Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Tempest

tessaray

Why not divide the seeds into two (or more) batches?  Eggs/baskets, people!

We're going to move one by one!  Everybody stay together!

Don't worry about the survival of the entire world, save O'Connor!

• Love 7

Did they really call her "Ms. Cooper" in the meeting near the beginning of the episode?  "Ms. Cooper" is running the special missions on shore???  Give me a break.  She looked better in this episode though, imo, less make-up.

No way Fletcher survives that jump and swim.  Might just be the most unrealistic thing yet... though there's a lot of competition for that title.

• Love 5

Sasha finally found something to tie her hair with. All it took was a storm.

We get it, Wolf and the new girl may or may not have a thing. But do they have to flirt every time they are on screen together? 

Your ship is tossing about in the storm, people are being thrown around, and yet you still risk taking a man to the medical bay. 

When you cough up blood in the apocalypse, especially after more than half the world's population had just been wiped out, you don't seek medical assistance. You go to a briefing with other people in a small, enclosed space. 

Ms. Cooper is so badass but can't take the shot because it's her dear Fletch. How many potential bad guys have ran from them now because she can't take the shot or won't let her team take it? Omar, Fletcher, who's next? 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Did they really call her "Ms. Cooper" in the meeting near the beginning of the episode?  "Ms. Cooper" is running the special missions on shore???  Give me a break.  She looked better in this episode though, imo, less make-up.

That is the US Naval custom. All junior commissioned officers and warrant officers under the XO and CO Mister, Miss or Ms generally depending on the preference of the woman is often used in place of Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander... Such as on JAG which was very accurate you would have called them Mr and Mrs Roberts in most situations even though they were Lieutenants. A civilian in the position of Sasha is normally treated as an officer. In the Army it would only be warrant officers along with civilians working with us, the high school to flight school types like Sunshine and Physicians Assistants, like Doc Rios rose up to be after the Red Flu took the actual pre-pandemic  PAs and doctors, making up the bulk holding that rank being called "mister"

If this was The Orville as inspired first by  Star Trek, except the Captain of Voyager there would be what Trek considers the gender neutral would be to call her "mister" and to refer to her as "sir" never "ma'am". As a civilian though they might use Ms. or ma'am.  I just can't remember an episode where it turned up as normally something like Ambassador would be used for a guest character who was somewhat in command.

I have to admit those scenes of the NJ submarining through those waves was pretty cool, but the rest of the episode kind of sucked.

Vellek's people now have access to the 3 Greek destroyers -- or 1 destroyer and 2 other Greek naval vessels -- and Admiral Lucia is calling the shots. Seriously, WTF ?
5 episodes ago Giorgio was shaking down protection money from Greek fishermen and organizing fight club.

No seatbelts in the CIC for when they hit rough seas -- really ?  Kara fall down and go boom.  At least Diaz was tied into position on the bridge.

Master Chief has broken ribs and maybe a punctured lung, but won't seek out help.  But he'll tough it out.  Because he's tough.

14 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

No way Fletcher survives that jump and swim.  Might just be the most unrealistic thing yet... though there's a lot of competition for that title.

Exactly.  Fletch didn't even have a life vest to keep him on the surface. so how did he manage to keep from drowning in those seas ?

Oh nooeeess, Sasha has the sads because she was hoodwinked by her British boyfriend -- in fact she was so sad that her mascara ran.

Did they let Fletch dial by himself ?  Are there no security protocols in place for comms off the ship ?  
Because they should have noticed he wanted to call a number that was vastly different from regular calls to the UK BEFORE the call was placed.

How is the NJ going to pick up the trail of the seeds now ?  Did Chandler leave a tracker on Giorgio's yacht -- just in case ?

And where the hell is Omar ?  We know he's still alive -- so where did he go ?  Still plotting his revenge against Giorgio.  
Which means the MacGuffiin, correction, I mean the seeds will probably change hands .... again ... next episode.

How come the refugees were still standing around in rough seas with loose tables and equipment everywhere in the helo hangar deck ?
They had lots of time when they were charging the Greek destroyers to get everyone and everything secured before they encountered rough seas.  Did they just not bother ?

