Type keyword(s) to search

The Book Topic: Dietland by Sarai Walker

(edited)

I think that really varies from person to person. My preference is to watch the show and then read the book because that way everything in the show is new to me. I have found that when I read the book first, I notice everything in the show that was changed or cut which can be distracting or sometimes infuriating. Unfortunately, there are several books I've read that were recently turned into tv shows (Big Little Lies, Sweetbitter, and Rise) so I didn't have much choice in the matter in those instances.

But some people are the opposite of me and prefer to read the book first so they know what's going to happen. A lot of people I know had a similar dilemma with Hamilton. Some people listened to the soundtrack before seeing the show and other people went to see the show without ever listening to a single song beforehand. Mr. EB and my sister both asked me if I thought they should listen to the soundtrack before seeing the show and I wasn't sure what to tell them because it really depends on what kind of experience you want. If you go in totally blind then you get the full experience of seeing and hearing everything for the first time at the show. But some people like to be familiar with the plot and the songs beforehand so they aren't trying to discern all the lyrics while they're watching the show. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer though. It's just a matter of how you want to experience the show.

I read Dietland before I knew it was being turned into a show. But it's right in the sweet spot where it was long ago enough that I know I've forgotten a lot of the details so I may not even notice minor changes that they made for the show. For what it's worth, I thought it was a pretty good book.

The first season has only ten episodes and will end on July 30 so you still have time to make it a summer beach book if you want to wait until you've watched the show. The first episode airs on June 4 so if you want to read it before the show starts, you have three weeks!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I read Dietland before I knew it was being turned into a show. But it's right in the sweet spot where it was long ago enough that I know I've forgotten a lot of the details so I may not even notice minor changes that they made for the show. For what it's worth, I thought it was a pretty good book.

Ditto to all this.  I mainly remember finding the book surprising and occasionally outrageous in a good way.  I'm really looking forward to watching it all play out.

8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I loved the book so I'm not sure I'm going to watch the show at all.  I'll watch the first episode and decide after that.

Pls post your decision here because before this Adam Rothenberg was going to be my only reason to watch.

(edited)

I read the book when it first came out, and loved it, but  enough time has passed that I don't remember a lot of things until they happen on screen.  So far, I like the way all the characters have been portrayed.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 1

Book Plum goes through a dark patch where she steals from a lingerie shop called VS in the novel.  She lashes out at people indiscriminately who seem to be judging her about her weight.  She is not raped and does not join the Jennifers.  The only real connection she has to Jennifer is through her concern for Leeta (who got involved through her friendship with Marisol, the mother of the teenager who killed herself).  It's too bad the series decided to be more exploitative than thoughtful in Plum's journey. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't recall there being a Dominic or all of the Kitty/Stanley drama. The Jennifer story seemed to mostly take place completely separate from Plum except when it was revealed that Leeta was hiding in the wall in the Beauty Box. So very much has been added to the show, not necessarily for the better. It was an interesting book but since I'd never seen Fight Club, I couldn't say how much was inspired by it.

Edited by Linderhill
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I recall there being a Dominic or all of the Kitty/Stanley drama. The Jennifer story seemed to mostly take place completely separate from Plum except when it was revealed that Leeta was hiding in the wall in the Beauty Box. So very much has been added to the show, not necessarily for the better. It was an interesting book but since I'd never seen Fight Club, I couldn't say how much was inspired by it.

You should definitely see Fight Club. I thought it was a good flick that said something not just to men but also to women. I don't think this show is anything like it. 

• Love 1

Now that the show has ended (cancelled), can someone post how the book ended? Spoiler tag it if needed. I liked some things about the show and am intrigued that the book seems a little lower key. The show was just all over the place.