosexual relationships, but it's less common, especially in this context.

Thanks, the dialog in this show is sometimes a little tough to hear.  

I'm not sure I totally like the main character he's a bit of a self-righteous know it all.. He's got some good qualities... Maybe its just too much focus on him.. And with both the female leads attached to him at least semi romantically it just feels like the Marcus the worlds greatest white Latino hour

• Love 2

Sorry, maybe I just don't have the patience I used to have, but I had to fast forward through pretty much all of Marcus' tripping.  I liked that Maria was the only one to actually take action.  I'm sorry Chico's dead (I assume) because he was an interesting character (cliched, like the rest of them but still), not sorry the abusive dad is dead - but was there any consequence of that? 

Who was the disfigured character (Chester?).  Can't remember who or what he is. 

57 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Sorry, maybe I just don't have the patience I used to have, but I had to fast forward through pretty much all of Marcus' tripping.  I liked that Maria was the only one to actually take action.  I'm sorry Chico's dead (I assume) because he was an interesting character (cliched, like the rest of them but still), not sorry the abusive dad is dead - but was there any consequence of that? 

Who was the disfigured character (Chester?).  Can't remember who or what he is. 

Chester is the nasty dude that abused Marcus in the foster home.   Apparently he was burned in the fire that Marcus caused but didn't cause, and that's why he's disfigured.

I keep thinking, "Come on, Marcus - stand up and FIGHT, dude!"  But he was pretty drugged out.  But I did wonder why Saya just stood there.  It seems out of character for her since she is a hell of a fighter.   And like you, I wondered what about the abusive dad?  They made a LOT of noise in that hotel room - and NO ONE is going to investigate?  There was a lot of blood - what did they do with the body?  A lot left up in the air.   The drug tripping cartoon scenes reminded me of the tripping dogs in the sausage factory in The Secret Life of Pets.  

• Love 1

I wasnt really feeling the trippy stuff, at least as much as I liked the other episodes. I think I ended up missing being at Murder Hogwarts, we really needed more guys in robes. The visuals did look really cool though, and that electric clown was the stuff of nightmares! 

I am actually going to miss Chico, assuming he is really dead. He was an asshole, but he was a compelling character to have around. I do appreciate that Maria was the one to actually kill him with her blade fans. But of course, they had to kill one of the only people in the world they ARENT supposed to murder!

Poor Billy.

S1.E5 quotes

Marcus: Fuck, where am I? I should know that. Okay, piece it together Two 8-balls of coke. Saya wouldn't shut up about water skiing. Billy had a bottle of ether, but that wasn't it.

Marcus: I do this thing after I'm around people where I overanalyze every interaction to see where I went wrong, who I offended. I sit up all night worrying I didn't catch the right cues or I said the wrong things.
Saya: Some might call that socially r*******.
Marcus: Human interaction is just a manipulation dance, a way for people to get what they want from each other. Popular people, they are just the best liars.
Saya: It gives people a reason not to act like assholes.
Marcus: You're an asshole.
Saya: I am the most well adjusted person in this car.
Marcus: Mm, does "well adjusted" go on drug-fueled road trips and use fake IDs to illegally gamble?

Billy: You guys smell that body odor and self-righteousness? Can only mean one thing. We've entered into the dank domain of the hippie.
Willie: Yo, I signed on for a road trip to Vegas, maybe have some laughs, meet some fly girls. What is this shit?
Marcus: Please don't tell me you're a Deadhead, please.
Saya: Hippies congregate here when they're not following Jerry Garcia's foul taint around. Hippies have drugs.

Billy: Life's about who you love and what you do for them.

Willie: This place is a bummer. My mom said hippies is what you get in a godless society.
Marcus: Your mom, the gang leader?
Willie: Ain't nobody tossing up devil sticks in the hood.
Billy: Your mom's right. A bunch of stinky, nomadic stragglers following a terrible band committed to an empty cause.

