Type keyword(s) to search

Growing Up Supermodel - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm watching episode 7. Cambrie is declining Atiana's invitation to participate in Shanna's Smoak cosmetics shoot. When Atiana explains how her mom came up with the name, Cambrie says, "Cute." Just a whiff of condescension. Then she refers to herself in the third-person. If she's this pompous already, I can't imagine how awful she'll be if she actually hits it big

I wouldn't worry, I am sure that won't happen.  Her body is ok but her face - yikes!  She's a butterface.

• Love 1

So I semi-binged the entire season which was more than a mouth full.

I think the show is mistitled because it doesn't appear that any of them, with the exception of maybe Cairo and Arissa, are pursuing being a supermodel. Maybe it's a play on the mom's, but only Beverly would have been considered a true supermodel of the bunch. 

Family by family:

The Le Brock's: If there was a show about the dangers of plastic surgery, Kelly should sign up asap. That said, I think her perspective and down to earth feel helped balance the show. Arissa, on the other hand, drove me nuts. Like you're the oldest, take some responsibility for your actions. I found the last few episodes to be really sad when Arissa kept saying, "I'm finally making in..." when in reality we know that once this show is gone she won't be in any better place than she is.

The Peele's: No. Just no. Cairo is uniquely beautiful when she styles her hair right, but she is far from a supermodel. She will never be a supermodel. Focus on print or commercial work, but supermodel, I think not. I thought the lady at LA Models was doing her a favor, but at only 23, maybe college would be a better route? Beverly had good moments and obnoxious moments. 

The Belgium Guys: I tend to find Europeans come off extremely strange when stacked up to American norms and this was no different. The son is hot---and I feel like I need to see the inside of a confessional, but dad talked too much. If he would have just shut up, I would have liked him more---but I spent several years living in Europe and they're pretty normal in that part of the world. I think the son will go far if he keeps pursuing modeling. 

Shanna/Atiana: Clearly mom wants this for her daughter and daughter is going along for the ride. I found Shanna to be both obnoxious and funny, but her daughter just came off melancholy. I do think she photographs well and would do well in print and commercial work. 

Jack, Jake...whatever his name was: He had the most annoying mother---Krista showed way too many sides, played way too many people for me to keep track. I found her to be the easiest to hate. Clearly she was cast and he was another boy so it worked. Then I saw this picture and man...I would have never guessed this was him or that he was capable of this. Again, would probably be good in print and commercial if he cares enough to do it. He is shooting a new movie that I have never heard of so he's pursing it. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZR5TH2lAEa/?taken-by=jakemoritt

Last, but certainly not least, the triple trainwreck: Mom needs a therapist. Clearly the divorce is eating her alive and she needs help. I don't envy anyone who puts themselves on camera in the middle of a divorce. The younger daughter is plain, but she has the body of a supermodel (for now, we'll see after puberty finishes) so she'll do okay for now. Personality wise, if she called her mom by her first name one more time I was gonna try and smack her through my tv screen. Like, do you know how disrespect you seem? Just stop talking, you're 15 and think you know way more than you actually do. Cambrie is someone I want to hate because she's 20 and thinks she knows how the world works, but so do all 20 year olds. However, she clearly has the drive and skill to work for what she wants and is continually putting in the effort. She, imo, is the least naturally pretty but who make-up absolutely transforms. I could see her working for companies like ADIDAH or Nike or Under Armor...those types of brands. Again, not runway fashion but would make money. She's definitely part of the younger generation who is realizing exactly how much money is out there in social media and I can't hate her for making money off of it. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I wouldn't worry, I am sure that won't happen.  Her body is ok but her face - yikes!  She's a butterface.

Yikes, is right. I was impressed with what she could do physically at the Adidas shoot, but then I see her face (ergo, as you so aptly put, butterface). I can't even quite figure out what it is about her face that bugs me so much. Are her cheekbones too big? Is there too much flesh in her face? I am being so mean about someone I shouldn't care about. 

CAIRO'S NAILS omg! how the hell can you aspire to be a model with those unkept claws! Models maintain themselves, you cant be looking greasy and open-pored and try to market yourself as a model. Then you go and pick fights with the more successful kids- jealous much? Learn something from them- I would never ask you to walk a catwalk if you're gonna be making trouble with other girls. Furthermore- Calling out LA Models? Who do you think you are? The last person to call anyone entitled for sure. Stop trying to bask in your mother's fame and make a little effort maybe you'll get somewhere. Seeing that you like to tell it as it is, you shouldn't have a problem with criticism- If not LA Models was right you should consider another career. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

So I semi-binged the entire season which was more than a mouth full.

I think the show is mistitled because it doesn't appear that any of them, with the exception of maybe Cairo and Arissa, are pursuing being a supermodel. Maybe it's a play on the mom's, but only Beverly would have been considered a true supermodel of the bunch. 

- I respectfully disagree. Kelly was much more of a "name" model than Beverly ever was. I'm not talking about her work as an actress, but as striclty a model. She shot ALOT of magazine covers, and although I'm probably dating myself, she appeared in the top mags more than Beverly did.

I think Beverly was more successful as a catwalk model, though.

On 9/21/2017 at 3:28 PM, LemonSoda said:

Cairo bugs me because she's always had an entitled vibe. That she should be handed a big modeling career soley because she's Beverly Peele's daughter. Cairo is a uniquely pretty girl. But no where near Beverly's beauty in her prime. 

Yep, totally entitled. She needs to get a grip....and a chin.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Another more fitting name for this show might be Everybody Hates The Schroders.

Just to clarify, Andrea's interpretation of why Cambrie didn't want to do the Smoak shoot and what she told Beverly and Shanna wasn't that much worse than what Cambrie said, correct? 

No, it wasn't much different, but I think Andrea was at a point where it no longer mattered what she said---she was wrong. I also think Andrea went a little far when saying things like, "She doesn't want to be co-branded with kids who aren't at her level..." The delivery was much more crass with Andrea than Cambrie. 

