Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

But the ratings do matter as far as budget goes.  The lower the ratings the less advertising dollars.  

I'm not sure how much the advertising dollars are what's funding this show. They also get dollars from their streaming deal with Netflix, there's the DVD sales and such. The ratings may actually be a very small factor of the budget here?

• Love 1

I think it's a fair bet that the CW and WBTV have agreed to a dollar amount.  The advertising offsets the dollars WB puts into it, but the revenue generated elsewhere is what keeps the production budget relatively stable.  I think they are around the $2M an episode point.  Every year crew and cast raises eat more. On the other side of the ledger, having the MoL cut down the production budget some. And SFx is getting better all the time.  But one of the main reasons long shows get cancelled is costs outpace advertising.  I think Supernatural "math' has been augmented by other sources (than advertisements) for YEARS.  So, the advertisement drop is not what is going to kill it.

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought the show was on the verge of cancellation.  It isn't.

I didn't think you were suggesting this.  I thought you were suggesting that viewers had fled due to writing quality as the primary determinant.  I just don't think there's a strong case for that.  Too many other indicators that the CW/WB are happy with viewership and the associated profit.  And as others have indicated, viewership is a slippery slope these days for networks.  The math is more complicated and varies network to network.

I also know that no one is going to pay any attention to my opinion.  Whether I love the show or not.

Jensen's interview, IMO, indicates otherwise.  They actually care quite a bit about fan feedback. While he and Jared are not on websites getting opinions, he's indicated some show people are.  More importantly they take a lot of feedback from fan conventions (see the roundtable interviews). Although recently it seems like the main panels are mostly shenanigans, the Meet & Greets and quick moments during autographs/photos are often more show centric. Example: Jensen didn't get the mixed tape for Cas was a HUGE thing until a ton of people showed up with one shortly after that episode aired for their photo op. That's positive feedback for him on what mattered.   

Personal POV: Jensen LOVES talking about the actual show in small groups -- who did what and why.  He's like meeting a fellow fan who gets really excited about plot details -- independent of whether or not it's about his character.  He wants to know if we picked up on things and he SO WANTS TO SPOIL SHIT. It's a good thing he doesn't read ahead. It would burn a hole in his pocket.  Jared, OTOH, digs less into the plots and more into character motivation (from the three longer interaction I've had) when answering questions.  And Jared's M&Gs have a LOT more people wanting to tell their personal stories and how Jared has helped him (note: I'm REALLY glad they've put some kabosh on that... it's too much IMO to put on the boys. I've literally heard "I've stopped cutting because of you, Jared." That screws with your head. Especially if you are already dealing with issues yourself.). 

So, while I think it highly unlikely J2 will ever read our comments here, I wouldn't be surprised if there were show lurkers.  Certainly there was when we were TWoP.  I doubt if many have made the leap to PTV.

Finally, even Bob "I'm a curmudgeon" Singer admitted that he heard the fan feedback on Charlie loud and clear.  He's still not called her ass to come back (as far as I can tell) but he knows that did not play out as intended IMO. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

tumblr_otxj47jEYw1vwayjvo1_1280.jpgEvidently something exciting happened.

"It's in the HOLE !!!" - Caddyshack

I guess Jensen finally got Jared into golf. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, SueB said:

I think it's a fair bet that the CW and WBTV have agreed to a dollar amount.  The advertising offsets the dollars WB puts into it, but the revenue generated elsewhere is what keeps the production budget relatively stable.  I think they are around the $2M an episode point.  Every year crew and cast raises eat more. On the other side of the ledger, having the MoL cut down the production budget some. And SFx is getting better all the time.  But one of the main reasons long shows get cancelled is costs outpace advertising.  I think Supernatural "math' has been augmented by other sources (than advertisements) for YEARS.  So, the advertisement drop is not what is going to kill it.

I didn't think you were suggesting this.  I thought you were suggesting that viewers had fled due to writing quality as the primary determinant.  I just don't think there's a strong case for that.  Too many other indicators that the CW/WB are happy with viewership and the associated profit.  And as others have indicated, viewership is a slippery slope these days for networks.  The math is more complicated and varies network to network.

