Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

How dare you, Sir? How dare you personally attack me with a kitten and a look that it is most decidedly hot. JFC.

I love that his wife thought so, too. ♥

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

How dare you, Sir? How dare you personally attack me with a kitten and a look that it is most decidedly hot. JFC.

How about multiples? :P

5.jpg

• Love 5

I don't have much of an issue with what Jared was quoted as saying.  It's been said before by others about this show.  It is basically a show about men and their relationships.  If it were your typical action tv show, you'd be seeing one or both of the boys shirtless practically every episode.  Part of me would happily sign up for that, but then it wouldn't be the show we love.  I think they've done a pretty good job, especially lately, with introducing some strong female characters.  

All this publicity for the show is great, and those pictures and video are amazing.  I just hope the show itself is up to the hype this season.  I've stayed away a bit, especially from spoilers, because I really want to try to enjoy the show while it's still on the air.  One more day and we'll see what's in store for us.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I love that his wife thought so, too. ♥

How about multiples? :P

5.jpg

NOOO, I can't handle that. In 3 days it's been Jensen with baseball and kittens. If you never hear from me again here or on twitter it's because I've stroked out. LOL  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

The way it was presented, it appears that the question was asked and Jared quickly answered, but we don't know if his response was following some other commentary about the lack of romantic relationships. That's always the problem with these types of articles, we don't know what was being said by the other people in the room that could be influencing these comments.

Yup. Plus, I know nothing about this source so I’m not about to take what it publishes at face value. Reporters can slice and dice people’s answers and the reader has no clue unless a complete transcript is released. And, yes, both reporters and readers may have an agenda.

This particular article is making the rounds on blogs known to dislike Padalecki. Which, in my book, makes them less likely to interpret the comments charitably and more likely to fall prey to confirmation bias  

I’m not saying these guys are perfect, but I am suggesting that everyone should be discerning readers. 

I have no issues with what he said, but I disagree with the implied criticisms in the premise of the question. 

• Love 4

FWIW, here is what Jared said at NerdHQ when asked about female actors on the show.  It's starts around the 37:40 mark give or take. 

Fan question: "Supernatural has a heavily male dominated cast...

Jared: "Wait, we have Mark Sheppard and Misha".

Fan continues: I wanted to ask what it feels like when you work with female actors, and if adds a different dynamic on set?

Jared: "Well, you know what happened to me. I ended up marrying her. I can't do that again"

banter between them for a bit and then he continued with

Jared: "I don't think it makes it too different. I think it's easy in a male dominated cast to not have to....There are so many shows that deal with romance that there needs to be a show that doesn't deal with romance. That's why you have Supernatural to deal with the other parts, the many other facets of human nature and existence, even in a bizarre way. But we don't have to worry about there's a scene...we can make show about something else". 

The question wasn't about romance.

I think Jared may have just interpreted the question as one about women from a relationship standpoint.  I'm not sure that means anything other than that's how he took the question.  There have been some pretty strong female characters on the show, but ultimately, I do think it's a show about men.  It's interesting that the spinoff we're going to end up with is one with the all female cast.  Depending on whether SPN continues for another season or two, I wonder if new female characters will be introduced on the show, or whether we'll just have some crossover with the female characters we already have.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think Jared may have just interpreted the question as one about women from a relationship standpoint.

Which makes me question why he took it that way. I'm not saying he's a terrible person for answering it that way. It just comes across as kind of narrow thinking about what roles females have on the show if that is what he translated that question as being about when it seemed to me it wasn't about that at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I love everything about it - everything. It just makes me grin.

And this? This just makes me.....

snip.JPG

This cover=Me Speechless. The Smolder is completely overwhelming to the senses.

Love him in that purple coat and dancing with the skeleton, too.

The tongues pic-No. Yuck.

Loved Danneel's tweet. She's awesome.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Which makes me question why he took it that way. I'm not saying he's a terrible person for answering it that way. It just comes across as kind of narrow thinking about what roles females have on the show if that is what he translated that question as being about when it seemed to me it wasn't about that at all.