And I don't fault Cambrie for saying no. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kitten59 said:

- I respectfully disagree. Kelly was much more of a "name" model than Beverly ever was. I'm not talking about her work as an actress, but as striclty a model. She shot ALOT of magazine covers, and although I'm probably dating myself, she appeared in the top mags more than Beverly did.

Cairo absofuckinglutely needs a CHIN!  

I'm really surprised no one, including her mom,  had suggested it. 

And Cambrie needs a FOREHEAD. And a reality check from a therapist stat abt spoiling her sister.  Really a mean girl to mom. 

Faith?  I don't care.  Don't like her.  Go act like an  adult at 15 and screw up your life.  Idiot.

Why don't these brats go live with their dad?  Give mom a fucking break and make dad the target of your stupid teen hormones.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, kitten59 said:

For all the supermodel talk, Beverly had a very, very short career. I was hoping the show would fill in some gaps about it but it never did. She had Cairo at 17 then seemed to drop off the face of the Earth. Actually, I should rephrase it as was no longer seen in magazines. She popped up here and there but nothing like the early momentum she had. 

Probably dating myself with this but Kelly had a great, well rounded career. Magazine covers, fashion editorials, spokesperson gigs (I remember when Pantene bottles were fancy with the gold cap. I felt special just holding the bottles), and the acting. Sometimes it bugs that she's only referenced for the hotness in Weird Science because for a model, she truly accomplished a lot. I remember an interview Gene Wilder gave about Lady In Red. He said for such a physically beautiful woman, Kelly had no ego about it. Then said he could see her retiring to the countryside. Which it looks like she's done. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, AmJam said:

CAIRO'S NAILS omg! how the hell can you aspire to be a model with those unkept claws! Models maintain themselves, you cant be looking greasy and open-pored and try to market yourself as a model. Then you go and pick fights with the more successful kids- jealous much? Learn something from them- I would never ask you to walk a catwalk if you're gonna be making trouble with other girls. Furthermore- Calling out LA Models? Who do you think you are? The last person to call anyone entitled for sure. Stop trying to bask in your mother's fame and make a little effort maybe you'll get somewhere. Seeing that you like to tell it as it is, you shouldn't have a problem with criticism- If not LA Models was right you should consider another career. 

I think she has a unique look but she's a little delusional about her own modeling capabilities. I could see her doing the artsy or instagram stuff. But high end fashion? No way. 

• Love 2

Arissa and Jake heard from Cambrie what she said and then how Andrea "misspoke" and both of them came to the conclusion that Cambrie said exactly what Andrea said she said.  I was much more impressed with Jake -- I knew Arissa had a lot of emotional intelligence, but I figured Jake was dumb.  Seems like he sees a lot more than I thought.  I like Arissa.  I think her mom did a pretty good job raising her.  I think Atiana is a wounded little bird.  Pretty, very pretty, but there's no way she'll make it in the big bad world of self-promotion and egotism that is the modern "modeling" world.  No matter how much Shanna pushes her, she won't take the steps necessary to get there.  Cambrie makes a good fitness-type model.  I can see her in Athleta or Title IX catalogues where you need that windswept, sun-kissed look.  Faith: meh, pretty, skinny, boring blonde. 

Maybe y'all can help me.  I am not a photo-guru.  I don't know what makes a good IG photo.  In the first or 2nd hour, the Shroeder girls were critiquing Jake's Instagram pix, saying how horrible they were.  To my admittedly untrained eye, I didn't see it.  I don't know why they were so bad; I get that Jake is unfortunate-looking, I think he's a lovely boy, but he's no model...but the photos looked fine to me.  Ah, it makes not a lot of difference in my world. A month ago I hadn't ever heard of any of these baby d-listers. 

Oh, and another LOL moment: during the Beverly Peele photo shoot, Faith was directed to "smile with your eyes.!"  She was told to SMIZE!  Had they actually used that term, would they have to pay Tyra Banks a royalty?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Maybe y'all can help me.  I am not a photo-guru.  I don't know what makes a good IG photo.  In the first or 2nd hour, the Shroeder girls were critiquing Jake's Instagram pix, saying how horrible they were.  To my admittedly untrained eye, I didn't see it.  I don't know why they were so bad; I get that Jake is unfortunate-looking, I think he's a lovely boy, but he's no model...but the photos looked fine to me.  Ah, it makes not a lot of difference in my world. A month ago I hadn't ever heard of any of these baby d-listers. 

I think that if the intent is to use Instagram to promote yourself as a model, then in the first shot, Jake looks a little awkward, not confident, and it looks more like a photo one would take while sightseeing, trying to show the background. I think he should be the focus of the shot. The second shot, the Schroders criticized for being a collage, which I guess is a big no-no, if agents or clients might be viewing this. All speculation on my part. 

• Love 1

Hello, everyone!  This is my first time posting about this show.  I just finished watching that marathon last four episodes.  I liked watching Kelly.  

It doesn't matter where this group of friends go in the world, whether it's a peaceful ranch or otherwise -- they will carry the drama around with them wherever they go.   I think out of all the moms involved in the never-ending arguments, Krista was the most reasonable and common sense mom there, perhaps with the exception of towards the end when she said Andrea is like a kid and that Andrea and the other Schroders should probably leave the ranch.  Beverly and Kelly are reasonable, too.  Janis's father lives in a world of rainbows and unicorns like the other parents said, and he shouldn't be so insistent on giving unsolicited advice on the others' marriages and families.  He wasn't very close to them when he started giving unsolicited advice.  