Willie: Saya's here to get with me. As soon as she found out y'all roped me into his, she was packing a bag.
Marcus: Her family just tried to kidnap her. I don't think hooking up is a priority.

Maria: I won the mirror at the state fair throwing balls at a toothless meth head. Perfect, right?
Saya: It really nails the shitty dive-bar coke-break ambiance.

Maria: I want this to be fun. I want to have fun with you, guapo. Do you want to have fun?
Marcus: Sure. Usually fun has less aggressive chest poking or none.

Saya: I warned you about these crunchy hippies and their bunk drugs, and you didn't listen to me. And now you've thrown all your money away.
Maria: Wasn't that a Mother Goose tale?

Billy: Was it Sinatra who said that the Strip is a bummer on seven hits of acid? Or was that Louis Prima?

Willie: Why would somebody shit in the ice machine?
Billy: I don't think anybody did. Did you want me to get you some ice?
Willie: Can you and I be friends, Teddy Ruxpin? Tell me a story about friendship and caring.
Billy: Dude, I'm a human boy.

Billy: My dad's not all bad. There are these moments where you can see the good guy inside Like he's trapped inside an asshole.
Marcus: Didn't he put your mom in danger and send you to King's to pay a debt?

Security officer: Holy cow, that is one terrible fake ID. You changed the date with a pen and laminated it.

Maria: Have you ever loved someone who mistreated you? Someone who used you to aid in their own delusions? Used your flexibility to force you into something harmful, no matter what the price to your soul?
Marcus: Yes.
Maria: So am I wrong for running away? Can you identify with that? The need to disappear, to start over?
Marcus: The only way I can identify with anyone is through a similar painful experience.
Maria: Like your pain is the only thing that defines you.

• Love 1

I felt like all the special effects and cartoony stuff from Marcus tripping went on way too long. It was more effective in small doses, like the little guy popping off the box of cookies in the convenience store. I guess all the tripping was supposed to make us question whether Marcus really saw Chester in the elevator or if that was the acid, but since we saw Chester in the previous episode it seemed pretty obvious that it was really him.

I really felt for Billy. He knew that killing his father would save his mom and brother (although did he not consider that the mob might still try to make him and his brother work off his dad's debt regardless of whether he was alive?), but there was that tiny part inside of him that was still the little boy who loved his dad. When he realized that his dad was actually dead, he was a broken kid who just wanted his dad to love him back. I thought it was sweet for Marcus to say that he was the one who killed him. Who knew that Marcus was capable of such kindness while tripping balls?

Ugh, Chico continues to be a horrible boyfriend and person. He followed her to Las Vegas and then just busted into her hotel room? Nice. It takes a certain kind of person to hit his girlfriend and then yell, "I love you!" I was conflicted about Willie. I didn't want him to have to break his no killing rule in order to save everyone, but I appreciated that he made the effort. I wonder if he really thought he would be able to kill Chico or if he knew that he was only capable of bluffing. I'm glad Maria was the one to kill him. After all the shit she put up with, it seemed apropos. I just hope that Chico is really dead. I do not need to see him teaming up with Chester's nasty violent ass.

I'm not here for a love triangle (like ever) but I really hope that Marcus doesn't tear apart Saya and Maria's friendship. I love those two together!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I had a dream last night where Billy was Quentin's dad. But also The Magicians and Deadly Class were the same show and Marcus and Quentin were one character.

To be both are annoying.. But Marcus rubs me the wrong way compared to Quentin who's a bit of a sad sack

I really really liked this episode.... they got the tripping scenes right, that's for sure! And the different types of trips.... Marcus tripping his balls off was spot on...

-The music was awesome too! Saudade brought on so many college memories..Loved that song...

-Billy's reaction after his father died was so well acted! 

-I am also glad that Maria took care of Chico. His look of surprise was perfect. But where did her fan come from, and where did it go after she dropped it??

Edited by materialgirl101
to add
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, materialgirl101 said:

-The music was awesome too! Saudade brought on so many college memories..Loved that song...