Jensen's interview, IMO, indicates otherwise.  They actually care quite a bit about fan feedback. While he and Jared are not on websites getting opinions, he's indicated some show people are.  More importantly they take a lot of feedback from fan conventions (see the roundtable interviews). Although recently it seems like the main panels are mostly shenanigans, the Meet & Greets and quick moments during autographs/photos are often more show centric. Example: Jensen didn't get the mixed tape for Cas was a HUGE thing until a ton of people showed up with one shortly after that episode aired for their photo op. That's positive feedback for him on what mattered.   

Personal POV: Jensen LOVES talking about the actual show in small groups -- who did what and why.  He's like meeting a fellow fan who gets really excited about plot details -- independent of whether or not it's about his character.  He wants to know if we picked up on things and he SO WANTS TO SPOIL SHIT. It's a good thing he doesn't read ahead. It would burn a hole in his pocket.  Jared, OTOH, digs less into the plots and more into character motivation (from the three longer interaction I've had) when answering questions.  And Jared's M&Gs have a LOT more people wanting to tell their personal stories and how Jared has helped him (note: I'm REALLY glad they've put some kabosh on that... it's too much IMO to put on the boys. I've literally heard "I've stopped cutting because of you, Jared." That screws with your head. Especially if you are already dealing with issues yourself.). 

So, while I think it highly unlikely J2 will ever read our comments here, I wouldn't be surprised if there were show lurkers.  Certainly there was when we were TWoP.  I doubt if many have made the leap to PTV.

Finally, even Bob "I'm a curmudgeon" Singer admitted that he heard the fan feedback on Charlie loud and clear.  He's still not called her ass to come back (as far as I can tell) but he knows that did not play out as intended IMO. 

Really interesting post! Especially the Personal POV about J2! Have you had any similar dealings with Misha? :) 

Just now, Wayward Son said:

Really interesting post! Especially the Personal POV about J2! Have you had any similar dealings with Misha? :) 

Yes.  Misha, bless his heart, is not remotely interested in talking about the show unless you ask him a specific question.  He's now got TWO M&G sessions per convention.  The original one (the ones I've been on) are usually walk-abouts.  I was at his M&G in MinnCon after the mugging and so we just stayed in place.  But honestly, I was the only one to ask a show question. He answered but then the topic moved back to other things.  The M&G at DCCon he took us to the Walmart to buy Wes a pair of shoes and get supplies for a local animal shelter.  Then the 10 min VIP session was mostly him trying to get Wes to eat some of our left over pizza (I think Jared gave him more sugar... because he's EVIL) and to not climb on the chairs in a precarious fashion.  He's lovely to talk to but he's very much just 'hey, my name is Misha... who are you and tell me about YOU'.  It's a totally different experience.  Mark Shepard talks about the show and his baby. I suspect Misha's newly added second M&G is more like J2 and he'll sit there and answer more questions.  Still not sure they'll be much show talk.  If anything, I'd say Misha is very concerned about spilling secrets.  He seems to avoid that or future speculation when he can.  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SueB said:

That's what I was wondering. I know the longer a show is on, generally the advertising dollars diminish, but their salaries and such keep going up and at some point it's just not profitable to keep the show running. Since they seem to have a lot of confidence in the show, I wondered if their main revenue source was coming from somewhere other than advertising. So, thanks for that!

6 minutes ago, SueB said:

Yes.  Misha, bless his heart, is not remotely interested in talking about the show unless you ask him a specific question.  He's now got TWO M&G sessions per convention.  The original one (the ones I've been on) are usually walk-abouts.  I was at his M&G in MinnCon after the mugging and so we just stayed in place.  But honestly, I was the only one to ask a show question. He answered but then the topic moved back to other things.  The M&G at DCCon he took us to the Walmart to buy Wes a pair of shoes and get supplies for a local animal shelter.  Then the 10 min VIP session was mostly him trying to get Wes to eat some of our left over pizza (I think Jared gave him more sugar... because he's EVIL) and to not climb on the chairs in a precarious fashion.  He's lovely to talk to but he's very much just 'hey, my name is Misha... who are you and tell me about YOU'.  It's a totally different experience.  Mark Shepard talks about the show and his baby. I suspect Misha's newly added second M&G is more like J2 and he'll sit there and answer more questions.  Still not sure they'll be much show talk.  If anything, I'd say Misha is very concerned about spilling secrets.  He seems to avoid that or future speculation when he can.  

