Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Let It Ride

Murtaugh and Riggs investigate a death that occurs moments before the victim's bet wins a horse race. Leo Getz insists it's a homicide and aids in the investigation. Meanwhile, Murtaugh updates his will, while Riggs tries to come to terms with his past.

Poor Murtaugh, surrounded by needy people! And his wife is right: she should be furious with Riggs, but how can you be when he looked like that. I hope his therapist  gets him to finally acknowledge his feelings of abandonment. No wonder Miranda's death sent him off the deep end. She was the only secure home he had ever known (until now).

I did enjoy the "B" Team.

I really don't care about Riggs' daddy issues.  I just don't.  I feel like the whole first season we dealt with his grief, and I'm ready to just see him move on. Not all the sudden bring up all these childhood flashbacks. 

I seriously can't stand the therapist. It seems like she pushes the boundaries a lot. Aren't childhood records generally sealed? I think it bothers me, more on TV, when the therapists get emotionally involved with the clients. It seems like there should be some sort of professional ethics that never get shown on TV.  I would like to see something realistic on TV someday. I think Kate Beckett had some reasonable sessions with her therapist Worf from Star Trek.  They didn't make him a youngster that Kate was suppose to fall for.  They needed an acerbic, no nonsense type  here instead of this touchy feeling crap. 

In my mind, I saw Riggs's father as Tom Waits.  That all came crashing down when they started the child abuse thing. I was hoping his father would just show up for an episode in the present time and it would be Tom Waits. 

Now we have to deal with more of Riggs's emotional traumas. I wonder if the writers will ever give him a break. 

I find it telling that Riggs confides in Trish more easily and naturally than in Cahill. This episode summed up my problem with her. She can't be Riggs' shrink and his close friend/confidant, because he's wary of shrinks. So even with good intentions, she has to be hugely unprofessional and trespass boundaries in order to play a role in his life, beyond pretending to believe the BS he's feeding her of course. So her scenes feel like exposition, and redundant with the flashbacks or the scenes where Riggs actually and sincerely opens up to any of the Murtaughs.  She's completely irrelevant otherwise, she has no organic connection with any other character.

I loved Trish's "to be continued". She was mad, she had reasons to be mad, but she sensed that it wasn't just drunk antics and she didn't have it in her to say something that could be more hurtful than she intended. Trish is my favorite.

I found the flashbacks very well done in this episode. I felt for Riggs, and it reminded me that he was actually kind of fucked up before he met Miranda. Her death made it worse, but he wasn't Mr Stability before her.

Leoooo! I do love Tom Lennon's portrayal. Can Leo be Riggs" lawyer and try to get him the right to get his trailer back where it was?

Loved the B Team, too. Bowman was actually kind of savvy in this one, especially when dealing with Leo. I was afraid he'd be too one-dimensional and a butt monkey and this episode kind of reassured me. I'd love to see more of those two, there was a nice balance shaping up.

All in all, a good episode.

Edited by Happy Harpy

Did not like Riggs violent behavior. No matter his history, there is no way he should be on any police force.

Look, I like the show and the actors, but they are messing up big time with Riggs’ issues. No way would Murtaugh let Riggs get away with trying to clobber that guy with a bat. It wasn’t even played for laughs witness the expression on Riggs’ face when he finally came up for air.

8 hours ago, deaja said:

I really don't care about Riggs' daddy issues.  I just don't.  I feel like the whole first season we dealt with his grief, and I'm ready to just see him move on.

This.  

Also, I'm ready for him to get a haircut.   Or at least wash it.  

23 hours ago, Perkie said:

This.  

Also, I'm ready for him to get a haircut.   Or at least wash it.  

Maybe it's another movie thing. Movie Riggs didn't cut his hair 'til the last Lethal Weapon movie - and that was 11 years since the first!

Not really digging this season honestly. The first season was a lot of fun and I also liked the main storyline. I don't really care about the procedural aspects and the storyline this year isn't doing it for me. I feel the exact same way about Lucifer this year. Sadly I might be leaving these shows in the next month or so.

Edited by TheRabbi

Well I might be in the minority but I love this season. They had laid out the groundwork for what's going on with Riggs right now last season so it's not coming out of nowhere. Miranda was his safe heaven, when she was taken from him he was suicidal then driven by his lust for revenge. Now that that's over and done with all the stuff that he managed to keep under control while Miranda was in his life is resurfacing.

Loved the B-team and I hope we get to see more of them. I don't mind Cahill - she's trying to do her job but the plot won't let her. Trish is of course the best.

I think both Cahill and Trish work in their own way.  Cahill got Riggs to start thinking about his life but due to other things he ultimately told Trisg about it.    Cahill works as I wine who gets Riggs to open up ultimately this time he just opened up to someone else.