Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E14 Go Pirates!: Gossip Girls

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

I was glad John mentioned Carrie being in the movie because, as I was listening, I was reminded that Susan and the pregnancy are pretty much the inciting spark of the film's mystery.  And yeah, IIRC, Leighton Meester had a scheduling conflict and that's why they had to recast Carrie.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Seriously, I kind of love Carrie Bishop just because of LM. I was so sad she wasn't in the Veronica Mars movie. Because sorry but Not LM actress playing is not LM! 

And LM with JD would have been great imo.

She was not available at the time of the shooting, right ?

Edited by pau
  • Love 1

By the way recently Adam Scott talked about this episode with KB on an interview..KB was the host, she replaced Kimmel or Fallon (don't remember) on a talk show and Adam Scott was the guest.

46 minutes ago, pau said:

And LM with JD would have been great imo.

She was not available at the time of the shooting, right ?

I assume so. I've always thought about digging into her IMDB to see what she was working on that prevented her from being able to but I never have. Maybe I will now. 

It's been a while so maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I always thought that Veronica's thinking of Carrie as a gossip really came down to that one overheard conversation about Duncan, and her assuming at that time that Carrie was making things up to be malicious, because outside what Veronica says, I don't think we see anything to back up 'Carrie the gossiper'. So it's another example of Veronica realising she has judged someone rashly, as has been done to her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

I'll try to track it down, thanks for the tip!

ETA: here it is! It's from Kimmel in May. Love Scott to bits but that mustache is never again.

I'm hoping the mustache is an indication that he'll show up on The Good Place again.  That's the mustache of a demon.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, helent said:

It's been a while so maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I always thought that Veronica's thinking of Carrie as a gossip really came down to that one overheard conversation about Duncan, and her assuming at that time that Carrie was making things up to be malicious, because outside what Veronica says, I don't think we see anything to back up 'Carrie the gossiper'. So it's another example of Veronica realising she has judged someone rashly, as has been done to her.

Think this is largely the story of Veronica working out life for herself with minimal help. Like one does. 

in the Kate Daniels(Kate is a jerksss alpha like Veronica, worth a read!) books by Ilona Andrews Kate says of Curran " that's the beast lord. Often wrong, but never in doubt. " 

Veronica  is always certain of whatever she is certain of at the time. And then she moves on. 

Yeah I always assumed Veronica thought Carrie was making up bits and pieces of the Duncan story, based on the tactless words that she used. And I kind of do have to agree on the gossip thing, Carrie was telling the story in the high school bathroom. Obviously a gossiper but all the same, Carrie was trying to do right by Susan and was taking the heat for her friend there.

I think Veronica judged all the 09ers as evil incarnate once she made her choice to side with Keith on Lily's murder and while she may be right in some cases, I think for some of them, they didn't have a reason to be loyal to her because they didn't really know her and were never that close to her to begin with? Or maybe that's just how I kind of view it. I mean yes a lot of them were just plain awful people but I feel that some of them didn't have any sort of friendship with her to begin with, from what we gather in flashbacks of Veronica Pre Lily's death she seemed wrapped up in her relationship with Duncan and her friendship with Lily and just being a yes girl to whatever lily said to do. Veronica back then didn't make many of her own choices, friendship wise. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much about this.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode.  I'm sorry our lovely pod casters didn't talk more about Logan- I thought it was a terrific acting choice when he left the room after seeing the footage of his Mom.  It was a slight stagger, and it blew me away.  

And the actor who plays Duncan...poor guy was out of his league in this show.  I've often wondered if he was supposed to have a larger part, but they scaled it back once they saw how he was struggling, the the chemistry between Logan and Veronica.

I may be biased about the Logan/Veronica chemistry.  Just a little.

And I adored it when the paint spray went off in Veronica's face.  It was hilarious, and I loved her retorts to her Dad when he saw her.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

I really liked this episode.  I'm sorry our lovely pod casters didn't talk more about Logan- I thought it was a terrific acting choice when he left the room after seeing the footage of his Mom.  It was a slight stagger, and it blew me away.  

And the actor who plays Duncan...poor guy was out of his league in this show.  I've often wondered if he was supposed to have a larger part, but they scaled it back once they saw how he was struggling, the the chemistry between Logan and Veronica.

I may be biased about the Logan/Veronica chemistry.  Just a little.

