Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Feeling Ambushed

Wow. Mama Shug crossed that line. In a way, I can "excuse" it as the poor woman scratching a 40-year old itch, since she made it clear that she wasn't still the young woman who was expecting a life with him. But, dang, her husband already suspects that something's going sideways, and he'll be so hurt when he finds out.

Meanwhile, up in New York ( I'm surprised how I'm getting used to this show being set in two cities now, though I still don't quite see the point):

Justin as a Boyfriend is growing on me. He does seem to really care about Mary Jane, and so far seems to have the maturity to handle MJ's nonsense. She's already shown some teeny tiny baby steps of growth, so the relationship's already paid off as far as I'm concerned. I don't know where the show is going in terms of Justin being a multi-millionaire, but I'll stick around for it.

Mama Shug's husband already knows she slept with Old Superfly.  He asked her point blank if she slept with him, and she didn't say "no."  Which is why he packed her bag for her.  I suspect they'll work it out and get back together though.

I don't even care anymore about Justin and Mary Jane.  I really don't.  Surprisingly, I'm more interested in Kara and Orlando's relationship now that she knows that the other woman slept with him.

• Love 1

As usual, Mary Jane shows her mental age instead of her chronological one. It's only a matter of time before Justin tires of her immaturity. Justin is serious, sometimes too serious, and Mary Jane could be a good balance if she wasn't mentally still in high school.

I'm confused as to why Pa Patterson would even bring his wife's ex-lover around knowing their history. How much y'all wanna bet that Paul Jr is Superfly's son? 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

How much y'all wanna bet that Paul Jr is Superfly's son? 

Yup.  I suspect we'll find out the truth next week.

There were a few minutes when wasn't paying attention, but how did Justin's ex-girlfriend Simone get "outed" on social media?  Did it have something to do with Mary Jane being on his laptop?  I'm guessing that Simone getting harassed for her looks might be the last straw for Justin, because it sounds like he really loved her even though it's unclear why they broke up.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

There were a few minutes when wasn't paying attention, but how did Justin's ex-girlfriend Simone get "outed" on social media?  Did it have something to do with Mary Jane being on his laptop?  I'm guessing that Simone getting harassed for her looks might be the last straw for Justin, because it sounds like he really loved her even though it's unclear why they broke up.

Justin's classmate, I think they called her Chatty Kathy, outed her.

I agree that Paul Jr. is probably Superfly's son.  They made too big a point of repeatedly saying all of this went down 44 years ago.   MJ is over 40, so Paul Jr.  is the right age for a WTD storyline.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Ok, thanks.  The fact that her name came up and was outed makes me think we'll see her and, of course, she'll be gorgeous now, and she and Justin will get back together. 

• Love 2

Anyone else think Justin's girlfriend died and that's why he has the millions from the stock option, because she left it for him?

And man, Mama Shug sowing her oats 40 years later.  I guess everybody got that itch that needs scratching at some point, huh?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

Anyone else think Justin's girlfriend died and that's why he has the millions from the stock option, because she left it for him?

Interesting, that's something I hadn't thought of.  What is apparent is that Justin is clearly hiding something (although whatever it is I still think it's his business, not Mary Jane's at this point in their relationship). 

Speaking of the two of them, I'm just not feeling any enthusiasm from Justin for Mary Jane.  It just looks like she is clearly more into him than he is into her.  Maybe it's the actor himself, but he always comes off as tired-looking and kinda worn out.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, Sheenieb said:

As usual, Mary Jane shows her mental age instead of her chronological one. It's only a matter of time before Justin tires of her immaturity. Justin is serious, sometimes too serious, and Mary Jane could be a good balance if she wasn't mentally still in high school.

High school?  I'm surprised Mary Jane manages to get her shoes on the right feet in the morning.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 4:20 PM, Ohwell said:

Interesting, that's something I hadn't thought of.  What is apparent is that Justin is clearly hiding something (although whatever it is I still think it's his business, not Mary Jane's at this point in their relationship). 

Speaking of the two of them, I'm just not feeling any enthusiasm from Justin for Mary Jane.  It just looks like she is clearly more into him than he is into her.  Maybe it's the actor himself, but he always comes off as tired-looking and kinda worn out.

I think the relationship could be written to work out in the hands of better writers, but right now they don't know what to do with Mary Jane. 

This is the best description I have ever read of Michael Ealy. I don't dislike him, but he is one of those men that I know I am supposed to find attractive, but I am always perplexed by why I don't.  Maybe it is because he always does seem to have the weary, weight of the world attitude.  He was in some silly show on TNT or USA a few years ago and I think that is the only time I saw him have a little more energy.

I just assumed that the ex girlfriend somehow had something to do with that company stock, as in she worked there, or they were secretly married or something.  I did not watch live and fast forwarded through the mom's scenes.  Did she sleep with someone?  I thought she had some type of illness? 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I did not watch live and fast forwarded through the mom's scenes.  Did she sleep with someone?  I thought she had some type of illness? 