This show has great music, it makes such odd but perfect musical choices. 

The scene where Billy was talking to his recently killed dad was so sad. He sounded so young and heartbroken, like while he wanted his dad dead, actually going it was still awful. Like admitting that as much as his dad had good sides, he could never really find the good guy. 

Billy: What happened to this whole keeping this a secret so we don't all get killed?
Maria: We're trying.
Billy: Well, try harder! All our asses are riding on his boner!

Billy: You two still haven't done it?
Marcus: We decided to wait.
Billy: Why risk all this just to die a virgin?

Billy: Girls are like Schroedinger's cat. They both do and do not want you to do the exact thing they ask. It's like religion. God asks you to do a bunch of arbitrary shit like not eat shrimp or let linen touch wool. If he asks you to do things you'd do anyway, where's the faith?
Marcus: Is there some advice hidden in all of this?
Billy: With girls and Jesus, you just say whatever they want on the off chance it gets you into heaven.

Billy: Chico's absence from King's has one down side - it's left a Viktor sized asshole void.

Miss De Luca: The lesson - when faced with impossible odds, it is better to lose face and decline than to attempt power just beyond you.

Miss De Luca: And what exactly do you expect to happen here?
Billy: Well, to start I guess you could tie me up and call me rude names.

Miss De Luca: You are a hairless scrotum.
Billy: This isn't as sexy as I imagined.
Master Gao: This is what we need more of.
Billy: Safe word!
Miss De Luca: I'd make you a eunuch if it weren't redundant.

Willie: Superman's a punk. Always lets Lex Luthor go. He ends up going off and doing something more evil and leaves his friends in danger. But if Superman would just snap his neck, it'd be done, right?
Gabrielle: But Superman would never do that.
Willie: That's why everybody thinks he's a fucking punk.

Marcus: Dude! Why'd you do that?
Willie: Do what?
Marcus: Act like most dudes in comic book stores. You love Superman! Some girl starts hitting on you and you bite her head off?
Willie: But that wasn't. You think she? Shit.

Shabnam: My friend Johan in Sweden just sent me a photo of a naked lady. In eight hours, it'll be downloaded.
Marcus: That's an inspiring use of technology.

Shabnam: If we're such good friends, why don't you tell me who the girl is?
Marcus: This? This [mixtape] is for Billy.
Shabnam: Nobody records Depeche Mode's Somebody unless it's for a girl - a hot sad girl. I sure hope Billy likes his drawing of a unicorn making out with a rainbow pegasus.

Petra: So why doesn't Voltron just form the sword from the very beginning?
Saya: The American guy never bothered to translate the original scripts from the Japanese.
Petra: What? So they forgot to translate "it takes twenty minutes for the dumb sword to warm up"?

Billy: Did you hear about my super sexy interlude with Miss De Luca?
Petra: She had you hog tied and weeping with a riding crop up your ass.
Billy: You say that like it's a bad thing. Honestly, Petra, I never expected you to be so prudish.
Petra: You have no idea the kind of sexual scenarios this brain has imagined.

Zane: Gouging was invented in the eighteenth century. It's known for its emphasis on maximum disfigurement. I dig it cause it's a way for poor people to protect their honor. Now Miss Neocon 87 here, she likes anything that turns the clock back to the good old days of indentured servants and dysentery.
Miss De Luca: While Master Zane would prefer a land of liberal lawlessness where prostitutes sell schoolchildren crack cocaine. Today we will be practice basic nose biting, testicle ripping, and eye poking.

Master Lin: We don't have to let the damage define us.

• Love 1

Brandy is a horrible person, even by this shows standards, but razor blade pom poms are freaking awesome, and exactly what I want from this show. And those black cheerleader uniforms are a LOOK. 

Dear God, its like every week, the animated flashbacks become more and more fucked up. Poor Maria, take your meds, girl!

"We`re training you to be assassins, not pieces of shit."