I would have thought that Azima or Wolf would have been a little more pissed off that Fletch was a turncoat.

And with Connor dead who will align the phase on the generators now ??

And a big WTF about the radar -- they didn't even detect those 3 Greek ships until they were 5 miles out.  5 miles !!  Are you kidding me ??
The range on the multiple radar systems used by the Arleigh Burke-class are at a minimum good to a range of 50 nautical miles, so to have not one but 3 ships "pop up" on the radar that close by is ridiculous -- especially since they weren't even in the storm at that time, or just coming out from behind an island.

• Love 2

What was this, "Bad Day to be a Black Guy" on the Nathan James?  They killed two and wounded a third in one episode.  Although, I can't feel too sorry for Connor.  Anyone who has EVER watched tv knows that you don't walk up to the bad guy and stand right behind him, putting yourself in striking range. 

Fletcher's accomplice definitely had the Pee Wee Herman death scene down (original Buffy movie).

I did like Chandler's expression as he ran the blockade.  He should have saluted Lucia.  "That's right, woman.   It's me."  Again, I raise my objection to their tactics.  The Greeks tried to destroy the James already.  They're fair game.  That 5" rapid fire gun on the bow could easily have removed the threat on the other bridge, not to mention putting a few holes in the hull.

GENERAL QUARTERS!  But, all y'all refugees just feel free to hang out in the hangar.  Of course, we would not have had "live ballast" to rope like so much cattle.  The best was giving split-second orders in English - even Sasha did this - to the guests.

So the sonar array failed, but the above-the waterline radar survived.  

Oh.  My new favorite.  Remember how the last time the NJ lost all power, but the comms were just fine?  This time, the comms failed, but the NJ had full power and all weaponry systems were nominal.  I wish I were making this up.

Will we get to see the burial-at-sea ceremony?  

While it turned out to be a red herring, I did love the concept of the Brits not trusting the remnant USA and doing what she could to get the seeds for herself.  That is a perfect example of just how messed up absolutely everything would be.  Just imagine the terror and fear everyone would have.  Would you just sit back, or would you do something, anything, to gain the perception of some notion of control?

So Chandler recreated Nelson's famous tactic at Trafalgar.  What then happened to Nelson?   Who was similarly "posing" as his ship was filing past the enemy?  Answers:  Nelson, while showing the crew his confidence by standing aside them, was killed by a sniper.  

What charges, seriously, would be preferred against a USN Captain who failed to properly guard and protect cargo deemed to be the most critical since the atomic bombs in WW II?  Slattery would be, and should be, toast.  Same with that other Captain who was operationally in control while Slattery convalesced.  Not even arguable.  

The show went to some lengths to "absolve" Chandler for getting one or two command decisions wrong.  Slattery and the other dude's error was utterly unforced and unforgivable.

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Oh nooeeess, Sasha has the sads because she was hoodwinked by her British boyfriend -- in fact she was so sad that her mascara ran.

Sasha couldn't believe she'd been played by Fletcher for so long. She may have forgotten that she also got played not so long ago by the Chinese president with whom it was heavily implied that she also was romantically involved with. That was only 16 months ago.

Chandler must be regretting his decision to sleep with Lucia right about now. Who knew that the spoiled little rich girl he only slept with to gain access to the necklace/key actually has naval warfare knowledge and can handle the weapons systems of a Greek navy warship. 

Kara Green must have forgotten about her seatbelt in CIC after more than 16 months of shore duty. Speaking of Kara, she's been itching to engage that Greek ship for a few episodes now. Maybe Chandler should have just authorized her to fire. But then agian, we wouldn't have gotten the dramatic bridge-to-bridge staredown between him and Lucia.

At least we have news about Cmdr. Garnett. I do hope we get to see her this season. She's lost all her comrades down in Engineering now: Chung, the other engineering guy who died on the rig, and now O'Conner. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Raja said:

That is the US Naval custom. All junior commissioned officers and warrant officers under the XO and CO Mister, Miss or Ms generally depending on the preference of the woman is often used in place of Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander... 

