Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, rcc said:

Radio mumbo jumbo was boring.

Two crashing boors bickering about their toys with cops, lawyers, text battles, etc. The only interesting part was Def knowingly passing an NSF check which, I've learned on court shows, is a felony?

2 hours ago, rcc said:

Next case two sisters both living in mama's house, one suing the other. Lol

I didn't watch this but I'm surprised they could all fit.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Nothing is personal.  Nothing is sacred anymore.

Just waiting for the question:

Hey Judges, have either or both of you ever contacted a STD?  If so, how and any advice to those who can’t tolerate penicillin?  Asking for a friend.  By the way, your daughters are amazing!!

It’s coming to an episode soon.  I can almost guarantee it.

If it were up to Levin, we'd get questions like that, couched in giggly, juvenile terms. No, nothing is personal anymore. I hear people discussing on national TeeVee things I wouldn't tell my best friend, let alone my neighbours, co-workers, employers, and my kidse's friends and parents.

Is the desire for the 15 minutes so strong it outweighs every shred of decency and discretion?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

What was the deal with the Plaintiff sitting in a chair that was encased in a plastic bag?

Then again, maybe I don’t want to know.  Now that I think about it, never mind.  

What was the deal with the Plaintiff sitting in a chair that was encased in a plastic bag?

Which one was that? The P with the cellar-spider fake lashes suing Sir Galahad of the Problematic Debit Card? The Battleaxe suing the Wharf Rat? Maybe it was the 3rd case. I passed on that after reading Levin's summation: "It's the case of 'Your ass is grass'". Levin? Just what IS your obsession with posteriors and leaks? You're such an icky, butt-sniffing little dirtbag.

FIrst Def certainly was rather indignant for someone who stiffed his girlfriend/friend/whatever for 40$ measly dollars. She sent it to him by CashApp but he couldn't pay it back the same way because of his banking and debit card woes. I have trouble believing that someone who scrounges 40$ has any bank account or debit cards. He says he instructed her to come and pick it up from another state and that was the only way she was getting it back. She harassed him! She wants an extra 60$ for her mental anguish or whatever. She gets 40$ and court costs although she has no idea what those were. The D babbled some BS in the hall with his flappy piehole and I've already forgotten it.

Then we had the mouthy Battleaxe who sold her car to the slimy Def Wharf Rat for 400$ She says it was worth 2500$, although it seems it wasn't even registered in her name or has two VINs or... I dunno. She was homeless and lived in a shelter. I was wondering why since we heard she has a daughter and son-in-law. I wondered no more when we heard about the daughter and then saw and heard son-in-law, who is a buddy of the WR and who appeared to be testifying in his veehickle.

Def says he never bought the car, but gave P 200$ so he could try it out and see if anything was wrong with this 20-year-old beater. Turns there was and it was not in the pristine condition D expected. If it had been he would have paid the money because he says he ALWAYS has at least 400$ in his pocket. Okay. 😄  "Where is it now?" JM asks him. "What? The car?" he replies. Uhh, it's impounded or at the junkyard maybe? He doesn't know.  He informs P that her daughter is a lunatic like her mother and who OD'd on 50 pills of some sort.

P is owed 200$ on the car but wants 5K (yeah, don't we all?) due to mental suffering, the cost of travel to go and sell the car, and all that crap. She  gets 200$. English, both written and spoken is cruelly fractured.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Which one was that? 

Yesterday’s case with the big sisters living in the same house.

The plaintiff was sitting in a chair that was inside a large plastic bag. The bag was bigger than the chair and had about a foot of excess plastic that was pointed in the air near the headrest. 

And it really was a bag.  Not a slipcover made of plastic. 

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

.  Not a slipcover made of plastic. 

Well, improvisation is very eco friendly. I wondered if the plastic was to protect her from the chair or to protect the chair from her.

• LOL 3

And it really was a bag.  Not a slipcover made of plastic. 

I skipped that one, so just took a 20-second peek now. Yeah, so like, it really is some sort of standard, thin, plastic garment bag and it's not even on straight. The surroundings looked like some sort of storage room.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I skipped that one, so just took a 20-second peek now. Yeah, so like, it really is some sort of standard, thin, plastic garment bag and it's not even on straight. The surroundings looked like some sort of storage room.

I guess I’m so interested in the background decor because in my mind, if I am going to sue my relative (or anyone else for that matter) I’d want the background to be as pristine as it could be so that the judge would think I’m an orderly, decent person and people like me wouldn’t be able to comment on the unmade beds, ritz cracker boxes, dollar store wine bottle decor or garment bags posing as an ill-fitting slip cover.

The real question I suppose is why I am still surprised at viewing the filth and disorder that defines litigants homes.

TPC seems to show a week of new, and then reruns.   I bet they're stockpiling new shows for November TV ratings Sweeps Month (where the ratings people record the viewing of everything).   

Sweeps month results in the juiciest, most graphic cases, so I'm hopeful that November will have more interesting cases.   Sweeps months are November, February, and May,   

"Tenant Tussle" case 1, former room renter, and former landlords had a lot of issues, including a security camera.   Landlord wife says the camera was big and you couldn't miss noticing it, and the landlords claim to have lots of footage, but don't show any (or I wasn't paying attention again).    Tenant claims they drove him out, Judge Marilyn says it was a mutual parting of the ways, and tenant gets his security deposit back. 

