Type keyword(s) to search

Looney Tunes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Durnit! You took the tag for Bugs I wasagonna use!

Fortunately, he's got a plethora of them, so I can use another!

Next to Bats, Bugs is my favorite guy, and I grew up watching him outfoxing Elmer, Daffy and Wylie E, and laughed right along with him!

Well David took the one I wanted to use, "Eh, What's Up, Doc?", so I went with this one!

Love love, love Bugs Bunny all due to the genius that was Mel Blanc.

Some of my favorite lines:

"What a Maroon!"

"What a gulliBULL"

"What an ignoranamus!"

"Stop steaming up my tail! What are you tryin' to do, wrinkle it?"

Hey there @GHScorpiosRule, you look so lonely in this forum all by yourself.  Can I join in?

At 51, I still enjoy Looney Tunes, but they have to be classic.  I don't know if it's the memory that creates the feeling, but the newer stuff I have had to sit and watch with my kids over the years, just doesn't cut it. 

My favorite character is, and forever will be Pepe Le Pew (which is absent from your list, but I will let it pass...lol)

• Love 1

Hey BizzBuzz!

Thanks for joining! It was late when I started all the character threads and I just created the ones I love! You can go ahead and create Pepe's if you want! Though he annoyed me, he had his moments!

One of the things I hated about the new was having Bugs live in an actual house! WRONG. It's a wabbit hole he lives in, which is Decorated and looks like a house! And Bugs was purple!!!!

Saturday morning cartoons were bliss for me! Bugs, SuperFriends, Jackson Five, The Beatles, The Brady Kids...But Looney Tunes topped the list!

Believe it or not, and I may lose a friend over this, but Scooby Doo and The Flintstones were right up there with Bugs and his pals for Saturday mornings for me.

::giggle::

You know, I have been away from the computer since I posted last, but my mind kept visiting Looney Tunes all day (oh the power of suggestion) - and I do remember this was one show that my Mom and I would actually watch together.  Her favorite was Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. 

I happened to be at lunch today with her, and I asked her why she liked them so much, now, keep in mind my Mom just turned 91 and she said to me, it's because Wile E. Coyote never ever gave up.  He just kept on trying.  That was a very good quality.

Now, a cartoon that can teach that kind of lesson to a woman that was in her 40's, early 50's at the time, deserves to be called a CLASSIC.

Cartoons do don't that anymore.  Or at least the stuff I see lately.

• Love 2

Flintstones, I loved! But for some reason, I remember those airing during the week, right after school, along with Tom & Jerry.

I really could never get into Scooby, but I still watched, heh.

As for Wylie E.? and Roadmeep!meep!Runner? For the most part, they bored me, because...no dialogue! My favorites were among the ones when Wylie E. tried to get Bugs, or that one where you have these two human kids watching Wylie E. and as they ask each other why Wylie E. keeps chasing Road Runner, Wyiie E. stops and begins to lecture them and 'splain it all!

• Love 1

Well, the mere fact I grew up in Hawaii might have something to do with it.  We got shows late, if at all.  You know, no satellite WAY back then.  ::giggle::

To name something in particular, I didn't even know about Tom and Jerry until I moved with my sister to Florida in 71, I was only 9 at the time, and that is when I saw it for the first time.

these two human kids watching Wylie E. and as they ask each other why Wylie E. keeps chasing Road Runner, Wyiie E. stops and begins to lecture them and 'splain it all!

OMG, totally forgot about that one!  HA!

I didn't watch much of Tom and Jerry, but correct me if I am wrong ... they didn't have much dialog, did they?

No, they didn't have any dialogue, which was the beauty of it all! Well, except when Tom would holler or yelp in pain. In the early years, Spike didn't have any dialogue either, but later he did, along with the "guest" stars. Their expressions and actions said it all!

• Love 1

Okay, posting this here, unless I need to create a thread for DVDs, merchandise, etc? Mod, please feel free to do so.

