Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Wisconsin

The question I had after last week: What now? Mexico was a bust, and the two new characters left as soon as they showed up. The answer: Tandy having fun shenanigans with Jasper. I missed those times, and at least Tandy had someone this time.

Carol and Tandy really are made for each other. She is just as crazy nuts.

No shock that Melissa would get way into roleplay in bed. I was thinking "death by snu snu" from Futurama...and that pretty much almost happened. Oh man, I felt sorry for Todd.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Tandy having fun shenanigans with Jasper. I missed those times, and at least Tandy had someone this time.

I got some Season 1 vibes from that bit. xD (I guess I have been sort of missing the days when Phil/Tandy would play with steamrollers and stuff like that...)

Poor Todd (again)... :( Last season, Melissa was dealing with mental-health issues, but that storyline ended up being mostly about Todd -- how he felt about the situation and eventually figured out how best to help her -- rather than trying to get inside her head (we never did find out where she went or what-all she did while she went missing in 3x8, "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem"). I'm hoping perhaps this season could be a corrective to that, and start focusing more on her as she helps him or whatever. (Also, funny how the promo for this episode made it sound like a Halloween thing, when their "costumes" turned out to be BDSM / bondage gear. Maybe network Standards & Practices got involved in the marketing? :D )

Much as I love Tandy and Carol, I thought it was kinda awful that they would use false-alarm "labor" just to get the rest of the group to come to their place, and they pretty much deserved the mocking they got from Gail, Erica and Melissa. Still, I thought Baby Tandy was funny, and I'm glad the crew was able to come together again to save Todd. :) 

First Kinks song of s.4: "Strangers" from Lola vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One (1970)

• Love 1

I feel as if this show has run its course and is just spinning its wheels, at this point. I think this episode was a huge bore and that it led to nothing new. 

It's become Gilligan's Island. Same sh*t; different day. 

Edited by AdeleDazeem
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I feel as if this show has run its course and is just spinning its wheels, at this point. I think this episode was a huge bore and that it led to nothing new. 

No kidding.  The entire episode was just a setup to teach the group the "live together/die alone" rule.  How would they not already know this ?

If the town name was on the side of the ambulance right outside the hospital entrance, why did Tandy has so many problems spelling it right on that billboard?  Oh that's right, he's a moron.

The bit with the electro-magnet and the suit of armor was just plain stupid --- even for this show.

Seriously, fuck Carol and Tandy -- crying wolf over her delivery was just a shitty thing to do, and then to pretend that she had delivered with Tandy hiding under the bedding was just cruel.

• Love 3

I'm to the point where I hope Melissa, Todd, Erica, Gayle take the kids and go off to find Pamela and Glen.

Why didn't they use walkie-talkies years ago?  Or put a radio in Glen's car so they could stay in touch?

• Love 2

I have to wonder what the end game is supposed to be. It really doesn't seem like they can get much more mileage out of the premise. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Where was Jaspar living, and where was he all episode after leaving the magnet?

Wasn't he sitting at the dinner table with Gail, Erica, Todd, and Melissa? But after that, I don't think we saw him again. That was weird.

I liked this ep. I thought Melissa and Todd's roleplaying was funny... at first. Then I felt bad for Todd. I literally had to grab a tissue when there was a chance he died. Love that the safe word really came in handy.

Carol and Tandy tricking everyone into thinking she was in labor was very mean. However, it was worth it for the reveal of Tandy as the baby. Gail's reaction was nearly as hysterical as everyone else's. 

Tandy and Jasper playing with the giant magnet was great. Yes, it was like old times. The bells were fun, but then the hammer bit cracked me up. Love that Jasper just shook his head over that.

This ep certainly didn't have any plot advancement, but that's ok by me. It made me laugh, cry, and then just feel warm inside.

• Love 3

I don't need this show to have a major plot arc or "end game." I like it when they do fun, creative, or interesting things with the situation they're in. So I enjoyed the magnet. I find Both Tandy and Carol annoying, so that is a constant irritant, but I also like when they do things that develop the characters and their relationships. If I wrote the show, it wouldn't be like it is, but I still think there is more mileage to be gotten form the premise. I think they hit about half to 2/3 of the time, and I'm trying to just let the misses not ruin it for me.

If I was one of 7 people left on earth, there would be a constant tension between the part of me that wanted and needed the others and the part of me that wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with 6 random people who I probably would not have wound up friends with pre-virus, two of whom are incredibly annoying, so I get that the interpersonal conflicts and existence of annoying people are reasonable under the circumstances. I just wish they'd stop repeating the same BS, like Tandy with the sign he couldn't spell and everyone rolling their eyes at him and walking away while Carol tries to keep him smiling. Living together vs getting some space was a much more viable story for me to watch.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

This ep certainly didn't have any plot advancement, but that's ok by me. It made me laugh, cry, and then just feel warm inside.

I noticed that, too, but I got the feeling it was supposed to be primarily about restoring and reaffirming the core group dynamic after Pamela (and to a lesser extent, Glenn) shook things up a bit. :)

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

Living together vs getting some space was a much more viable story for me to watch.

Agreed, though to me it kinda felt almost like a rehash of s.3's 4th episode ("Five Hoda Kotbs") -- the group threatening to splinter / blow itself apart until something brings them all back together again -- but rather than ending in an exciting discovery (the self-sustaining office building in San Jose), it went for something simpler and (IMO) more emotionally satisfying. 

• Love 1

I don't need this show to have a major plot arc or "end game." 

Unless I'm mistaken they've already said this will be the show's last season. I would certainly hope they give us some measure of closure at the end of it. I don't want to be left hanging like there should be another season. 

What might be amusing would be a flash forward several hundred years when the earth has been re-populated, and we can see that everyone is a descendant of one of the six survivors. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I hadn't heard that this is the last season. I wouldn't mind it ending. Not that I hate it now, but oftentimes TV shows benefit when there's an ending in sight.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1