Type keyword(s) to search

The Best of Days

• Start Topic

We seem to talk a lot about the show's best storylines, so I thought it might be handy to have one thread where we could each list the storylines we thought were the best in the show's 50-plus year run.

I haven't been watching the show all that time and from reading other people's comments, I'm kind of glad. It sounds like a lot of storylines got recycled to the detriment of the characters participating, and other characters were thrown under the bus after a promising set-up.

If you had to tell somebody which storylines were the best ones the show ever did, which would you nominate? What's the cream of the crop here?

Somewhat predictably, I will nominate the entire Kristen storyline from the day she arrived until the day she left in the mid-90s. That's a few years of plot, but I can't think of an instance where the narrative took a misstep. True, the arrival of Susan Banks certainly caused a change in tone, but I think Eileen Davidson did amazing work throughout and it would be easy to believe this was the same character on one long entertaining journey from naive good girl to loving Leading Lady and finally to obsessed schemer.

I will also nominate Will's Coming Out storyline with Chandler Massey, which not only got the show a lot of positive publicity but showed how a series that had become well-known for outlandish stunts and gimmicks could offer a sensitive portrayal of a character going through a difficult transition.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

We seem to talk a lot about the show's best storylines, so I thought it might be handy to have one thread where we could each list the storylines we thought were the best in the show's 50-plus year run.

I haven't been watching the show all that time and from reading other people's comments, I'm kind of glad. It sounds like a lot of storylines got recycled to the detriment of the characters participating, and other characters were thrown under the bus after a promising set-up.

If you had to tell somebody which storylines were the best ones the show ever did, which would you nominate? What's the cream of the crop here?

Somewhat predictably, I will nominate the entire Kristen storyline from the day she arrived until the day she left in the mid-90s. That's a few years of plot, but I can't think of an instance where the narrative took a misstep. True, the arrival of Susan Banks certainly caused a change in tone, but I think Eileen Davidson did amazing work throughout and it would be easy to believe this was the same character on one long entertaining journey from naive good girl to loving Leading Lady and finally to obsessed schemer.

I will also nominate Will's Coming Out storyline with Chandler Massey, which not only got the show a lot of positive publicity but showed how a series that had become well-known for outlandish stunts and gimmicks could offer a sensitive portrayal of a character going through a difficult transition.

Great topic.  I second your Kristen storyline and within that I nominate the Princess Gina storyline, which was a huge umbrella storyline that lead into the Maison Blanche and Aremid Storylines. 

Hope's return as Gina, Lexie's paternity coming out, the introduction of Celeste, Peter and Kristen's history, Rachel Blake as the woman in white, Introduction of Greta Von Umberg, etc. 

• Love 1

My favourite of all time storyline is The Pawn. From the mystery of who is he, to the scene of him unpeeling the bandages in front of the mirror, to Marlena believing he was really Roman, to John and Isabella's love story, to the affair and the birth of Belle. 

• Love 4

I loved the storyline of Mike Hortons paternity. So many storyline move so quickly now, that one took years.  There were so many twists and turns as Bill and Laura tried to keep the secret that Bill, not Mickey was Mike's father. Tommy Hortons ex wife Kitty learned the truth and she and Bill fought. When Kitty died, Bill was charged with her death which lead him going to prison. His cell mate was Doug Williams. (That eventually lead to the Doug and Julie love story. ) I remember Mickey having an affair with Linda Patterson, and Linda claiming that Mickey was the father of her daughter Melissa. Laura and Bill knew that Mickey was sterile and couldn't be Melissa's father. But they couldn't tell Mickey without revealing that he wasn't Mike's father. Stories don't have to be campy and crazy, or action adventure to have great drama.