Then I think this is just another inconsistency on the show, because in the previous seasons all women were referred to by their rank.  Lt. Foster, Lt. Granderson, Cmdr. Garnett, etc.  Maybe that is what Sasha prefers, knowing that she's Intelligence and not really a sailor like the rest, but I still find it disrespectful.  Wikipedia says she was a "former Navy intelligence officer" so maybe she's not even in the Navy anymore?  But if that's the case, WHY IS SHE COMMANDING THE ON-SHORE SPECIAL MISSIONS????? Ugh.  Sorry.  Just bothers me that her character is so... vague.

But speaking of Lt. Green (nee Foster), why have she and male Lt. Green been put so far on the backburner this season?  Are the actors unable to get along, so they can't have any scenes together or something?  I like that this is a Navy-first show, with action and adventure, but a little human emotion and softer sides of characters never hurt for a minute or two.

Well, that was not a good showing there, Nathan James.  Not only did Fletcher and his new buddy take your seeds and escape (in the middle of a storm, none the less!), they even killed five of your guys in the process.  Including poor O'Conner!  Also, I knew the doctor was a goner once they had him there instead of Rios, because someone had to die to get the seeds and it wasn't going to be Rios!  Bad form, guys!

Dammit, Jeter!  You are really going to hide your injury?!   You're smarter then this!  The show better not do anything to him!

I truly love Bridget Regan, so it pains over how hard I laughed when Sasha realized her new squeeze betrayed him.  And was still in denial, complete with Chandler just looking at her all "We really don't have time for this, Sasha..."

Similarly, I still have fondness for Sibylla Deen from Tyrant, but she was hilariously bad in a lot of her scenes.  It's like she saw a glimpse of Peter Weller camping it up in the dailies, and was trying to match him, but only certain few can devour the scenery like he can!  At least Jackson Rathbone knows his limits, and just put himself into smarm mode for every scene. 

Oh, The Last Ship!  You're so silly!

• Love 3

Not a good episode. Disappointed in Jeter. His deception doesn't feel in character. He's always the voice of reason on the show and would rip into any enlisted sailor who tried to pull something like that with him. Unfortunately, Sasha having feels about Fletcher instead of wanting to hunt him down and end him for stealing the seeds and being involved in a plot that resulted in the death of five crew members feels totally in character.

So Mike gets to give the routine orders while Chandler stands over his shoulder and gets to display his superior tactical mind. Is Mike going to lose command again?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Not a good episode. Disappointed in Jeter. His deception doesn't feel in character. He's always the voice of reason on the show and would rip into any enlisted sailor who tried to pull something like that with him. Unfortunately, Sasha having feels about Fletcher instead of wanting to hunt him down and end him for stealing the seeds and being involved in a plot that resulted in the death of five crew members feels totally in character.

So Mike gets to give the routine orders while Chandler stands over his shoulder and gets to display his superior tactical mind. Is Mike going to lose command again?

They did have Doc Rios giving him the look as he talked about the high the drug gave him. Maybe a Trek like Doctor McCoy relieving the Captain of command. But seeing as Captain Chandler is a retired Chief Of Naval Operations like last season he is more like the Admiral aboard his flagship, even if his "fleet" consist of Nathan James, a Huey and Vulture Team. with the XO again running the ship.  The Master Chief thing really does fall under character assassination, it just serves as a mine to run across in the future, probably about the same time Omar's ultimate plan hatches.

1. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but really? A spoiled brat giving order to a Greek Naval Commander? No, belay that. She gave order to a squadron? Who died and appointed her Commodore? And she apparently had the knowledge and experience in leading surface warfare and maneuvers. Bravo Zulu, Lucia!
  2. Man, those Royal Navy men are really strong. Apparently Heart of Oak are not their ships but their men. After the rogue crew of HMS Achilles managed to disappear just by diving into water, now Fletcher escaped also by jumping in the water, with storm nonetheless? He did not have life vest, no diving equipment, all we saw was swimming flippers.
  3. Speaking of which, even if we believe that Fletcher survived the storm, how did he get rescued? Did he really swim to Asteris Island, hiked to the other side and got rescued there? Remember that the Nathan James still has her radar on. Any ship approaching Fletcher in open water would surely be detected.
  4. In previous episode there were sentries guarding the sick bay. Presumably they were killed by Harry when he escaped. But then, why put sentries to guard the precious cargo if people can just get in by pretending to be sick and be left alone with the unarmed corpsman?
  5. Speaking of Harry, post-mortem they found in his belongings that he was not a trawler captain at all. Did the crew not vet the rescuees when they came aboard? It had been several days already, surely they wanted to keep themselves free of intruder?
  6. The Master-at-arms was really shit, was he not? He pointed a pistol to Fletcher and yet he let Fletcher be close enough to strike him with something. And he did not react when Fletcher spun around.
  7. "General quarters, general quarters. Secure all exit access." Yet all doors going to the main decks were unguarded and the MAAs were running around in the passageways like Storm Troopers. In fact the comedic scene of Fletcher hiding from the MAAs is ripped off Luke and the Death Star.
  8. So Vanek is working with a Greek Navy Admiral. And so the Navy provides him with warships to secure the seeds. Presumably meaning that the Greeks are official. Then why did his son going around terrorizing Greek population?
  9. Oh, forgot about this one. Let me add it quick. SCPO Taylor and Sgt Kandie were in the storage room. Entered Cdr Fletcher going through the equipment (whatever they were). And they both just chilling there, just get whatever you need. Seriously? No signing out, no inventory check, no approval check, not even a single question as to why he needed those?
Edited by TV Anonymous
Added point 9.
  • Love 7

The most valuable seeds in the world.  In an unguarded fridge in the sick bay.  Is this a plant that is still grown somewhere or are these the last seeds of an extinct plant? If the plant is not extinct then send in what remains of seal team 6 and the marine to get it. WHat are the alternatives being sought by the world? Does the Red Plague affect algae?  What about trees?  Potatoes?  Very vague, you wonder why the world already isn't reduced to cannibalism.  Maybe they are.  But you couldn't keep the seeds in the safe of the captain's cabin with two armed guards outside?  Or maybe split them up.  To get the genetic information you would need from the seeds you would need a minuscule amount of seed to assay.  All we know is the plant is resistant.  One seed would be enough.  So you get the DNA for the gene, stuff it into corn, wheat, sorghum and start growing.  

Ok, I get that Greece spent the most on defense of all the NATO allies as a percentage of GDP.  But after the plague, they can muster 5 warships to harass our one?  

Oh well, the seeds are safe with the English, and some free-lance Greek warlords.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, jwc said:

The most valuable seeds in the world.  In an unguarded fridge in the sick bay.  Is this a plant that is still grown somewhere or are these the last seeds of an extinct plant? If the plant is not extinct then send in what remains of seal team 6 and the marine to get it. WHat are the alternatives being sought by the world? Does the Red Plague affect algae?  What about trees?  Potatoes?  Very vague, you wonder why the world already isn't reduced to cannibalism.  Maybe they are.  But you couldn't keep the seeds in the safe of the captain's cabin with two armed guards outside?  Or maybe split them up.  To get the genetic information you would need from the seeds you would need a minuscule amount of seed to assay.  All we know is the plant is resistant.  One seed would be enough.  So you get the DNA for the gene, stuff it into corn, wheat, sorghum and start growing.  

Ok, I get that Greece spent the most on defense of all the NATO allies as a percentage of GDP.  But after the plague, they can muster 5 warships to harass our one?  

Oh well, the seeds are safe with the English, and some free-lance Greek warlords.

Judging by the episode 7 promo 

Spoiler

where Lt Green and his Australian counterpart Chief Wolf seem to be among the last SEAL and Clearance Diving Unit operators leading Vulture Team, their Marine stand in. Is exactly what the next episode will bring.

Remember the Japanese lead multi ethnic Asian pirates and Chinese sunk most of our Naval squadron last year.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Remember the Japanese lead multi ethnic Asian pirates and Chinese sunk most of our Naval squadron last year.