When actors are answering questions in an environment with screaming fans and fellow actors near them joking around and the significant possibility that alcohol may have been imbibed, I don't expect them to come up with a social critique of the the female roles on their show.  If I were any of them, in that kind of environment I'd probably say "female roles on Supernatural are above my pay grade" and leave it at that, just to avoid any controversy. 

Although, it seems to me, that wasn't the question either. Based on the quoted transcript you provided, the question was basically, what's it like to have women on set. Which I think is kind of an odd question. 

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Bessie said:

This particular article is making the rounds on blogs known to dislike Padalecki. Which, in my book, makes them less likely to interpret the comments charitably and more likely to fall prey to confirmation bias 

I promise I’m not anti-Jared. If y’all want me to write a long post completely in praise of Jared to prove it, I can! ;)

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I promise I’m not anti-Jared. If y’all want me to write a long post completely in praise of Jared to prove it, I can! ;)

Do it! Kidding. I know you're not. And I have no problem with people being critical of any of the actors. I don't know these guys so I don't feel any great need to defend them. It's just that these particular comments seemed so innocuous to me that I was curious about where this article was being linked to and discussed. 

ETA: I should add that I think it's a good thing when fans of an actor can be critical of behavior they think warrants criticism. Slavish fan devotion is a turn-off, for me. So, more power to you @Jeddah!

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I don't know what this publication is and I'm hoping it's some kind of aggregator or something but if this is what he said...oh boy. It does match up with his SDCC comments from a couple of years ago that got him in some hot water.

Here's why 'Supernatural' lacks a 'greater female presence'

https://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv/jared-padalecki-supernatural-season-13-premiere

This implies that women are only there to be sex objects, love interests, etc etc. I hope something was misunderstood or this is out of context in some way. He's disregarding all the roles for women in the show like cops, attorneys, other hunters, family friends, etc. He's also seeming to be saying that he and Jensen have never taken off their shirts nor had racy sex scenes but they both did, under Kripke's eye. What is this?? I don't get it.

I guess, I am not seeing what the big deal is, a very quick short interview.  I really didn't see how he meant anything bad or sexist.  It is a show about 2 brothers being on the road and the supernatural, that I think is what he meant. 

• Love 3

I

3 minutes ago, Bessie said:

Do it! Kidding. I know you're not. And I have no problem with people being critical of any of the actors. I don't know these guys so I don't feel any great need to defend them. It's just that these particular comments seemed so innocuous to me that I was curious about where this article was being linked to and discussed. 

I provided the links in my OP for everyone to read.

I don't know. To me it seems baiting they are even asking those questions in a way. I knew going in that Supernatural wasn't that kind of show. And I am weirdly okay with that.

At the risk of offending someone - and I don't mean to, because I could be entirely wrong, too - but I don't remember much criticism of shows like Sex in the City (which I will admit I didn't watch) or Xena, Warrior Princess (which I did) not having enough non-romantic male presence thrown in. Or even Gilmore Girls to an extent, which I also watched until it pissed me off and I stopped. My point being that I don't see why it's okay to have male characters mostly just for romance - with the occasional quirky character thrown in - on female shows, but that female characters can't be talked about similarly when it comes to guy shows, because I agree, that unless you're unusual like myself who for most of my life tended to have male friends, when men and women are onscreen together, a lot of people consider the romance aspect.

And as I inferred, this goes both ways... on Xena, whenever a hunky guy was onscreen, you generally knew they were there to hook up and/or have some sort of chemistry with Xena or Gabriel. The main male character on most often was the comic relief - Joxer, who strangely was actually my favorite character on the show: go figure - and even he had romantic feelings towards Gabriel even if they weren't returned. It's an old fashioned way of looking at things in a way, but in a lot of cases, that's just the way it is and the way things are looked at on television.