Andrea is very defensive and tends to bring drama wherever she goes, and her daughters tend to carry drama around too.  I don't know for sure, but maybe they take after her a little bit in that way.  Andrea didn't say the word "beneath" like people believe she did, but she did say the word "level," basically saying that her daughter Cambrie doesn't want to be part of a photo shoot or whatever business deal with people that are not at the "same level."  So of course Atiana's mom (I forget her name) and Beverly took that as saying Cambrie thought other daughters were "beneath" her, and it's a reasonable interpretation.    Andrea tried to apologize eventually to the group and revealed that she had practiced her apology speech.  Atiana's mom took that apology as being insincere because she practiced her speech, but I think she practiced it because she was anxious about giving the apology in front of the whole group in an atmosphere filled with drama.  I don't think Krista owed an apology to Andrea's daughters like Andrea suggested, and for Andrea to say at that time that she feels Krista doesn't like her, well, Krista did defend her towards the beginning of the season in front of the Schroder daughters.

That's enough for now.  It's been fun. lol

Edited by rollice
  • Love 4
On 9/21/2017 at 8:26 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm watching episode 7. Cambrie is declining Atiana's invitation to participate in Shanna's Smoak cosmetics shoot. When Atiana explains how her mom came up with the name, Cambrie says, "Cute." Just a whiff of condescension. Then she refers to herself in the third-person. If she's this pompous already, I can't imagine how awful she'll be if she actually hits it big. 

Agree!!! I doubt she will hit it big (thankfully). She doesn't have the look to hit it big IMO. She has average looks. Mix her in a crowd here and she would be lost in it. Yet so would most of them from this show really. The thing with Cambrie and Faith both is that they put themselves up on this pedestal and think to highly of themselves and their looks. They need to come back down off their because the reality is not what they think it is. Cambrie showed the kind of person in that scene with how she spoke to Atiana and then in her TH on it. If she seriously wanted to model she can't be bitchy about who she has pics taken with. It doesn't work that way for someone like her. Those 2 girls are going to get so much worse with their attitudes and egos as the years go on unless they end up knocked back into reality but I doubt they ever were in it to begin with....

On 9/22/2017 at 6:58 AM, cyberfruit said:

I think Cambrie will be okay in the long run. As snobby as she is, she's 20 years old. She's still at the age where her looks are everything and she always thinks she's right. Life doesn't talk smacking us down until 25. The reason why I think she'll be alright is because it's already been established that no one is allowed to:

1. Fuck with her burgeoning brand (hey, she's making steady money on IG. Steady money = brand).

2. Fuck with her image.

3. Fuck with her money. 

The fact that she's also a part-time yoga (?) teacher and has had low-wage service jobs in the past shows that she actually does have serious work ethic and drive. She'll never be on covers or major catwalks, true, but she can rake in good money on swimwear for the next ten years, while transitioning into her new career. If she's smart, and I genuinely think she is, she'll become a licensed instructor and continue in the athletic field. It suits her. 

Jury's still out on Faith, but she's 15 or 16 years old and Andrea is a harried parent who falls apart easily. Faith is the one who should have never been on TV; she's far too young physically and mentally. 

I don't think Cambrie has a serious worth ethic at all but its not along the lines of someone like Faith who thinks she can skirt by thanks to parents and the hopes of instagram modeling. *rollseyes* The whole "branding" thing with Cambrie is a joke. If bathing suits is her brand then I guess ok but as we say when the show started Atianna was told if one wants to make it as a model they can't be picky about jobs. If one has the chance to do a shoot that has a name behind it on the product you take it. Helping Shanna out would have been more high profile IMO then a bathing suit boutique in Malibu, kwim? Besides that whole "branding" thing was an excuse she used that didn't come off well at all but made her look more snobby then she already was. I do agree that Faith should not have been on tv at all. 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:46 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Another more fitting name for this show might be Everybody Hates The Schroders.

Just to clarify, Andrea's interpretation of why Cambrie didn't want to do the Smoak shoot and what she told Beverly and Shanna wasn't that much worse than what Cambrie said, correct? 

OMG IMO Cambrie threw Mom under the bus yet again. Cambrie basically told Atianna she was better then her and her mom with what she said I thought. Then in her TH wasn't to kind at all about things. Yet let's have Mom take the heat yet again instead of owning up to her own shit she started. Sorry but the whole bs she gave was a joke. The fact is she doesn't want to work with Atianna and she said so in her TH. She didn't like how pics came out with her. So because of that Faith followed suit. The girl thinks to highly of herself and needs to get a clue that she isn't all that. The attitude she has comes out and makes her very ugly IMO. 

On 9/23/2017 at 2:30 PM, LemonSoda said:

I think she has a unique look but she's a little delusional about her own modeling capabilities. I could see her doing the artsy or instagram stuff. But high end fashion? No way. 

Cairo, to me has facial features that would be great for makeup ads. She has lips that show off lipstick color with the size they are and her eyes work well for showing eye shadow off and liner. 

On 9/23/2017 at 4:52 PM, Red Bridey said:

Arissa and Jake heard from Cambrie what she said and then how Andrea "misspoke" and both of them came to the conclusion that Cambrie said exactly what Andrea said she said.  I was much more impressed with Jake -- I knew Arissa had a lot of emotional intelligence, but I figured Jake was dumb.  Seems like he sees a lot more than I thought.  I like Arissa.  I think her mom did a pretty good job raising her.  I think Atiana is a wounded little bird.  Pretty, very pretty, but there's no way she'll make it in the big bad world of self-promotion and egotism that is the modern "modeling" world.  No matter how much Shanna pushes her, she won't take the steps necessary to get there.  Cambrie makes a good fitness-type model.  I can see her in Athleta or Title IX catalogues where you need that windswept, sun-kissed look.  Faith: meh, pretty, skinny, boring blonde. 

Oh, and another LOL moment: during the Beverly Peele photo shoot, Faith was directed to "smile with your eyes.!"  