• Love 5

I never watched it, but one of the soapiest storylines was when Marie Horton was in a relationship with a young man who worked at the hospital.  It turned out that he was her brother, Tommy, who had been thought killed in Korea.  Instead, he had had amnesia, and had gotten plastic surgery.  Marie wound up becoming a nun as a result.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I never watched it, but one of the soapiest storylines was when Marie Horton was in a relationship with a young man who worked at the hospital.  It turned out that he was her brother, Tommy, who had been thought killed in Korea.  Instead, he had had amnesia, and had gotten plastic surgery.  Marie wound up becoming a nun as a result.

That was before I started watching too. But my mom watched Days from the first episode and I think I learned about it from her. That was a very daring storyline back then. 

Another storyline I enjoyed was Brooke Hamilton/Stephanie Woodruff. Brooke was David Banning's fiance. She and Julie did not get along. David was in an accident and presumed dead. That's when he became involved with Valerie Grant. Brooke learned she was the daughter of Bob Anderson, who was married to Julie at the time. Later David returned and after he and Brooke broke up, Brooke was in a car accident and presumed dead. Months later a young woman named Stephanie Woodruff showed up in Salem. Stephanie was really Brooke after having plastic surgery. I remember Stephanie burning off her fingerprints (it was either a hot coffee pot or skillet) in order to keep anyone from discovering her identity. I enjoyed Days in the eighties, but the seventies were my favorite storylines. 

• Love 1

I've loved a lot of Days storylines, and I've also hated my fair share. So, with that being said, my pick for best goes to Jack is Billy. I loved Steve and Kayla and their falling in love on the run stuff, but then they needed a new obstacle to really tear them apart and this was perfect. I loved Steve's backstory of being dropped at the orphanage and that being a big part of his issues about trusting people. I loved the actress that played his mother, and how she made you want Steve to forgive her. Although, you wanted to smack Steve upside the head, you could almost forgive him for pushing Kayla away to help his little brother. Then, when, it all fell apart because someone was poisoning her and he couldn't stay away, Jack does something horrible that Steve and Kayla have to live with forever. Days has never been better for me. 

• Love 8

I  have loved and hated this show for years. I will say that Days has had the best couples in all of daytime. I think that the show trying to deny this has affected them in the ratings. My favorite stories were  the ones featuring Kim and Shane. What was so good about them was that they were an accidental surprise. Shane was meant to be a day player as a butler working in Hope's home. The viewers were intrigued by him and he stayed on the show. Kim was being tested with Tony and other men on the show. A producer saw the interaction off the show between Patsy and Charlie and the show went in that direction and the rest is history.

I loved Kim and Shane for the simple reason that he was her knight in shining armor. He never judged her. He  always encouraged her to be better, not for anybody, but for herself. Kim was always her own worst enemy that stemmed from her horrific past of incest and sexual abuse. Watching Kim and Shane fall in love was magical.   Their coming together in England was really good, where they made love for the first time. The Miami storyline where they took on Victor their main antagonist was a wonder to behold and the fallout from that , drove stories for Kim and Shane for years.  Kim and Shane were the most tortured couple in the history of the show. Their main obstacle of being together  was always internal with external forces exacerbating their problems. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

Kim and Shane were my favorite supercouple. I never much cared for Bo and Hope,  John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, etc. But I didn't miss a second of Kim and Shane.  I had forgotten that Kimberly had originally been brought on as a love interest for Tony. Back then Days listened to the fans and went with what the audience wanted.  They haven't listened to the fans for a couple of years. Maybe things will change with Ron.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, tawny411 said:

Kim and Shane were my favorite supercouple. I never much cared for Bo and Hope,  John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, etc. But I didn't miss a second of Kim and Shane.  I had forgotten that Kimberly had originally been brought on as a love interest for Tony. Back then Days listened to the fans and went with what the audience wanted.  They haven't listened to the fans for a couple of years. Maybe things will change with Ron.