Case 2 Defendant's shirt looks a hospital gown inspired the print.   Plaintff says defendant's house was raided by 30 cars of FBI, or DEA or something, and plaintiff wants defendant's footage of the raid (I would love to see the video of that too).    Defendant says his parents had the property before he did, and they've lived since the 70's.    The defendant's house has a road leading to it, it's an easement through plaintiff's property, and defendant is upset the plaintiff built his house, and cleared brush along the roadway.   In 2010 plaintiff bought an adjoining lot, and built the house, and it's now a flag lot (the closed captioning said 'flat lot').    One day the gas company was blocking the driveway, so defendant stole the recording security camera.    Plaintiff also says defendant flies drones recording everything on plaintiff's property.   Defendant says he rented the house out, and there were drug dealers renting it, and claims his ex-sister-in-law Swatted him.   Oh, Goody!  The Riverside PD showed up with SWAT and they came to arrest the defendant's husband's brother in law missed a court date.  (No, it was that someone missed a minor court date).    

There is a photo of defendant on the security camera.   The county planning people say there are no issues with plaintiff's property lines, or anything else.   Defendant claims he's filing a lawsuit over the property and access road/easement.     There is video of defendant damaging plaintiff's property, including a gas lamp that is on plaintiff's property, but defendant claims it.  Defendant is stealing the security camera, and stealing plaintiff's property, including breaking wall caps (cement type).  

Defendant is going to lose, and he should.    Plaintiff wins the harassment, and damages.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

The real question I suppose is why I am still surprised at viewing the filth and disorder that defines litigants homes.

Even if I lived in filth and disorder, I would at least try to clean up the parts that are going to be visible on national TV.

5 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I’d want the background to be as pristine as it could be so that the judge would think I’m an orderly, decent person and people like me wouldn’t be able to comment on the unmade beds, ritz cracker boxes, dollar store wine bottle decor or garment bags posing as an ill-fitting slip cover.

And a kitchen so badly hoarded it induces "claustrophobic" and opening a window would make the house collapse, or enormous faces filling the sceen so we can't see walls covered in roaches. I admit I seldom notice the surroundings unless they're shocking.

• Love 4

I have a real problem with people like the plaintiffs in the room rental case. This married couple of middle years goes to to CL to find someone - anyone - to move into a bedroom in their home which appears to be quite small.

They choose the Def, a total stranger about whom know nothing, to come live with them and their 12-year-old daughter! Gee, I can't see the problem? Turns out P - ("I'll be honest witchoo"x4) never showers, reeks of B.O., uses their paper towels to first blow his nose and then wipe the counter, jogs in their kitchen, uses their condiments and says bad words that the little wife and daughter hear. I'm sure neither of them have ever heard "F-bombs" before. They have cameras in their "common areas" and we see on video def standing there jogging in place and blowing immensely long, loud raspberries at the cat. He claims he never knew the camera was there.

The D's biggest gripe is that  no one - not family or friends or anyone - is allowed wearing shoes in their house and the P did. They just got all their floors redone and the wife keeps them immaculate, hubby explains. So they could afford that cosmetic fix, something is that is quite expensive, but not afford to pay their own bills or mortgage without bringing an anonymous lunatic into their home? Maybe that's how they're planning to pay for their renovations? All parties agree Mr. O'Dowd, P, needs to GTFO but they don't return his 1K security deposit. WTF? You bring a middleaged man who is a stranger into your home and then complain that you don't like his habits? They have to return the money. Idiots, all around.

In the hall, stupid hubby - the grown man with a young daughter - utters these profound words: "Be aware of who you invite into your home." Ya think? Just lucky the P wasn't a sex offender or the outcome could have been worse than some scuffed floors or snot on the counters. P gets in one final "I'll be honest witchoo" to Doug. Another case where the video supplied by dumb lititgants (these D's) hurts their case.

JM and JJ discuss how litigants cannot sue judges for the verdicts they render, no matter how wrong or absurd. JJ does say that judges can't order their bailiffs to go beat someone up in the parking lot, however. What a pity.

Then we had P suing Jabba the Nut for harassment. Seems Jabba's daddy has lived in this house forever, which gives Jabba the right to use the easement as his own personal property to strew with junk, wagon wheels, lamposts, etc. We have videos of him lumbering around P's property, smashing a security camera and vandalizing his property. I think Jabba has a few screws missing. We also get a video of 30 FBI agents driving up in their amoured vehicles to Jabba's lair. A domestic dispute, he claims, by his sister's huband's brother, or his husband's brother's sister or whatever. He was physically unable to STFU so we never find out the real story. Anyway, 350$ to P for the property the slug destroyed. Jm advises P to keep the cameras running and call the police every time he sees the nutty blob on his property.