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 9:58 AM, festivus said:

I think I could like this show but I'm going to use the standard old person rant now. I couldn't hear half of what they were saying because of the background music. I mean I loved the music and hearing The Killing Moon was great but if I can't understand what the characters are saying then I'm not getting the story and I won't have a reason to watch. This is the time when I wish I could read an old school recap.

I just caught this on demand and thank god... I was having problems understanding them too. At first I turned it up but I still couldn't really get most of what they were saying. Poor sound editing. 

Otherwise I was really drawn in. I knew nothing about the comic. 

I don't understand how all the students can just sneak out of the school and nobody notices. Willie and Marcus have jobs, so they leave regularly. How is the staff supposed to protect the students when nobody is watching them. How is the staff supposed to enforce the rule about students not killing each other when they are never around.

S1.E7 quotes

Chester: Come on. Keep me company while I dump. You're always going to be by my side like Simon and Simon.
Chico: They didn't shit together, man.
Chester: Right. I was thinking of Cagney and Lacey.

Shandy: Hey, Mr. F-Face, sir, captain, so I get there's no rules for this but it would be great if you could tell them not to stab me.
Chester: Shit, that's wrong but I can't help you. That's my people. I need them a hundred percent behind me. It wouldn't be right getting mad at people for just stabbing a captive.
Shandy: Well, thanks for hearing my complaint. Sorry to interrupt your book.

Scorpio: I have a need too. I NEED to sit in Pancho Villa's taqueria and enjoy a carnitas burrito.

Billy: Hey, guys? Did you know we're hanging with Scorpio Slasher?
Scorpio: We're getting burritos.

Scorpio: You and I are a lot more alike than that Dr. Seuss character beside you.
Billy: It's a mohawk! I have nothing in common with Dr. Seuss. It's like totally different.
Scorpio: Dr. Seuss is a drunk and a philanderer.
Billy: Shit. Really?
Scorpio: He was screwing another woman while his wife was dying of cancer. In a box, with a pox.
Billy: That's no punk. That's just high level dickish.
Scorpio: Dickish is subjective. Depends on who's doing what to whom.

Scorpio: The thing about me is I get angry when you call my names. But I also kind of like it

Chester: I gotta get on tv. That'll make it all better. Fame heals your insides. Dick Clark said that.

Marcus: You ever wonder what happened to your life, how you ended up here?
Saya: No.
Marcus: We're walking around the Mission with a serial killer on a leash.

Marcus: A lot of Americans believe in a sky god that helps them win football games.

Scorpio: Look at us - psycho peas in a pod.

Scorpio: They call me Scorpio Slasher but I also do disembowelments.

Scorpio Slasher may be a psycho killer, but I can't fault him for wanting a carnitas burrito. As someone who grew up in California, the Mexican food is what people always miss. I've had people ask me to Fed Ex burritos to them

Fun fact #1: the Pancho Villa taqueria that he wanted to go to is real and it opened in 1987.

Fun fact #2: The That's What ice cream he was eating is really called an It's It and people from the Bay Area love those things. I'm from southern California so I think they're okay but nothing I'd go out of my way to find. The original It's It is an ice cream sandwich with vanilla ice cream between two oatmeal cookies and the whole thing is dipped in chocolate.

Chester talking to Chico's decapitated head was creepy yet somehow hilarious.

At the end of the episode, Marcus, Saya, and Billy chased after Chester so I'm assuming that Scorpio managed to escape. I can't imagine he decided to politely wait for them to take him back to school.

Master Lin did not do a great job at hiding his family. Although on the other hand, I guess he didn't do a terrible job since he managed to keep them hidden for six years.

• Love 2

Loved your comments, ElectricBoogaloo.   You touched on all my highlights.