Yeah, she had that 40+ year old itch to scratch so she slept with Superfly.  I don't remember what type of illness she had, maybe some type of cancer?  Perhaps she's in remission.

On 8/24/2017 at 3:42 PM, luckyroll3 said:

I've suspected that for awhile now, especially after his comments about thinking you have all the time in the world, but things not working out like you planned, or words to that effect. And he just seemed so sad as he talked about it. I never thought about Simone being connected to the money, but it would explain a lot, especially why he gave half of it away and apparently doesn't really touch the rest.

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, she had that 40+ year old itch to scratch so she slept with Superfly.  I don't remember what type of illness she had, maybe some type of cancer?  Perhaps she's in remission.

I think she has MS, of the type where you can have periods of being "fine", broken into by episodes of symptoms.

When the series opened, Helen was battling lupus. It seems like over the seasons that just fell by the wayside. 

I have to wonder if Frank showing up right around the time that Helen learned of MJ cheating on and leaving Lee for Justin played some small part in Helen getting a case of the "What if?"s.

34 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

I have to wonder if Frank showing up right around the time that Helen learned of MJ cheating on and leaving Lee for Justin played some small part in Helen getting a case of the "What if?"s.

I remember when Helen (thanks for reminding me of her name!) was on the phone talking to MJ about why she left Lee.  She surprised MJ by basically telling her that, even though Lee was a nice guy, she should follow her heart and be with Justin if he's the one who gets her motor running (my words, lol).  So I think that Helen was thinking about her life and how she chose the safe, nice guy instead of the one she really wanted--Superfly. 

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, Sheenieb said:

I'm confused as to why Pa Patterson would even bring his wife's ex-lover around knowing their history. How much y'all wanna bet that Paul Jr is Superfly's son? 

Right you are. I don't know why , but I was sort of pissed when she snooped through Justin's personal belongings. I guess my feeling were based on the fact that the relationship was still new.  As far as MJ'S mother is concerned , I am disappointed , but I understand a woman's heart. She never really stopped loving him, she loves her husband but the other man moved something in her that her husband did not. The flame was still burning and her heart ached when he left her.. Now she has satisfied that curiosity and  I believe she's done. Sometimes we have to go there unfortunately. I believe Pa Patterson invited him on purpose because he always suspected that she still had feeling for him, as a man he just needed conformation of those feelings. It did not matter if he invited him over for dinner or not, she was determined to see him no matter the risk. When she went to the hotel to confront him, I knew she would be back.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, After7Only said:

I agree that Paul Jr. is probably Superfly's son.  They made too big a point of repeatedly saying all of this went down 44 years ago.   MJ is over 40, so Paul Jr.  is the right age for a WTD storyline.  

This would not surprise me either considering how she felt about him . Maybe that was the reason she was so angry with him for leaving her . The catch would be that Pa Patterson knows the he is not his son, but chose to raise him as his own, because he loves his wife so much.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I remember when Helen (thanks for reminding me of her name!) was on the phone talking to MJ about why she left Lee.  She surprised MJ by basically telling her that, even though Lee was a nice guy, she should follow her heart and be with Justin if he's the one who gets her motor running (my words, lol).  So I think that Helen was thinking about her life and how she chose the safe, nice guy instead of the one she really wanted--Superfly. 

I believe Paul always loved her , even when she was with his best friend over 40 years ago. When a man gets a woman by default, he will never completely trust the relationship.  He just loves Helen, but deep down he knows there was still a flicker there for his friend.  ( what's his name -Superfly ? )

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, catrice2 said:

I think the relationship could be written to work out in the hands of better writers, but right now they don't know what to do with Mary Jane. 

This is the best description I have ever read of Michael Ealy. I don't dislike him, but he is one of those men that I know I am supposed to find attractive, but I am always perplexed by why I don't.  Maybe it is because he always does seem to have the weary, weight of the world attitude.  He was in some silly show on TNT or USA a few years ago and I think that is the only time I saw him have a little more energy.

I just assumed that the ex girlfriend somehow had something to do with that company stock, as in she worked there, or they were secretly married or something.  I did not watch live and fast forwarded through the mom's scenes.  Did she sleep with someone?  I thought she had some type of illness? 

I believe they removed her illness from the storyline , her medication seems to be working now or she is in remission. I am happy they did, because I like this healthy Helen , she's feisty !

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, byrd said:

This would not surprise me either considering how she felt about him . Maybe that was the reason she was so angry with him for leaving her . The catch would be that Pa Patterson knows the he is not his son, but chose to raise him as his own, because he loves his wife so much.

Well I guess I was 100% right on this one, Pa Patterson did know that was not his son and raised him as his own. All of the skeletons are falling out of the closet now..

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, luckyroll3 said:

And man, Mama Shug sowing her oats 40 years later.  I guess everybody got that itch that needs scratching at some point, huh?

Lol !! yea , we do have that itch, but most times you are disappointed because you are holding on to a memory of what it use to be,  instead of what is now. I had that same itch once but I regret that I went there my memories were a whole lot more satisfying.

• Love 1