Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Unintended Consequences

• Start Topic

So, I'm surprised no one commented on Noah's grandmother's comment to Benson of "I wish Ellie had known someone like you when she was younger" (or something like that) when she was giving her the baseball glove. Ugh. It felt like the Saint Benson line of the ep... Like "If only she'd known you earlier, she'd have been saved!"

• Love 3

So much for the big deal made about Rollins going undercover.  That took up about five minutes of the episode whereas Benoahiela took up at least three times that much.  Like many of you, I can also see Grandma Brooke turning nasty in some way and probably soon, just as St Olivia is beginning to relax around her and feel it's a good idea for Noah to have his grandma in his life.  No doubt it will be drawn out and painful.  Ergh.  Still, I shouldn't complain because nobody is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to watch!

To sum up, more Fin, more Barba, more Carisi, more Rollins, more of a new detective on the cast and preferably NO Benoah.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, katisha said:

So much for the big deal made about Rollins going undercover.  That took up about five minutes of the episode whereas Benoahiela took up at least three times that much.  Like many of you, I can also see Grandma Brooke turning nasty in some way and probably soon, just as St Olivia is beginning to relax around her and feel it's a good idea for Noah to have his grandma in his life.  No doubt it will be drawn out and painful.  Ergh.  Still, I shouldn't complain because nobody is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to watch!

To sum up, more Fin, more Barba, more Carisi, more Rollins, more of a new detective on the cast and preferably NO Benoah.

Perfect!

Catching up in the UK, hooray!

Mixed feelings about this one. The whole rape aspect was virtually an add on to get SVU involved with the whole opioid epidemic sweeping the US (as we've seen many times before on the show, they're always sticking their noses into animal smuggling etc) and treatment facilities fleecing those affected. 

The Good; quite liked the social worker and the depiction of the troubled girls was good, for once the team seem to appreciate the impossible job the staff face. Amazingly I really liked the Benoah scenes, I think people are right that Brook Shields will eventually kidnap him but it will be a shame as I like the relationship developing between the 2. Fin's visit to the drugs squad was a genuinely good scene. 

The Bad; once again we have the detectives giving witnesses the 3rd degree and then wondering why they lack co-operation? Another breach of ID procedures. Also we have Olivia trying to intimidate the drug dealer in true Stabler fashion and it's pretty laughable. And of course the rich white doctor turns out to be corrupt, couldn't have a case where it was just an out of control teenager who just couldn't be helped, could we, there must always be either an easy solution or someone to blame? 

SVU cliché;

Rich white doctor is the criminal

The coroner seems to be able to distinguish between rape and the girl prostituting herself in return for drugs?

Scene I'd have liked to have seen;

A distraught family comes to the SVU and demands to know what they'll do with their wayward daughter now that the SVU has closed down the facility as no others will take them for fear of being sued and the medical insurance companies are now refusing to pay out? Then Fin's drug squad source calls them up to report several of the girls from the facility have now turned up in the morgue having OD'd. Olivia asks Barba did they do the right thing and he replies no one knows what the right thing to do is in this situation, they can only follow the law. Fin compares the crisis to the crack epidemic but Carisi counters this time it's only the junkies wiping themselves out. Rollins wonders what the world will be like in 20 years time when a whole generation of vulnerable people have effectively self-euthanized?

7/10   

• Love 8

Those are good ideas Joe. The problem is...we'd all like to see something like that but this is Benson's soap opera world and that's not how it goes: Barba would never tell Benson that because long ago he acknowledged Benson's sense of right and wrong is more right than his and her legal instincts are more finely honed than his. He doesn't follow the law, he follows where Benson tells him to go, thereby deflecting the trouble she caused by doing it wrong from the getgo with a big stinking court case. I watched (painfully) an episode last night where she got an innocent black kid tortured and killed with a nail gun because a girl cried rape and Benson cuffed him and drug him into interrogation instead of questioning him on the scene (a pizza parlor) where there were at least a dozen witnesses who could have told her the truth of it right there and the kid would have stayed alive. Because of Benson's insane actions NYPD had another innocent, dead, black teenager on their hands and it just got glossed over. She totally skated. Nobody called her on the big mess as the direct result of her wrong actions. Not how it would go in real life for sure. Your dreaming of a show where the Police, SVU, and Benson are held accountable for their screw ups and that just isn't going to happen in Benson's world. I like your ideas, but they are way too morally responsible for this soap opera. :)

• Love 2

"Benson must disclose the secrets of her past to help a rape victim recall the details of one terrible, traumatic night." From IMdB description

Oh Great, another episode that will revolve around Benson.

Edited by dttruman
Forgot to put in quotes from IMdB description
  • Love 2

The whole time I was watching I kept wondering if there would be some kind of state agency that licensed or had oversight for these kind of facilities (or at least over social workers). You know the kind of place with much broader powers that could shut it down even if no laws were actually broken.

Other than that I kept wondering why Rollins didn't make an anonymous call to the insurance company that was being scammed. An audit or civil suit from an insurance company would shut that place down fast as well.