Edited by AngelaHunter
Can't spell
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

the landlords claim to have lots of footage, but don't show any (or I wasn't paying attention again)

They showed two or three clips. One of them was the tenant in the kitchen (common area) jumping up and down (shoes on apparently), mugging and making faces at the camera, and bizarrely putting his lips together and making loud splatting noises while spraying spittle in every direction. One of the other videos sunk the landlords' case when the three people discuss him leaving and as JM pointed out, it was clearly a mutual decision. The decision was correct and the landlords should be glad that this guy was out of their lives. The guy was really creepy, with strange overdone gestures and facial expressions constantly grimacing into the camera, and seem to be mad at the entire world.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

The guy was really creepy, with strange overdone gestures and facial expressions constantly grimacing into the camera, and seem to be mad at the entire world.

Creepy and gross with a nasty dental situation, and the Defs wanted him to live in their house with them and their little girl. You need money that badly, get a second job, skip the floor refinishing or whatever - anything but inviting weirdos to occupy your extra bedroom!

I recently read a story about a young woman who advertised on CL for a roomie. A man in his 40's answered the ad and she said, "Sure! Move in." Sadly, he was just out of prison for assault and he murdered her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I have a real problem with people like the plaintiffs in the room rental case. This married couple of middle years goes to to CL to find someone - anyone - to move into a bedroom in their home which appears to be quite small.

They choose the Def, a total stranger about whom know nothing, to come live with them and their 12-year-old daughter! Gee, I can't see the problem? Turns out P - ("I'll be honest witchoo"x4) never showers, reeks of B.O., uses their paper towels to first blow his nose and then wipe the counter, jogs in their kitchen, uses their condiments and says bad words that the little wife and daughter hear. I'm sure neither of them have ever heard "F-bombs" before. They have cameras in their "common areas" and we see on video def standing there jogging in place and blowing immensely long, loud raspberries at the cat. He claims he never knew the camera was there.

The D's biggest gripe is that  no one - not family or friends or anyone - is allowed wearing shoes in their house and the P did. They just got all their floors redone and the wife keeps them immaculate, hubby explains. So they could afford that cosmetic fix, something is that is quite expensive, but not afford to pay their own bills or mortgage without bringing an anonymous lunatic into their home? Maybe that's how they're planning to pay for their renovations? All parties agree Mr. O'Dowd, P, needs to GTFO but they don't return his 1K security deposit. WTF? You bring a middleaged man who is a stranger into your home and then complain that you don't like his habits? They have to return the money. Idiots, all around.

In the hall, stupid hubby - the grown man with a young daughter - utters these profound words: "Be aware of who you invite into your home." Ya think? Just lucky the P wasn't a sex offender or the outcome could have been worse than some scuffed floors or snot on the counters. P gets in one final "I'll be honest witchoo" to Doug. Another case where the video supplied by dumb lititgants (these D's) hurts their case.

JM and JJ discuss how litigants cannot sue judges for the verdicts they render, no matter how wrong or absurd. JJ does say that judges can't order their bailiffs to go beat someone up in the parking lot, however. What a pity.

Then we had P suing Jabba the Nut for harassment. Seems Jabba's daddy has lived in this house forever, which gives Jabba the right to use the easement as his own personal property to strew with junk, wagon wheels, lamposts, etc. We have videos of him lumbering around P's property, smashing a security camera and vandalizing his property. I think Jabba has a few screws missing. We also get a video of 30 FBI agents driving up in their amoured vehicles to Jabba's lair. A domestic dispute, he claims, by his sister's huband's brother, or his husband's brother's sister or whatever. He was physically unable to STFU so we never find out the real story. Anyway, 350$ to P for the property the slug destroyed. Jm advises P to keep the cameras running and call the police every time he sees the nutty blob on his property.

Two comments from AngelaHunters recap.

1. I’ll be honest witchoo, I am speechless about posting in CL for someone to occupy a room in your house.  Just no.  So much could go wrong.  I do understand that people are squeezed right now for finances but there’s no way I’d invite a stranger in my home with my 12 year old daughter living there.  

AngelaHunter, a few weeks back (maybe months) you commented that you’d never want a stranger walking around and sleeping in your home (not knowing his background) when some wackadoodle litigant invited a man to share the expenses of her trailer.  IIRC, they even shared the same bathroom.  Hell, sharing a bathroom with a spouse can sometimes be difficult I’ll be damned if I am going to use the same washbasin as my tenant.  Crazies are everywhere and more than likely they’re looking for someone to offer them a room on CL.  

2. Clean the outside of your house.  In my in-laws old neighborhood there was a really nice guy whose hobby was bowling and was on every league in the area.  What did he do with his old bowling balls?  He lined his walkway, his driveway and flower beds with his old bowling balls.  What an eyesore!!  It made the local news!

So with this post - I am officially a cranky old lady.  And I’ll be honest witchoo - if I wasn’t slogging down Zinfandel right now, the post would be even crankier!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

I do understand that people are squeezed right now for finances but there’s no way I’d invite a stranger in my home with my 12 year old daughter living there.  

Just to clarify my story of roommate murder, I found the article so it doesn't sound like I was repeating some urban legend:

Police said 41-year-old Richard Isaac from Brampton was arrested on the evening of Saturday, June 16 at 8 p.m., and charged with second-degree murder in the death of Victoria Selby-Readman >>>Det. Paul Worden told Global News Selby-Readman met Isaac after posting an advertisement for a roommate on social media>>>>Global News has learned Isaac has eight prior convictions.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4279268/man-arrested-richmond-street-homicide

Our dingbat litigants affronted by B.O. really need to wake up and realize how lucky they were. When I lived alone I was rather poor but the thought of inviting a strange man to live with me never entered my head. You can survive not getting freshly redone floors, but not being murdered.