Arissa is a VERY smart girl from what we saw of her. She is a hell of a lot more mature as well then the rest of them. Kelly did an amazing job raising her. I know she wasn't thrilled with how she looked at the photo shoot but my husband and I were both saying how she looked beautiful. Same with Atiana. It was shitty the switch of the pics. The one Beverly had before she looked so much better in. Now the Faith thing...we were laughing at the "smile with your eyes" because her age she has no clue. Then to top it off we both thought she pretty much looked like a hooker in that get up. I was a bit surprised Beverly or her people picked that out for the youngest of the group. As well as the girl doesn't even know how to stand up straight ever. As for Jake, his picture and look to me says he should be doing skater/surfer type modeling. His look fits in with that sort of modeling. 

I don't know what makes a good instagram pic but I have a hard time buying those 2 girls are making even close to what Andrea claimed per picture. Especially if its for small boutique style stores trying to push their business. These girls only have a name because of who daddy is but even then most people may not know who he is that are a certain age. So they are just rich girls looking for money by posing in bathing suits for whoever and the pics are done by phone...so not buying it. Maybe a few hundred but not a $1k or $2k. Unless that was total for them both. LOL 

All I know is if I had someone like Beverly Peele telling me put this on and do this or that for pics, I'd do it. The lady knows what she is doing. I thought the pics of the 3 girls (Arissa, Atiana and Cairo) were beautiful looking. Those 3 somehow just click together and it works. They each complement each other in some way it looked like. If some how they could be hooked up to work together like that often it would be a good thing. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Agree!!! I doubt she will hit it big (thankfully). She doesn't have the look to hit it big IMO. She has average looks. Mix her in a crowd here and she would be lost in it. Yet so would most of them from this show really. The thing with Cambrie and Faith both is that they put themselves up on this pedestal and think to highly of themselves and their looks. They need to come back down off their because the reality is not what they think it is. Cambrie showed the kind of person in that scene with how she spoke to Atiana and then in her TH on it. If she seriously wanted to model she can't be bitchy about who she has pics taken with. It doesn't work that way for someone like her. Those 2 girls are going to get so much worse with their attitudes and egos as the years go on unless they end up knocked back into reality but I doubt they ever were in it to begin with....

I don't think Cambrie has a serious worth ethic at all but its not along the lines of someone like Faith who thinks she can skirt by thanks to parents and the hopes of instagram modeling. *rollseyes* The whole "branding" thing with Cambrie is a joke. If bathing suits is her brand then I guess ok but as we say when the show started Atianna was told if one wants to make it as a model they can't be picky about jobs. If one has the chance to do a shoot that has a name behind it on the product you take it. Helping Shanna out would have been more high profile IMO then a bathing suit boutique in Malibu, kwim? Besides that whole "branding" thing was an excuse she used that didn't come off well at all but made her look more snobby then she already was. I do agree that Faith should not have been on tv at all. 

OMG IMO Cambrie threw Mom under the bus yet again. Cambrie basically told Atianna she was better then her and her mom with what she said I thought. Then in her TH wasn't to kind at all about things. Yet let's have Mom take the heat yet again instead of owning up to her own shit she started. Sorry but the whole bs she gave was a joke. The fact is she doesn't want to work with Atianna and she said so in her TH. She didn't like how pics came out with her. So because of that Faith followed suit. The girl thinks to highly of herself and needs to get a clue that she isn't all that. The attitude she has comes out and makes her very ugly IMO. 

Cairo, to me has facial features that would be great for makeup ads. She has lips that show off lipstick color with the size they are and her eyes work well for showing eye shadow off and liner. 

Arissa is a VERY smart girl from what we saw of her. She is a hell of a lot more mature as well then the rest of them. Kelly did an amazing job raising her. I know she wasn't thrilled with how she looked at the photo shoot but my husband and I were both saying how she looked beautiful. Same with Atiana. It was shitty the switch of the pics. The one Beverly had before she looked so much better in. Now the Faith thing...we were laughing at the "smile with your eyes" because her age she has no clue. Then to top it off we both thought she pretty much looked like a hooker in that get up. I was a bit surprised Beverly or her people picked that out for the youngest of the group. As well as the girl doesn't even know how to stand up straight ever. As for Jake, his picture and look to me says he should be doing skater/surfer type modeling. His look fits in with that sort of modeling. 

I don't know what makes a good instagram pic but I have a hard time buying those 2 girls are making even close to what Andrea claimed per picture. Especially if its for small boutique style stores trying to push their business. These girls only have a name because of who daddy is but even then most people may not know who he is that are a certain age. So they are just rich girls looking for money by posing in bathing suits for whoever and the pics are done by phone...so not buying it. Maybe a few hundred but not a $1k or $2k. Unless that was total for them both. LOL 

All I know is if I had someone like Beverly Peele telling me put this on and do this or that for pics, I'd do it. The lady knows what she is doing. I thought the pics of the 3 girls (Arissa, Atiana and Cairo) were beautiful looking. Those 3 somehow just click together and it works. They each complement each other in some way it looked like. If some how they could be hooked up to work together like that often it would be a good thing. 

I totally agree with this post!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

That's what I was thinking too! Almay should hire her, Beverly did a lot of ads for them and what better way to showcase what beauty can be? Beauty  comes in different forms, faces, shapes and sizes. 

Edited by LemonSoda
iPad autocorrect changed a word
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, rollice said:

Hello, everyone!  This is my first time posting about this show.  I just finished watching that marathon last four episodes.  I liked watching Kelly.  

It doesn't matter where this group of friends go in the world, whether it's a peaceful ranch or otherwise -- they will carry the drama around with them wherever they go.   I think out of all the moms involved in the never-ending arguments, Krista was the most reasonable and common sense mom there, perhaps with the exception of towards the end when she said Andrea is like a kid and that Andrea and the other Schroders should probably leave the ranch.  Beverly and Kelly are reasonable, too.  Janis's father lives in a world of rainbows and unicorns like the other parents said, and he shouldn't be so insistent on giving unsolicited advice on the others' marriages and families.  He wasn't very close to them when he started giving unsolicited advice.  