And I adored it when the paint spray went off in Veronica's face.  It was hilarious, and I loved her retorts to her Dad when he saw her.

You are not biased..they had a chemistry pretty rare..haha.

The guy who played Duncan would have been alright in the usual CW/the WB teenage tv shows but he was in a far superior show (who was in the wrong network tbh)..and it was his downfall imho.

Keith/Veronica scenes were awesome in this episode

JD has the talent to be a movie star..too bad offscreen shenanigans prevents it..

Edited by pau
14 hours ago, MostlyC said:

What?  WHAT?

Well i don't know everything and i don't like being a 'gossip'..but there is some things quite known..like..he is the son of a very wealthy and powerful scientologist..he does not socialize, he doesn't play the Hollywood game at all..so despite his mad/powerful acting skills Hollywood doesn't care about him..

When i talked about 'shenanigans' it was not about bad behaviour, (he is born and raised under scientology..not his fault..) but more about who his father is..and him being a pretty quiet, not Hollywood 'player/gamer'..

Edited by pau
  • Love 1

I agree that JD and KB had some great chemistry that is really rare on shows, particularly teen dramas. I've seen a few other couples on other shows who have great chemistry too that is rare like theirs. There's a show that currently airs now and I won't name it here  but there's a romantic couple who literally gives me nostalgia of this show with their chemistry. (Brownie points if you guys can guess which show and couple I'm talking about).

The actor who plays Duncan.. yeah. He's.. just.. not up to par. In the first half of the first season there were many times when it did seem like the show was trying to possibly go the Duncan and Veronica reunion route but it does seem like they did change their mind once they saw how JD and Kb were together. (It doesn't explain the following season though, it really doesn't to me but we will cross that bridge when we get to it because I have rants on it you guys.. rants!) 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I agree that JD and KB had some great chemistry that is really rare on shows, particularly teen dramas. I've seen a few other couples on other shows who have great chemistry too that is rare like theirs. There's a show that currently airs now and I won't name it here  but there's a romantic couple who literally gives me nostalgia of this show with their chemistry. (Brownie points if you guys can guess which show and couple I'm talking about).

The actor who plays Duncan.. yeah. He's.. just.. not up to par. In the first half of the first season there were many times when it did seem like the show was trying to possibly go the Duncan and Veronica reunion route but it does seem like they did change their mind once they saw how JD and Kb were together. (It doesn't explain the following season though, it really doesn't to me but we will cross that bridge when we get to it because I have rants on it you guys.. rants!) 

I don't watch it but i will try a guess from what i heard..Claire and Jamie from Outlander ?

Edited by pau
9 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

No. I've never watched Outlander actually. 

Ok so tell me..i am so curious..lol..i don't watch much tv shows these days and the ones i watch don't have much powerful pairings imo..it is more about the storytelling (Fargo, Twin Peaks, Narcos) or the funny and sometimes storytelling (Rick and Morty, iZombie, Brooklyn Nine nine) when i have the time to bingewatch.

Or give me some clues, i like to guess..

Edited by pau
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pau said:

Ok so tell me..i am so curious..lol..i don't watch much tv shows these days and the ones i watch don't have much powerful pairings imo..it is more about the storytelling (Fargo, Twin Peaks, Narcos) or the funny and sometimes storytelling (Rick and Morty, iZombie, Brooklyn Nine nine) when i have the time to bingewatch.

Or give me some clues, i like to guess..

Ha! Okay. I actually didn't think it would be this interesting- I'll give a clue though, it's a show found on The CW and a show that always makes me feel too old for watching but when I started watching it, I thought it would it be a fun guilty pleasure only to end up finding it ridiculously compelling. 

3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ha! Okay. I actually didn't think it would be this interesting- I'll give a clue though, it's a show found on The CW and a show that always makes me feel too old for watching but when I started watching it, I thought it would it be a fun guilty pleasure only to end up finding it ridiculously compelling. 

I don't watch CW shows except iZombie (because..well..Rob Thomas's writing..duh..and he knows how to chose a compelling/endearing cast) because too corny, over sentimentalish, simplistic writing for me but i heard about popular pairings on CW shows like Arrow, the 100, the Flash..i heat, i am near the answer, is it on one of these three shows, a pairing with a big social media fanbase ?