I thought it was the Chinese warship that sunk the other two US ships last year. The pirate leader was already on board with the Nathan James by that time.

@jwc - Rios mentioned that the virus kills wheat and grain once it reaches the cellular level. But the effect of the virus is different with this particular seed. Rather than kill it, it becomes a hallucinogen. I think what Vellek wants is to use the seeds to alter behavior hence, Nostos and its after effects. The Americans and, presumably, the Brits are clearly looking to use the seeds to re-engineer crops that are resistant to the virus. Now I don't know where Omar falls in all of this because he, too, is after the seeds but it does seem like the best option is to divvy up the seeds between them. 

Edited by ChiliCrab
  • Love 1

What about apples?  There's a scene in the first or second episode where someone grabs an apple from a huge bushel and says, "this is one of the last apples of the world?" Bacon (I think that's his name, the chief cook) says no, the virus hasn't hit apples yet.  So... this may be too simple of a question, but can't they grow and eat apples?

37 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

What about apples?  There's a scene in the first or second episode where someone grabs an apple from a huge bushel and says, "this is one of the last apples of the world?" Bacon (I think that's his name, the chief cook) says no, the virus hasn't hit apples yet.  So... this may be too simple of a question, but can't they grow and eat apples?

Basically apples and other fruits are sugared luxury items with a long growing season and short shelf life. It was the mundane grains that allowed people to move beyond hunting and gathering. It does seem odd that after the Red Flu kill off of humanity we are told that the survivors have already over fished the oceans. You would have thought that as soon as the trawlers were hit like the ghost cruise ship in the very first episodes the schools of fish would be thriving 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Raja said:

Basically apples and other fruits are sugared luxury items with a long growing season and short shelf life. It was the mundane grains that allowed people to move beyond hunting and gathering. It does seem odd that after the Red Flu kill off of humanity we are told that the survivors have already over fished the oceans. You would have thought that as soon as the trawlers were hit like the ghost cruise ship in the very first episodes the schools of fish would be thriving 

Indeed. the world's population has been massively reduced,by how much isn't clear but all the same, you'd think fish stocks and fish farming would be an option here. Really though, the whole red rust story line is nonsense, there are so many holes in it it doesn't stand up to the most cursory scrutiny. Cereals aren't the only food crops, does this plant 'virus' affect all food crops? if so, what about non food plants? surely something that affected so many food crops would be lethal to plant life in general, only once the carbon cycle is fecked because all the plants have died, it won't be just food shortages we have to worry about. then there's the macguffin seeds; if the seeds in the convenient seed bank are the only ones in the world, how do we know they're resistant if they're not growing anywhere? 

I could go on.

Personally i liked the geopolitical stuff from the last series, but i suppose once you've literally saved the world, everything else could be seen as an anti climax,which is why they've gone for another potential extinction threat, i preferred the world building stuff myself though.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, BasilSeal said:

Indeed. the world's population has been massively reduced,by how much isn't clear but all the same, you'd think fish stocks and fish farming would be an option here. Really though, the whole red rust story line is nonsense, there are so many holes in it it doesn't stand up to the most cursory scrutiny. Cereals aren't the only food crops, does this plant 'virus' affect all food crops? if so, what about non food plants? surely something that affected so many food crops would be lethal to plant life in general, only once the carbon cycle is fecked because all the plants have died, it won't be just food shortages we have to worry about. then there's the macguffin seeds; if the seeds in the convenient seed bank are the only ones in the world, how do we know they're resistant if they're not growing anywhere? 

I could go on.

Personally i liked the geopolitical stuff from the last series, but i suppose once you've literally saved the world, everything else could be seen as an anti climax,which is why they've gone for another potential extinction threat, i preferred the world building stuff myself though.

And why has no one mentioned the seed vault in Norway?

20 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And why has no one mentioned the seed vault in Norway?

Back in the S04E01, they did mention that these seeds were in fact stolen from the seed vault in Norway.

