Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Resurgence

Season Finale:

A shooting at a nearby college sends TC (Eoin Macken), Jordan (Jill Flint), Drew (Brendan Fehr) and Amira (guest star Rana Roy) into the field, where they assist Rick (guest star Luke Macfarlane) with a deadly situation. Scott (Scott Wolf) implements a new training program and locks horns with Julian (guest star James McDaniel). Drew (Brendan Fehr) struggles with frustrations about going to Army Ranger School while Shannon (Tanaya Beatty) and TC both contemplate their future at San Antonio Memorial.

This felt like a two hour finale that was cut down to one.   We never saw Hannah confront her parents, our evil left wing terrorist disappeared without even a cursory glance at her motivations, and Wyatt whom I originally thought was going to be the speaker the SJWs were targeting just needed to learn that he already had thousands of children so losing the ability to have biological children is really no big deal.  

I understand Drew wants to be a ranger, but unless he's going back into active service why would the Army pay for his training?

• Love 4

Did Amira and Jordan manage to discuss their relationships with TC like adults?  How refreshing.

Wyatt whom I originally thought was going to be the speaker the SJWs were targeting

Personal preference here, but I find that term really insulting and dismissive.  And a bunch of terrorists, no matter the ideology they grew out of, are not the same thing as the the people who try to enact their beliefs through peaceful advocacy.  I find a lot of conservative beliefs repugnant, but I wouldn't lump every conservative in with the KKK and Neo-Nazis.

Edited by starri
  • Love 4

I didn't think TC could look any more UN-attractive, but TC in civilian clothes at that dance was disgusting in the worst way. I like long hair on guys, but come on, TC, borrow a comb or some shampoo or something. You looked skanky and, frankly, scary. Would I believe he's a doctor? No way. As for Shannon, she went back to the res, it showed at the very end. Actually, this was sort of like the series finale since it showed where everyone is in the future. And Drew ... you don't get married and have a child, then run off to wherever. Sometimes you have to "give up your dream" because of RL and RL commitments.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This was preempted by NFL football on my local station but I just have one question:  Is Shannon leaving?

Kinda.  She told Jordan she was looking at other opportunities, including returning to the reservation clinic where the two of them met.  Jordan then proposed that she go back to the res for six weeks, come back to SAM, and they'd play it by ear from there.

I don't know, the show seemed to set up a bunch of graceful exits should the show get another season and they have additional cast changes.  I imagine the new trainee Army doctor (medic?) played by Missy Peregrym might be an addition for a hypothetical fifth season, and I'd fully onboard with that.

In spite of myself, I thought this was a fairly solid season, once you accept the Topher-shaped hole.  I honestly do think the all-vet episode may have been the show's best.

And Drew and Rick even managed a peck on the lips.  I hope it was a brief enough exposure that Brendan Fehr didn't need to take a Silkwood Shower.

• Love 5

I agree that the all-vet episode was the show's best.  This was disappointing in many ways, including the swerve back to 1970s political correctness with the shooter being left wing radicals.  They might as well have called themselves the Symbionese Liberation Army or the Baader-Meinhof gang or the FLQ..

The Hannah storyline was okay but just barely.  She was really only a prop to push Shannon into deciding to find another residency.  And what was it with Shannon and Paul being involved in the exercise?  Just because the hospital was training army doctors and medics shouldn't mean that the residents already there have to participate.

I also didn't like the "having biological children is the best, but teaching is okay too".  How about doing something for children who are disadvantaged and living in poverty right now?

I also didn't like TC dumping Amira so he can stay and help Jordan but I suppose it was inevitable they would do it  for the TC/Jordan shippers.

Still, if it doesn't get another season, I'll miss it.

Missy Peregrym played a medic who has the potential to be on the show next season. Rachel Lefebre was also supposed to be in this episode playing an Army major who might be on next season too but I think they cut her out entirely.

They splurged a bit with the guest cast for the finale I see!  Missy Peregrym as the new medic (definitely got the sense they are setting her up to appear full time next season if the show is picked up.)  Hell on Wheels' Kasha Kropinski as the lead shooter (no doubt a decent amount of viewers are either going to love or hate that they made her a liberal nut, gunning after conservatives and cops.)  But the one that threw me for a loop was Holly Taylor from The Americans playing the girl Shannon and Paul were helping.  It was just weird seeing someone from an Emmy caliber, prestige show slumming it here.  I guess any work is good work, but it would be like if Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad suddenly showed up on Salvation or a Game of Thrones actor guest on an episode of Zoo.

