Type keyword(s) to search

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed this, Andrew Garfield may be the best Spider-Man to date.  The extra scene in the middle of the end credits kind of threw me, though.  Was that an ad, or a hint at the next Spidey movie?

My understanding is the mid credits scene was a scene from the new X-men movie. Some sort of cross studio deal. Very strange.

I had really low expectations for this movies but I enjoyed it even less than I thought I would. I actually defended the first ASM from some of it's detractors as well.

+Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield continue to be more charming than KD/TM. 

+Clock tower sequence. Even though I knew how it would end, I was still super invested during it.

-Parts of the score were REALLY distracting to me. Hans went super heavy on the horns for dramatic build up. That "for youuuu" song in the middle of the film seemed so out of place to me.

-Two villains, but neither are compelling. Electro in particular has some really cheesy dialogue. Something about birthday cake and candles? Non-Gwen+Peter plot lines weren't interesting in the slightest. Sooo much Richard Parker screen time. 

-Spidey-action wasn't as fun as the first film. He didn't get to showcase his acrobatic fighting style against a villain made of electricity. That final teaser scene against the Rhino had more impressive spidey action than the rest of the film. 

-Some sloppy CG/green screen work. The background when they're on top of the bridge in particular looks terrible.

Complaints only I care about:

*No Gwen Stacy headband.

*Gwen's polkadot pants at Oscorp.

*Harry's feminine scarf.

• Love 1

I liked it though it did have some flaws but some reviews have been really terrible. I don't think its as bad as some are saying. Andrew and Emma have great chemistry on screen which is rare for a real life couple. As a comic reader I have know about Gwen's death for years but I was not sure if they would actually go through with it or not. 

I found Electro to be a joke. He reminded me too much of the Riddler in Batman Forever and then I thought of Dr.Manhatten. The music they played when he was attacking Times Square was odd. 

I liked Harry and thought the actor did a good job. It was cool to see Felicia and I look forward to seeing more of her in the 3rd one. 

I wasn't very impressed with this film.  I do think that Andrew Garfield is wonderful as Peter Parker/Spiderman and I liked Emma Stone enough, however, they weren't enough to over come the flaws of the film.

I thought the last scene with Gwnen's fall was very well executed and it closely mirrored the comics - I didn't appreciate the numerous anvils that film dropped regarding Gwen's fate.

I did like the little boy stepping up to be Spiderman when Spiderman wasn't around.

Did anyone else say "I think you might want six members" when Harry said he was looking for a "small group"?  Okay, just me then.

Dane DeHaan is an incredible talent and I like his contribution to the movie (even if I did think the film spent too little time on the Peter-Harry friendship and allowed Harry to devolve into Green Goblin too quickly).  He is an incredibly talented actor and as an aside, he really needs to do a film with Leonardo DiCaprio. 

Personally I didn't enjoy the constant banter Spiderman engaged in while in his suit - one or two quips were fine, the constant commentary was a bit much.

Electro was pretty lame.  I thought Jamie Foxx played him a bit too much like a flat, cartoon villain; I didn't buy his reason for disliking Spiderman and taking down the city.  Also, I thought the crowd reactions to the showdown in Time Square were off - in what world would people stand around and CHEER when a blue man begins throwing electric blots around?

Oh so many daddy issues this film.

A lot of the music reminded me very much of classic Superman.

So, if FOX owns the movie rights to X-Men and Sony owns the movie rights to Spiderman, how was Spiderman able to add that 30 second clip from X-Men: Days of Future Past?

My review? ASM2 is not just better than ASM, but it blows it out of the water in just about every way, so much so I think it's even surpassed the Avengers in many ways. The characters are brilliantly written, the feel and character personalities closely mirror the comics especially the Ultimates version, the actors are great in their roles, the character's motivations make perfect sense, the plot feel natural, instead of that "3 act structure" crap that so many call the epitome of good writing when it's actually terrible, (note: real life is pretty disjointed and chaotic, it's buildup to action to more action to buildup to nothing happening to action out of nowhere etc. and plots should follow that) the action was great while the CGI did a good job of not looking fake, and it didn't get bogged down every other scene by lovey dovey scenes (they were there yes, but they didn't dominate the whole movie like with the 3 Raimi movies) nor did they make just about all the motivation for everything Peter did especially fighting the super villains be about impressing or rescuing the girl like the Sam Raimi movies did. Also, once again just like the previous movie the damned love interest actually DOES something besides get kidnapped and used as a hostage, and doesn't go out of her way to cause problems, despite how she ends up at the end.

I actually liked Gwen's death scene better than the one in the original comics because the writers made it so that she died more or less the same way she did in the comics, but the "Spidey shoots a web and breaks Gwen's neck" scene was done in such a way that he literally had few if any other options at the time nor the time to think up one unlike the original comics scene. Probably the only thing in the movie that I didn't like was the fact that they went with the utter predictability of killing her off when anybody who knows ANYTHING about Gwen Stacy knows about that. Having Gwen NOT die would have been much more surprising.