I'm addicted to these characters and toons because I grew up watching them. So of course I started collecting the Golden Collection, assuming it would have ALL of the Bugs Bunny 'toons. He is my JAM after all in all things Looney Tunes!  Anyway.  I had only gotten the first three volumes out of six, when I saw that a Platinum collection on bluray had been released. And stupid me, based on the reviews, I thought it was the same as the Golden, except on bluray. WRONG! And there are a total of 3 volumes, the last of which won't be coming out after all due to the poor reviews based on its content and quality of same. 

So, here's my question for those that have all six volumes of the Golden: Is the Abominable Snowman one in any of them? They're not listed in the first three, and I checked contents for 4, 5 and 6, but they don't state which ones are on there.  Can anyone help?  Orrrr, will I have to start selling stuff, and be anal retentive and start buying the other collections, even if some of the same toons overlap?

Can a fellow Looney Tuner help this Looney Tuner out? Thanks heaps!

• Love 1

Sorry, can't help you with having the collection, but I did manage to find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abominable_Snow_Rabbit

The Abominable Snow Rabbit is included on the DVD collection Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 5 as well as the VHS collections Looney Tunes After Dark and Bugs Bunny: Big Top Bunny. Most of the footage was also used in the compilation movie, Daffy Duck's Quackbusters for one part when Bugs and Daffy traveled to the Himalayas.

Is that the same thing?

Thanks @BizBuzz !

Yes, it does! So having all six of the golden collection will do me fine. Of course then I'll probably create an excel spreadsheet and compare the titles from Golden against the other "collections", because no way did ALL of EVERY single Looney Tune compiled in just six volumes! There are the episodes from Bugs Bunny & Tweety Bird show...you know....

Overtures! Hit the lights...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

No more rehearsing or blah blah blah...

We know every part by heart!

Hey, it's something to do over the summer!

• Love 1

No, they didn't have any dialogue, which was the beauty of it all! Well, except when Tom would holler or yelp in pain. In the early years, Spike didn't have any dialogue either, but later he did, along with the "guest" stars. Their expressions and actions said it all!

There were also a few times that Tom would say, in a low, guttural tone, 'Don't you believe it."  Scared the shinola out of me, it did.

• Love 2
Overtures! Hit the lights...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

No more rehearsing or blah blah blah...

We know every part by heart!

Hey, it's something to do over the summer!

Overture, curtains, lights,
This is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing a part
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtains, lights
This is it, you'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it

Tonight what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it

(according to stlyrics.com)

• Love 2

There were also a few times that Tom would say, in a low, guttural tone, 'Don't you believe it."  Scared the shinola out of me, it did.

Oh yeah! That was the White Mouse episode! Where the radio announcer joyfully said that the "White Mouse will NOT Explode!" Of course, for most of that episode, it was Jerry pretending to be the White Mouse!

• Love 1

...[Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote] bored me, because...no dialogue!

Funny, the lack of dialogue in Chuck Jones's work is precisely why I liked it a lot as a child (and still do as an adult). That they can be funny without saying anything had intrinsic appeal to the minimalist in me. (The delightfully nutty landscapes were nicely done to, I think.) Jones's installments of Tom and Jerry also appealed to me for similar reasons.

But the best thing about the old ones is that I'm not sure the new ones would have had the guts to do something like "Duck Amuck". Dicking Daffy around in a meta manner was just awesome.

• Love 2

"Ain't I a stinker?

The classic with the artist erasing and adding to Bugs and his surroundings. Artist turned out to be Porky, I think. That can never not be funny, no matter how old or young you are.

No, it was actually Elmer, who laughed and chortled at the end, saying he finally got one over Bugs. There was a similar one where Daffy was being all drawn hilariously, and it turned out the artist was Bugs.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Checked out The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes Cartoons from the local library and am thoroughly enjoying it (the cartoons are listed alphabetically rather than ranked in any manner).  A lot of the usual suspects made the cut -- What's Opera, Doc?, One Froggy Evening, Birds Anonymous, Rabbit of Seville -- but there were some pleasant surprises as well, including A Ham in a Role (IMO the best of the Goofy Gophers cartoons and one of Bob McKimson's funniest offerings), The Big Snooze (one of Bob Clampett's wildest cartoons... and that's saying something), and Chow Hound (a great poetic-justice twist ending).