2 minutes ago, pau said:

I don't watch CW shows except iZombie (because..well..Rob Thomas's writing..duh..and he knows how to chose a compelling/endearing cast) because too corny, over sentimentalish, simplistic writing for me but i heard about popular pairings on CW shows like Arrow, the 100, the Flash..i heat, i am near the answer, is it on one of these three shows, a pairing with a big social media fanbase ?

It is not one of those three shows but you are getting warmer, and yes the pairing has a big social media fan base. Also it is not Supergirl either but the pairing on that show has a good chemistry too so throwing that out there.

33 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

It is not one of those three shows but you are getting warmer, and yes the pairing has a big social media fan base. Also it is not Supergirl either but the pairing on that show has a good chemistry too so throwing that out there.

Not one of these three shows..hard..i don't know these CW shows..Jane the Virgin ? Crazy ex-girlfriend ? The Originals ? I try everything now..lmao

No..wait..Riverdale ?!

Edited by pau
18 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ha. Okay. I'll just tell you now the show is Riverdale.

Ok Riverdale..and i think, i found it but i don't know the character's names..so i will say..the blond girl and the guy with the famous quote: 'i am a weirdo'..i think i won..haha 

But Riverdale doesn't interest me..it seems too much teenage drama fluff and try too hard to be edgy a la Twin Peaks/VM teenage light vibe with some Gossip Girl stylish shallow touch..and i saw some scenes and the cast is weak compare to VM cast..not comparable imo. And it lacks Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero's smart humor.  Although there is Skeet Ulrich (my Scream crush..although the character was a total psycho..haha) and Madchen Amick from brilliant Twin Peaks in the cast..but the show is focused on the teenagers characters i think so..

Edited by pau
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, pau said:

Ok Riverdale..and i think, i found it but i don't know the character's names..so i will say..the blond girl and the guy with the famous quote: 'i am a weirdo'..i think i won..haha

You did! It's actually a really good show and those two actors have really great chemistry despite the fact that I think when the show started they wanted different pairings and changed their mind. It worries me for the next season what they plan to do.

But that's how I felt with KB and JD, they had such great chemistry and then season 2 happened and I was legitimately confused with the route they took. 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, helent said:

On 9/16/2017 at 0:01 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah I always assumed Veronica thought Carrie was making up bits and pieces of the Duncan story, based on the tactless words that she used. And I kind of do have to agree on the gossip thing, Carrie was telling the story in the high school bathroom. Obviously a gossiper but all the same, Carrie was trying to do right by Susan and was taking the heat for her friend there.

I think Veronica judged all the 09ers as evil incarnate once she made her choice to side with Keith on Lily's murder and while she may be right in some cases, I think for some of them, they didn't have a reason to be loyal to her because they didn't really know her and were never that close to her to begin with? Or maybe that's just how I kind of view it. I mean yes a lot of them were just plain awful people but I feel that some of them didn't have any sort of friendship with her to begin with, from what we gather in flashbacks of Veronica Pre Lily's death she seemed wrapped up in her relationship with Duncan and her friendship with Lily and just being a yes girl to whatever lily said to do. Veronica back then didn't make many of her own choices, friendship wise. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much about this.

I'm not sure that you've got it right. My impression is that Veronica was friends with Lilly for a long time, that their friendship predates some of the clique stuff, so I think you are correct that she knew a lot of the '09ers but wasn't buddies with them. This is actually the point of the Carrie bathroom gossip scene, Veronica may have been accepted to her face because of Lilly but a lot of people resented her for being above her station. Not Meg, not everyone, as Meg points out in an earlier show, but a number of them.

Also, note that Veronica made friends with Yolanda and brought her into the group to be friends with Lilly, not to the party to be friends with the 09ers. Veronica is the one who vets people for Lilly, not the other way around! Veronica apparently has relationships with a number of people, such as Wanda, who aren't '09ers. In the beginning of the show, although she is busy, she makes new friends, works to keep them, and keeps them as lifelong contacts. She isn't Lilly's lapdog, she does follow that  order from Lilly and clearly immediately feels badly about it, you see that in the flashback, and when she thinks of Yolanda that is the first thing she notices. It is a guilty memory.

Also, this is a tv show, so thinking do we every see Madison do anything not bitchy (and not in a good way?). Do we ever see Dick do anything that isn't hateful to Veronica, even in the movie? She develops relationships with Casey, clearly Carrie in this one, talks kindly to Susan, and generally gets along with the '09ers when they are receptive.

