Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E23: Ka hana a ka mākua, o ka hana no ia a keiki (What Parents Do, Children Will Do)

• Start Topic

*doing a happy dance of celebration* Danny got his shirt off! Danny got his shirt off! Danny got his shirt off and showed his skills while remaining cool and with true-to-character snarky grumpiness! Oh, and there was a bit of touching (and, weirdly, a bit less body hair - did anybody else notice that? Not that I really care much!). Really, for a slash-loving fanfic reader and all round Danny fan, that's kind of all I need to like an episode.

Other thoughts - I'm absolutely certain there will be plenty of further action for AOL but this ep showed the writers are taking his need to slow down seriously - the vet's advice, the new kids' pairing, other characters (in this case Danny) getting a little kick-ass limelight, all helps set the tone for a leader who is having to change his ways a little going forward into next season. No doubt next week will show the opposite!

Also, having given kudos to the writers for that, I do wonder why, having mis-used poor old Adam's storyline as an expert in organised crime, they then write an episode about organised crime without him in it. Yes okay, it's not involving the Yakuza, and yes, they always seemed to want to keep his work utterly separate from the rest of the team (an error IMHO), and yes, I think Adam has quit that role in a huff and run off to the mainland since, y'know, showing he was completely useless at it and got people killed and lost all his money and *probably* (?) murdered his only-just-discovered secret half-sister. But with a bit better planning, surely, this could have been an opportunity to knit things together a little? I can't say I miss Adam, but I cannot understand why, in their planning meetings, the writers/show runners don't see the need for/benefit of characters' continuity arcs beyond simply filling each 45 minutes.

Still, as I said before, I liked the episode, if only for my own shallow reasons. *slinking off to watch that scene again* :)   

• Love 1
(edited)

HA!  I couldn’t watch because Hubby was on the phone w/his horse betting buddies (I’m a fan too. I just don’t bet), and OMG they were talking loudly over & at each other that I couldn’t hear the tv.

BUT, I did look up to see smooth! chested Danny kicking ass.  Don’t know the context, but was that legendary character actor James Hong?  He looks fabulous for being nearly 90, if so.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Roselle said:

*doing a happy dance of celebration* Danny got his shirt off! Danny got his shirt off! Danny got his shirt off and showed his skills while remaining cool and with true-to-character snarky grumpiness! Oh, and there was a bit of touching (and, weirdly, a bit less body hair - did anybody else notice that? Not that I really care much!). Really, for a slash-loving fanfic reader and all round Danny fan, that's kind of all I need to like an episode.

You and me both!!  Glad Danny didn't take Steve's advice on that one.  I'll be watching this episode again.  I'd also like to give thanks to the writer's for having Danny take his shirt off for a change. (Yes, I know this is shallow, but how many seasons have you guys gotten to watch women walking around in bikini's and push-up bras?)

Also, having given kudos to the writers for that, I do wonder why, having mis-used poor old Adam's storyline as an expert in organised crime, they then write an episode about organised crime without him in it. Yes okay, it's not involving the Yakuza, and yes, they always seemed to want to keep his work utterly separate from the rest of the team (an error IMHO), and yes, I think Adam has quit that role in a huff and run off to the mainland since, y'know, showing he was completely useless at it and got people killed and lost all his money and *probably* (?) murdered his only-just-discovered secret half-sister. But with a bit better planning, surely, this could have been an opportunity to knit things together a little? I can't say I miss Adam, but I cannot understand why, in their planning meetings, the writers/show runners don't see the need for/benefit of characters' continuity arcs beyond simply filling each 45 minutes.

I like that Steve is realizing he needs to slow down a little.  It's great to see him in action, but I don't have to see that in every episode. 

My thoughts on this is that they really didn't know where to go with Adam.  I hear his story will take front and center in the final episode of the season without him, although I'm not sure.  I hope this is not a spoiler.  If it is, I apologize.  Since they have been so persistent on the restaurant storyline, how about having Adam help in that capacity.  Surely, he can budget and balance books, money, and resources.  From what they alluded to and what little I can remember, Adam started out as the legitimate, educated, business man of the family.  He stayed away from his father's business until Wo-Fat killed him and Adam wanted vengeance. 

Glad Danny didn't take Steve's advice on that one.

I think James Hong's character wanted to see his grandson loose the fight. That's why he picked Danny to do the fighting because he knew he would actually fight and give the kid a wake-up call. This way, he doesn't have to worry about his grandson having "poison in his heart" when the funding has to eventually be cut off. Maybe the kid will focus on getting better and getting real sparring partners.

I thought the show had slipped a reel when Junior suddenly showed up at the apartment. 

I loved how laughably bad the son of the gangster shot. He was so out of his element. Parallels between him and the kid who wanted to be a movie star. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ally said:

My thoughts on this is that they really didn't know where to go with Adam.  I hear his story will take front and center in the final episode of the season without him, although I'm not sure.  I hope this is not a spoiler.  If it is, I apologize.  Since they have been so persistent on the restaurant storyline, how about having Adam help in that capacity.  Surely, he can budget and balance books, money, and resources.

At this point I wouldn't rely on Adam to deliver a pizza. 