Of course there have been exceptions with shows thathave had male and female characters interacting not in a romantic way, and I love them also, but they are not as common as far as I know, and sometimes those types of shows even have a hard time finding an audience. The examples I'm thinking of are usually procedural type shows: Hill Street Blues, L&O: SVU, Homicide: Life on the Streets... and two of my favorites for strong women characters: Crossing Jordan* and China Beach - but even those two shows had romantic components to them eventually. One great exception was Seinfeld, and that was because Elaine, in a lot of ways, was an unusual female character. It was even stated on the show that "women don't really like her," so it made sense that her friend circle was men.

So maybe it's because I started watching from the beginning and went in to the show looking at it as a "guy-orientated" show, or it could be that I have somewhat male-chauvinist tendencies / views myself (entirely possible), but it doesn't bother me if Kripke - and by extension Jared - think that women characters could throw off the tone of the show, because I tend to agree. I found Jo and especially Bella annoying, because it seemed to me that the writers were trying too hard with them. They just couldn't seem to make it look like they weren't trying to make the characters oh so cool and "see women can kick ass, too"... and Ruby's introduction was even worse. I mean I guess it's noble to try, but I'm a big proponent of know your own weaknesses and compensate for them and/or work around them. I'd rather the writers not write women characters if they can't handle writing them well, and I don't even mind if it's just because they'd rather write male characters, because it's what they know and like to do. I'm good with that! For me, it's better than stuffing female characters in there that are just going to annoy the crap out of me. I'd rather have the occasional recurring character that they do get right for me - Jody, Eileen, Ellen, Donna, etc. because they want them there and were inspired to write them.

I guess for me, it's okay if they want to have a show about brothers that focuses on men and doesn't have many women, because I can watch a show like Sex in the City or Xena (or Cagney and Lacy, to go a little more old school) if I want to have a female focus... preferably from a writer who writes women characters well. And yes, I'm implying that many of the SPN writers are not necessarily the writers to do that, and so I'm not that upset if they don't try or even want to try. Again, I'm okay with that.

:: Prepares to duck rotten vegetables ::

* Jordan reminds me of Dean in a lot of ways.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I guess for me, it's okay if they want to have a show about brothers that focuses on men and doesn't have many women, because I can watch a show like Sex in the City or Xena (or Cagney and Lacy, to go a little more old school) if I want to have a female focus... preferably from a writer who writes women characters well. And yes, I'm implying that many of the SPN writers are not necessarily the writers to do that, and so I'm not that upset if they don't try or even want to try. Again, I'm okay with that.

To your question about Sex and the City. I watched every episode. It featured four women as leads and the story was entered around their friendship, their careers, their friendships with other people and their romantic relationships. Men were not absent from the show and were actually fairly important to the lead characters arcs. :)

The issue I'm taking with Jared's remarks is that he seems to equate women in the show with romance. He could have said, "We're always happy to have female actors on set who portray nteresting women be they allies, enemies, friends or love interests." I mean he started to answer it with "the dynamic isn't really different" but then veered off about romance. It's just a strange answer to a question that wasn't being asked at all. And I understand if others aren't bugged by it. MV

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

To your question about Sex and the City. I watched every episode. It featured four women as leads and the story was entered around their friendship, their careers, their friendships with other people and their romantic relationships. Men were not absent from the show and were actually fairly important to the lead characters arcs. :)

The issue I'm taking with Jared's remarks is that he seems to equate women in the show with romance. He could have said, "We're always happy to have female actors on set who portray nteresting women be they allies, enemies, friends or love interests." I mean he started to answer it with "the dynamic isn't really different" but then veered off about romance. It's just a strange answer to a question that wasn't being asked at all. And I understand if others aren't bugged by it. MV