I just lost a message, so here is the short version.

I loved the dye explosion, especially keith crowing over it. It shows something about their relationship, two dominant personalities and whatever else is happening  they are always trying to get the better of the other. I think he treats her as an adult, and this is part of it but he isn't treating her like an equal. He is still the one with the upper hand, he thinks, and this season is him learning that he may not have the upper hand and he may not be able to control her and make her do what he wants when push comes to shove. (thinking this isn't like weird, it is an analogy for kids in highschool growing up and away from their parents). Second season he is trying to push the cat back into the cat carrier with both leather gloved hands. Spoiler, it doesn't work.

Logan coming to Veronica. Wrapped around himself, his sweater in a feminine style, his body smaller than it is, retiring"I just want to know she's all right" is one of (what I think) of his common movie script lines, more mature that he is. He is totally a damsel in this scenario and that is why Veronica takes him on. She doesn't completely get it, when they see the movie of his mother falling she thinks that he is better off for knowing, she would want that kind of proof, but he is actually (subtly) reeling as he leaves the room. Logan usually says things that aren't true, things he's scripted, the physical gesture communicates the truth. Veronica really doesn't get Logan's desire to run from the truth, she runs towards it, even when it hurts. I think they learn to care for each other but I think the understanding comes hard for both of them.

Veronica is right throughout this show, given the information she has, but when she learns she is wrong she shifts lanes without hesitation and without beating herself unduly and she makes it right. I think this defines her behavior through out the show. It also provides a filter to see some other behaviors that people like less, like some of the decisions she makes concerning her relationship with Logan.

Susan Knight's reluctance to undergo the shame of being used by this scum of a teacher, unwillingness to endure the public shame, is not too dissimilar from Logan's unwillingness to make his father's abuse public. I think I see a parallel.

• Love 1

Thinking about lip gloss. I never saw Gossip Girls so no great affection built in. She seemed old, possessed like Veronica but we never see any weakness unless bitchiness is a weakness. I think you could probably create a back story where Veronica 'got' Carrie at some point in the past, thus setting up their animosity.

I'll give a clue though, it's a show found on The CW and a show that always makes me feel too old for watching but when I started watching it, I thought it would it be a fun guilty pleasure only to end up finding it ridiculously compelling. 

@WhosThatGirl you're not alone-- Bughead (Betty and Jughead) is a chemistry factory!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

^ Not disagreeing with your premise here, because duh ;) but let's nudge ourselves back towards VM as a topic. Thanks!

Sorry about that, I'm the one who veered off topic. 

Back to VM: I agree that this episode shifted us back to the core Mystery of this season(along with the MOW of course but the Lily's real killer was taking a backseat at times) so that was nice. 

Im more excited for the podcast of the next episode because that's one of my favorites. 

I'm reading the archived TWOP recap of this episode, and it once again is making me laugh conspicuously and somewhat inappropriately at work. 

"She changes the screen with the practiced keystroke of someone who spends an awful lot of time reading recaps instead of working. No need to blush, everyone."

Ah, John's recaps still give me life. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
On 18/09/2017 at 5:56 PM, Affogato said:

Logan coming to Veronica. Wrapped around himself, his sweater in a feminine style, his body smaller than it is, retiring"I just want to know she's all right" is one of (what I think) of his common movie script lines, more mature that he is. He is totally a damsel in this scenario and that is why Veronica takes him on. She doesn't completely get it, when they see the movie of his mother falling she thinks that he is better off for knowing, she would want that kind of proof, but he is actually (subtly) reeling as he leaves the room. Logan usually says things that aren't true, things he's scripted, the physical gesture communicates the truth. Veronica really doesn't get Logan's desire to run from the truth, she runs towards it, even when it hurts. I think they learn to care for each other but I think the understanding comes hard for both of them.

THAT i agree with you, i agree with your description of this scene. And really, the subtlety from both actors in this scene is so enjoyable to watch.

JD as Logan can show masculinity and feminity in the same movement, gesture and/or glance..it is so human..and maybe european..i don't know..i comes from Europe and people act like that in Europe, i don't want to make differences but i can talk about what i know and witness everyday..it is so real to me and so different from the usual 'all american' tv generic acting..i really loved how he almost protect himself with his jacket..it showed vulnerability, feminity, humanity at the same time..really simple but great/powerful acting choice.