• Useful 4

"Raccoon Racket" (we're back to new episodes this week).   

Case 1-Plaintiff rented house from defendants, and it turned out there was a family of a mama raccoon, and her babies in the attic.   Plaintiff wants half of her rent back.   However, defendants claim plaintiff interfered with raccoon trapping.   Plaintiff claims critter remover was useless, didn't go into the attic for months.    Plaintiff complained the end of January, and critter getter didn't go into the attic until March.   In April plaintiff hired her own trapper, for $50 she trapped the baby raccoons, removed the nest, and set a trap for the mother raccoon.    Then property manager said to remove the trap.   

There's a picture of plaintiff holding the two baby raccoons (stupid move).  Another wrinkle is the trapper hired by defendants is a huge guy, and didn't fit in the attic space.   Seeing Judge Marilyn talk about raccoons in the attic, complete with sound effects is hysterical.  Defendant claims trapper they hired said plaintiff was interfering with his trapping routine, and I agree with plaintiff, first trapper was not up to the job.   The first trapper sealed the access from the outside off, but didn't remove the nest or the babies.      Plaintiff wanted to extend the lease, even though she claims the rental house was unlivable.    Plaintiff found another rental. Plaintiff gets $650, not the $3300 she wanted.  

Case 2-Plaintiff gave defendant a deposit on kitchen cabinets, but defendant won't give back his $600 (total price was $1200 for the cabinets).   Defendant claims her husband, and plaintiff argued, and plaintiff said he no longer wanted the cabinets.  Argument was so heated the police were called to get plaintiff to leave.  Boring case.  $600 to plaintiff.   

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Case 1-Plaintiff rented house from defendants, and it turned out there was a family of a mama raccoon, and her babies in the attic. 

Bunch of annoying people. The trapper is 6'4" and 280lbs so who could expect him to heave his bulk up into the attic to do the job for which he was being paid? It was only 10 weeks or so that he was 'working on it'. Give him time! I was a complete amateur at trapping, but managed to catch a feral mother cat, her 4 tiny babies and her grown-up baby within days, and that was outside, not in an enclosed space.

20 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's a picture of plaintiff holding the two baby raccoons (stupid move). 

Seriously. In the spring I went into my shed to get something and saw a baby raccoon on top of a lawn chair in there. I did not try to cuddle it, but backed out very slowly and closed the door. In this case I just hope mother and babies were reunited.

23 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Plaintiff found another rental. Plaintiff gets $650, not the $3300 she wanted.  

In he hall she whines that the judge was very rude, and she feels disrespected. I guess she'll just have to live with that. Should a minister be trying to make a big score like this? Maybe, since she depended on the kindness of strangers to give her a place to live.

30 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Boring case.  $600 to plaintiff. 

Another successful FB transaction. No idea what the real story was since it was near-impossible to get a straight answer from anyone, but if your main argument might not be enough, bring racism into it. Yeah - boring

• Love 5

We watch shows like "North Woods Law" about park rangers.  None of them have EVER (at least on camera) gotten near a raccoon of any age without big leather gloves.  They ALWAYS mention the concern about catching rabies from raccoons.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We watch shows like "North Woods Law" about park rangers.  None of them have EVER (at least on camera) gotten near a raccoon of any age without big leather gloves.  They ALWAYS mention the concern about catching rabies from raccoons.

Adult raccoons are formidable. I make sure not to go on my back property after dark. The babies the minister was holding were very young so probably not a threat but I still wouldn't hold them - or any wild animal with claws and sharp teeth -  up to my face. It's just common sense, something lacking in so many litigants.

• Love 5

From shows like North Woods Law I have learned that handling baby wild animals is bad, once they have human smell on them, the mother will often not take the babies back. The plaintiff grated on my nerves, she was overly dramatic and came across as entitled especially as she went for the BONANZA!  amount after trying to extend her lease in the "unliveable" place.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, rcc said:

heard JM yelling.

Which time?😄

She got very excited, yelling about raccoons skittering around overhead in her own house.

4 hours ago, DoctorK said:

once they have human smell on them, the mother will often not take the babies back.

Unlike many of the human parental units we see here, animals don't abandon their babies that easily. They'll take them back.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Which time?😄

She got very excited, yelling about raccoons skittering around overhead in her own house.

Unlike many of the human parental units we see here, animals don't abandon their babies that easily. They'll take them back.

Thanks sorry I missed seeing that story. Raccoons skittering around overhead in her own house. Lol

• LOL 2

Look up righteous indignation in the dictionary and you’ll see the plaintiff from the case of the RaucousRacoons.

For a minister I think she was pretty haughty and not one that I’d enjoy having officiate at my wedding.  The way she came across I have no doubt that if the bride or groom had a request or suggestion for the ceremony -  she’d put the stops to it if she didn’t approve.

She honestly thought JM would understand her situation and agree that it was unbearable thus awarding her a basket of cash.  