That was a really interesting read thanks for sharing! I was also really surprised by your comments on J2. For some reason I always thought It would have been the opposite way around in regards to plot vs character motivation, so that was good to know! 

(edited)
52 minutes ago, SueB said:

I'm not sure I follow you here. 

I don't want to put any words in your mouth so I'm seeking clarification.

Are you suggesting that out of the 2M+viewers who watch weekly, and even millions more who watch other methods, the showrunners and actors are taking the feedback primarily from the more or less small sample size out of the congoers, and even smaller sample size of those who can afford to attend a Meet&Greet and that feedback is influencing the writers and how they craft the show going forward?

Are they taking how things are perceived by the con goers and decide NOPE that's not what we intended so they write AWAY from those things. Or they take on something that is well received when they didn't intend it to be well received and they will build on that and write towards that going forward?

I feel like I'm misunderstanding you here because that seems like a really poor way for the showrunners, actors etc to craft the show. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I'm not sure I follow you here. 

I don't want to put any words in your mouth so I'm seeking clarification.

Are you suggesting that out of the 2M+viewers who watch weekly, and even millions more who watch other methods, the showrunners and actors are taking the feedback primarily from the more or less small sample size out of the congoers, and even smaller sample size of those who can afford to attend a Meet&Greet and that feedback is influencing the writers and how they craft the show going forward?

Are they taking how things are perceived by the con goers and decide NOPE that's not what we intended so they write AWAY from those things. Or they take on something that is well received when they didn't intend it to be well received and they will build on that and write towards that going forward?

I feel like I'm misunderstanding you here because that seems like a really poor way for the showrunners, actors etc to craft the show. 

Sorry if I'm talking out of turn here, but I think @SueB was just saying they listen to all feedback they can; one source is cons, but they're also reading reactions online and such. Doesn't mean they necessarily will write to or away from that feedback, but they do hear what fans are saying whether it be positive or negative.

• Love 1
Just now, DittyDotDot said:

Sorry if I'm talking out of turn here, but I think @SueB was just saying they listen to all feedback they can; one source is cons, but they're also reading reactions online and such. Doesn't mean they necessarily will write to or away from that feedback, but they do hear what fans are saying whether it be positive or negative.

It was this part of her comment

"More importantly they take a lot of feedback from fan conventions (see the roundtable interviews)." that sounded like con feedback is more important to them, than other sources of feedback, which prompted my further inquiry .

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It was this part of her comment

"More importantly they take a lot of feedback from fan conventions (see the roundtable interviews)." that sounded like con feedback is more important to them, than other sources of feedback, which prompted my further inquiry .

Oh, well, I just read it as cons are a good source of feedback, not that they are their only source. I think the "more importantly" was @SueB editorializing that she herself thought convention feedback was important not necessarily that the show felt it was most important.

My editorializing here: I read it as she thought it was a good source of feedback because it's not just anonymous shouting online, but one-on-one connections with the fans; where intonation and mannerisms can be heard and seen rather than inferred. And, possibly because it's when Jared and Jensen get to hear the feedback from fans the most since they aren't likely to be lurking around sites like this.

• Love 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Oh, well, I just read it as cons are a good source of feedback, not that they are their only source. I think the "more importantly" was @SueB editorializing that she herself thought convention feedback was important not necessarily that the show felt it was most important.

My editorializing here: I read it as she thought it was a good source of feedback because it's not just anonymous shouting online, but one-on-one connections with the fans; where intonation and mannerisms can be heard and seen rather than inferred. And, possibly because it's when Jared and Jensen get to hear the feedback from fans the most since they aren't likely to be lurking around sites like this.