Well at the last con Jared did say that if he could bring back a "dead" character permanently it would be Charlie because he loved the dynamic of her character with the brothers.  I don't think Jared only sees women as love interests. He just doesn't see SPN as a show about romance.  I think sometimes that is how he interprets those types of questions because so many series on the CW are more take-your-shirt off-fall-in-love-with-your-costar type shows.   I also notice that Jared often misinterprets questions and gives kind of off topic/rambling answers.  Also wasn't that Nerd HQ from 2014 the one that Aisha hosted?  She did make a pretty strong statement during that panel about SPN being a show about men and their relationships.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I don't think Jared only sees women as love interests. He just doesn't see SPN as a show about romance.  I think sometimes that is how he interprets those types of questions because so many series on the CW are more take-your-shirt off-fall-in-love-with-your-costar type shows.   I also notice that Jared often misinterprets questions and gives kind of off topic/rambling answers.  Also wasn't that Nerd HQ from 2014 the one that Aisha hosted?  She did make a pretty strong statement during that panel about SPN being a show about men and their relationships.

I have ADD so I get the going off on tangents thing but I usually answer the question asked LOL.I understand that he doesn't see it as being about romance (even though I actually disagree that it's not about romance but that's a whole other debate). 

I don't think the questions about female representation in the show are about romance either. It's Jared making it about romance in those two cases which is puzzling to me.

4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

But were the male roles mostly as romantic pairings for the women? And if so, then that is the point that I was getting at. I don't think many people would complain or be asking something like "why are there only male romantic interests on this show and no other male characters?" about SitC, because as you say, it's a show that centers around four lead women and their relationship. If there was no romance, there likely wouldn't be many men on the show... but I personally couldn't see people complaining about that, because, for me, that would make perfect sense for the tone of the show. Trying to shoehorn men in there just to have male representation if it didn't naturally fit to me wouldn't make sense. Same with Xena. That wasn't the tone of that show. It was about two strong female characters and their relationship and adventures that they had. The only male characters on with any frequency were Joxer, the comic relief and Ares, the sometimes "love" (read sex) interest of Xena and sometimes antagonist, often both at the same time. The main focus was Xena and Gabrielle. Enough that even though I loved Joxer, I'm sure there were just as many fans - if not more - who found him nothing but annoying, because they thought that he disrupted the focus of the show when he was on. And I can entirely understand why that would be the case. I can't imagine there being many fans asking "where are the male hero characters?" That wasn't what the show was about, in my opinion.

So if Jared was meaning - and I'm not even saying this is what Jared was meaning, since I couldn't begin to guess what was in his mind - that because the show was conceived less as a romance and more as a relationship between brothers and their males friends that there weren't many female characters, because they wouldn't naturally fit the tone, then in that case, for me personally, I'm good with that. I can see why others might be put off by that, but for me, it makes sense. I personally think that for the kind of show this is, there are enough good female characters.

I found the question leading and worded to put the questionee in a bad spot. If Jared had said something to the effect that he didn't think that there was a lack of female representation as the criticism was saying, his answer would be looking antagonistic. against whatever critics the interviewer was paraphrasing. I think the question was worded to get the desired response - which might not sit well with some of the show runners, depending on what the answer was - or catch Jared or whoever the question would be given to in a "gotcha" situation. So he answered in a way that might explain why there might not be many female characters without saying something like "well, the show was conceived to focus on brothers and their relationship and Kripke / the writers / whoever didn't think frequently occurring female characters would be very conducive to that / needed for that / etc." well that probably wouldn't go over so well, either, even if it was somewhat true and maybe wouldn't get the same reaction if the sexes were reversed. Unfortunately his answer still didn't sit well with some people, but with the way the question was worded, I don't think there were many good answers, myself. Your opinion obviously varies and that's understandable.

So yup, Jared's answer was somewhat rambling and avoiding the question, and even if he did it on purpose, I don't blame him. But that's just my opinion on that. I understand if others don't feel that way.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 4

I love all these covers, but nothing can top the CHAINSAW and Jensen's facial expressions here! ;)

DL3nKe0XkAAOIei.jpg

17 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Again, the context is kinda important here...and the amount of drinking and horsing around going on. 

