Type keyword(s) to search

Rampage (2018)

Stenbeck
  • Start Topic

Brad Peyton’s monster movie stars Dwayne Johnson and Naomie Harris as scientists confronting gigantic, genetically modified predators.

The movie is half-decent, although it has major problems:

The villains are ridiculous...in a Rocky and Bullwinkle type of way. How the hell are these two idiots running a billion dollar company?

The special effects were hit or miss, good effects for George and the crocodile from hell. Awful for the wolf. 

I never understood Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character ---what agency is he from? Why is he basically all alone? What's with the cowboy thing? Why did his suit NEVER get dirty amidst all the chaos, rubble, bullets, rockets, etc?

Having the movie open in outer space was awesome. I really enjoyed the opening scenes. 

Overall: Meh, catch it whenever it's on basic cable at 11pm.

I saw this movie yesterday. I enjoyed it. No, it's not a perfect movie, but you could do worse.(gigli anyone?)

I didn' understand the Morgan character either. He changed sides so quickly. I kept waiting for him to kill George or kill the rocks character. 

The bad guy getting eating or stomped on is a good demise to me

Liked the happy ending too

• Love 1
(edited)

Jeffery Dean Morgan is forever ruined by playing Negan, so I kind of lost interest when he showed up. I kept expecting him to introduce Lucille. And WTF was the alligator mixed with?! And a flying wolf?! Was that in the game?

Edited by SherriAnt
To add a thought
  • Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

Jeffery Dean Morgan is forever ruined by playing Negan, so I kind of lost interest when he showed up. I kept expecting him to introduce Lucille. And WTF was the alligator mixed with?! And a flying wolf?! Was that in the game?

100 percent big no. This is only loosely based on the arcade from 1987. The arcade is mostly a wreck havoc game in the vein of King of The Monsters. You had only George, Ralph, and Lizzie. There was no wolf involved.

Edited by Robert Lynch

Okay, I liked the very end, but the huge animal fight was over the top for me (and The Crocodile That Would Not Die). My dad enjoyed it, too, so I'm glad we watched it.

I love Dwayne Johnson and I love disaster-filled action movies.  This was a big old pile of shite.

Malin Ackerman and her useless brother are two of the worst actors I've ever seen in a movie.  The writing is terrible.  The special effects are awful.  The interactions between George and Dwayne Johnson's character at the beginning are just embarrassingly laughable.  I really wanted to enjoy this movie but it was just awful.

• Love 1

I just saw this on HBO Now and I enjoyed it. I think if I had paid money to see it in a theater I would have been disappointed, but for a night in my house with my popcorn and jammies it was just fine. Were some of the characters ridiculous? Yes. Was some of the CGI bad? Yes. But I just took it for what it was. I agree with an earlier poster that the opening in space was really cool. I couldn't believe Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character was ok until the very end because of Negan. Loved George and his interactions with Dwayne Johnson's character.

• Love 1

This was a big, dumb movie. But, I was somehow still entertained.

Some of The Rock's lines made me laugh...especially the one where he was choking some guy out and he was all "it's a big arm...let it happen". *snort*

Sometime, someone will have to explain to me how Malin Akerman gets work. I just don't understand.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:00 PM, tinaw said:

I didn' understand the Morgan character either. He changed sides so quickly. I kept waiting for him to kill George or kill the rocks character. 

I kept expecting him to betray them. I swear it was the accent. I was waiting to find out that OGA were the Bigger Bads behind Evil Corp.

That said, I really enjoyed this movie. It was a rip roaring ride from start to finish. I loved how sweet Okoye was, and how he desperately kept trying to save George. George's sick sense of humour was a nice callback from the start of the movie. I wish Okoye and the Doctor had at least kissed, I expected that to happen when they separated and she went to get Morgan, and I was disappointed. But lack of explicit romantic confirmation aside, the two had amazing chemistry. For an action movie, it did really well with its lead characters. Okoye had that mini-arc of "learning to like humans" and the Dr had her vengeance story against Evil Inc. Getting to literally feed the "monster" to the gorilla was a hell yeah! moment at home.

Kong vs T-Rex flashbacks when George fought the Crocodile... something I'm sure was not accidental. 🙂 I'll recommend this movie to anyone who wants a light-hearted adrenaline ride. Even the language was tame for its rating.