Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Heaven and Earth

Athena
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Actually, as I’ve been told, if you post  in the book talk threads, you are not allowed to even post in the non-book talk threads.

And I have never even clicked on the "unsullied" tab.   (ETA:  oops, confused Outlander with GoT apparently, but the sentiment still applies.)

I've posted maybe 3 times or so, but used only facts directly from the show.  And I think at least one post was completely unrelated, about Black Sails.  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
12 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Actually, as I’ve been told, if you post  in the book talk threads, you are not allowed to even post in the non-book talk threads.

12 hours ago, Cloudberryjam said:

Yes, i was told the same 

I will address this in thread for now. In general, mod discussions should be PMed to mods in the forums.

We are slowly transitioning to allow book readers to one day post in the non book threads similar to the Game of Thrones forum. However, we still discourage it for the same reason that @toolazy mentioned. It is VERY easy to spoil the No Book posters because the books have a lot more information and influences how book poster watch the show. As the show progresses, I am less worried about big spoilers and more open to allowing more book posters in the other thread.

What will continue to be an issue is any posts or discussion which steer the non book posters thinking a certain way. This is subjective but better safe than sorry. As book posters, we have way more information and perspective about the plot and characters than they do so it colours our interpretation. It is not fair to Show Only posters.

We have allowed certain "Just the facts" posts but posts are still routinely hidden in the No Book Talk threads. We know that posters can't help themselves but please be careful. This is why we simply think it is best to not even go in there.

Back to the episode topic. If you want more information, please PM me. Thank you.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Athena said:

I will address this in thread for now. In general, mod discussions should be PMed to mods in the forums.

Thank you for the great explanation, and for running a great forum!  I completely understand that you want to address most matters via PM, but I appreciate that you posted publicly to clarify because some of us (maybe only speaking for myself here, but I don't think so) have been confused lately.  Thanks again!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Athena said:

We are slowly transitioning to allow book readers to one day post in the non book threads similar to the Game of Thrones forum. However, we still discourage it for the same reason that @toolazy mentioned. It is VERY easy to spoil the No Book posters because the books have a lot more information and influences how book poster watch the show. As the show progresses, I am less worried about big spoilers and more open to allowing more book posters in the other thread.

What will continue to be an issue is any posts or discussion which steer the non book posters thinking a certain way. This is subjective but better safe than sorry. As book posters, we have way more information and perspective about the plot and characters than they do so it colours our interpretation. It is not fair to Show Only posters.

We have allowed certain "Just the facts" posts but posts are still routinely hidden in the No Book Talk threads. We know that posters can't help themselves but please be careful. This is why we simply think it is best to not even go in there.

Back to the episode topic. If you want more information, please PM me. Thank you.

I really appreciate you posting here.  I'm still very new, and the last thing I want to do is break any rules or post when I shouldn't.  I really appreciate having this board at all (love talking about Outlander), so it's very important to me to be clear on the guidelines.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

I have to say, this is probably one of my most loved episodes this season. It hit all the feels, and moved at a steady pace. It didn't feel rushed or too slow! 

I'm late to the game, but I'm going to comment anyways, and I'll read through everyone's posts afterwards, just because that's what I feel like doing! Ha! 

Bits I noticed. 

The bit of bagpipe tune playing as they took Jamie below deck. That hit me right in the gut! One last hurrah for Scotland before we reach the Colonies and Jamaica. 

Loving the new intro music theme, the more that I hear it! It's a lovely tune, and opening credits still make me smile and give me goosebumps. Thumbs up Outlander team. 

So many gross fluids on deck, bleck! Did we really need to see all of that? 

Mr Pound is adorable, I want to pinch his cheeks, anyone else!? Teehee! I love that everyone has to listen to this young boy give orders, and that he has pride in telling them they must listen to what Claire needs. He's definitely looking out for her! Oh Elias Pound. 

So I was confused about this in the promo for the episode, but seeing the whole scene I can hand wave and live with it: Jamie tells fergus he'll give his blessing if he helps him take the ship... a test to see if he really loves Marsali? Will Fergus really do anything for love? Or is Jamie just being selfish ??‍♀️

Glad to see that this turns out for the better in the end. 

Loving that Fergus and Marsali found another way to free Jamie, yay! I didn't like him while he was inside the "jail." He definitely wasn't on his Jamie A-game. He knows Claire would want him to get to Jamaica to find Ian, no? 

Elias pound was perfect for me. I think that part was very well cast. Was that "mother" line in the book? I love that they incorporated that bit in. So sweet, and so moving. Yes, I cried. No, I'm not ashamed. 

Gah! Claire almost got away initially!  And I started to like Captain Leonard. Not so much anymore ? I'm glad they kept the bit with Claire jumping overboard! I've been waiting to see that scene! 

I really loved this episode, aside from the fact Jamie was locked up. But I'll hand wave that, because I enjoyed the rest of it on the Porpoise so much! 

Hurray for Outlander! And hurray for finally making land, all this sailing is making me reminisce some Pirates of the Caribbean ?