I haven't quite decided on how I feel about this show - it's kind of hit or miss... but I really enjoyed this episode!    Watching the serial killer Scorpio walking around on a leash and seeing how lethal he really is even when he is tethered was  - well "fun" seems pretty lame, but that DOES sum it up.  It was really entertaining.  He had that knife at Saya's throat in seconds showing that he had the power to leave whenever he chose, but he CHOSE to go along with the kids for his own reasons.  And when he grabs the knife from the guy and disembowels him - Holy Hell, Batman!   And of course he escaped.  You would think ONE of the kids would have had the foresight to grab onto Scorpio's leash (seriously dudes - you can't catch a vehicle) but seeing how deadly he really is, I doubt they could have reined him in.  Who wants to sit chained up in a cell when you can be out doing your killing "thing"?  lol        I really enjoyed the descriptions of both the tasty burritos AND the ice cream from Electric.   I thought that whole scenario was pretty damn funny.  

From past episodes I gathered that there are rules but they are encouraged to be broken to further your skills as long as you don't get caught.  A kind of "Anything goes unless you're sloppy".  There is no way the staff can guarantee any child's safety when they are training to be assassins.  Look at some of their brutal classes - someone goes down and hits their head just right or they don't evade a knife jab - and that's it - even in the safety of the school.

Loved how they filmed that last scene with Maria.  I'm not sure who she killed and why - certain it has something to do with Chico but I'm confused.  Any insights would be welcome!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Loved how they filmed that last scene with Maria.  I'm not sure who she killed and why - certain it has something to do with Chico but I'm confused.  Any insights would be welcome!

Last week Juan (one of Maria's guys) came to her and said that Peter, a guy from the Dixie mob (Brandy Lynn's group), said that he saw Yukio, a guy from the Kuroki syndicate (Saya's group), open the door for the two masked guys who tried to kill Chico. Juan was convinced that this meant Yukio had ordered the hit on Chico. His other "evidence" was that Yukio wanted Chico out of business.

Maria knew that Yukio had nothing to do with Chico's death so she didn't want to kill him. She tried to cast doubt on Yukio's involvement in Chico's murder by pointing out that Peter is a drug addict and is therefore unreliable as a witness.

This week, Chico's father (Diablo) came to the school with his second who went to Maria's room and told her (1) Chico's father knew she was lying when they were in Master Lin's office and (2) she had 24 hours to figure out who killed Chico and avenge his death. Although she didn't want to kill Yukio, it was down to kill him or Chico's father was going to have her killed so she went to the club and killed Yukio. Diablo is (supposedly) satisfied but I'm sure this is going to cause a huge war between Saya's group and Maria's group.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

So their serial killer teacher is a serial killer who specifically likes to kill teenagers? Sometimes, I question how well a murder school can really guarantee its students safety! They also apparently have a room they randomly stick kids in and have them do puzzles to get out, or...they die? I mean, I can get why Lin doesent want his daughter to be a future student here. 

So now Maria has set up one of the guys from Sayas group for Chicos death, and killed him in "retribution" to get his dad off her back, and keep him from probably killing her. Oh, this is going to cause all kinda of trouble, especially between Saya and Maria. 

Who knew French Stewart could be so creepy? Him running around on his leash was hilarious, loved all of his scenes. He and Fuckface are going to be awesome/scary to watch fight against each other, or team up together and wreck havoc. 

These animated backstories get more and more disturbing every week.

11 hours ago, Kyanight said:

A kind of "Anything goes unless you're sloppy". 

Thats pretty much what Lin said in the detention episode. Nobody was in there for doing whatever crappy thing they did, they were in there for getting caught, which is not what you want to do as an assasin. 

Its interesting that while Lin is the headmaster of this school, and sells it as being such a good thing that can help the students find their place in the world (at least thats how he sold Marcus on it) but he clearly wants his daughter as far away from that life as is possible with him still in the picture.

I'm starting to sour on this show a bit.  I loved French Stewart as the Hannibal Lechter of the show but Fuckface is definitely getting old really fast.  He is not an interesting character and seems like a very low threat to these training assassins.  I just want to see more of Hogwarts for Murderers and Marcus trying to survive/thrive there. 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, Matt K said:

I'm starting to sour on this show a bit.  I loved French Stewart as the Hannibal Lechter of the show but Fuckface is definitely getting old really fast.  He is not an interesting character and seems like a very low threat to these training assassins.  I just want to see more of Hogwarts for Murderers and Marcus trying to survive/thrive there. 