Gotcha. Yeah, I didn't read it that way. :)

quoting myself

53 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I didn't read it as the ONLY source either but more that they  are placing more value on the feedback from congoers than other sources.

Hopefully, Sue will pop back around for more clarification :)

Edited by catrox14
clarifying my thoughts
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SueB said:

I did love that Bob admitted that Charlie was a death too far!

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I did love that Bob admitted that Charlie was a death too far!

Do you have a link to the interview or comments where Singer actually said it was too far. I hope he did. The only thing I heard him say is that was "where the story took us" and then some IMO insincere bullshit about how they would love to have her back if she had time and then Felicia said, 'waiting by the phone". Like why the hell would Felicia call them when they are the ones that so grossly killed off Charlie. LOL

Sorry but I give Singer no sway on that nonsense. I'm harsh

(edited)
19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Do you have a link to the interview or comments where Singer actually said it was too far. I hope he did. The only thing I heard him say is that was "where the story took us" and then some IMO insincere bullshit about how they would love to have her back if she had time and then Felicia said, 'waiting by the phone". Like why the hell would Felicia call them when they are the ones that so grossly killed off Charlie. LOL

Sorry but I give Singer no sway on that nonsense. I'm harsh

Yeah watching the interview again all he really admitted to was that they knew they really "upset the fans badly".  I will look for the interview and post.  It's at 5:12

Edited by Casseiopeia
add text
  • Love 1

I don't know if I believe Singer's remarks as more than lip service because despite the flack they got for killing off Charlie he had no issues with killing off Eileen.

I sometimes wonder if there was bad blood between Robbie Thompson and TPTB when he left, and that's why we don't' see Charlie.  Since Thompson created the character they'd have to pay him for a charlie appearance.  (If I'm understanding how residuals work.)

4 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I don't know if I believe Singer's remarks as more than lip service because despite the flack they got for killing off Charlie he had no issues with killing off Eileen.

I sometimes wonder if there was bad blood between Robbie Thompson and TPTB when he left, and that's why we don't' see Charlie.  Since Thompson created the character they'd have to pay him for a charlie appearance.  (If I'm understanding how residuals work.)

Well Robbie tweeted that he was leaving the show on the one year anniversary of the brutal fridging of Charlie.  So I would have to say yes at least a little bad blood.

I'm not sure how it works but I think maybe the character Charlie might be the property of SPN and not the writer.

5 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Maybe it's a coincidence of timing but Robbie announced he was leaving SPN a year to the day after Charlie was killed off. That might have just been the end of his contract and nothing more.

I read somewhere, I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, that the writer who creates a character gets paid residuals whenever that character's likeness is used, which I honestly don't know if that's true or not, but if it is from a REALLY cynical POV, maybe that's why Charlie was killed off and that's why Singer's wife killed the character. I think Robbie probably refused to kill the character.

I know I blame Sera, Jeremy Carver and even Dabb for some terrible decisions but the common denominator in the show from Day 1 is Robert Singer, who lately has been referred to as a writer as well. I feel like maybe he has a lot more creative control than is obvious. 

I read somewhere, I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, that the writer who creates a character gets paid residuals whenever that character's likeness is used, which I honestly don't know if that's true or not,

It`s a sort of royalty system for writers. By no means a fortune but a writer that comes up with an original character is entitled to a bit of money whenever that character is used again, in their own episode or by another writer. This show had so many showrunner and writer shifts and lots of original characters by old writers have been killed off so it doesn`t matter much.

If the witch twins return for example, Steve Yockey will always get a cut now. As long as he is with the show, it is therefore in his best interest not to have them killed off permanently.   

• Love 1

Heh. I'm not sure where this should so I'm putting it here. It's not about fanfiction per se. It's not actual media. It's about the show so it really shouldn't go in the small talk thread....if this is the wrong place, can someone tell me where it should go?

I just got a kick of it.