They are my favorite as well...They had the best theme song, friends and lovers. I loved everything about them.   It is why I was so disappointed with Theresa, I hate that name. Her name is Jeannie, named after Shane's mother..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I started watching in 1984 around Bo/Hope's New Orleans adventure, so Kim and Shane were my first Days supercouple.  I always loved their story, but I have to admit along came Steve and Kayla, and Kim/Shane became my second favorite.  I even liked Jeannie Theresa because she was their kid (also, I liked Jen Lilley).  Part of the problem with filming so far in advance, they can't judge the audience reaction and change stories because they listen to the fans.  

• Love 3

I liked the Steve/Kayla/Jack story and the stories within those such as the Johnson family, the deaf storyline, Jack as Billy, etc. 

Jack's redemption was wonderfully done IMO. The scene that hooked me forever with this story was when Jack and Kayla were talking outside of Lawrence's villa. He sincerely apologized to Kayla. Excellent work by MA and MBE. 

Isabella's death still gets me now. It might seem morbid to say a death was beautiful, but the way it was written was beautiful. A young woman struck down at such a young age. Staci played this so well that I had to have tissue on hand each day while watching. Tragically sad, but so well done. 

The Curtis Brown murder was one that really got me on a personal level. So much came out of this story. Billie's abuse at the hands of her father, Kate being revealed as Austin and Billie's mother, Kristen finally realizing who Stefano really was etc. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mj2000 said:

Jack's redemption was wonderfully done IMO. The scene that hooked me forever with this story was when Jack and Kayla were talking outside of Lawrence's villa. He sincerely apologized to Kayla. Excellent work by MA and MBE. 

I would say that was the best storyline in the history of DAYS...Wonderfully, written, nuanced and acted...

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Somebody's been  posting past WilSon story lines over the past few days.  She's up to Will being shot and Arianna being born.

They'll probably be taken down soon.

That's my friend. Her FB page has every Chandler scene and every Sonny scene. She started in 2011 with Chandler's first day of Will...and throughout the WilSon stuff, the PaulSon stuff and the Horita stuff. She clips Ari and any mention of Will while he was "dead." They're numbered, etc...
She also does BruCas for GH.

PM me if you want the FB link. She's been kicked off YouTube (2 sep channels) for awhile now.
Isa also clips but it's not her stuff and she adds songs so she does't get booted.

• Love 2
On 9/19/2017 at 4:50 AM, mj2000 said:

I liked the Steve/Kayla/Jack story and the stories within those such as the Johnson family, the deaf storyline, Jack as Billy, etc. 

Isabella's death still gets me now. It might seem morbid to say a death was beautiful, but the way it was written was beautiful. A young woman struck down at such a young age. Staci played this so well that I had to have tissue on hand each day while watching. Tragically sad, but so well done. 

The Curtis Brown murder was one that really got me on a personal level. So much came out of this story. Billie's abuse at the hands of her father, Kate being revealed as Austin and Billie's mother, Kristen finally realizing who Stefano really was etc. 

I haven't watched in years because...well.. it's awful now, but I saw this thread and had to check it out.  I agree with everything you said.  Jack was life. I loved him so much.  I remember the first scene I ever saw:  I was a kid and my younger brother was watching two guys fight on a rooftop (Jack and Steve - I think). We thought it was so cool and we were both hooked.  Also, I will never forget Isabella's death. That was one of the most beautiful things I've (still) ever seen on TV.

It's interesting reading the thread and seeing a theme.  I know the 80's era of "super couples" are long gone, but I didn't realize how "romance novel" the storylines were.  I mean every storyline back then was taken right out of a housewife's dream book.  Bad boy is irredeemable until he meets the good girl he can't live without.  *sigh*  Now it's all musical chair couples.  yuck.  No wonder the ratings are in the trash.  Seriously, producers, go to your local library and pick up any romance novel - let's get that magic back.

• Love 2

I loved the RoJohn (to John)/Isabella love story and "loved" (as that sounds weird/sick) her death and how respectful to the couple it was. Made all the more poignant because - no small feat on this show unless an actor really dies - Isabella remained dead.