Agreed. I feel like he is a low threat to Marcus. Marcus grabbed me from the start but he is staring to fall into the background and I just don't love the other characters *that* much. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 8:00 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Last week Juan (one of Maria's guys) came to her and said that Peter, a guy from the Dixie mob (Brandy Lynn's group), said that he saw Yukio, a guy from the Kuroki syndicate (Saya's group), open the door for the two masked guys who tried to kill Chico.

A quick chime in here, don't mind me. Loving the show so far, and have to say, even knowing that Marcus is the protagonist in this series, the SOB is the luckiest guy in the school.  Two hot babes interested in him and he's managed to survive countless insults and attacks, and those were from his friends. ELECTRICBOOGALOO, are you certain that Juan said Peter said he saw Yukio let the two masked guys in to kill Chico?  I'm reasonably certain Yukio was spotted letting the guys in, but I thought they were part of the Kuroki syndicate, there to capture Saya and bring her back?  Didn't Yukio receive the bundle of money covering the picture of Saya?  Soon after that, he was spotted (on screen) letting the masked guys in.   Were there two sets of masked intruders? Or was one of the students lying?

Edited by Jacks-Son
Horrible writing while snacking.
12 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

ELECTRICBOOGALOO, are you certain that Juan said he saw Yukio let the two masked guys in to kill Chico?  I'm reasonably certain Yukio was spotted letting the guys in, but I thought they were part of the Kuroki syndicate, there to capture Saya and bring her back?

No, Juan did not say that he saw Yukio let the masked guys in. Juan said that Peter told him that.

Juan: I heard something you should know. You know that Dixie mob kid, Peter, I deal to? He said he saw Yukio open the door for those masked motherfuckers who tried to kill Chico. 
Maria: Peter's a drug addict. 
Juan: It makes a lot of sense. Kuroki wanted Chico out of business. Yukio? He's got to go.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
4 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

No, Juan did not say that he saw Yukio let the masked guys in. Juan said that Peter told him that.

Sorry about that.  I realized that I had written my response incorrectly and went back and edited it yesterday.  My point being that it seems someone is lying as Yukio, let the masked guys in to kidnap Saya, NOT to kill Chico. So, either Juan is lying or Peter is lying.

7 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Sorry about that.  I realized that I had written my response incorrectly and went back and edited it yesterday.  My point being that it seems someone is lying as Yukio, let the masked guys in to kidnap Saya, NOT to kill Chico. So, either Juan is lying or Peter is lying.

I don’t think it means that anyone is lying. Peter saw Yukio open the door for the masked guys. Peter is part of the Dixie mob and Juan is part of Maria’s group so neither Peter nor Juan knew that the masked guys were there to kidnap Saya. All they know is that Chico was attacked by the masked guys. It’s not like the masked guys sent a group text to everyone at the school saying, “Whoops, my bad if anyone else got hurt while we were on campus in our botched attempt to kidnap Saya.” Juan’s (mis)interpretation was simple and logical: Yukio let in the guys who attacked Chico so therefore Yukio must have ordered the attack on Chico. Juan didn’t consider the possibility that Chico was collateral damage because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Viktor eating Marcuses note because he dissed Bon Jovi is hilarious petty. 

Ah the threesome. So close, and yet so far. This shows is definitely at its best at the school. 

Is THAT why he ate the note?  I just thought Viktor was being his usual ass.  The "Deadly Class" official podcast had the actress who plays Petra on, and she said that she's not sure if the threesome would  have continued if it wasn't for the lifting of the lockdown.  She also said that, in her opinion, it was Petra's experiment in assassin manipulation.  Trying to see how far she could get Billy and shithead (my name for him as I think he belongs in that Fuckface bowl along with the other turds) to go.