19 hours ago, QueenMab said:

Those are good ideas Joe. The problem is...we'd all like to see something like that but this is Benson's soap opera world and that's not how it goes: Barba would never tell Benson that because long ago he acknowledged Benson's sense of right and wrong is more right than his and her legal instincts are more finely honed than his. He doesn't follow the law, he follows where Benson tells him to go, thereby deflecting the trouble she caused by doing it wrong from the getgo with a big stinking court case. I watched (painfully) an episode last night where she got an innocent black kid tortured and killed with a nail gun because a girl cried rape and Benson cuffed him and drug him into interrogation instead of questioning him on the scene (a pizza parlor) where there were at least a dozen witnesses who could have told her the truth of it right there and the kid would have stayed alive. Because of Benson's insane actions NYPD had another innocent, dead, black teenager on their hands and it just got glossed over. She totally skated. Nobody called her on the big mess as the direct result of her wrong actions. Not how it would go in real life for sure. Your dreaming of a show where the Police, SVU, and Benson are held accountable for their screw ups and that just isn't going to happen in Benson's world. I like your ideas, but they are way too morally responsible for this soap opera. :)

Someone should do a count of how many people the SVU have gotten killed without repercussion over the years, I can think of Will Truman, the folks killed in the gunfight were Stabler quits and the coffee magnate's son who gets dragged off the roof by his crazy lawyer purely because the SVU had to grandstand and have their Perry Mason moment. 

7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole time I was watching I kept wondering if there would be some kind of state agency that licensed or had oversight for these kind of facilities (or at least over social workers). You know the kind of place with much broader powers that could shut it down even if no laws were actually broken.

Other than that I kept wondering why Rollins didn't make an anonymous call to the insurance company that was being scammed. An audit or civil suit from an insurance company would shut that place down fast as well.

Thinking about it the SVU actually took the side of the insurance companies against the welfare of the girls?

• Love 1

Let's not forget about the lives/reputations SVU/Benson have publically ruined without so much as getting a good lecture from their superiors. Mr. Jackie, the kids singing coach pops into my head as the worst example. A gay, black man who teaches little kids. Benson's assumptions, blatant bigotry and total lack of any insight or intuition about the vicious little girls accusing him was appalling. So much so, she got him publically arrested and dragged through the mud in a court trial. Rollins tried to stop her but nobody stops Benson when she's on her " doing the right thing" high horse. The show was infuriating, letting Benson plow through the case without any interference. In reality, the LBGTQ community would have been asking for her big butt on a platter, and accusing NYPD of "homophobia", they would have posted his bail, and started a BIG hoopla centered on Benson. But not in "Benson's World". She goes through this whole bigoted, insane case without anybody's interference. And at the end, oh Jaysus!, instead of learning a lesson and taking her lumps, everybody tells her "you were just doing your job" ( badly) and she says she thought she was "doing the right thing" , everybody sympathizes and strokes her.....and that's it. Every time she says "you know its the right thing to do" I want to slap her, hard, repeatedly, and scream at Barba and her squad "Don't listen! She's about to lead you all down a rabbit hole full of trouble...for YOU..not her!!" One if the biggest gripes we have with this show is how the SVU and Benson can bungle, jump the gun, and falsely accuse innocent people and totally skate! And get told all the public trouble they caused is OK because Benson was convinced she was "doing the right thing".  They should rename this show "The Untouchables", because Benson apparently is.

• Love 3

This episode was such a disaster for me. Did the show EVER show the victim except on the slab? It wasn't until I rewatched the beginning, due to some confusion, that I learned the whole sequence wasn't even the victim.  When Olivia's phone rang, my first thought was "It's that damn Noah again". I didn't like Olivia's scenes with Sheila. She always looked like a jealous teenager. It is sad what her acting has become. Her behavior while interacting with the parents at the morgue was so unprofessional and wimpy. 

• Love 2

I got the same about Benson. She has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. Jealous, possessive b*tch. All sheila has left of her daughter and family and Benson acts like she doesn't have the right. And there are many posts about MH's pathetic acting "skills". The whisper, the snarl, the big boobs and cleaveage in everybody's face, and my fave, the dead eyed crazy woman with an ax stare...that she has in pretty much every scene. And the stories just seem to be backdrops now.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, QueenMab said:

I got the same about Benson. She has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. Jealous, possessive b*tch. All sheila has left of her daughter and family and Benson acts like she doesn't have the right. And there are many posts about MH's pathetic acting "skills". The whisper, the snarl, the big boobs and cleaveage in everybody's face, and my fave, the dead eyed crazy woman with an ax stare...that she has in pretty much every scene. And the stories just seem to be backdrops now.

Benson has behaved like a high school bitch for years now. She's jealous, self righteous, possessive, petty and has to have everything go her way. She plays favorites with those on her squad, she has major control issues and generally treats people like shit and is an unbearable bitch towards almost eveyrone. And MH's acting "skills" are nothing more than over the top facial expression and vocal tones while Benson intimidates and bullies people. I have a feeling a lot of Benson's personality is coming from MH's real life diva personality. 

Viewers have demanded less Benson and more Barba for years and we are getting just the opposite. And the show continues to shove Benson down our throats as some kind of saint and MH is totally deluded into thinking everyone worships her and she is a savior of rape victims, while everyone kisses her ass to keep her happy. She's ruined the show, period. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

By the way, what is Saint Olivia saving the rape victims from?  They've already been raped, so it's not like she's rounded up all the rapists in NYC and put them in prison.

Who knows exactly, but that's how MH plays it. It's like rape victims would never be able to move on with their lives or be happy again unless they get a speech from St Olivia and then all is well. It shows how enormous Mariska's/Olivia's  ego is that she thinks she is saving the lives of women everywhere, it's especially telling when Mariska says she sees no differences between her and Olivia. That's insane 

• Love 2

I was a decided "meh" on this episode. Maybe I would have liked it more if the story was developed more, but we can't have story development now that we have Benoah drama. It really has gotten ridiculous, and it just takes away from the actual case and the other characters. While this season's cases are generally better written than last season's, that is undermined by even more Olivia personal drama that just sucks my interest out of the room. 

• Love 3