Andrea is very defensive and tends to bring drama wherever she goes, and her daughters tend to carry drama around too.  I don't know for sure, but maybe they take after her a little bit in that way.  Andrea didn't say the word "beneath" like people believe she did, but she did say the word "level," basically saying that her daughter Cambrie doesn't want to be part of a photo shoot or whatever business deal with people that are not at the "same level."  So of course Atiana's mom (I forget her name) and Beverly took that as saying Cambrie thought other daughters were "beneath" her, and it's a reasonable interpretation.    Andrea tried to apologize eventually to the group and revealed that she had practiced her apology speech.  Atiana's mom took that apology as being insincere because she practiced her speech, but I think she practiced it because she was anxious about giving the apology in front of the whole group in an atmosphere filled with drama.  I don't think Krista owed an apology to Andrea's daughters like Andrea suggested, and for Andrea to say at that time that she feels Krista doesn't like her, well, Krista did defend her towards the beginning of the season in front of the Schroder daughters.

That's enough for now.  It's been fun. lol

I could be wrong but I get the vibe that because she married and became a parent so young, Andrea never grew out of or let go of her teen self. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, rollice said:

Oh, yeah.  I forgot about that.  That could be the case.  And maybe she never lived alone for long.

Given the time line, I'm not sure she ever lived on her own. It seems like she never really became her own person. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, rollice said:

Yeah, she seems so lost.  She's lost without Rick.

I liked watching Rick too, although he wasn't on the show for long.

Yeah even though she's a business owner, she seems to lack an identity of her own. I liked seeing him too. I was hoping he would be on this show more frequently. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, rollice said:

Exactly what I was thinking!  except I forgot she's a business owner. lol

I only knew about her candles because Ricky was bragging about them on one of those entertainment shows. I bought some out of curiosity as I'd never tried coconut oil candles before and I loved the scents. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, rollice said:

Cool!  I've never had coconut oil candles either.  

I thought Andrea talked about some business she had on the Growing Up Supermodels show.  Or maybe I'm confusing her with one of the other moms.

In an earlier episode some of the kids modeled with the candles. I like the candles. Its cringey because after seeing what a mess she is, I hesitate to support something with her name on it. But I've really enjoyed them. My other favorite candles (hollow tree) aren't easy to get in the U.S. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

I agreed with your entire post, but wanted to focus on this excerpt. I was surprised that Shanna switched out the photo. Beverly and Kelly, having been high fashion/runway models, know more about which photographs will best show off the young women's assets. I would listen to any advice that they gave me. I preferred the photo Beverly selected anyway. I thought Atiana looked beautiful in it. I'm not entirely sure that her heart is in modeling. That definitely comes more from Shanna. 

I also agree with you that Jake would work well as a lifestyle model (surfing/skating/etc.). Like Arissa, he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. He's a bit awkward, but doesn't seem to possess a mean bone in his body. Krista did a great job raising him. 

I'm just floored by the fact that most of these young folks have absentee fathers. Obviously JD's all about his family and Ricky's involved in his children's lives. I won't even get started on Steven and Oscar. I'm annoyed with them.

• Love 4

I like that Andrea runs her own business, despite the fact that her personal life is a mess. She's not hurting anyone but herself. Well, the divorce affects her daughters, but she doesn't carry that alone, since Ricky is their father.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I like that Andrea runs her own business, despite the fact that her personal life is a mess. She's not hurting anyone but herself. Well, the divorce affects her daughters, but she doesn't carry that alone, since Ricky is their father.

Yeah.  Maybe running her own business will help her form her own identity, eventually.

• Love 4

I finally finished watching the so-called marathon/episode burn off from Thursday.  While I agree that Andrea is irritating and that the Schroeder sister are seriously disrespectful to their mom, the others ganging up on them was just too much.  Andrea never actually said Cambrie thought the others were beneath her even if it was implied.  Yet the other mothers ran with it and the kids fed off that.  I agree that if the Schroeder sisters had switched their pictures, an angry mob would have formed.  Atiana does it and they all shrug.  

Oscar de la Hoya is a horrible dad.  His excuse of how he has a lot going on and that's why he didn't come to her birthday party? Pathetic.  Kudos to Travis Barker for continuing to be a father to her even though he and Shanna aren't together.   

I liked Ariana until the camping party at her house.  She was looking for something to snot about where the Schroeders were concerned.  At this point, don't invite them if you're just going to look for reasons to bitch about them.  ( I know, IRL they all wouldn't even hang out together that much and it's just for the show.  The show obviously needed a villain and the Schroeders are it. I just don't think they are that horrible besides the lack of respect the girls have for Andrea.  And how they don't want her to date. Ever.)

There is nothing "supermodel" about this group but I'm bummed it doesn't look like it will be back.  I enjoyed watching it. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Does Andrea sell candles and fragrances (the swimsuit shoot had them holding the roll-on fragrances, no)?

Yes. And they're quite nice candles too. I haven't tried the fragrances. 

2 hours ago, radiochik said:

I finally finished watching the so-called marathon/episode burn off from Thursday.  While I agree that Andrea is irritating and that the Schroeder sister are seriously disrespectful to their mom, the others ganging up on them was just too much.  Andrea never actually said Cambrie thought the others were beneath her even if it was implied.  Yet the other mothers ran with it and the kids fed off that.  I agree that if the Schroeder sisters had switched their pictures, an angry mob would have formed.  Atiana does it and they all shrug.  

Oscar de la Hoya is a horrible dad.  His excuse of how he has a lot going on and that's why he didn't come to her birthday party? Pathetic.  Kudos to Travis Barker for continuing to be a father to her even though he and Shanna aren't together.   

I liked Ariana until the camping party at her house.  She was looking for something to snot about where the Schroeders were concerned.  At this point, don't invite them if you're just going to look for reasons to bitch about them.  ( I know, IRL they all wouldn't even hang out together that much and it's just for the show.  The show obviously needed a villain and the Schroeders are it. I just don't think they are that horrible besides the lack of respect the girls have for Andrea.  And how they don't want her to date. Ever.)

