Type keyword(s) to search

"Help! What song is this?"

Simon47
  • Start Topic

I am loving the theme song for Merriam Webster's Word of the Day podcasts, but I want to know what the name of the song is, the name of the artist, and where I can find it. I was searching and searching for this lovely jazz music on the Internet, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the correct source. Is there anywhere (on YouTube or just in general) where I can find this music? Can someone ask the artist? I will appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

I am loving the theme song for Merriam Webster's Word of the Day podcasts, but I want to know what the name of the song is, the name of the artist, and where I can find it. I was searching and searching for this lovely jazz music on the Internet, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the correct source. Is there anywhere (on YouTube or just in general) where I can find this music? Can someone ask the artist? I will appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Have you tried using Shazam on it?

Okay, I have a couple that I heard on a 'classic' radio station. By that I mean songs that are old, but often not actually good. I heard them when I couldn't get away. The first is a female singer, something about blue sky up above. Not by Carolyn Dawn Johnson. The second is a male singer. Leave me to drown in a pool of tears. I may be wrong about the lyrics to both of these. Not much to go on, I know.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

The second is a male singer. Leave me to drown in a pool of tears.

Is it this one?

Also, is the music from one basic decade or two or are you hearing songs from the 60s-90s? Is it classic rock or do you also hear pop and disco?

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Is it this one?

Also, is the music from one basic decade or two or are you hearing songs from the 60s-90s? Is it classic rock or do you also hear pop and disco?

Yes, that's it! And the era is 60s, 70s, 80s. A bit of everything, but most of it is irritatingly bland and certainly not worthy of the title classic.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Yes, that's it! And the era is 60s, 70s, 80s. A bit of everything, but most of it is irritatingly bland and certainly not worthy of the title classic.

Yeah, the chorus is the only thing that I sort of like about it.  It's catchy.  If it's satellite radio than classic just means old and they play anything from those eras on some stations.  I can't think of anything from the other song you referenced.  If you can think of anything else about it, let us know. 

4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Yeah, the chorus is the only thing that I sort of like about it.  It's catchy.  If it's satellite radio than classic just means old and they play anything from those eras on some stations.  I can't think of anything from the other song you referenced.  If you can think of anything else about it, let us know. 

Okay, this is my perception. She was singing downhill, if that makes any sense. Some songs have a particular rhythm. To Mega Therion sounds like galloping. This one sounded downhill.

Another one. You'll Be Back, from Hamilton. The Dad Da Da bits remind me of... something. I've started plugging away at my classic rock collection, so I might find it eventually. But does anyone know?

11 minutes ago, janie jones said:

@Anduin The very first part of the "da da da" part made me think of the Jason Mraz song "Lucky," but the rest of that part doesn't really.

I have a theory. If it was a straight rip, everyone would say it was a straight rip. But bits and pieces seem to be taken from a lot of things, which is why I've seen all kinds of responses when looking elsewhere. But there's one particular track that I have in mind, that hasn't been mentioned yet. It'll come to me eventually.

This is a really random one (and at the wrong time of year), I've got a song stuck in my head that we sung in a UK Nativity Play about 20+ years ago, and I'm trying to find it to actually listen to the thing, but google isn't turning up anything with the (heavily paraphrased) lyrics I can think of:

"Get out, move on, and leave us alone
We don't need no scruffy neighbours moving in next door
Take all your […] and your […] instead
Go ahead get out of here there's no place here for you"

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm not sure if it's from a specific play or a normal song just used in it (we had Doctor Who in Nativity once, and I'm pretty sure we used 'Close Every Door' from Joseph so anything could happen).

I feel like I've found it once before a long time ago on Google but I can't find it now, so maybe I'm completely mis-remembering the lyrics.

Aha, I found it. It's 'Get Out! Move On!' from 'The Late Wise Men' nativity. I was fairly close with the lyrics too, they were just a little mixed up

Edited by Hybridcookie
(edited)

Something similar to Kanye West's Runaway, except with different lyrics or different emphasis. Maybe a female singer? Like, the same tune? I have the feeling I actually have this song, but nothing likely pops up for Runaway.

Update: I figured it out. Kiki Bello playing Despacio. Hooray, I got one for once! :)

Edited by Anduin
(edited)

What band is this? Japanese rock or metal. Female lead singer. Not Destrose, Scandal, or Versailles, though very much of a similar nature. Quite theatrical appearance. Up the back, they have a large stringed instrument, kind of like if a guitar on its back except longer than even a double bass. This make any sense?

Update: I found it again. Wagakki Band, and the instrument is more harplike and called a koto. Maybe I should look just another five minutes before asking for help. :)

Edited by Anduin
(edited)

If anyone knows please help me figure out what song this is.  I heard it yesterday on a pop radio station.  I’ve heard it a lot on the radio over the last several months.  It’s probably considered R&B or pop. Sounds like younger crowd than Bruno Mars. Male vocals and multiple voices.  Upbeat and dance worthy.  Very feel good vibe.  On the chorus repeats the word YOU.  