Loved Hope returning as Gina as well as Peter Reckell's return as Bo during that storyline. It then made sense for "his" Bo to return to Hope, whereas RKK didn't have that much spark with KA.

As cheesy as it was, I liked the Cruise of Deception. (Minus the whole Hope "dying" in a cage bit...) I remember, at that time, thinking Julie/Victor were going to hook up. Victor must like Horton women, blood or otherwise.

Oh, and I loved everything about the Chichen Itza remote/story. From Bo/Carly's (I loved Round 1, hated Round 2 of them, BTW!) Mayan "unofficial" wedding to Bo proclaiming John was still his brother along with Roman (which makes Shawn/Belle still eeeewww to me; ditto Theresa/Brady), and Isabella telling John she was pregnant. Didn't hurt that they were REALLY in Mexico and they had the gorgeous scenery! (It's one of the few arcs I'd kill to see again. Not likely with YT removing all kinds of soap-related videos. Sigh!)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I loved the RoJohn (to John)/Isabella love story and "loved" (as that sounds weird/sick) her death and how respectful to the couple it was. Made all the more poignant because - no small feat on this show unless an actor really dies - Isabella remained dead.

Loved Hope returning as Gina as well as Peter Reckell's return as Bo during that storyline. It then made sense for "his" Bo to return to Hope, whereas RKK didn't have that much spark with KA.

As cheesy as it was, I liked the Cruise of Deception. (Minus the whole Hope "dying" in a cage bit...) I remember, at that time, thinking Julie/Victor were going to hook up. Victor must like Horton women, blood or otherwise.

Oh, and I loved everything about the Chichen Itza remote/story. From Bo/Carly's (I loved Round 1, hated Round 2 of them, BTW!) Mayan "unofficial" wedding to Bo proclaiming John was still his brother along with Roman (which makes Shawn/Belle still eeeewww to me; ditto Theresa/Brady), and Isabella telling John she was pregnant. Didn't hurt that they were REALLY in Mexico and they had the gorgeous scenery! (It's one of the few arcs I'd kill to see again. Not likely with YT removing all kinds of soap-related videos. Sigh!)

Amen! Isabella's death was written by Sherry Anderson..It is why she is the best..She also wrote the Bo/Carly romance..

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:29 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I loved when they had the remote stories & had the beautiful scenery, it just added so much to the romance & ambiance...I remember Bo climbing up the Mayan pyramid in Chichen Itza...it was all so exciting!  And when John/Marlena had their wedding on-location in Hawaii...it was beautiful.  Too bad they don't have the budget anymore...but I wish they would just go outside around LA & do some garden shots, or beach shots(last time we saw the beach was when Brady was rescuing that girl(don't remember her name) out of the ocean.  And yes, I loved the Cruise of Deception, it was So Soapy, but romantic & exciting...I could not wait to watch each days episodes.

(last time we saw the beach was when Brady was rescuing that girl(don't remember her name)

Summer and yeah, it drives me bonkers that Dena did a location shoot for that waste of a character/storyline.

At least for the Hong Kong scenes a few weeks ago they could have walked down a street with a bunch of Asisn extras or something...it doesn't have to be grand or opulent to round out the world of the show.

Here's hoping the Jarlena wedding to come is a destination event.

• Love 1

I fucking loved the Salem High Class of 2002 storyline, which covered three years. The heroes and the villains were well-cast, and Chloe's centerpiece as the bullied yet beautiful girl was pretty well-done. I loved that sophomore and junior years basically had the throughline of what bullying was like, and the toxic environment that people like Jan Spears were cultivating at the school. They really took their time with it, and it was a pretty riveting teen scene.

Of course, Rex and Cassie came in with college and it all imploded from there, but it was still a wonderful teen scene.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Jumping off of the post by @Apprentice79 in another thread about Jack and Isabella's friendship, the scene where she tells Jack she's dying still makes me cry.

I've watched this many times. It still gets me every time. Such a beautiful but tragic story.

• Love 3