Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E37: Results Show

• Start Topic

Caught most of the episode last night. Too busy being caught up in the NFL draft. Jessica's fate was written way back in the early stages of the competition. She was never going to win. I just hope that her contract with AI doesn't prevent her taking advantage of any opportunities that may come about from her exposure on the show.

Well unless Alex makes it to the final, next week will be my final show for this year (and maybe forever). I have no interest in either Caleb or JENA@#$%, and would be bored to tears to watch them in the final. 

You are not alone. I'm almost hoping that Alex is eliminated at top three so that I can stop watching this season. It's downright painful watching Jena/Caleb being fake humble. I'd prefer real smugness to fake humble (if that makes sense). I quit watching after top three during seasons six and ten and I actually liked Scotty. I don't see Alex making it to the finale anyway.

How about when Jessica goes "I love you guys" and Caleb pauses for a second and then goes "I love you too" like he forgot he was supposed to say it or something. 

The pause is probably where it was edited out when he had to ask for his next line. 

I don't get why the judges aren't pusbing Alex more. He's extremely talented because he can not only sing but he can writer too. He really is someone who just has music pouring out of him.

Two reasons: 1) He's not cute (I know mileage varies) and 2) He's not running away with the votes. 

It was hilarious to watch Randy rehashing the judges' comments but pretending he had to think it over first.  He might have gotten away with it if the show hadn't had clips of the judges making the exact same observations just prior to Randy's "thoughtful" commentary about how the night went for each contestant.

That little twit, Jehna, seems to be the only one who talks with her stupid mouth full at that ridiculous dinner. Wow, I used not to enjoy her singing, but now I can't stand to look at her face.  Why was Jehna driving Caleb in that Ford? Has he ever driven on one of these commercials? I get it why they grouped them two and two so the two guitar players could go to the guitar store. Just wondering.

Randy re Jehna's ICHFILWY: "It was one of the greatest performances in Idol history." Really, Randy? BLARG. I'm not sure how much more of this BS I can stomach.

• Love 2

Randy re Jehna's ICHFILWY: "It was one of the greatest performances in Idol history." Really, Randy? BLARG. I'm not sure how much more of this BS I can stomach.

Randy must have something on Simon Fuller because it's probably the only reason why he's still on the show. Is he serious? Is he kidding? Where has he been since 2002? I mean, this is so inane that it's not worth commenting on.

For this reason alone I just watched my last my last show this season. I may not watch next season if Randy and J. Load are there. I am tired of the ex-Mrs. Marc Anthony glomming onto one female singer (Lauren Alaina, Jessica Sanchez, JEEEENA) and going after any other female singer who has a chance to win (Haley Reinhart, Hollie Cavanaugh, Slapout). Her bias is disgusting and demeaning.

• Love 3

When they were talking about the home town celebration, did Caleb say, "it's so humbling?" - or something to that effect.  Is that a weird way to use the word? Really? Having a parade thrown for you by a whole town is humbling? I thought "humbling" was when something happened that wasn't great and made you rethink things, as in, for example, "I was in the bottom 2 last week. It was humbling." Maybe I need a dictionary.

(edited)

When they were talking about the home town celebration, did Caleb say, "it's so humbling?" - or something to that effect. Is that a weird way to use the word? Really? Having a parade thrown for you by a whole town is humbling? I thought "humbling" was when something happened that wasn't great and made you rethink things, as in, for example, "I was in the bottom 2 last week. It was humbling." Maybe I need a dictionary.

Alex says something about whoever goes home they should all be proud of making it this far and Caleb says, "it's been a wild, humbling experience." So, no, not a weird usage.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=FWf8Dla5Id8

Edited by Joystickenvy
(edited)

Perhaps that dingleberry Caleb meant, regarding the home town parade/celebration, that he'd feel as if he didn't deserve such adulation, isn't worthy of such attention. 

And here is a definition I found of "humbled":  having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience.. [source: dictionary.com]

So...he's sort of using it right, which kills me to admit. However, if that's what he's trying to say - "Aw shucks, I don't deserve this!" - I don't believe him for a second! He seems to have bought into his own hype, and I would not be surprised if he thinks he damn well deserves a parade!