Moron.

3 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

For a minister I think she was pretty haughty and not one that I’d enjoy having officiate at my wedding

That's what I thought. Pretty vindictive and money-grubbing too. I understand her frustration as it wouldn't be pleasant to live with the raccoons but that doesn't mean she gets to squat for free and expect the cash register to ring. Shouldn't she have turned the other cheek or something?

the case of the RaucousRacoons

Is that what Levin called it?😄

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm afraid remnants of Levin are still in your head, despite the exorcism. 😱

So if this current mental health gig doesn’t work out - I’m guessing I can send my resume to Harvey as his assistant.

Please.  Drag out the prayer cards, candles and novenas to make sure my job is safe for the next eight years.  

"Ripping off a Customer"  Case 1-Plaintiff sold used appliances to defendant, defendant said two out of the four didn't work, so he's not paying.  This is all over $200.   Plaintiff bought a condo, contractor wanted the appliances out, so he sold them to defendant.   

Plaintiff wins $200.  

Case 2-Plaintiff puts $1,000 downpayment for one car, while defendant mechanic claims he'll  keep her other car running.  Plaintiff says it's $4,000 plus the car, with $1,000 down, and $3,000 remaining, for the car.   But plaintiff says she never received the car she put the down payment on.  When the car was finished, it had a cracked windshield, but defendant wanted to be paid for the windshield repair.

$1,000 to plaintiff. 

Case 3-Plaintiff suing for her dog, a dachshund/poodle mix,  that was attacked by defendant's dog a Pit Bull.    Plaintiff is suing for $5,000 for vet bills and personal injury bills.    Plaintiff's dog was leashed, and defendant is lying about how sweet and harmless his dog is, and claims plaintiff dog attacked his dog.     This is an awful case, when plaintiff's dog was attacked the owner was screaming for help, and two men ran up and started beating defendant's dog with a metal pipe to get it to let go.  What a surprise, defendant's dog is a Pit.   Plaintiff took dog to an emergency vet, they put drains in the next wounds.     Poor plaintiff dog is chewed to pieces.  

Defendant claims his neighbor lets his dog out of the yard, as a joke.  Defendant, who wasn't at the attack site, claims the tiny plaintiff dog was the aggressor, and nipped at his dog's legs.    Defendant refused to pay the vet bill.   Animal control fined the defendant $750. 

Plaintiff shows her adorable dog on camera, and says he's doing well.    I will not mention what part of his anatomy had to be repaired after the attack, but there were extreme closeups of the injury.  

$1979 for vet bills, and $500 for pain and suffering, so $2479 to plaintiff. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Case 2-Plaintiff puts $1,000 downpayment for one car

So tedious are these battles over ancient veehickles and alley mechanics who keep no records (Taxes? What taxes?) but at least P had a receipt to prove what she paid and what the balance was on this 16-year-old Kia for which she waited for over 4 months. All well and good, but she's "not buying a car with no cracked windshield"  and refuses to have the cost of that tacked on to the price of the Kia at the end. I'm sure there are easier ways to buy old cars.

To prove his sincerity, Def offers the information that he knows P has kids! He would never cheat someone who has KIDS!

• LOL 5

- I’m guessing I can send my resume to Harvey as his assistant.

I forgot something terribly important: Before you have your interview, do your homework and make sure your sippy cup isn't bigger than Levin's sippy cup. And wear flats. SIze does matter.

LevinsippyK.gif

• LOL 4

My goodness the used appliance store guy was such a piece of work.  Yelling and talking in circles while changing the story several times in the process.  My eyes rolled back in my head.  After his first attempt at explaining I would have said:  ruling for the plaintiff.  There was no way defendant could have won that case.

I have no words on the stupid car case or for the dopey ass defendant in the dog bite case.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm sure there are easier ways to buy old cars.

Okay, my recent (somehwat long winded) experience. My beloved 2003 Tracker died from unrepairable frame rust and got donated to a veterans organization. Based on these court shows I did not consider Craigs list or facebook sellers, only local (small town) brick and mortar sellers, I hit local dealers and independent sellers. The last place I hit was highly recomended by three friends who bought from them. They came in $1600 lower than the lowest other acceptable cars with a better shape car and would take a credit card for the total price (I had to hit my 401k which takes a week or so to get the money while I was paying close to $400 a week for a rental. The dealer also printed out the CarFax report which was not great but not bad. I took it on about an hour test drive, I took it up to 55 mph and did some hard cornering and braking and found a traffic backup where I sat in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot sunny day watching the engine temperature. I saw a couple of minor issues that they fixed on the spot. I did put a lot of faith in my friends recommendations, and took a chance on as-is sale.So far everything is fine and it is a relief to not drive a car where the front end suspension may collapse at any minute.  I will take it to a good garage and have it checked soon but I figure I have $1600 to play with for anything it needs. As always YMMV.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Okay, my recent (somehwat long winded) experience.

My first car was a 7-year-old Chevy Malibu. I bought it at a dealer, got the contract with terms, etc on it and the next day my boyfriend noticed the brakes went right to the floor. I took it back and dealer sent me to his garage to have them fixed. That thing was a tank that survived the neglect and beating I gave it and lasted another 5 years.