• Love 2

I consider Daffy Duck to be my spiritual brother (my husband says I have a bit of a lisp..and I love DD's edgy personality...right out of NYC).  I only watched a little of a modern Looney Tunes before I realized something was wrong.  The voices were different--didn't convey that Looney Tunes 'tude that is so important.

A couple years ago while scrolling through the channels, I came upon a Sylvester cartoon that I'd never seen before or since. It had to be an oldie because of the subject.  Sylvester was chasing Tweety and ran off the top of a tall bldg.  After splatting onto the sidewalk, his spirit was seen rising - oh, yeah!  Then, the spirit turns into (materializes?) Sylvester again who has now ended up in Hell.  Somehow he escapes and goes back to chasing the bird and this goes on and on.  I was just dumbfounded watching it. That's the thing about LT...they were made for adults, not kids (Disney cartoons were/are for kids).  While in Los Angeles a couple months ago, we toured Warner Brothers.  They have a "museum" room (it's obvious WB isn't into this) with some artifacts of old movies produced by WB. They also had a few drawings from the cartoon studios--not much to look at which was very disappointing.

Ohhh...that edge!  And so politically incorrect (e.g., Daffy's nasty comment during the dueling piano duet w/ Bugs in Who Killed Roger Rabbit, "This is the lassst time I work with ssssomebody with a sthpeech impediment").

One other memorable DD moment for me was in a show about a bowling competition. Porky gets hurt and ends up in the hospital.  Bugs & Daffy go to visit him (DD is desperately trying to recruit Bugs to take Porky's place as his partner).  On their way out of Porky's hospital room, Daffy stretches his long "arm" over to Porky's bedside table and grabs, I think, his wallet, saying "You won't be needing this any more" and slips out the door.  I need to find that cartoon and re-watch it.

I love that one! The various characters going to hell, meeting Satan and getting more chances to defeat their nemeses is one of my favorite recurring LT themes.

Tom & Jerry had their own version of it, with Spike the Dog as the Devil. Tom was sleeping and he had a nightmare and he couldn't get Jerry to sign the document where Jerry forgives Tom for all the bad things he did. And when Devil!Spike tries to drown him, Tom wakes up screaming, when a spark from the fireplace wakes him up. He runs to Jerry, picks him up and kisses Jerry all over his face. And Jerry just shrugs and looks at the audience. That's one of my faves.

Back to Looney:

There's another one where Bugs and Daffy are putting on a show and Bugs gets all the laughs and there is SILENCE whenever Daffy peforms. So he does this REALLY HUGE thing...that kills him. The audience and Bugs cheer, and clap.  And you see him going up, with wings I think. He mutters he can only do it one time!

• Love 1

I always loved how Daffy's whole character was basically an inside joke from the Looney Tunes writers. I mean he starts out as a generic crazy duck and I think for awhile he was the most popular LT character. Then Bugs comes along and his popularity takes off and he becomes the face of WB animation. At that point the rivalry starts and daffy in the cartoons becomes jealous and competitive. 

Then Bugs comes along and his popularity takes off and he becomes the face of WB animation. At that point the rivalry starts and daffy in the cartoons becomes jealous and competitive. 

Well, I don't know if Bugs was popular from his first appearance, because the first two shorts I saw of him, well, he wasn't the cute looking Bugs I knew and loved. His face was very ferrety/ratlike, and he wore GLOVES and I don't think Mel Blanc was voicing him. Me no likey that Bugs.

I agree, that Bugs is an asshole without any of the charm later Bugs had.  I also prefer later Daffy to early Daffy.  Early Daffy was a lunatic who recently escaped the insane asylum while later Daffy was a sneaky plotter determined to win at everything.  Later Daffy was absolutely delightful in this regard.

• Love 1

Do you mean the original shorts vs. all the new shows they have now?