Edited to add: My TWoP screen named was Humbled!

Edited by Biggie B

For this reason alone I just watched my last my last show this season. I may not watch next season if Randy and J. Load are there. I am tired of the ex-Mrs. Marc Anthony glomming onto one female singer (Lauren Alaina, Jessica Sanchez, JEEEENA) and going after any other female singer who has a chance to win (Haley Reinhart, Hollie Cavanaugh, Slapout). Her bias is disgusting and demeaning.

Yes. I feel you. I might have to ff through the next shows as opposed to not watching just so I'll be able to come here and understand the comments. I tried to watch til the end of last night's show to see what happened with JLo and Jessica, Jehna etc, but the dang DVR cut off right when Caleb stepped in the frame. Jess sounded good imo on her singout. Good song choice too. I'm bitter though. If it had been a totally fair thing happening with the judges and their apparent influence and bussing, I'd be fine with it; but I don't see it that way.

I wish we had a Knoll because I think it's fishy that Jess chose that Clarkson song that was clearly a bad choice, too big for her, and just not a strategic move to sing any Clarkson song on this show, imo especially at top 4 (and looking at past contestants' results shows after singing Clarkson.) I wonder if someone behind the scenes suggested that song because it seems like a sabotage song choice and a weird choice for her to choose on her  own. It was not great.  

Jehna and Caleb looked thrilled with everything and of course I can see why. Alex and Jess looked defeated. That makes me stabby.

As aJLo fan, I'm afraid I have to finally put her on my shit list.

Oh gosh, I forgot he said that.  That performance wasn't even top ten for me.  I would rate (in no particular order) Fantasia's Summer Time, Adam Lambert's Mad World, Chris Allen's Falling Slowly, Bo Bice's Whipping Post, David Cook's Hello, and Kelly Clarkson's Stuff Like That as one of the greatest Idol performances (and that's right off the top of my head - I'm sure I could come up with others if I put a little effort into it).

• Love 1

Thanks for the "humbling' input. I cannot in any way in any universe see Caleb as seeing himself as, "insignificant, inferior, or subservient." But if we're going with the notion that the whole thing is scripted and assigned dialogue, he wouldn't need to mean it anyway. Maybe my beef should be with whoever wrote the script heh as in, "It's so humbling..." right next to, "Yeah, we're going to have to wear disguises and won't be able to walk around outside." Sorry; I just hate the whole round table and now picnic bit with the "I love yous" which are nauseating. I think Sam and Alex actually have a friendship, but the others.... meh. I'm with the poster above who asked why they couldn't just have a normal conversation.  Oh, what unacceptable craziness and anarchy that would be. But then Caleb  might go rogue and call HCJ or someone else, "ass" again. :) 

I only saw Jessica's departure song on Youtube, so it may have been distorted.  But it looked like as she sang "Blue-Eyed Lie' she was giving JLo the Stank Death Stare of Hate.  Direct and penetrating.  I can only hope that is true.  Did it look like that on regular TV?

Yes!  Jessica looked really pissed.  I don't blame her at all.  Miss Lopez not only overly criticized her performances the prior night, while all but getting a "JENA" tattoo on her caboose.  Then when it's announced Jess didn't make the cut, JLo makes a point of making sure her super sad face is out for the cameras.  

I loved Jessica's Stank Death Stare of Hate and was doing the same from the comfort of my sofa.

I'm with the poster above who asked why they couldn't just have a normal conversation.  Oh, what unacceptable craziness and anarchy that would be. But then Caleb  might go rogue and call HCJ or someone else, "ass" again. :)

Everything about this sad show is scripted now. I hate the fact that they neutered my lovely Harry Connick Junior, who seemed to me, would bring back some honour to this show.  I think at some point they took him aside and said: Okay Harry, we take over now, and you need to stay within our scripted reality show here.  

I have a theory.  Harry Connick Junior has realized he is hogtied and that is why he acts the fool and eggs JLo on, and randomly does stupid stuff.  It's his way of showing everyone how ridiculous this show has gotten.  When he put the sugar on his nose and acted like Scarface, did you see Keith lose it?  Keith could not stop laughing.  I think Harry realizes that you must accept what you cannot change and he is just secretly having fun.  