• Love 3
(edited)
24 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Maybe it's a coincidence of timing but Robbie announced he was leaving SPN a year to the day after Charlie was killed off. That might have just been the end of his contract and nothing more.

I read somewhere, I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, that the writer who creates a character gets paid residuals whenever that character's likeness is used, which I honestly don't know if that's true or not, but if it is from a REALLY cynical POV, maybe that's why Charlie was killed off and that's why Singer's wife killed the character. I think Robbie probably refused to kill the character.

I know I blame Sera, Jeremy Carver and even Dabb for some terrible decisions but the common denominator in the show from Day 1 is Robert Singer, who lately has been referred to as a writer as well. I feel like maybe he has a lot more creative control than is obvious. 

It might have been a coincidence but he didn't need to announce it all really until the end of the season (He tweeted it the next morning after Don't Call Me Shurley).  He specifically chose that day to tweet his departure.

I think that Eugenie might have the control more than Singer does.

Edited by Casseiopeia

Based on Robbie Thompson's tweeting habits, I don't get the sense he has any ill will for the show. My understanding was his contract was up and decided to move on instead of renewing his contract. Which for a show just ending it's 11th season, sounds like a smart move to me. Plus, as I recall, Robbie was rumored to be working on a TV adaption of his Silk series at the time.

19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I totally hold Singer responsible a lot of the nonsense simply because what issues I do have with the show have been there through all the showrunners and he's the common denominator.

I think he's referred to as a writer because he has helped write some scripts and helps steer the writing. In fact, I believe he started out as a writer--not on this show, but started his career as a writer. It seems like that featurette they did in S7 "Directing the Supernatural" (or something like that) Singer said he started out as a writer and got into directing because he didn't always like how his scripts were realized. Anyway, I know he helped Jeremy Carver write his first episode on the show; Sin City.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I think that Eugenie might have the control more than Singer does.

Hard to say. Eugenie wasn't with the show the entire time Singer has been. She and Buckner wrote the Racist Ghost Truck episode and not another episode until s7 with shut up Dr Phil and then in s8 she wrote more often and is listed as a consulting producer as of s8 and is now an EP. So I think between s1 and s8 she was likely not involved. She wasn't a producer or anything.

I think NOW she may have more influence that before since she is a writer and producer but I don't think it was always that way.

Edited by catrox14
corrected my facts.
2 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Based on Robbie Thompson's tweeting habits, I don't get the sense he has any ill will for the show. My understanding was his contract was up and decided to move on instead of renewing his contract. Which for a show just ending it's 11th season, sounds like a smart move to me. Plus, as I recall, Robbie was rumored to be working on a TV adaption of his Silk series at the time.

I totally hold Singer responsible a lot of the nonsense simply because what issues I do have with the show have been there through all the showrunners and he's the common denominator.

I think he's referred to as a writer because he has helped write some scripts and helps steer the writing. In fact, I believe he started out as a writer--not on this show, but started his career as a writer. It seems like that featurette they did in S7 "Directing the Supernatural" (or something like that) Singer said he started out as a writer and got into directing because he didn't always like how his scripts were realized. Anyway, I know he helped Jeremy Carver write his first episode on the show; Sin City.

I agree, I haven't gotten the impression that he has ill feelings for the show, or TPTB.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Hard to say. Eugenie wasn't with the show the entire time Singer has been. She and Buckner wrote the Racist Ghost Truck episode and not another episode until s7 with shut up Dr Phil and then in s8 she wrote more often and is listed as a consulting producer as of s8 and is now an EP. So I think between s1 and s8 she was likely not involved. She wasn't a producer or anything.

I think NOW she may have more influence that before since she is a writer and producer but I don't think it was always that way.

I agree since S8 she has had a lot more influence.  I think Sera was saddled with Glass.  Kripke was blessed with a plethora of excellent writers and directors...most notably Kim Manners.

When Singer and Glass stepped down in S10 I thought the quality of the show greatly improved.  It was only when Dabb took over (and Singer was forced to unretire) at the end of 11 that the show abruptly changed course.