Like you, I didn't go to some alley mechanic or meet a CL's guy in the Walmart parking lot and give him money (cash with no receipt of course) after he promised me he'd get the title maybe next week from his cousin's ex-wife who hated his guts.

This is why we don't end up making fools of ourselves on The People's Court (knock on wood), with our cries of "I trusted him!" echoing in the Hall as Doug tells us we're losers and he hopes we learned something.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

This is why we don't end up making fools of ourselves on The People's Court (knock on wood), with our cries of "I trusted him!" echoing in the Hall as Doug tells us we're losers and he hopes we learned something.

I find it amusing that Doug says specifically you’re a loser as opposed to you lost the case.  I think he’s had his fill of these cretins as much as we have.  

I’m toying with the idea of a staged case.  Two (or more) of us from this board could go on the show, and really, really do it right.  Wigs, nails, unmade bed, ritz cracker boxes, dogs barking in the background and a wonky camera that makes our faces look uber-bloated.  And sheets on the windows…we can’t forget a sheet nailed to the window (crookedly).

I’m still thinking about the crux of the case…car accident?  Deadbeat friend?  CL tenant? Or, the ever popular, ever famous hoopty title shenanigans.  

It would be epic.  And don’t forget we get to split the money.  Win/Win.  

Oh, and AngelaHunter my first car was a Chevy Malibu Classic.  Navy blue.  Loved that car.  

13 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Okay, my recent (somehwat long winded) experience. 

But if everyone did things like that, People's Court would be cancelled within a month.  LOL.

15 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

I’m toying with the idea of a staged case.  Two (or more) of us from this board could go on the show, and really, really do it right.  Wigs, nails, unmade bed, ritz cracker boxes, dogs barking in the background and a wonky camera that makes our faces look uber-bloated.  And sheets on the windows…we can’t forget a sheet nailed to the window (crookedly).

I’m still thinking about the crux of the case…car accident?  Deadbeat friend?  CL tenant? Or, the ever popular, ever famous hoopty title shenanigans.  

It would be epic.  And don’t forget we get to split the money.  Win/Win.  

Easiest to make up (because no actual proof is required) are the cases where a friend spilled beer on your 6-year-old laptop two years ago and you're just now getting around to suing them for the cost of replacing it with a brand new Apple big-screen laptop.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I'm in! I'm thinking CL's housemate is best for wild 'n wooly cases. Let's see... you came home and I was massaging a naked man in the living room? Someone goes tippy-toeing around stark naked and smashes the security camera? Is seen licking the ice cream and putting the carton back? I catch you snooping in the drawer where I keep my life savings? I stole your frickin' checks? You bring every "Tom, Dick, and Harry" home every night to make whoopees and bust up my headboard? Got drunk and spilled your E&J on the sofa my dearly departed Grammy gave me? The possibilities are endless.

my first car was a Chevy Malibu Classic.  Navy blue.  Loved that car.  

Mine was dark green. I loved mine too, even though I was a just a helpless girl who didn't know how to take care of it. I should have sued the dealer for not instructing me better. He knew my situation!

• LOL 4

"Angry Exes" Case 1 Desperate plaintiff bought furniture, paid for hotels, etc. for loser defendant and his friends, and now wants everything back.    She claims his roommate walked out and took everything, so she paid for furniture.   Sounds like the rent to own place repo'd everything, and he lied to her.      Plaintiff doesn't get her almost $5k, because no expectation of repayment.   Doug brings the heat.

Case 2 Neighbor's tree fell on her camper (a 1985 year old pop up camper, she owned for 15 years), but camper was either on an easement, or a road.    Defendant says tree wasn't diseased, so an Act of G-d.   Camper was not insured.   Plaintiff loses.   The arborist plaintiff hired is not longer licensed and certified, but he told her that a healthy tree will have ivy growing on it!  No, the trees I've seen with ivy, mistletoe, etc growing on them are dying or dead.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Angry Exes" Case 1 Desperate plaintiff bought furniture, paid for hotels, etc. for loser defendant and his friends, and now wants everything back.

Have we yet seen the ultimate in super-dumb, desperate women? I keep thinking we have but then we get this.

The "like, like, like" P had to buy for the man of her dreams - the horse-faced Momma's boy - a whole houseful of furniture in a place she didn't even live, so he could play Big Shot for his little friends who were coming to town. Bad news - the friends don't want to stay at his crib. Maybe they dislike Ikea stuff? Who knows. They want to stay at a hotel, so P "had to" pay all the hotel bills, food, booze, etc. for everyone. What choice did she have? By the way, she does all this after knowing D for 3 or 4 months.

She's a bartender so I'm assuming she put all these extravagances for LoverBoy on her CC and says her credit is now in the toilet. Waaah waah!

Boyfriend has no bank account even though he said he's the manager of some restoration place, so how could he pay her back? He couldn't use CashApp either. Besides, his mommy and his boss gave her a bunch of money totalling nearly 4K. She wants another 4K+ even though she can't prove it's still owed. Geeze, I wish I had a Mommy and a boss who foot my bills for nonsense and showing off. He also says he paid for restaurants and food for the two of them, etc. Whatever. He says she was very aggressive but the aggression only troubled him after he got all this shit paid for by her. What a fool she is. She gets zip, and had to get reamed out by JM for her dumbness, and again by Doug-in-the-Hall. I doubt she learned a thing.