And yes, I do think those dinners and picnics are very lame and aren't fooling many people.  Would love to be a fly on the wall when Jessica gets home and vents to everyone.  Just rewatched her singout and tears and she looked angry, frustrated, and defeated.  She didn't even look at JLo, who just stood on the side when she realized she wasn't getting into that inner circle.  It makes me also wonder about Randy, who perhaps, spent time with them that we didn't see and actually friended them more than was evident. 

I think Jessica's sing-out was her best performance (vocally) of the season. I didn't see any 'death stare'...I saw the same look she had every week, maybe with just a little sadness thrown in...hard to tell with her. ((shrugs)) I feel she'll go the way of last year's runner-up (Kree?).

I think TPTB could make anyone 'happen' if they feel like it. If they can make that dullard P2 into a hit-maker, there's hope for anyone. They just throw stuff up on the wall and see what sticks.

I would never buy any music from any of the remaining 3.....if I want to hear Caleb's type of music, I will listen to 80s rock, if I wanted to hear Alex's stuff, I would listen to Ryan Adams, and if I wanted to hear JENA's stuff....well, I wouldn't bother at all.

HATE how AI name-drops only the past idols who are making $$...they never mentioned Jennifer Hudson until she won the Oscar....now they call her "their own". Gag.

Sooooo sick of JennyFromTheBlock and her grand entrance and goosies and strut and stupid faces and chair dancing and saying "competition" like she's patented the word. Can't wait for her to take complete ownership of her girl JENAFromTheSuburbs.

And, no, Mr. JourneyMan, that was NOT one of the greatest performances on AI ever. Hardly.

• Love 3
(edited)

I kind of feel bad for Randy at times. Getting older and trying to be relevant can't be super fun, and I'm sure he has to do whatever to get his check. He's a doofus but I don't get an evil vibe from him, so there's that.

I agree, Mrs. M that HCJ may indeed be in on the antics. For example, I can see HCJ and Urban huddled up pre-show saying, "Ok let's see if we can get Jenn to do this.... It'll be hilarious. " And then she falls for it every time.

Wow. Even in the rehash results show clip sequences they wanted to beatify Jehna for her ORIGINAL! rendition of ICFILWY, but no one bothered to acknowledge the person who actually created the arrangement. Stunning.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I wonder if the Powers that Be are ready if Jena wins.  A big headed immature girl who thinks she is already a star, and her diva mother orchestrating everything.  

And when her album sells 20,000 units, I'll try to muffle my laugh like everyone else here.

Be careful what you wish for, AI!

• Love 2

I kind of feel bad for Randy at times. Getting older and trying to be relevant can't be super fun, and I'm sure he has to do whatever to get his check. He's a doofus but I don't get an evil vibe from him, so there's that.

Randy is like your crazy uncle - he is a generally a dolt and makes the most embarrassing/cringe-worthy comments but ultimately has a good heart.  While I think Randy's "advice" and "reviews" are made to further the show's agenda, I do think that he genuinely likes the contestant, enjoys working with them, and wants them to do well.

• Love 1

I wonder if the Powers that Be are ready if Jena wins.  A big headed immature girl who thinks she is already a star, and her diva mother orchestrating everything.  

But the show won't have to deal with her--and if she fails, the label will promptly dump her. It's what they've always done in the past.

It's true that the show needs to produce some stars to have credibility, but right now, I'd say they are far more interested in ratings than hit records, so whether this year's winner flops big time is less important to them than finale ratings, and they appear to be betting that big, loud performers are likely to give them a bigger audience than quiet, introspective performers.

Wow, I just watched the very end on youtube after Jessica's sing out (since my DVR cut it off.) JLo ran up to the stage and Jess froze her out. AWESOME. Randy was saying something and nosy nose me wonders what it was, but it came across as sweet. Even Caleb seemed sweet for a moment there.  Jehna should use her pouty face [the one that she has for the judges' critiques] as her sad face because her current sad face looks like she is fighting to hold back a grin, imo. Yikes. Not the first time I noticed that when someone was axed. 