23 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I agree Robbie loves the fans, the cast and the other writers.  I don't think he holds a grudge at all but I do think killing Charlie made the decision to move on a lot easier.

(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I didn't read it that way. :)

quoting myself

I didn't read it as the ONLY source either but more that they  are placing more value on the feedback from congoers than other sources.

Hopefully, Sue will pop back around for more clarification :)

Clarification on initial remarks:

- First, all the videos are conveniently here: Sweet On Dean
- Second, the writers do not go to the conventions (although some did pop in to the Burbank one). So ACTUAL influence on writing from conventions is unclear.
- Third, the influence on Jensen (although he said "we" so, I think he was including J2M2 in this) was specifically called out to be conventions.  This makes sense coming from Jensen.  Jensen likely doesn't read the 20K tweets sent to him.  I think Jared HAS definitely read the Facebook comments as he's talked about it.  Not sure he's read anything on twitter.  That stuff flys by VERY rapidly.  
- Fourth, at conventions I think there is probably MORE feedback that comes from the auto/photos than M&Gs although the M&Gs have had him actually dialog with the fans vs just answer a question. Like, he'll seek clarification or ask a question back. Now the reason I suggesting that there's more feedback from the one-on-one in the lines is because when you have 250 people get your autograph immediately after "Regarding Dean" airs and half of the people make a positive comment about the performance -- that's feedback he's likely to remember.  It's all a normal byproduct of the fan interaction.  THAT is more likely to have impact than a single question at a M&G. But truthfully, I've heard them all say something to the equivalent of "that's an interesting thought, I'll have to think about it".  So the ARE listening.  And no one asks the "pranks" question in a M&G. 

Opinion:
- This is feedback mostly to actors, I think the writers get their feedback from standard locations like SM & media reviews.
- They are at 14-16 conventions a year. Meeting roughly 2,000 - 4,000 fans at each one.  That's somewhere between 40,000-50,000 people.  Even if some are repeat people, it'll well over 30,000 people.  That's a pretty large sample size when it comes to fan feedback.  Now clearly, these are fans who mostly LIKE the show.  There are fans who may like one element more than others (your BiBros, your Destiellers, your Sastielers, etc...) but it's a pretty big mix of people.  It does not bother me in the SLIGHTEST if they are not exposed to the people who do nothing but bitch about the show.  Clearly there are many fans who LIKE the show and don't go to conventions.  Those fans should write LETTERS.  They actually read their mail.  And I suspect THOSE may have more influence than anything else.  Often at a convention, a fan will have gathered a few hundred letters from fans (most of whom are not there) and bound them in a book for one of the boys for their birthday.  I've heard comments from Jensen, Jared and Cliff that they READ those.  
- I've heard on multiple occasions, both Jared and Jensen say that the conventions "fuel them". They are getting a ton of 'we love you' feels from people about the show and the impact on their lives.  Jensen himself has said he used to be really uncomfortable and now he's much more open.  (See fear discussion at either Conan O'Brien or Hall H... can't remember).  

ETA: Or what DittyDotDot said in far fewer words.

Again, want to influence, write them.  Here's the addresses (from Superwiki):

Supernatural Cast & Crew 

Please be aware if you don't instruct couriers you will cover customs/duty on shipments the studio can't accept delivery.

Supernatural Films Inc.
8085 Glenwood Drive
Burnaby, B.C.
V3N 5C8
Canada

The writing team of Supernatural 

c/o Holly Ollis
Warner Bros Television
4000 Warner Blvd
Bldg 140.
Burbank, CA 91522

I have used BOTH and know for a fact that my package was received at both locations.  And they knew who it was from. 

So... IMO, everyone has an equal shot at getting to the writers for as little as 49 cents.  The cast/crew for a little more.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 4

As for the writers... most were at the convention but not generally formally interacting with fandom.  I spoke to Robbie Thompson at his Marvel Comic booth (there was no line so we chatted) and Bobo Berens while waiting for the Hall H panel to start.