Interesting that the show only had the one plot, though it seemed fairly straightforward and not complicated for the sake of being complicated. 

What happened to George? Is he the one person who actually shut up in the Blue Room and got away with it. 

I was rolling my eyes when Junior ripped him out of the car until Danny remarked about him being like Steve. 

I know on this show Five 0 always has to be 'right', but most of the evidence they had was circumstantial until they had the witness. The mafia son caved really quick. I mean, it was dark in the house. Though it was stupid of him to use the same gun to kill the mother and his father. 

Sometimes I think we have a deleted scene which might explain a snippet of dialogue, because otherwise it makes no sense. Junior and Tani were talking to Cammie in the boxcar, and Cammie said she and her mother had to run because one of the murderers was with the police! In the scene flashback, we see the badge on the waist of the bald-headed goon. AND...that was it. No further mention or explanation. Also, I don't think any veterinarian, regardless of their background, would proceed to give an exam to a pet's owner. Granted, it was for comic relief. And, far better than the veterinarians getting shot or beaten as they usually were in previous episodes. I also liked Grover trying to tough-talk George into giving information, and getting nowhere. So, George is sitting outside of Cammie's apartment, presumably waiting for her to return? The front door is open, you assume that is how Junior got in. So, was George late to the scene and didn't notice Junior go in through the front door? Not much of a surveillance guy, in that case. And, I was looking for the scar on Danny's chest before he starting fighting, as he should have the same noticeable scar as Steve has had in various scenes, but...didn't see one? One last thing, I hope they find a way to bring back James Hong for another show. He owned that scene!

1 hour ago, GustheCat said:

Also, I don't think any veterinarian, regardless of their background, would proceed to give an exam to a pet's owner. Granted, it was for comic relief.

No, it would be medically unethical if the doctor actually diagnosed something. I suppose just taking his vitals and saying, you seem stressed is ok. It was worth the scene for Danny saying that Steve doesn't get a cookie because he was bad. 

1 hour ago, GustheCat said:

So, was George late to the scene and didn't notice Junior go in through the front door?

I figured he was only waiting for the woman to return and then just snatch her. Or he could have been told to just wait and tail her or something. I didn't find it that egregious compared to dropping the whole cop storyline. 

(edited)

Will Sasso was the vet, an actor who has been in many, many movies and shows. Such a small odd part - I have to guess he knows someone!

James Hong! I am a huge Big Trouble in Little China fan (he was Lo Pan, the villain) and not shamed to admit that I also know him as Booger's teacher in the second Revenge of the Nerds movie. (Don't judge!) 

Such a good episode! Lots of long-missing McDanno moments, Eddie, a great sequence for "the kids," Lou got to threaten someone, and a fairly non-convoluted plot.  Loved the vet scene!

But yeah, huge lack of followup in the "one was a cop" thing (why even make him a cop? Just to explain why Cammy didn't go to the police?) and the guy in the room of doom (who did he work for? The family or the Feds? Guessing the Feds since the family would have killed her?) but still a fun episode. Just seems like some scenes were cut for time.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1

Yeah as really Will used to be on Mad TV the Fox version of Saturday Night Live

James Hong is a delight. Has 424 credits on the IMDB site.

Missing a lot of McDanno's scenes too and Danny must box or something or Steve must have showed him some moves. Scott C is a BJJ black belt BTW!

Thought the feds would come and take over Five 0 crime scene but guess not. 

But maybe why in the world did the daughter not go straight to the police as she should had and they should had her in witness protection until they found her mother's killer. 

Give it a 8/10. 

5 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as really Will used to be on Mad TV the Fox version of Saturday Night Live

James Hong is a delight. Has 424 credits on the IMDB site.

Missing a lot of McDanno's scenes too and Danny must box or something or Steve must have showed him some moves. Scott C is a BJJ black belt BTW!

Thought the feds would come and take over Five 0 crime scene but guess not. 

But maybe why in the world did the daughter not go straight to the police as she should had and they should had her in witness protection until they found her mother's killer. 

Give it a 8/10. 

The last belt color/level I could find for Alex was a blue belt with 4 stripes, which he earned approximately 2-3 years ago (2015 or 2016, according to most sources). I don't know how far below Scott's black belt that would be though.

One last thing, I hope they find a way to bring back James Hong for another show. He owned that scene!

He's always great.  I've seen him in so many movies and TV shows, but I mainly remember him from the original 'Blade Runner' (the guy with the eyes, yeek!) and in the Chinese restaurant on 'Seinfeld' ('Seinfeld, party of four?').  And, if I hadn't been looking at the screen, I would have recognized him immediately from his voice.

I also noticed that they dropped the whole 'cop involvement' plot.  I'm guessing that it'll come up later and a whole law enforcement/organized crime thing. 

Loved, loved, loved having James Hong on my screen, and with such a perfect, must-have-been-written-for-him character.  Love.

This episode also got us back to our good ol' McDanno banter and interactions.  It was refreshing! 

Methinks the veterinarian has a crush on Steve.  The HoYay was strong in that scene.  It was borderline sexual harassment!

• Love 1