What a cluster.

I wonder if the Powers that Be are ready if Jena wins.  A big headed immature girl who thinks she is already a star, and her diva mother orchestrating everything.

And when her album sells 20,000 units, I'll try to muffle my laugh like everyone else here.

Be careful what you wish for, AI!

Omg THIS and THIS. Dina, I mean Mrs. Ascuitto, will be running the show imo at least until July (18th B'day) if Jehna wins. I wonder when the tour starts. I know they kept mentioning the ticket sales date, but that's all I heard.

I felt a little bad for Alex in that he couldn't jump around and celebrate his safe call. But so what, he's in.... for now.. And frankly I have my doubts that he was B2 - which they didn't claim that he was, but I got the impression that we were meant to infer it.

How about when Jessica goes "I love you guys" and Caleb pauses for a second and then goes "I love you too" like he forgot he was supposed to say it or something.

The pause is probably where it was edited out when he had to ask for his next line.

Or when he said "I love me too."   lol

• Love 3

It's true that the show needs to produce some stars to have credibility, but right now, I'd say they are far more interested in ratings than hit records, so whether this year's winner flops big time is less important to them than finale ratings, and they appear to be betting that big, loud performers are likely to give them a bigger audience than quiet, introspective performers.

I think all this show has left is to worry about ratings.  It was/is/forever will be a TV show looking for huge audience numbers that generates good ratings and allows for big ad sells.  That they hit a winning formula, right time - right place, and edged their way into making a difference in the music world  and producing a number of stars is a matter of sheer luck.  No other show has managed to do this and I doubt any other show WILL be able to do this.  It's questionable whether Idol will strike gold again.  The market has now been saturated with these types of shows and all the contestants from these shows looking to grab the bass ring.  

Ratings are tanking weekly even with an overhaul of judges and personality.  Anyone can see that they are trying to produce the same camaraderie between the judges that The Voice has managed.  Idol isn't doing it as well and the effort is showing.  The bromance between Harry and Keith doesn't feel as organic as the one between Adam and Blake.  None of what they've tried has worked and the audience continues to shrink.  All in all I think people are just tired of the act, tired of the manipulation, tired of the games.  Idol has always manipulated.  It's just that in recent years they don't even bother to pretend it's not happening.  And I think that has pissed off a portion of their audience.  I know I'm not amused having my intelligence insulted week in and week out. I've stuck around for the most part, others are long gone.

They scripted the show last year to insure a girl winner and they've scripted the show this year to get the most bang for their TV bucks.  Yes, the rockers and the belters will probably produce more energy and more Idol "moments" (whatever that means as I roll my eyes often when they claim one has just happened).  Who they want in the finale and who they want to win this year will NOT sell copious amounts of records.  But they will give a good show.  And I think the expectation of Idol PTB, are that they probably will give a better concert experience.  Remember that is another source of revenue for the Idol machine that has seen diminishing returns.  

I truly believe that Idol's reign as a entity that produced stars and hit music is over, never to return. Best they can hope for is to find some way to stem the outflux of viewers and keep Fox happy enough that they are insured renewals for another few years.

• Love 4

I don't think the drop in ratings has to do with the manipulation or silly games that Idol plays; after all, they've done that since day one and continued to get high ratings for many years.  I think it's just a matter of running its course.  How many TV shows continue to get huge ratings and press after thirteen years?  Plus, as has been pointed out, there is more competition in the talent-search genre now.  It's inevitable that the level of attention for Idol would drop after all these years--and it's a fact that the show still gets ratings that many shows would envy.  The current ratings look anemic only in comparison to what they used to be.

Wow I love the theory that Harry is totally messing with them! I loved him in the beginning but have been getting a little sick of his antics. I'm totally going with he's acting out. Great idea!

• Love 1
(edited)

The top 4 performance show pulled a 1.8 rating, finishing 2nd to Survivor at 2.4 and just edging out The Middle at 1.6. The results show got a 1.6 finishing 3rd to Grey's Anatomy at 2.5 & 2.5 Men at 2.1.