Tree falling on P's uninsured, 36-year old camper: The tree looked black, leafless and dead to me although smart-ass Def, who had a cutesy little rehearsed speech, shows pics and tells JM to "Look at the green roots!" She and I saw none, just thick moss and brown, dried-up looking parts.

P says she had an aborist look at the dead tree and he informed her that if it were alive it would be covered in ivy?? What? I see why he lost his certification. That's just nutty. I have about 50+ living trees and not one is festooned with ivy or even with moss, something that grows on dead bark. She gets zip too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

(a 15 year old pop up camper),

I may be wrong but I think she bought it 15 years ago but it was a 1985 model. I may have misheard this. Actually she was smart to not spend more money for a real arborist than she was likely to recover. To me both litigants accepted the verdict and will let it go.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

my first car was a Chevy Malibu Classic.

My first car was a 1963 mercury comet with a tiny engine and a two speed automatic transition. Going up a steep hill it could manage about 20 MPH while its pollution control system (a half inch pipe from the crankcase pointed down) blew out oil and smoke. I loved it.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I may be wrong but I think she bought it 15 years ago but it was a 1985 model. I may have misheard this.

You are correct. It was 36 years old but she owned it for only 15.

2 hours ago, DoctorK said:

My first car was a 1963 mercury comet

I had a boyfriend who had a red Comet. I swear it was in the shop more often than it was on the road. Sure was pretty though!

• Love 1

Okay, who watched the Aweful Battle of the NitWits?

Mr. Phillip, passive-aggressive dweeb, is suing his downstairs neighbour, Jude, complete nutball, for doing drugs, destroying property, yelling and screaming and damaging his car by throwing rocks and mud on the hood and kicking the shit out of the door. There is video of the kicking. Jude claims he can't see it.

Sounds simple but it's not. First of all, Jude is sitting there snacking and chewing and starts interjecting immediately while JM is talking to Philip: "Don't lie!" and "Kinky!" he shouts. JM has to threaten to turn him off to make him STFU. Jude calls Philip a "Creepy little pervert" because of the security cameras.

Jude has special rights here even though he finally got evicted for his insane behavior. Oh, but no! The landlord conspired with Philip to harass him (Jude's supposition) to make him leave the building and then finally evicted him because the landlord is jealous of Jude's great standing and prominence in the San Francisco music scene.

I'm sure he's right. The landlord, who owns extremely pricey SF real estate must be sick with jealousy of Jude, a man who appears to be near 60, lives with his mommy and daddy in a rental unit until they couldn't stand him anymore and then he moved to the basement, which sounds like it's not suitable as a dwelling. Jude now lives in an "SRO" which at first I thought was "Standing Room Only" but turns out to be "Single room occupancy."

Then twerpy Phillip starts telling JM that Jude just bought a car (jude claimed Phil was blocking him in) and couldn't own one because of all his DUIs and suspended license. JM asks him to provide proof and he tells her to just look it up online. Anyway, during the rocks/mud attack when Jude started hurling stuff at Philip's door, Philip went out and maced Jude in the face. "It really hurt!" Jude exclaims and tells JM that if she's never been maced she can't know how much it hurts. JM doesn't admit to ever being maced in the face.

Philip wants his car fixed. He says it's 17 years old, then changes it to maybe 13. Or 14? The paint is all worn off the hood down to the metal, probably from a previous cheap paint job and he can't explain how the rocks and mud did that and we see no mud on the hood. He gives JM a 3-page estimate from a body shop, but gives her only page 1 and 3, thinking she's too dumb to ask for page 2. She does, and no way is Jude paying 4K to get this old clunker completely refurbished. She awards him 900$ for the dents Jude made on his kicking spree, which I think is generous.

Then we had Ms. Toto, suing the def for custom-made drapery because the backing is not snow-white to match the chair seat covers and when the sun shines through the backing, which is ivory, it looks yellow to her. It also looked yellow to her husband, her son and all her other relatives. I'm trying to picture my husband walking in and saying, "Gee, the backing on those drapes is not pure white!" Of course I'm someone who never saved up for years for custom-made drapes and bought curtains at Giant Tiger for 10$/panel so what do I know? This case drags on, with Toto taking the camera into the room with the drapes to display them against the chair covers of the same fabric and JM concludes they match and Def did nothing wrong. Boring.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

The paint is all worn off the hood down to the metal, probably from a previous cheap paint job

Actually, this is fairly common where I live, the combination of harsh sun, salt spray, and wind driven sand is hard on paint. A lot of older cars (including some of mine) have had the clear coat and paint worn off on horizontal surfaces, exposing the gray primer (not bare metal that would be rusted red) which seems impervious to sun and salt. If you catch the problem early when the clear coat is just turning milky white and rough, this can be fixed, otherwise you can wait until there is a lot of gray primer showing and pay a bundle for a professional refinish and paint job but most of us don't bother if it is a 12 or 20 year old hooptie. Where I live is sometimes called the Redneck Riviera, can't imagine why.