On 2017-11-19 at 7:53 AM, WatchrTina said:

As a reader I was cringing all over the place because I did't like what happened on board the Artemis after Claire was taken.  It had to be new -- we couldn't see it in the book because we were locked in Claire's point of view -- so I have to get over the fact that they went "off book."  And I guess I can well imagine that Jamie WOULD have gone a bit crazy, coming up with an unworkable plan (a mutiny with 6 people vs. 20) just to make the Artemis sail faster toward an impossible confrontation.  As I sit here and type these words (knowing now that in the end Fergus and Marsali worked together to get Jamie released -- so yay team Fersali) I'm coming to accept that the episode makes sense in the end.  But damn, I was suffering a through the middle.

People have criticized this show by saying that Jamie is too perfect.  Well, here's an episode where he's not.  His emotions get the better of him -- he's making poor decisions.  It's up to Fergus and Marsali to save him from himself (and to save Marsali from ending up at the mercy of the crew.) That's probably a realistic imagining of how Jamie-gone-mad WOULD have behaved.  And thank goodness they (the writers) saved it by having Fergus refuse Jamie's offer (to swap his "blessing" for being set free.)  Now we (or at least *I*) love Fergus even more -- both for holding out when he could have bedded Marsali and for plotting a course through this difficult situation that was both smart and honorable.

YES. THIS. 

I cringe every bloody episode because I generally cannot STAND most of the changes they make. I suffered this season in trying to watch the show for the show, and forget about the buik. But it's just too damn hard! I'm generally always snarking on what I didn't like about buik deviations.

I'm relieved that I'm not alone in feeling this way. I think this is the first episode I've been able to watch, without trying to focus too much on the buik, and I'm cool with most of the changes they made. There was too much plot/story line on the Porpoise, and I think they did a great job shifting things this episode, so that it made more sense and was smoother. 

I agree with with your points on the Jamie perspective. The next time we see him in the buik, after Claire leave the Artemis, is he is posing as an officer (or general? Or something) to trick others into helping them restore the Artemis, and Claire is hiding in the bushes with Marsali. So I'm happy he got some screen time here, and of course the man would lose it! He's been separated from the love of his life for 20 years, finally they're back together, but can't share a cabin, then a British ship takes off with her full off 400 men that have typhoid disease. And he's not even sure he'll see her again. So yes. I can live with this change.  The one thing that threw me was that he would know Claire would want him to keep looking for Ian. But, whatever. ??

I also suffered through the middle! My heart couldn't take the tension between Jamie and Fergus. It was enough thinking about poor Elias Pound dying on screen, as if it wasn't enough to know it was going to bloody well happen from the buik. Cue the ugly crying. 

On 2017-11-20 at 0:00 PM, Nidratime said:

I don't recall Claire using the penicillin on herself, but she does use it on someone else besides Jamie ... and that would be Young Ian. 

She uses it on herself after she nearly bleeds to death from being slashed by a pirate... that's when the whole Turtle Soup happens! She gets Jamie to do it, but he chickens out so she does r herself. Her hand slips and Jamie jumps to the rescue and finishes the job. The last bit of penicillin she uses on Ian, once they've found him, and discovered Geillies drugged him and had sex with him. She doesn't want Ian to end up with any diseases. Hopefully I'm not too fuzzy on these details. 

Side note!! 

Love the rabbit references that was mentioned in the post show chat! 

On 11/19/2017 at 9:39 AM, thesparkinside said:

And thank God *Fergus* kept his head, because bloody Jamie telling him to try to incite a mutiny . . . Jesus. That would be a sure death sentence because it almost certainly wouldn't work. And for what? So they could catch up with Claire, when they're going to meet up with her in Jamaica anyway? Jesus, Jamie, way to bring down everyone with you for no really good reason. And yes, he's worried about Claire being alone on a ship with 300 men, but I think getting yourself, Fergus, and probably some other men killed isn't the best way to try to help her. She wasn't in imminent danger, really--just in a place where there *might* be some danger.

Anyway, I was really glad to see the photographs come out again, and I loved poor Elias Pound. That kid was great--heartbreaking, too. He was trying so hard. I didn't like the way Claire yelled at him about licking the grog off his fingers. Lay off, Claire. He has no idea what germs are or why you're doing what you're doing. Take it easy. She did treat him much better in other scenes. I was really pleased to see them develop the relationship between Fergus and Marsali. They're cute and a good team. And the goat-lady (sorry, can't recall how to spell her name) was really cool, too. I like how secondary characters are competent and are helpful, whereas in many shows it's all The Hero doing Hero Things and the rest of the world is just kind of there.

I really did love all the seafaring details.

Overall, a great episode.

Funny to watch this during the COVID19 crisis.  We need Claire.  

Jamie's plan was ridiculous.  They were going to meet in Jamaica.   The 300 men were mostly sick or busy following her orders.  The cook was a jerk, but Claire handled him.  It was quite amazing how they listened to her.  She was telling them to do things they had no experience of and no other ship surgeon would ever have done.  Lucky for them that they listened.  

I cried a small bit when Elias died and Claire told him she was his other.  And was his final friend to stitch him through the nose.  Only 14 and a short, tough life.  And he was a good assistant.  

The goat lady was so kind, too.  

Jamie looking at the photos was good.