Viewership on network TV is down overall, but Idol's ratings are no longer "down but good." They are barely pulling higher numbers than war horses like Hell's Kitchen and The Biggest Loser and are getting beat regularly by .5 point or more by the even older show Survivor.

Depending on what it costs to produce the show, if the ratings stabilize in the mid 1s next season, they might hang on awhile, simply because Fox doesn't have much going for it beyond Sleepy Hollow, a fading The Following, a tepid New Girl and animation domination.

If they slip into the sub 1s, I don't think they will renew it for season 15. It will be interesting to see if they cut the results show and/or the running time of the performance show next season.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1
I would never buy any music from any of the remaining 3.....if I want to hear Caleb's type of music, I will listen to 80s rock, if I wanted to hear Alex's stuff, I would listen to Ryan Adams, and if I wanted to hear JENA's stuff....well, I wouldn't bother at all.

I agree to an extent. I am impressed enough with Alex to want to see what his original music might be like. When PP seemed poised to win his season, many people said, "If I want that sort of music, I'll listen to Dave Matthews." But he's not just a Dave Matthews clone, and I say that as someone who enjoys DMB very much. Now, I *adore* Jason Mraz and I do think that Alex is in the same wheelhouse, but I am still willing to sample Alex's original music in the hopes that it will be truly Alex's. I feel that from what he's shown me so far, I might really like his own stuff. I could be proved wrong, but I sure hope not. It's a crap shoot. I adored Bo Bice during his season, but after buying his first CD, I was left wanting. I just couldn't get into it. And remember beat-boxing Blake? I have to admit, I bought his CD, listened to it a few times...and then threw it out. But I guess my point is, I was willing to spend money on both Bo and Blake's music and at least give it a try. 

As for Caleb, I totally agree. Absolutely nothing he's done so far has made me curious about what his original music might sound like. I'm 52 years old, so the rock music of the 70's and 80's is what really resonates right to the bone with me. I was there when it happened the first time around. I have satellite radio, and when I need to hear that good stuff, I go right to the 70's,  80's, and classic rock  channels and get the real thing. I don't need Caleb for that at all and nothing he's shown me motivates me to seek out his own music.

Jena, forget it. She's a non-entity to me. Even if she wins, I suspect I won't remember her a year from now. If she and Caleb are the final two - and I am assuming they will be - I am hard pressed to find reason to watch. What's the point?

• Love 5

Before we get to the performances, can we talk about Harry Connick Jr? This guy needs to be on the judging panel next season. He’s not afraid to tell the contestants how it is, or the other judges. Loved that he called out Randy Jackson for his often contradictory critiques. Their debate was great to watch. Nicki Minaj’s facial expressions during it were everything. Nigel Lythgoe, make Harry happen next year. Don’t you agree?

I found this online about HCJ from last year.    I really do think he has been muzzled this year, and has been backed into a corner.   That could be why he is getting worse in his antics, acting out to show how ludicrous and what a joke this show has become.  He was much better as a mentor as you can see from this comment.  

Welp all the judges are reported to be returning next season, so there will be no changes in the judging panel. I wonder if Randy will still be the in-house mentor. Sometimes I think they just want to hold onto Randy since, other than Ryan, Randy is the only person left from the "old" Idol days. 

(edited)

Hey, fellow posters, don't want to derail the thread but wanted to mention this where I'd be sure you all would see it. There's another singing competition  show starting called "Rising Star."  Just throwing it out there since we seem to enjoy that kind of thing. Sounds like it could be snark-a-licious. Don't have any details, but I think it's ABC.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Hey, fellow posters, don't want to derail the thread but wanted to mention this where I'd be sure you all would see it. There's another singing competition  show starting called "Rising Star."  Just throwing it out there since we seems to enjoy that kind of thing. Sounds like it could be snark-a-licious. Don't have any details, but I think it's ABC.

Yeah I heard about it from MJs a while back. It was too late to audition in person but I submitted an online form/audition and I think the show will be held in June. The difference between this show and others is that I guess the audience votes in real time for who they want to advance instead of voting after the show is over.

• Love 1