If so, the original shorts easily wins for me. The Looney Tunes Show and Wabbit just don't have that same charm that the original shorts did. I can just watch the original shorts over and over without getting bored of them. I can't really say the same thing for the new shows.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lili said:

Do you mean the original shorts vs. all the new shows they have now?

If so, the original shorts easily wins for me. The Looney Tunes Show and Wabbit just don't have that same charm that the original shorts did. I can just watch the original shorts over and over without getting bored of them. I can't really say the same thing for the new shows.

Original shorts!!! I can't stand the new show they aired on CN. 

Yep, I can watch the original over and over again.

13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Original shorts!!! I can't stand the new show they aired on CN. 

Yep, I can watch the original over and over again.

To be honest, I do like Wabbit a bit more than The Looney Tunes Show, but still, give me the original shorts over both shows any day.

Do you think they should just go back and create traditional shorts again? That's what they were supposed to do back in the early 2000's, but ceased to, after the failure of the movie Looney Tunes: Back in Action, with only a few of the planned shorts being released.

(edited)

Sometimes, Daffy could put on a one-duck show and be totally hilarious as in 'Fast Buck Duck' (1963) in which he seeks to become a billionaire's boon companion but is constantly thwarted by a rather aggressive and cunning bull dog. Daffy has virtually all the dialogue (until the billionaire spells out the actual terms of the companionship - which aren't in Daffy's favor).

Edited by Blergh
e for at
  • Love 1

Because without his contributions, not only would most of the characters have been voiceless but also they'd not live in our imaginations for generations as they've done!

• Love 1
(edited)

Today July 27,2018 marks the 78th(!) Anniversary of the premiere of the first full fledged Bugs cinematic short ' A Wild Hare' in which he first utters "What's up, Doc?" to the always befuddled Elmer Fudd!  Although he had appeared as early as 1938 in 'Porky's Hare Hunt', the original incarnation looked and sounded quite different from the wascally wabbit the world would come to know!

Edited by Blergh
boldly going there
  • Love 1

On Bugs's possible 78th 'boithday', it's as good as time as any to honor Mr. Blanc who not only voiced Bugs and so many others but also would credit Bugs,etc. for saving his very life. At age 52, in 1961 he had a near fatal collision in what Jan and Dean would immortalize as 'Dead Man's Curve' and for two weeks he was comatose and unresponsive. At first the doctors did the usual 'Mr. Blanc, can you hear me?' to no avail, then someone got the idea to ask Bugs how he was feeling and Mr. Blanc responded in Bugs's voice 'Eh, just fine, Doc. How are you?'. Then he answered in his other notable characters' voices but it would be few days before he responded in his very own.  Oh, and it should be noted that Mr. Blanc changed the original spelling of his surname from 'B-L-A-N-K' after an elementary teacher called him lazy and said that he'd never amount to anything but would be a 'blank- just like your name'!

• Love 1

The transitional Daffy Duck is my favorite Daffy. I'm talking about in the late 40's and early 50's, when his wacky personality was being phased out, and his greediness was starting to kick in. It was a happy medium.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Agree! For the longest time, I thought he voiced Elmer Fudd as well, but he didn’t!

While Mr. Fudd had been voiced by others for his first two decades ( most notably Hal Smith (Otis the Drunk on  The Andy Griffith Show ),   for the last seventeen years of Mr. Blanc's life, he DID voice the Wascally Wabbit's Nemesis!

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 1:08 AM, Lili said:

The transitional Daffy Duck is my favorite Daffy. I'm talking about in the late 40's and early 50's, when his wacky personality was being phased out, and his greediness was starting to kick in. It was a happy medium.

Yep, it gave the audience hope that Daffy would get his just desserts as opposed to simply overwhelming everyone else with his obnoxiousness.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, Lili said:

On 7/31/2018 at 8:36 AM, Blergh said:

Yep, it gave the audience hope that Daffy would get his just desserts as opposed to simply overwhelming everyone else with his obnoxiousness.

Totally agree! "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" the apotheosis of this Daffy.