One last thing, I'll say it, Andrew Garfield is the best person to portray both Spider-Man and Peter Parker since the 90's animated series. He makes horrible quips constantly as Spider-Man as the character should but knows when to drop it and get serious, and as Peter Parker is delightfully awkward and bumbling around other people but not to a ridiculously played up extent like the Raimi movies were. Probably the most important though, is that whether as Spider-Man or Peter, Andrew Garfield actually sounds like he cares about what's going on, while this Spider-Man KNOWS HOW TO HAVE FUN and not worry too much about his problems, which to be fair he doesn't have much of yet. With Tobey Maguire either because of bad acting or just because he just naturally sounds like that he never sounds like he gives a damn about what is going on or like he's so depressed he's 2 minutes from cutting his wrists, even when his face emotes his voice doesn't.

• Love 1

The characters are brilliantly written, the feel and character personalities closely mirror the comics especially the Ultimates version, the actors are great in their roles, the character's motivations make perfect sense, the plot feel natural, instead of that "3 act structure" crap that so many call the epitome of good writing when it's actually terrible. 

I could not disagree more. I found the performances fine, but the characters were written terribly and the pacing was all over the place. The whole thing is just a series of set pieces strung together. There was no cohesive theme. Electro had no place in that movie. The godawful airplane scene had no place in that movie. Electro and Harry switch from normal to super-villain mode in no time at all. Compared with the build up of Doc Oc in Spider-Man 2, their motivations felt so rushed and irrational. 

knows when to drop it and get serious, and as Peter Parker is delightfully awkward and bumbling around other people

I agree that Garfield is better as Spider-Man, but I don't care for him as Peter Parker. I can't think of a scene where he doesn't come off as awkward or bumbling (the scene at Oscorp is an obvious act.) Garfield plays PP the same way he does Spidey. Confident and cool and kind of a jerkass. 

Every time I hear a positive review of this movie I despise it a little more.  Luckily I came across Film Crit Hulk's review and it evened out the scales a bit. He seemed to despise it even more than me. Three highlights:

SERIOUSLY, WHY WOULD ANYONE TAKE TWO WHOLE MOVIES (AT A NEAR FIVE HOURS OF TOTAL RUN-TIME) TO BUILD TO A DRAMATIC POINT WHERE YOUR HERO NEEDS TO LEARN SOMETHING, THEN NOT ACTUALLY SHOW THEM LEARN IT, THEN SKIP OVER THE HEAVY LIFTING OF ACTUAL CHARACTER CHANGES IN LITERALLY TWO MINUTES, WHILE NOT LETTING US KNOW IF HE'S EVEN CHANGED OR DEALING WITH FUCKING ANY OF IT, THEN RUSHING THROUGH ANY SEMBLANCE OF WHAT THAT ALL COULD HAVE MEANT BY FOCUSING ON ANOTHER POINT ENTIRELY, AND ENDING YOUR MOVIE ON THAT RUSHED OTHER POINT?

DID SPIDER-MAN REALLY STOP DURING AN ACTION SCENE COMPLETE WITH PEOPLE IN DANGER TO PUT ON A FIREHAT?

WHY DOES GWEN STACY GIVE A WEIRDLY INAPPROPRIATE GRADUATION SPEECH ABOUT DARKNESS AND HOPE THAT ONLY MAKES SENSE IF SHE DIES?

That last one really bothered me. 

One thing that really struck me is that this film suffered from things the first film failed to do. Peter working at the Bugle is needed for the plot, so suddenly he's just working there, despite it never being mentioned in the first film. And all the stuff about his parents should have been there too, as here they feel shoehorned into an already bloated and weirdly paced mix of subplots that have nothing to do with them.

I'm also quite amused that 

both films feature a big speech by a character where it honestly seems like they've read the script and know they're going to die soon.

• Love 1

+ Peter continues to do experiments with the web shooters, and hilarity ensues! Yay science!

That "for youuuu" song in the middle of the film seemed so out of place to me.

Oh I know! Maybe it's because I've heard it too many times already in that trailer for the movie "Delivery Man". I can't take that song seriously ever again.

Personally I didn't enjoy the constant banter Spiderman engaged in while in his suit - one or two quips were fine, the constant commentary was a bit much.

That's my favorite thing about Spidey, though. The cracking jokes constantly and the way he can get back to having fun again even after bad things happen. It's what differentiates him from Batman. As much fun as the Raimi trilogy was, I was dissatisfied with Spidey not mocking his adversaries nearly enough.

nor did they make just about all the motivation for everything Peter did especially fighting the super villains be about impressing or rescuing the girl like the Sam Raimi movies did.

There seems to be so many complaints about the romance being too "Twilight", and I just don't see it, and you've nailed down exactly why. Everything Peter Parker did, did not revolve around his love interest. The romance was way more intrusive in the Raimi movies.

Okay, I was a bit squicked by him secretly following Gwen around "sometimes more than once a day" after they broke up. That was disturbingly Twilight-esque. But that was the only thing. Stalker much? *shudder*

I've also heard the complaints about this Peter Parker being kind of a jerk. But I thought Tobey Mcguire's Peter Parker was more of a jerk, all things considered. I guess the exaggerated dorkiness make him seem like more of a "nice guy" on the surface, but he wasn't really that nice. And it's kind of the opposite thing happening with Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker. The hipster styling is associated with smug jerks, but the character in the movies has actually been nicer to people and less whiny than the previous Peter Parker.