Robbie - I asked about any chance of him coming back and there was a "no". He LOVES the fandom but he's super busy doing other things and he feels he's moved on in life.  He's written at least 3 different comic titles and might be interested in a feature script someday.  Again, he LOVES fandom.  He LOVES the show.  No rancor remotely indicated..

Bobo - A super nice guy. Talked about the rough feedback from the "bloodbath" and that it's a good team of writers (I said this, not him). Told him I missed Robbie (they are friends).  They are very excited about S13 and were super pumped to be at Comic Con.  This is where they get the fan exposure (not formally but they are in the room). 

Got pics with those two as well as Brianna, Gen, Ruth, and Alaina. 

What that COST me... $40 for a Sunday ticket and sitting/sleeping in line from 3 in the afternoon on Saturday.  Totally worth it to me. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

She and Buckner were credited as story editors, so, yeah, they were there. I think Kripke and Gamble did a better job of containing them, though. Although, I think Dabb is doing better than Carver in that regard since their episodes this season were surprisingly watchable for me...for the most part, anyway.

I've never been to a con, although I enjoy watching the panels on YouTube.  I've heard very few questions or comments that were critical of specific episodes or plot lines - the one big exception being when Carver was asked about Charlie at Comic Con.  Do those kinds of things come out in meet and greets?  If all the actors ever hear is how great things are, how balanced is their understanding of what works and what doesn't?  Of course, maybe it doesn't matter anyway, since for the most part they seem disinclined to interfere in the overall story lines.   Just wondering.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Wynne88 said:

I've never been to a con, although I enjoy watching the panels on YouTube.  I've heard very few questions or comments that were critical of specific episodes or plot lines - the one big exception being when Carver was asked about Charlie at Comic Con.  Do those kinds of things come out in meet and greets?  If all the actors ever hear is how great things are, how balanced is their understanding of what works and what doesn't?  Of course, maybe it doesn't matter anyway, since for the most part they seem disinclined to interfere in the overall story lines.   Just wondering.

Probably for the actors, it's more positive feedback than anything, but I also imagine they see enough of social media to know there are plenty of disgruntled fans out there too. I would imagine most the con goers realize Jared and Jensen aren't coming up with the storylines and can't really comment on some aspects so it would be a waste of time to ask them why they did X, Y or Z. Those are questions for writers and producers not the actors, IMO.

But on the rare occasions a writer or producer gets up on stage, there does seem to be more critical questioning. I remember Bob and Eugenie joining Jared and Jensen on stage once shortly after Charlie was killed and, well, I don't think it was a positive experience for either of them. Singer has been invited on to stage with Jared and Jensen a few times and the tenor of the questions seem to immediately shift.

The thing about the Meet & Greets is, it's not just fans asking questions and the guest replying; they actually get to have dialogue back and forth, I'd bet they get critical questions framed in a polite fashion. So I do think Jared and Jensen probably get a decent dose of positive and negative feedback, it's just not as raw and unchecked as what gets passed around on social media.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

She and Buckner were credited as story editors, so, yeah, they were there.

Thanks for that clarification. I'm not sure exactly what story editors do for a writer but I'll take that to the PTB thread

2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

It`s a sort of royalty system for writers. By no means a fortune but a writer that comes up with an original character is entitled to a bit of money whenever that character is used again, in their own episode or by another writer. This show had so many showrunner and writer shifts and lots of original characters by old writers have been killed off so it doesn`t matter much.

If the witch twins return for example, Steve Yockey will always get a cut now. As long as he is with the show, it is therefore in his best interest not to have them killed off permanently.   

Do you have a source for this?

58 minutes ago, Wynne88 said:

DittyDotDot got it right (again).  For example, a couple of years ago there was this one woman (who I think goes to many M&G) and she phrased her comment along the lines of "does Dean know his feelings matter too?" -- something which implied a criticism that his feelings were not as well discussed between characters.  And Jensen handled it deftly (IMO) saying Dean wouldn't think of it that way.  Dean would rather focus on Sam than himself. Although I have no ACTUAL knowledge, I suspect Jensen would NOT provide that feedback to the writers.  First, he prefers action over 'feels' and second, it was vague.  The questioner made it clear she was worried about Dean not getting enough support. His response was that Dean didn't feel like he wasn't supported.  

