Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Walleye

This episode was somewhat painful, watching Jack go full-on psycho on Miles (and hurting Devin on the process), but damn if I didn't laugh out loud (and rewind several times) the bit when he's imitating and mocking the students. He was spot on with their phrasing, tone of voice, and intonation.

The subplot with the teachers and Durbin could have -- nay, should have -- been eliminated. It had nothing to do with the main plot and detracted from emotional heaviness of Jack's mini breakdown. It's like it was a different show entirely. 

• Love 3

I was neutral on Miles before this one, but after Jack's cruel-to-the-extreme behavior I'm pretty much pro-Miles and anti-Jack now.   I want Jack taken down.  And it needs to be worse than having a non-teaching job in Toledo. 

And the lady teachers can go away. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The subplot with the teachers and Durbin could have -- nay, should have -- been eliminated. It had nothing to do with the main plot and detracted from emotional heaviness of Jack's mini breakdown. It's like it was a different show entirely. 

Totally. Instead of the other teachers having wacky adventures, I want the kids to get the subplots. I want to see what they're doing without Jack. (I will admit that I did like the suggestion to use non-cliche movies as the dance theme, but that's only because I've been teaching for 16 years and I'm getting tired of Night under the Sea/Night under the Stars/Arabian Nights/Great Gatsby theme that the students pick every single year.) 

I'm glad that Miles is genuinely a good guy. His scenes with Devin were too sad.

• Love 3

This episode is setting me up to sympathize with Miles and further villify Jack.  However, Miles is probably at least one step ahead of Jack in knowing about him living in Toledo and his high school job (before Jack's disclosure), and now Miles may be baiting Jack with that Stanford offer.  Jack is probably being set up for more frustration, if not a huge season finale shocker.

• Love 2

Jack has got to be one of  the most unlikeable characters on tv. He's deplorable in every way.  I can't think of one positive attribute! Think he may be a sociopath? Also why haven't the students reported him to the authorities? Yes I know it's just a tv show but it's getting too farcical even for me (and I'm a huge snl fan!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

Jack has got to be one of  the most unlikeable characters on tv. He's deplorable in every way.  I can't think of one positive attribute! Think he may be a sociopath? Also why haven't the students reported him to the authorities? Yes I know it's just a tv show but it's getting too farcical even for me (and I'm a huge snl fan!)

I love him. I guess I just like the anti hero. Clearly he isn't that bad. When Devon was upset with him he went outside and easily gave up something he didn't want to - clearly he has come to care for the kids, I think Devon, the most and can't really accept it.  Can't wait for the season finale. 

• Love 4
On 4/26/2018 at 10:55 PM, SmithW6079 said:

And also wasn't resolved...I wanted to see what happened at the Congo prom!

I do like what they did with this episode; the kids aren’t teaching Jack(he can’t have that now), but he obviously cares what they think and it does impact his thoughts about himself. I agree that the teachers subplot didn’t work this time. I appreciated seeing the kid who transferred in with his younger brother. The kids are one of the more winning parts of this series. 

• Love 1