(edited)

I agree with most of the points in the links with regards to problems with the movie.
It was a hot mess - but an action-packed, loud, extravagant mess, and so disjointed that it was hard to pinpoint an exact reason for all the messiness because it came from every direction.   

Peter/Spider-Man was a mess. I would have liked an awkward, shy Peter who put on a mask and the anonymity allowed him to be a  jerky, wise-cracking Spider-Man. But Peter was also a jerky wise-ass. His grand entrance at the high school graduation said it all -- he acted like the class super-star. And he didn't bother to help out his poor Aunt May who was struggling to pay bills with two jobs. He was too busy playing superhero and doing experiments in the basement and wooing Gwen.

And when Spider-Man was 'stopping' the hijacking at the beginning of the move : he was prolonging the capture to play games with the driver ... as if blissfully unaware that the truck and 20+ police cars were barreling through crowded intersections, pedestrians, etc. 

The villains were a totally different type of mess - no logical motivation or believe-able reasons for hating Spider-Man. They seemed to be there mostly because a Spider-Man movie needs two to three villains per installment. 

Also a mess : Peter's parents' secret science-spy life, the fight on the plane at the beginning of the movie and the desperate effort to get a message out to ..? Peter?... And then the Hogwart's subway car of science. Who built that? Who created such an elaborate Batcave-like hiding mechanism? 

In truth, we enjoyed watching the movie. It is only when thinking about it afterwards did I realize what a mess it was... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

So late to the party, but with all the news about Spiderman finally joining the MCU, I finally saw this.  I (surprisingly) enjoyed the first ASM, but this one was a real mess.  I will say that Garfield was a great Spiderman, and I disagree that he doesn't work as Peter Parker.  He can be too wisecrack-y, but he absolutely nailed the emotional notes of the film, like his conversation with Aunt May about Richard's disappearance,

his grief over Gwen's death,

and etc.  Also, the chemistry between him and Emma Stone is incredible.  Totally believable as friends, and definitely believable as a couple.  

Unfortunately, those are the only real highlights of the film.  I didn't hate Jamie Foxx as Electro (hated the Lizard more) but his transformation from Max to Electro was too abrupt.   The part when he was "hearing" voices saying that Spidey had lied to him actually made me laugh because it sounded like some bad dubstep.  Him playing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" while he trying to kill Spidey was just embarrassing, not menacing.  

Giamatti was basically a cameo.  He was clearly having fun with playing Rhino but the movie could have happened without him.  The whole Harry/Goblin plot was way too rushed, from his friendship with Peter to him becoming the Green Goblin.  And if they were continuing this series of Spiderman, I would truly hope that the Richard Parker stuff was over.  Just the mention of it killed any momentum the movie had going and only served as a hamfisted way to include Harry's plot into the film.  And the lab/subway car bit was laughable.  

Also, his mother (do we even learn her name) has absolutely nothing to do and a complete waste of Embeth Davitz.  I was hoping she might have some real involvement this time around.  The mother could have died when Peter was a baby and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

LMAO at Gwen accepting the Oxford offer and leaving for England on the same day.  It would have made more sense if she was scouting dorms or something, not actually starting summer school.  Still,

her death scene was tragic

and well-played by both actors.

I can see why this flopped.  Still, I'm disappointed that Garfield won't be in the MCU because I can absolutely see his version of Spiderman kicking ass alongside the Avengers.  There are names floating around for nuSpidey, but nothing is concrete.  Marvel and Sony can't seem to reach an agreement over the titular role.  

At any rate, I'm not looking forward to a high school Spiderman again, regardless of who they cast.  Garfield himself wasn't convincing as a high schooler, but he would be believable as a college kid or a college grad.  It's too bad that this version collapsed the way it did.

Turns out Honest Trailers didn't officially do an ASM2 take . . . Cinema Sins did. Since Homecoming is nigh, here's a reminder of what came before:

I don't remember outright hating it, but it could have been better, especially after X-Men: Days Of Future Past came out. This movie might be put into evidence for the Academy to take back the Oscar from Jamie Foxx. And the little girl at the end . . . she wanted to die, right? If this was a DC movie, I would've clapped my hands for it not sucking outright, then gave it a cookie.

• Love 1

Yeah, could have been way better. Poor Andrew Garfield was a good Spider-Man.

I so wish Honest Trailers had given one mention about Gwen Stacy being way better than the abomination Kirsten Dunst played. Your move, Zendaya!

• Love 2

Garfield's performance was good, though it took a lot of extra suspension of disbelief to ignore his crow's feet on a 30 foot movie screen and buy him as a teenager. The big problem was the writers, Jamie Foxx, and Dane DeHaan were kneecapping him at every turn.

Really?  I thought Andrew Garfield's Peter/ParkerSpider-Man was terrible.  I liked him marginally better in the second one but in the first one he came across as douchey loner guy instead of dorky outcast guy.  

• Love 1