How they exactly they determined that these specific seeds are resistant to the red rust I have no idea.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, BasilSeal said:

Yes, that is the problem I have with Red Flu becoming Red Rust. Human's diet all over the world is very diverse. We eat from different parts of plants of different species. Sometimes the species of plants that we eat are are different as human and crocodile. Point is, plants diseases are different across species. It is amazing if Red Rust affects only to crops as we still see Greek and Italian lush countrysides. AFAIK, Red Flu only affected humans. However, even if it is true that Red Rust does affect only crops, surely there are goats around to grow with all that green plants? 

19 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Yes, that is the problem I have with Red Flu becoming Red Rust. Human's diet all over the world is very diverse. We eat from different parts of plants of different species. Sometimes the species of plants that we eat are are different as human and crocodile. Point is, plants diseases are different across species. It is amazing if Red Rust affects only to crops as we still see Greek and Italian lush countrysides. AFAIK, Red Flu only affected humans. However, even if it is true that Red Rust does affect only crops, surely there are goats around to grow with all that green plants? 

Did they ever explain how the red flu went from infecting humans to infecting crops? What I understood from what Rios told Slattery was that the plant virus affects wheat and grains in the cellular level. Except I don't think they ever really expounded on how this certain plant virus can actually penetrate into the cellular makeup of certain crops. The seeds are supposedly the secret weapon against global famine yet they seem to not have addressed the crop shortages in the show's Mediterranean plot line. The way the food problem of the Greeks was framed, at least in the part of Greece where Chandler lived, was that there are now fewer fishes in the ocean and that spoiled warlords like Giorgio are taking cuts from their catch. 

On 9/20/2017 at 0:11 PM, TV Anonymous said:
  1. Oh, forgot about this one. Let me add it quick. SCPO Taylor and Sgt Kandie were in the storage room. Entered Cdr Fletcher going through the equipment (whatever they were). And they both just chilling there, just get whatever you need. Seriously? No signing out, no inventory check, no approval check, not even a single question as to why he needed those?

Someone on social media "theorized" that Wolf and Kandie's behavior in that scene is part of an elaborate plan by Chandler. Replace the seeds in the container with fake ones, leave the container in an unsecured area to lure someone to steal it, let the thief escape the Nathan James with the fake seeds to take it to Vellek, let Vellek come to Chandler if he really wanted the seeds. Apparently, this theory also explains why security was so lax on the ship, why Chandler helped O'Connor instead of finishing off Harry, and why Sasha did not fire on Fletcher when she had the chance. Personally, I think this conflicts with Chandler's plan to meet Garnett and the plane so Sasha can fly to Norfolk with the seeds but hey, it's Chandler. He's the savior of the world. He must have some surprise up his sleeve (like sleeping with Giorgio's sister to get the key to a secret room only to have his plan bite him in the end because said sister has a Greek warship at her disposal, it's captain by the balls, and naval warfare tactics memorized).

• Love 1
On 23/09/2017 at 6:10 PM, Dowel Jones said:

It was stamped on the container:  "Resistant to red rust, gunfire, and seawater".

Ha! you say that in jest but i think that's just about the level we're on with this particular plot device.

These are the only existing seeds from an extinct plant, well i presume they're the only ones, i mean, if there are others what's all the fuss about? so they must be the only ones. 
somehow, various rival factions from different parts of a post apocalyptic world just know that these seeds and these seeds alone are the only plant on the entire planet that is resistant to the red rust, (apart from all the other plants we see growing quite happily in the on land scenes, but apart from them, nothing) they could only really know if they'd all conducted extensive field trials to establish the level of resistance in the plant, and they can't have done that without having the seeds in the first place, this makes no sense at all.

I've got a lot of good will for this show and i don't expect too much from it other than good looking people shooting stuff and blowing shit up, I'm not worried about Sacha leading the missions wearing more make up than Ivanka trump, i'm not bothered about mistakes in navy protocol or all the 'they're doing guns wrong' complaints, but the whole red rust plot is so shoddily formed it's bordering on insulting us, like they couldn't be bothered to come up with something that made even the most basic sense. I mean the whole red flu plot was ridiculously far fetched as was the convenient way they managed to cure it with a vaccine that exactly fitted the requirements of the plot, but at least there was a consistent logic to it.

• Love 2