Definitely felt rushed and like a lot of stuff got cut out.  Scott and TC still are in the dark about Annie.  And no one seems to really give a shit about Cain disappearing.  I guess we're just suppose to assume the cartel buried him in the desert somewhere.  Although, again, we all know that he really escaped and is going to hide up in Riverdale and pretend to be Veronica's dad!

I love Brendan Fehr here (really, since his Roswell days), but he really is way too obvious about how uncomfortable he is with kissing another guy.  He might even be worse then Kerr Smith was on Dawson's Creek.  Luke Macfarlane has had more physical interaction with Aaron Ashmore on Killjoys over Fehr here, and they're just brothers on the former show!

It feels like they ended it in a way that can serve as a series finale, but still open for more episodes.  Shannon heads back to the reservation, but is getting assistance from Jordan, while Paul has gone with Amira overseas.  Kenny actually marries Bella (I hope this mean she'll be back, since Erica Tazel is awesome) and is bonding with Julian.  Drew is trying out for ranger school with Rick's blessing, but seems to be struggling.  And T.C. decides to stay and help Jordan and Scott over going back to Syria, because, duh, he'll always pick Jordan over anyone else.  I do wonder if NBC will bring it back or not.  If they do, I'll still watch since it's still entertaining summer fare.  I do miss Topher though (and it sucks that Ken Leung's new show, Inhumans, apparently sucks.  Sure they can reveal that Topher actually didn't die?!)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I love Brendan Fehr here (really, since his Roswell days), but he really is way too obvious about how uncomfortable he is with kissing another guy.  He might even be worse then Kerr Smith was on Dawson's Creek.

Oh, he's worse than Kerr Smith.

A) It's 2017, B) unlike Kerr Smith, he knew going in he was playing a gay man, C) he's played gay before, D) it's 2017.

At least I've never caught him wiping his mouth after having to make contact with male lips, which gives him that small advantage over Kerr Smith.

I can buy Drew as being a guy uncomfortable with PDA, but considering how much of Rick we were lucky enough to see this season, and how despite Fehr, Rick and Drew have legitimate chemistry, I can think of at least three or four points where actual spouses would have kissed, instead of hugged.  They hug a lot.

It's really making Drew a lot less appealing.

• Love 6
On 9/1/2017 at 10:49 AM, Ohwell said:

This was preempted by NFL football on my local station

My TV grid said The Night Shift would start at 10:30 due to football... and then when I turned it on at 10:30, the episode was already half over. I find myself disinclined to go back and rewatch the first half on NBC.com, but what happened with Cain?

12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It was just weird seeing someone from an Emmy caliber, prestige show slumming it here.  I guess any work is good work, but it would be like if Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad suddenly showed up on Salvation or a Game of Thrones actor guest on an episode of Zoo.

Kind of like the time Iain Glen turned up on Haven? I've never watched The Americans, but I think it has the same creator as Justified, and I've long been amused how many Justified actors end up appearing on The Night Shift. I'm assuming they must have someone who worked there on the production team, or they share a casting director, or something.

As for the finale (or at least the part of it I saw), I'm kind of tired of how Jordan has ended up as everyone's "person" (to use a Grey's Anatomy cliche). Why was she the one giving the speech at Kenny's party? I know TC needed to change his mind about leaving, but honestly I think anyone giving a speech with the same message combined with what Jordan said to TC earlier would have worked just as well. Maybe it got explained earlier in the episode during the part I missed, but wouldn't Paul be the obvious choice of speech giver, given he's Kenny's roommate/ close friend and Bella's brother? I actually enjoyed Jordan more this season than previously, but it just seemed like she was shoehorned into any scene where someone needed a shoulder to lean on or a friend to talk to, like the movie scene with Drew a few episodes ago. I miss all the great friendships we had from earlier seasons; it's like when they got rid of characters like Topher and Krista, they didn't bother building up any new friendships with either new or existing characters, and everyone just turns to Jordan by default.

If there is another season, I'm not excited for Missy P. I would be excited for Erica Tazel, if she sticks around. And assuming Robert Bailey, Jr., isn't leaving, I guess we'll be getting a third season in a row with one character spending time overseas and separated from the hospital? 

1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I actually enjoyed Jordan more this season than previously, but it just seemed like she was shoehorned into any scene where someone needed a shoulder to lean on or a friend to talk to, like the movie scene with Drew a few episodes ago

In fairness, they started building a closeness between Jordan and Drew last season, where they kind of used her to sub for Krista and Syd.  Brendan Fehr and Jill Flint have good friend chemistry; it seemed surprisingly organic.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I guess any work is good work, but it would be like if Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad suddenly showed up on Salvation or a Game of Thrones actor guest on an episode of Zoo.

Nonso Anozie was on Game of Thrones (I watch) and is a regular on Zoo (don't watch).