There is nothing "supermodel" about this group but I'm bummed it doesn't look like it will be back.  I enjoyed watching it. 

Switching the photo was so wrong. I think Shanna and Atianna keep going for pageant model look instead of fashion. Oscar kind of abandoned her. His relationship with Shanna was a mess. I'm pretty certain Travis is the one who raised Atianna. That's the way it looked on their old reality show. 

I am hoping they'll give us another season. Any word if it's officially over? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, rollice said:

Yeah.  Maybe running her own business will help her form her own identity, eventually.

That's what I was thinking her thought process is. She is/was a Mormon. She's spent her entire adult life as Ricky's wife and a mom. Starting her own business was most likely about Andrea wanting to claim something that was all hers. Not that Ricky gives off the impression that he's ever held her back. I'm guessing he has loved her all these years, and probably still does. At the very least, she's the mother of all his children.

The way Cambrie and Faith treat her annoys me. They don't seem to give a rat's ass that their father is out there dating, but apparently, Andrea is supposed to sit at home knitting and worrying about them all the time. I wonder how Andrea's sons treat her.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I wonder how potential clients feel about all the tats. Jake and Cairo have a lot. 

I know that Photoshop and that sort of editing costs a lot of time and money.

Granted more young folks have tattoos, and this includes models, but it's always been my understanding that any model agent/manager would dissuade a newbie from getting one. After all, the tattoos would distract from the clothing, which is the point of a model's job. To show off the clothes in the most flattering way.

Maybe that's changed? I don't know.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Finally found this show, but I've only watched the first episode so far.  First impressions?  Many of these kids are just not cute or model-types.  Also, I am amazed that people actually make so much from social media and that people have "social media agents."  WTF?!

I'll be binging the rest when I get home this afternoon.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Finally found this show, but I've only watched the first episode so far.  First impressions?  Many of these kids are just not cute or model-types.  Also, I am amazed that people actually make so much from social media and that people have "social media agents."  WTF?!

I'll be binging the rest when I get home this afternoon.

I am shocked that they make that much money just posting photos of themselves wearing a hoodie. I'm trying to remember if I was ever that impressionable: "Cambrie Schroder is wearing the cutest earrings on Instagram! I am going to order a pair right now." Nope. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am shocked that they make that much money just posting photos of themselves wearing a hoodie. I'm trying to remember if I was ever that impressionable: "Cambrie Schroder is wearing the cutest earrings on Instagram! I am going to order a pair right now." Nope. 

This is something I don't understand. It's probably my age but I don't even remember trying to track down things on celebrities or models I liked. Of course things are much more accessible now but I don't get the omg this celeb is wearing this I have to have it. I keep wondering how profitiable it is and how much actual power these influencers (they're influencers not models) truly have. The closest I ever got to something a celeb was wearing was getting a zum zum prom dress that Niki Taylor modeled in an ad. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, radiochik said:

I thought ganging up Andrea was a little too much,  I totally agree if the Schroder sisters had switched their pictures, there would be an angry mob, and even Krista admitted she would react differently based on their history (of controversy).

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

$1000 per Instagram photo?  Sign me up!  No, just kidding. 

I'm not even on Instagram.  I never would have thought they could get that much just for one photo.  omg

6 hours ago, Surrealist said:

The way Cambrie and Faith treat her annoys me. They don't seem to give a rat's ass that their father is out there dating, but apparently, Andrea is supposed to sit at home knitting and worrying about them all the time. I wonder how Andrea's sons treat her.

Yeah, I don't really understand the double standard.  Maybe it's more pronounced because the daughters are living with their mom.  But at least  in the beginning of the season, I think it was shown that the daughters didn't like dad dating either.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

This is something I don't understand. It's probably my age but I don't even remember trying to track down things on celebrities or models I liked. Of course things are much more accessible now but I don't get the omg this celeb is wearing this I have to have it. I keep wondering how profitiable it is and how much actual power these influencers (they're influencers not models) truly have. The closest I ever got to something a celeb was wearing was getting a zum zum prom dress that Niki Taylor modeled in an ad. 

I agree with you and @hoodooznoodooz. It might be an age thing, but I've never felt the need to purchase an item of clothing just because a celebrity owns that piece and/or is promoting it.

I love photography. I use IG to share photos I've taken. I'm not expecting to get a contract or anything like that, but I like putting my work out there for others to enjoy. 

However, I don't follow "lifestyle gurus" nor do I use IG to help me make decisions on which products and apparel to buy. I'm still kind of old school when it comes to shopping. I want to see it in person (also try it on) before I buy. The only things I don't mind purchasing online are books and music.

Sorry to digress. LOL.

In a nutshell, the Schroders haven't motivated me to go looking for them and their products online.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I agree with you and @hoodooznoodooz. It might be an age thing, but I've never felt the need to purchase an item of clothing just because a celebrity owns that piece and/or is promoting it.

I love photography. I use IG to share photos I've taken. I'm not expecting to get a contract or anything like that, but I like putting my work out there for others to enjoy. 

However, I don't follow "lifestyle gurus" nor do I use IG to help me make decisions on which products and apparel to buy. I'm still kind of old school when it comes to shopping. I want to see it in person (also try it on) before I buy. The only things I don't mind purchasing online are books and music.

Sorry to digress. LOL.

In a nutshell, the Schroders haven't motivated me to go looking for them and their products online.

Love your post, and your last paragraph really made me laugh!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Sorry to digress. LOL.

With clothes, I like to see how they fit, how well they're made because I've bought things online and once they arrived, said I never would've bought it had I seen it in person. 

I like photography too. I like seeing how others view the world. That's what made instagram exciting to me when it was new. Then it became nothing but a show off place so I left for a few years then went back. I'm not much in to social media. It kills me that we live in a society where others thinks you're suspicious if you lack an online presence. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

With clothes, I like to see how they fit, how well they're made because I've bought things online and once they arrived, said I never would've bought it had I seen it in person. 