The thing with Jared is, he seems to get bored really easy, has a hard time sitting still and his mind wanders. That's why he's always interrupting and injecting at cons and sometimes is just all over the place. So, when he does interviews--and even at cons--it seems to me he's not really paying attention to the questions but thinking about the lights in the ceiling or something that happened to him on the way to work, or.... He still tries to answer what he thinks was asked but, many times, ends up on a somewhat incoherent tangent. 

So, in this case, he's asked about female characters and his mind automatically goes to Ruby, which leads him to his wife...and now he's not paying attention to the actual question being asked. So, I think Jared is just assuming the question is about romance because they are often asked about that and starts jabbering on about how the show isn't about romance. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

I love all these covers, but nothing can top the CHAINSAW and Jensen's facial expressions here! ;)

DL3nKe0XkAAOIei.jpg

Again, the context is kinda important here...and the amount of drinking and horsing around going on. 

The thing with Jared is, he seems to get bored really easy, has a hard time sitting still and his mind wanders. That's why he's always interrupting and injecting at cons and sometimes is just all over the place. So, when he does interviews--and even at cons--it seems to me he's not really paying attention to the questions but thinking about the lights in the ceiling or something that happened to him on the way to work, or.... He still tries to answer what he thinks was asked but, many times, ends up on a somewhat incoherent tangent. 

So, in this case, he's asked about female characters and his mind automatically goes to Ruby, which leads him to his wife...and now he's not paying attention to the actual question being asked. So, I think Jared is just assuming the question is about romance because they are often asked about that and starts jabbering on about how the show isn't about romance. 

Was he drinking when he gave a similar answer for the Metro publication?

As to rest about Jared, you have given me a different way of processing Jared's POV on things about the show, so thanks for that. It kind of all makes sense now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

This makes a lot of sense, DittyDotDot.

More than my above ramblings... I think I just sometimes get annoyed when interviewers appear to maybe try to inject politics or agendas into my entertainment. I'm already frustrated enough with the current political situation, and yesterday's Alaska situation was a huge frustrating blow (the scientist in me wanted to knock some sense into someone), and that likely got me more worked up than I should have been about perceived political agendas.

Sorry about that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Was he drinking when he gave a similar answer for the Metro publication?

My point was that, IMO, context matters with these things--especially with Jared--and I don't have the context for the Metro publication.

• Love 1

No spoilers other than snippets from the promo. Interview with WPIX-TV in NY. Looks like it's from the same day Jensen did the Kelly and Ryan show.

BIG NEWS: He says he never auditioned for Captain America. That rumor is laid to rest now. LOL

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Entertainment Weekly article. (There is a video in the link but I can't seem to embed it here).

What you need to know before starting Supernatural

What you need to know before starting Supernatural

12 seasons. 264 episodes. Two brothers. One angel. And a whole lot of monsters. All of that, when put together, creates the world of Supernatural, where Sam and Dean Winchester have dedicated their lives to saving innocent people from anything and everything that goes bump in the night (or day, really).

The series, which premiered in 2005, is heading into its thirteenth season, though thanks to the likes of Netflix, the long-running show is still reaching new fans. But here’s the thing: Binging Supernatural is not a small undertaking. So when EW gathered stars Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins for a cover shoot, we asked them what advice they’d give to anyone who’s considering joining the #SPNFamily by starting at episode one.

Check out the full video above to see what they had to say.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

No spoilers other than snippets from the promo. Interview with WPIX-TV in NY. Looks like it's from the same day Jensen did the Kelly and Ryan show.

BIG NEWS: He says he never auditioned for Captain America. That rumor is laid to rest now. LOL

"I'm gonna mess with her. She's scared of her own hair." - Ghost.

*snort*

• Love 1

That was a good interview. I went to high school with people who took Latin to get better scores on the SATs. Jared’s right, they don’t use it. But I bet his Latin teacher was really happy to hear him say he uses it all the time.

• Love 2