• LOL 3
44 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, who watched the Aweful Battle of the NitWits?

Me.  Definitely me.

Mr. Phillip, passive-aggressive dweeb, is suing his downstairs neighbour, Jude, complete nutball, for doing drugs, destroying property, yelling and screaming and damaging his car by throwing rocks and mud on the hood and kicking the shit out of the door. There is video of the kicking. Jude claims he can't see it.

Jude looked a bit disheveled.  I’m not sure if it was because he just woke up, didn’t go to bed, didn’t take a shower, partakes of experimental medicine or is just plain nutzoid.

Sounds simple but it's not. First of all, Jude is sitting there snacking and chewing and starts interjecting immediately while JM is talking to Philip: "Don't lie!" and "Kinky!" he shouts. JM has to threaten to turn him off to make him STFU. Jude calls Philip a "Creepy little pervert" because of the security cameras.

Jude has special rights here even though he finally got evicted for his insane behavior. Oh, but no! The landlord conspired with Philip to harass him (Jude's supposition) to make him leave the building and then finally evicted him because the landlord is jealous of Jude's great standing and prominence in the San Francisco music scene.

I did like how JM was quizzing him on his great standing in the SF jazz community.  Poor Jude couldn’t come up with a coherent answer…just take his word for it…he’s big.  Really big.

I'm sure he's right. The landlord, who owns extremely pricey SF real estate must be sick with jealousy of Jude, a man who appears to be near 60, lives with his mommy and daddy in a rental unit until they couldn't stand him anymore and then he moved to the basement, which sounds like it's not suitable as a dwelling. Jude now lives in an "SRO" which at first I thought was "Standing Room Only" but turns out to be "Single room occupancy."

What in fresh hell was hanging off his headboard?  He probably doesn’t have a closet in his basement dwelling so the headboard not only holds up the mattress - it also holds up his clothes from the floor.  Genius.  No wonder the landlord is so envious of this go getter. 

Then twerpy Phillip starts telling JM that Jude just bought a car (jude claimed Phil was blocking him in) and couldn't own one because of all his DUIs and suspended license. JM asks him to provide proof and he tells her to just look it up online. Anyway, during the rocks/mud attack when Jude started hurling stuff at Philip's door, Philip went out and maced Jude in the face. "It really hurt!" Jude exclaims and tells JM that if she's never been maced she can't know how much it hurts. JM doesn't admit to ever being maced in the face.

Fess up people…how many here have been maced in the face?  It hasn’t happened to me but a coworker was maced by a highly agitated client.  My participation in that experience was driving her to Brigham and Women’s.  Apparently it does hurt.  

Philip wants his car fixed. He says it's 17 years old, then changes it to maybe 13. Or 14? The paint is all worn off the hood down to the metal, probably from a previous cheap paint job and he can't explain how the rocks and mud did that and we see no mud on the hood. He gives JM a 3-page estimate from a body shop, but gives her only page 1 and 3, thinking she's too dumb to ask for page 2. She does, and no way is Jude paying 4K to get this old clunker completely refurbished. She awards him 900$ for the dents Jude made on his kicking spree, which I think is generous.

That car was a heap of junk.  You could see the metal on the hood.  Not that I’m sticking up for poor Jude but I think “Mr. Philip” was an agitator.  Someone who can’t let things slide but is the first to bitch about someone’s reaction to his shenanigans.  

And did you catch that Mr. Philip doesn’t pay as much rent as poor Jude.  Poor Jude

Then we had Ms. Toto, suing the def for custom-made drapery because the backing is not snow-white to match the chair seat covers and when the sun shines through the backing, which is ivory, it looks yellow to her. It also looked yellow to her husband, her son and all her other relatives. I'm trying to picture my husband walking in and saying, "Gee, the backing on those drapes is not pure white!" Of course I'm someone who never saved up for years for custom-made drapes and bought curtains at Giant Tiger for 10$/panel so what do I know? This case drags on, with Toto taking the camera into the room with the drapes to display them against the chair covers of the same fabric and JM concludes they match and Def did nothing wrong. Boring.

Okay, now here’s a story.  For our 10th anniversary my mother-in-law wanted to buy us custom curtains for our family room.  Why?  Dunno!  I was completely satisfied with my Country Curtains panels that were affordable, neutral and served their purpose.

After much disturbance in our lives (do you have any idea how many appointments are needed to measure, choose fabric, design, re-choose fabric because no matter what you pick it’s discontinued so you need to choose again) the preliminary work was complete and we were guaranteed that our lives would change with the beauty of the curtains. Honest to Pete - that’s what the designer said.

After a few months of this circus the curtains arrived and two of the panels had different backing than the main window in the room.  When the sun came through the window you could actually see that it was a yellow backing that changed the tone of the khaki stripes.  

At this point I didn’t care but my mil did.  So I told her she was more than welcome to handle it.  She did and a month after that the backing matched the backings of the other window.  The excuse had something to do with dye lots.  Not sure because I didn’t care.  Still don’t but they’re still hanging around.  On hooks.  No nails for this gal.

And I’ll end on this note - for Mr. Philip being so haughty to poor Jude his window coverings were hanging off the window.  I should let him know I know a lady……

Edited by PsychoKlown