I like photography too. I like seeing how others view the world. That's what made instagram exciting to me when it was new. Then it became nothing but a show off place so I left for a few years then went back. I'm not much in to social media. It kills me that we live in a society where others thinks you're suspicious if you lack an online presence. 

I completely understand what you mean. I've left certain social media sites for several months at a time. I eventually return, although I wish I could explain why I do. I don't even really know. I left Instagram for a while because I was posting pictures on other sites and figured, why do I need another place? Then I realized how much the other social media platforms annoy me and I'd rather look at people's pictures instead. LOL.

Most of the accounts I follow are other photographers' accounts, so I miss out on the salespeople's and humblebraggers' posts.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's suspicious not to have a social media account or to be the type of person who rarely uses one. I wish I could do the same. Permanently. 

@hoodooznoodooz- I'm glad that I serve some purpose.  ;-)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I completely understand what you mean. I've left certain social media sites for several months at a time. I eventually return, although I wish I could explain why I do. I don't even really know. I left Instagram for a while because I was posting pictures on other sites and figured, why do I need another place? Then I realized how much the other social media platforms annoy me and I'd rather look at people's pictures instead. LOL.

Most of the accounts I follow are other photographers' accounts, so I miss out on the salespeople's and humblebraggers' posts.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's suspicious not to have a social media account or to be the type of person who rarely uses one. I wish I could do the same. Permanently. 

@hoodooznoodooz- I'm glad that I serve some purpose.  ;-)

That's why I went back, I'm more of an observer than a participant. And when I do post it's random street scenes or travel shots from work. It's funny how many others do find not having an online presence suspicious though. I went on a date several months ago and the guy told me his friends were worried for him because they couldn't find anything on me. I'm like, Is this the society we live in now? You're a weirdo if you choose to not participate? Or meeting new people and after simply saying hello they want to add you on everything. It's like uh wtf? 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Is this the society we live in now? You're a weirdo if you choose to not participate? Or meeting new people and after simply saying hello they want to add you on everything. It's like uh wtf? 

Pretty much. I'm an extremely private person. There's a lot my own family and closest friends don't know about me. What's funny is that people open themselves up to me about everything. It's not as if I have to ask people to spill their souls. I don't know what it is about me that screams "tell me all about yourself." 

People like the Schroder girls have normalized this idea that unless you exist on social media, you don't really exist. Or there's something wrong with you. A lot of it is people have been primed to think being excessively nosy about others is somehow OK. We're entitled to know everything about everyone. The boundary between public and private has become so blurred that those words have become one in the same. Thankfully, there are still people (like those of us in this thread) who prefer keep that boundary,

• Love 3
On 9/25/2017 at 10:52 AM, LemonSoda said:

That's what I was thinking too! Almay should hire her, Beverly did a lot of ads for them and what better way to showcase what beauty can be? Beauty  comes in different forms, faces, shapes and sizes. 

Yes! Yes! and Yes! LOL Maybe if she tried to go this way it wouldn't be so hard for her to find work but instead give her more.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:34 PM, Surrealist said:

I agreed with your entire post, but wanted to focus on this excerpt. I was surprised that Shanna switched out the photo. Beverly and Kelly, having been high fashion/runway models, know more about which photographs will best show off the young women's assets. I would listen to any advice that they gave me. I preferred the photo Beverly selected anyway. I thought Atiana looked beautiful in it. I'm not entirely sure that her heart is in modeling. That definitely comes more from Shanna. 

I also agree with you that Jake would work well as a lifestyle model (surfing/skating/etc.). Like Arissa, he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. He's a bit awkward, but doesn't seem to possess a mean bone in his body. Krista did a great job raising him. 

I'm just floored by the fact that most of these young folks have absentee fathers. Obviously JD's all about his family and Ricky's involved in his children's lives. I won't even get started on Steven and Oscar. I'm annoyed with them.

Agree I was surprised she switched it too. The one they had was beautiful and showed her off well. The other one hid her away. I am with you that Shanna is the one pushing this on her and that it doesn't seem Atiana wants it like mommy does. 

Yes Jack has a good head on his shoulders too. The 2 of them I do hope go far in what they want to do. 

I will say that I don't think Ricky is that involved in their lives since he moved. I can't say before that how he was but that it does seem both parents weren't very parental towards the girls (or more so Faith). He seems to be off doing his own thing across the US. I didn't understand why he didn't live in their other house they had instead of moving so far away. 2 homes here and instead of saying they have to sell one, why didn't he just live in it to be close to his kids? Yes most of them are adults at this point but wouldn't he want to still be close by? SMH JD I think is OVERLY involved or is full of that. There is probably things there not pleasant but for tv he wanted to be the "perfect" family....which no one has. 

On 9/26/2017 at 4:25 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I wonder how potential clients feel about all the tats. Jake and Cairo have a lot. 

On 9/26/2017 at 1:25 PM, Surrealist said:

I know that Photoshop and that sort of editing costs a lot of time and money.

Granted more young folks have tattoos, and this includes models, but it's always been my understanding that any model agent/manager would dissuade a newbie from getting one. After all, the tattoos would distract from the clothing, which is the point of a model's job. To show off the clothes in the most flattering way.

Maybe that's changed? I don't know.

I am not sure what it is like with it but there are ways to cover them up with makeup as well. Which could be the case as well if need be. Yet it does seem more and more do have them and agree it can distract from the clothing or whatever else they model. For Jake though, if he got jobs modeling for skater/surfer lines the tats wouldn't be a big issue at all. It would fit in fine. 

• Love 1
On 9/26/2017 at 11:32 AM, LemonSoda said:

I am hoping they'll give us another season. Any word if it's officially over? 

I am thinking it didn't do well and its done. I will be surprised if it isn't but the way they shoved the last 4 episodes out (which I have to watch the last still) seemed to say they wanted it over with. 