Found It!  Yaay….was able to pull up the playlist from radio station.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I’m searching the name of another song. It was the theme song for a tv show on HBO or Showtime in the 2000s about sex workers or late night sexcapades in NYC.  It seems like it was a hip hop type song.  Medium tempo, male vocals with some backup.  I’ve googled so much and still can’t find it. It seems to have words…..lady in it it.  Omg!  This thread is great.  Every time I post a request, it comes to me shortly thereafter!  On a roll…..this is it!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg!  This thread is great.  Every time I post a request, it comes to me shortly thereafter!  On a roll…..this is it!  

Yep, it's happened to me at least twice. :)

• Wink 1

I can't really remember the song itself.  I do remember parts of the music video for it though. I've used multiple search engines,  reworded search terms and tried YouTube until the cows come home over the years.

The music video from either the late 80's or early 90's had a guy who lost his wife or girlfriend. She was shown underwater and a phone was involved in them trying to communicate. It's not much to go on and I'm not really expecting this personal mystery to be solved. Can't hurt to try to get help with it.

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I can't really remember the song itself.  I do remember parts of the music video for it though. I've used multiple search engines,  reworded search terms and tried YouTube until the cows come home over the years.

The music video from either the late 80's or early 90's had a guy who lost his wife or girlfriend. She was shown underwater and a phone was involved in them trying to communicate. It's not much to go on and I'm not really expecting this personal mystery to be solved. Can't hurt to try to get help with it.

Was the music video from a movie or tv show?  Or regular video like on MTV?  

Was the singer male or female

Do you recall the type of music…..rock, country, r&b, etc?

Was the song fast or a ballad?  

21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Was the music video from a movie or tv show?  Or regular video like on MTV?  

Was the singer male or female

Do you recall the type of music…..rock, country, r&b, etc?

Was the song fast or a ballad?  

It was a video on MTV I know that much. The singer was a white male. It wasn't country or r&b. The subject matter was pretty sad so I'm not sure what category of music to attribute it to. 

• Like 1

I was having trouble falling asleep and by some fluke I found the video I've remembered for so long. I don't know if it was the order I put the words in or what because the search brought up a question on answers.com about 90's videos underwater. It only had one reply and that reply happened to mention the music video I haven't forgotten about since I was 8 or 9. Even before clicking on the thumbnail I knew it was the right one. 

Now it has a more personal meaning because of who I've lost since.  The only part I was wrong about was the who died. It was the guy and not the woman.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I heard that song on some '90s flashback radio show some time back - I remember hearing it as a kid, and I'd totally forgotten about it until that flashback show. I had no idea who'd done the song, though - crazy to think that's the same group that did "Wild, Wild West". 

Never saw the video before, so thanks for sharing that. 

• Like 2

I admit to letting out what could probably be a small squeal when it got to the part with the telephone.  I felt a little relief knowing that the original description  wasn't a hodgepodge of more than one of the videos I remember.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Can you help me figure out the name of the song or artist?  I’ve heard it on the radio the last several weeks. It’s probably considered pop or hip hop.  It’s between slow and medium tempo.  It’s a woman singing….though she sounds more like she’s talking than singing.  The words are rather bizarre and don’t make a lot of sense.  I’ve listened carefully several times and can’t figure out what it’s about.  The woman’s voice has an odd sound to it…..almost like she’s trying to sound quirky.  English may not be her first language.  

51 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Not my kind of thing. The appeal is lost on me.

Me either.  Rather evil looking. Why would she want to appear evil?  Idk.  I guess it worked for Marilyn Manson, Ozzie, etc…..lol.  After seeing the video, I don’t care for the song.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

I’m back again because I always find the name of the song after I post it here. Lol 

This is an old song.  It was a big hit back in the 70s or 80s. Pretty fast, upbeat, get up and dance, rap style……the vocals are by men, lyrics mention either Kool and the Gang  or Rappers Delight, which is by The Sugar Hill Gang.  It’s very recognizable…..driving me crazy!  I recently heard it in an oldie ‘s station.  

I have a new one I’m searching for.  It’s a pop song I think.  It starts out with NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa. NaNANANa.  Then the male vocalist sings words that sounds like he’s saying Tear it up. He repeats that sentence a lot.  Other singers join in.  Later NaNaNA lyrics resume again.  It sort of reminds me of the group B52’s. Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 12/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a new one I’m searching for.  It’s a pop song I think.  It starts out with NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa. NaNANANa.  Then the male vocalist sings words that sounds like he’s saying Tear it up. He repeats that sentence a lot.  Other singers join in.  Later NaNaNA lyrics resume again.  It sort of reminds me of the group B52’s. Lol

Is this what you're looking for?

Ini Kamoze--Here Comes The Hotstepper.

• Applause 1

I have another one I’m looking for.  This is a big song. It was performed at a big award show within the last several years.  The singers were male and female I think.  It’s R&B i think. About My Brother….maybe Baby brother.  It’s inspirational…..helping your brother.  Great message and melody.  I was thinking  Batiste….idk.