And yes, IMO they don't seem to interfere unless it looks out of character -- as last week they referenced a Singer directed episode where they switched the lines between Sam and Dean because it felt more natural.  

They're not stupid.  They do get the general buzz of what went 'flat' and what played well.  They don't necessarily see the characters the way every fans does -- there's no 'unified' opinion on just about anything so how could they? They are (IMO) actual fans of the show.  

As for Carver at Comic Con ... I was there for that one too.  THAT feedback was noted and stuck IMO.  The boys backing away from the table and leaving Carver to the wolves... i.e. the fans who BOOO'd his answer... was pretty memorable.  An actual fist-pump moment for me. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, SueB said:

First, he prefers action over 'feels' and second, it was vague.  The questioner made it clear she was worried about Dean not getting enough support. His response was that Dean didn't feel like he wasn't supported.

Taking my reply to the Dean thread ...at some point. LOL

Do you have a source for this?

Someone who works in the business explained it to me. But you can go to the "Residuals Survival Guide" of the WGA (sorry, for some reason I can`t get the link to work, you`d have to google it) and scroll pretty far down to the section titled "character payment". It lays out the details. Of course it needs to be a fully realized original character, that is, not a glorified extra, to qualify.   

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 5

Moved from Spoiler and Spec thread! Nothing spoilery for those who don't read them. 

4 minutes ago, BlueSapphire said:

Yeah, so not interested in Ty Olsson coming back, because of his annoying character and his behavior at some past cons which led to him getting banned. 

I totally agree about Benny! But I hadn't heard anything about misconduct on Ty Olsson's part at conventions? What exactly is he said to have done? 

Apparently he showed up intoxicated to some of his panels at a few Creation cons about four years ago and also asked for more alcohol and was generally obnoxious and unprofessional.  Supposedly he also touched and kissed some female con-goers inappropriately.  He said he felt he may have been roofied  and somehow Richard Speight Jr. got mixed up in the whole thing also, although I can't remember what Richard did. Ty was then banned from attending any more Creation cons after VegasCon 2014 (I think that was the one where the supposed drugging occurred). 

31 minutes ago, BlueSapphire said:

He said he felt he may have been roofied  and somehow Richard Speight Jr. got mixed up in the whole thing also, although I can't remember what Richard did.

I believe Richard was supposedly the one supplying him with all the alcohol. I don't really know what all was going on, but Ty's response about possibly getting roofied sounded fishy to me. I like Ty, but at the time I thought it would've been smarter of him to just say he drank to much, behaved inappropriately and he was sorry for any offense. Even if he really did think he was roofied.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, BlueSapphire said:

Apparently he showed up intoxicated to some of his panels at a few Creation cons about four years ago and also asked for more alcohol and was generally obnoxious and unprofessional.  Supposedly he also touched and kissed some female con-goers inappropriately.  He said he felt he may have been roofied  and somehow Richard Speight Jr. got mixed up in the whole thing also, although I can't remember what Richard did. Ty was then banned from attending any more Creation cons after VegasCon 2014 (I think that was the one where the supposed drugging occurred). 

Thanks for the information! My Benny issues aside, hopefully they won't bring him back if he has been known to show up to work occasions drunk. I'm referring to the previous occasions and not the day he claimed to be roofied. I'm not going to pass any judgement there since we don't know what happened. 

Coming off a very strong development season, with all six CW pilots going to series — five on the network and one on Netflix — the network does not plan to do less development. The plan is to buy around forty scripts and do about six pilots, the average number it has done in the past few years. The CW already has one pilot set — Supernatural spinoff Wayward Sisters, a planted spinoff, which will be introduced in a Supernatural episode.

Speaking of Supernatural, which is entering its “Bar Mitzvah” thirteenth season, Pedowitz preemptively answered, without being asked, the perennial question about how long the genre drama would go. “As long as the boys want to do it and the ratings hold, it will go,” Pedowitz said.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1