On 9/26/2017 at 0:59 PM, Surrealist said:

Not even just out there dating but I think he is living with the other girl with how it sounded and came off...at least to me. Those girls are terrible IMO. The disrespect from them is disgusting. If my kid used my first name to me OMG!!! 

On 9/26/2017 at 6:46 PM, LemonSoda said:

I am with you on this as well. I have never once searched out something because a celeb had it on or did something. In fact it usually turns me off that stuff usually. More so in this day and age with SM.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, rollice said:

$1000 per Instagram photo?  Sign me up!  No, just kidding. 

I'm not even on Instagram.  I never would have thought they could get that much just for one photo.  omg

I so don't buy it with them making so much per picture. I think they are beyond full of it considering what we saw them doing pictures for. *rollseyes* I had made an Instagram account for a certain contest at the time that was it. I didn't use it after that. I had used an email I don't use often for things. Now the messed up thing, I can't use my regular email I always use because some person in another country took my email, used it for Instagram, tossed in a phone to keep it from getting deleted and all I could do was change the password. I have no way of getting rid of it. I am still pissed over this too. Its been almost 2 yrs since it happened. I think the same person tried it with Twitter too but I got that deleted no problem. I haven't done it but it made me feel like I needed to create accounts with my emails under SM sites to stop that from happening again. I HATE, HATE, HATE SM. I HATE it even more that I can't get rid of that one that took my email like that and what was put on it. 

18 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Sorry to digress. LOL.

13 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I am that way as well about shopping. I like to see it, feel it and try it on. Unless I have bought the item in the store before I won't buy online for myself at all at this point. My friend and I joke about the stretch test with shirts. When you make sure there is some give to it and its not stiff and tight. LOL We both do it on shirts because there are those that look like it will but then you put it on and it doesn't have any stretch to it at all. 

I had no clue that people are suspicious of you if you don't have anything online. SMH 

13 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

That's why I went back, I'm more of an observer than a participant. And when I do post it's random street scenes or travel shots from work. It's funny how many others do find not having an online presence suspicious though. I went on a date several months ago and the guy told me his friends were worried for him because they couldn't find anything on me. I'm like, Is this the society we live in now? You're a weirdo if you choose to not participate? Or meeting new people and after simply saying hello they want to add you on everything. It's like uh wtf? 

WOW! It comes off to me creepy that that guy and his friends were trying to find you online like that. For some of us in this world we have good reason to NOT be all over the internet and SM like that. I had an ex stalk me after I meet my husband and we were dating. He kept on even 2 yrs later after we got married. So I have no clue if he still tries to find me or not. Then there is all those from the past in school that wants to act like you are just their bestest friend in the world now...no thanks. I don't care to "catch up" or talk to those people and lastly I don't want anything to do with my family in that manner either. The least contact I have with my mother and no contact with my sister the better with how they are. They are on SM and even more disturbing is my mom has "friended" people I was in school with. One wanted my email and surprisingly she asked if she could give it to her. I will say I wasn't very nice because to me it was a joke when I didn't talk to the person past elementary school (the girl's doing not mine). 

12 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Pretty much. I'm an extremely private person. There's a lot my own family and closest friends don't know about me. What's funny is that people open themselves up to me about everything. It's not as if I have to ask people to spill their souls. I don't know what it is about me that screams "tell me all about yourself." 

People like the Schroder girls have normalized this idea that unless you exist on social media, you don't really exist. Or there's something wrong with you. A lot of it is people have been primed to think being excessively nosy about others is somehow OK. We're entitled to know everything about everyone. The boundary between public and private has become so blurred that those words have become one in the same. Thankfully, there are still people (like those of us in this thread) who prefer keep that boundary,

This is me as well. I have had people ramble on and on about things and I'm sitting there like "why me?" because I didn't ask to know. My husband has had it happen to him as well. I will talk about things but not everything. Somethings are to be kept private...more so to people I don't know. 

Schroder girls and others like them can think that but yet if it wasn't for daddy's name and this show no one would have a clue about them or care. Still don't care and wish I didn't know about them after watching them. LOL As I have said for a long time now, SM is the downfall to humankind. 

I wanted to add that with SM I noticed that my husband's family changed how they do things as well. At some point invitations stopped being sent out to people and they all decided to do it through things like FB. Which the only way we knew about anything was always a day or 2 before it was happening because SIL is on there and my MIL would call to tell us after told about it. Which for me, that isn't happening last minute like that and comes off rude as well when you disregard those not on SM like that. 

• Love 3

So much I'd love to quote but it's not allowing me to! 

Surrealist, I'm private too. It's amazing what strangers will tell you. I truly believe that being so connected has made us more disconnnected than ever. There are no boundaries anymore. That scares me. 

Evil Queen, I had to let go of an email address I've had since the 90's because others with a similar email were mistyping mine and signing up for various SM accounts. To this day I'm receiving things intended for them. I've tried contacting each company but haven't made it anywhere. It's annoying. I still check it once a week in case something comes in for me but at last check there were 10,000 emails, mostly spam thanks to Brittany and Sophie (two of the girls I receive emails for) entering various contests and mailing lists that I've tried to unsubscribe but the unsubscribe bounces back. You would think I'd receive a sorry or are you receiving mail for me? But no. 

Yes, Catfish the tv show has made many believe that if someone lacks an online identity they don't exist. Seriously, he told me that. They thought I had a fake name or was pretending to be someone else because I didn't show up in google. That gave me the creeps. What gave me the creeps even more is how much private information about others is now public. Car registrations, property records, phone numbers you pay to keep unlisted. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

This sort of insta-gram famous thing has definitely blown up. I know a few girls who were able to put themselves through all 4 years of college by being brand sponsors and instagram famous. It's unreal, but absolutely happens. 

Glad to hear that some are putting it to good use. Too many vloggers and insta girls I've seen all spend it like it's growing on trees with no concern for the future. 

• Love 1