Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Shock To The System

Miranda Bailey visits Ben at work, meeting his new co-workers for the first time. While most of the team responds to a motor vehicle accident involving an electrical danger, Andy and Maya are paired up to go on their first stakeout.

I wasn't paying good attention. I didn't realize Marshall was the husband of the pregnant yakky mom who was camped out in the fire house. That phone call got me in the feels.

I also don't understand. The street got charged? Is that what the fire fighter said? How does hopping help?

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, rhys said:

I wasn't paying good attention. I didn't realize Marshall was the husband of the pregnant yakky mom who was camped out in the fire house. That phone call got me in the feels.

I also don't understand. The street got charged? Is that what the fire fighter said? How does hopping help?

You didn't miss anything. You were not supposed to know they were together until he called her.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, rhys said:

The idea is that if your body comes in contact with high voltage, you want it to not go through your chest, which will stop the heart or cause it to go into V-fib. Electrical burns can be survivable, and are better than dying instantly, which is basically what would happen if the current flows through. Seven milliAmps through the heart will stop it. That's 7/1000ths of an Amp. Primary power lines can deliver thousands of Amps. Getting both feet on the ground at the same time is the lesser evil. To carry the victim's analogy further, "electric chair bad" -- the electric chair "only" uses about 2500-4000 Volts. Primary power lines are in the vicinity of 14,000 to 22,500 Volts. That would push hundreds or thousands of Amps right through. I think in reality he'd have died instantly or close-enough to not make a difference.

But yeah....right in the feels. Good story-telling, even if the physics weren't quite accurate.

What I didn't get is why Truck didn't use their insulated poles to just lift the lines off the car long enough to let the victim walk away. Electric charges dissipate the instant the current is removed. So enough of those insulated sticks could have just lifted all the energized lines off both the car and the ground for the 5 or 10 seconds it would have taken for the guy to just step down and run to safety, then they drop the lines back when he's safe and wait for the power company to do their thing. Johnny and Roy did that 45 years ago—they'd have gotten him out! I just rewatched that episode last week! They could have also gone to the poles on either side and cut the primary and secondary lines, or pulled the breaker handles if they were close by. There's usually one every block, give or take in most residential areas.

But I've said this before here and elsewhere, electricity at that potential is the single scariest thing you can imagine. In a fire or almost any other emergency, you can see, smell or otherwise sense the danger. Not so with electricity. You don't see it coming and it's game over in a fraction of a second. I also didn't get how they were able to get close enough with that absorball without risking getting cooked, but I admit I wasn't paying that close attention.

• Love 5

I didn't understand how the other ff was able to get close enough to the car to pour absorbent material on the gasoline without getting shocked, but what the hey.

I did enjoy the long conversation between Jack and the driver in the truck, with Jack dropping the anvil without even realizing what the conversation was about.  And, yeah, one of you two has to go.  Just 'cause you broke up doesn't mean there won't be any lingering problems when the promotion comes.

I notice that Shondaland Fire Department has specialized patches that say "Station 19" instead of Seattle Fire Department.  Does every station have its own or just these guys?

Edited by Dowel Jones

I liked that episode, but I have got to say that I am even more worried that Ben is going to cheat on Miranda. Keeping traumatizing secrets from your spouse isn't good, especially when she was opening up to hearing about his job.

I liked that Andy and her friend made peace and that Andy was appropriately mortified by her self-absorption. I also liked that Andy and Jack told the team even if they already knew. The guy who spoke up was right, but I don't expect Jack to leave.

I loved that Andy finally realized that Ryan is a great guy. I really like him. Yeah, she got scared and bailed, hopefully she will woman up soon.

I am enjoying Dean's romance with Brenda Song's character. I hope she is sticking around.

It was a good twist that it was the man was killed by the powerlines was the husband of the wife who went to the firestation. I thought that she would be the one in jeopardy.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I liked that episode, but I have got to say that I am even more worried that Ben is going to cheat on Miranda. Keeping traumatizing secrets from your spouse isn't good, especially when she was opening up to hearing about his job.

I liked that Andy and her friend made peace and that Andy was appropriately mortified by her self-absorption. I also liked that Andy and Jack told the team even if they already knew. The guy who spoke up was right, but I don't expect Jack to leave.

I loved that Andy finally realized that Ryan is a great guy. I really like him. Yeah, she got scared and bailed, hopefully she will woman up soon.

I am enjoying Dean's romance with Brenda Song's character. I hope she is sticking around.

It was a good twist that it was the man was killed by the powerlines was the husband of the wife who went to the firestation. I thought that she would be the one in jeopardy.

I like Brenda also.  Never saw any of her Disney stuff, but I did see her in an recurring role on the first (and second?) season of Scandal, when she played David Rosen's assistant.  Yet another member of the Shondaland Actor Recycling Group  :)

6 minutes ago, transitfan said:

I like Brenda also.  Never saw any of her Disney stuff, but I did see her in an recurring role on the first (and second?) season of Scandal, when she played David Rosen's assistant.  Yet another member of the Shondaland Actor Recycling Group  :)

That is why she looks so familiar! I liked her a lot on Scandal. Good actress. I hope that they give her a more prominent role and more to do. 

On 4/13/2018 at 12:07 AM, rhys said:

The street got charged? Is that what the fire fighter said? How does hopping help?

It's ridiculous - like this show.  How is hopping going to help?  

Why not say "Hop on one foot.  From one foot to the other.  And don't stop hopping until you are half a mile away!"  What was with that guy?  Hopped twice and then fell down and died?

When he fell down, they were "Nooo!  Don't go to hom him!"  and I was "Yeah!  And don't use the ten-foot fiberglass boathook to drag him to safety or anything!"

The old man retires from running the station... and two days later he's the new butler?!??

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

I know it’s bedn a while since I watched Greys Anatomy, but I had to laugh at Miranda not wanting to hear about the dangers of her husband’s work. Isn’t there like a fire or a flood or a shooting at the hospital at least once a season?