Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Three Girls In A Tub

Richard is determined to get to know Sutton’s friends outside of the office and invites the girls to dinner, but things don’t quite go as planned. Sutton attempts to network with a new social circle by attending a high tea. While on a date with someone else, Jane comes to a realization about Pinstripe; and Jacqueline is forced to intervene when Kat’s new staffer keeps damaging Scarlet’s social media presence. 

36 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jacqueline is forced to intervene when Kat’s new staffer keeps damaging Scarlet’s social media presence. 

A nice change from Jacqueline being force to intervene because Kat keeps damaging Scarlet's social media presence. Heh.

• Love 5

Oh, lord. Where to begin with this episode? First of all, there's no way there would be a high tea with edibles at a commercial venue. It's illegal in NYC, for one thing. Second, once everyone knew Sutton worked for Scarlet, they'd be on her like white on rice, trying to get their product into the magazine. Scarlet isn't some startup that needs to beg. There might be some scheduling/exclusivity negotiation, but that's about it. Third, it's not terrible to date just one person. It's not terrible to date more than one person. Do what works for you.

Crankiness aside, I kind of loved Sutton and Jane being high and drunk. The actors played that really well.

I still don't understand why it would be professional suicide for Richard and/or Sutton if their relationship was discovered. They're in completely different areas of the company. She's fashion editorial; he's legal. He has no supervisory authority over her. I get they don't want to be snickered at because of the age difference, but otherwise, I'm stumped. Guess that doesn't matter anymore, now that they're kaput.

I know the show isn't about her, but I wish Jacqueline weren't such a Mary Sue. Joanna Coles, it's fine to show a few flaws.

• Love 3

Kat is the worst. She's so selfish and it's always about her. She screwed up a few times already with tweeting so don't know why she gets a free pass, and why Richard is the bad guy. At least she figured it out, but her temper brings out the worst in her.

Jane's storyline didn't go the cliche route I thought it would. I liked that she knew Pinstripe wouldn't change and didn't want him to and walked away. It was refreshing. I did like the guy she went on a date with.

Poor Sutton.  I liked her and Richard. I also don't understand why their relationship would be detrimental since they are in different fields. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Poor Sutton.  I liked her and Richard. I also don't understand why their relationship would be detrimental since they are in different fields. 

Yeah, I don't get it either, but I guess if he's on the board he is technically over everyone in the company? I felt bad for her, they seemed to have a good relationship.

I actually liked Jane and Pinstripe too, but I guess it wouldn't end well. I thought they were going the cliched route of him saying he wasn't actually seeing other people, but was just pretending to because of what she said. This was refreshing, I guess.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, lord. Where to begin with this episode? First of all, there's no way there would be a high tea with edibles at a commercial venue. It's illegal in NYC, for one thing.

Alllllllll of this. And even if "high tea" was legal, those items would need to be clearly marked. Specifically to avoid what happened with Sutton. I get that it's a great plot device to get a character to loosen up, but there's suspension of disbelief and then there's flinging disbelief right the Hell out the window.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Third, it's not terrible to date just one person. It's not terrible to date more than one person. Do what works for you.

This is frequently where the show loses me. Sometimes it's one extended riff on "Millenials be like." Speaking in my official capacity as A Millenial, I have friends who sleep around, I have friends who are married with children, I have friends who date here and there. As it turns out, no matter what the generation, people are people - some are one way, some are another way, some take a third option. I could do a solid twenty minutes on this (and probably will grouse about it in another topic), but it really bothers me that there are so many shows where writers seem to write about Millenials without ever actually having MET one.

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, I don't get it either, but I guess if he's on the board he is technically over everyone in the company? I felt bad for her, they seemed to have a good relationship.

I've decided to invent a background for him. His family owns the publishing group. That's why he's on the board. Yes he's a lawyer, mostly as a way to learn the family business. But he's the boss' boss' boss. That seems at least as believable as anything else this show is selling.

Lest it sound like I am just griping, the scene in Richard's bathtub made me laugh. For all its issues, the show has really sold me on the friendship between these girls. Also I really loved Sutton learning how to be competent at her job. I wonder what it says about me that the interpersonal stuff is nice but it's really enjoyable to watch young woman learn how to be kickass at their jobs.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

guess if he's on the board he is technically over everyone in the company?

Not necessarily, and besides, Richard's in a different line (legal) than Sutton is (editorial). From what we've seen, I think the board okays the larger editorial direction but not the nitty gritty. So it okays story ideas but not the story itself, unless there's some pressing reason (legal problems [ahem, JANE], advertiser conflict, etc.). And the board is for the entire company, not just Scarlet.

Add me to the list of people who were pleasantly surprised by the maturity of Jane and Pinstripe's breakup. No shouting, no name-calling, no tears, no overwrought emotions. I also like that the show kind of left the ball in Pinstripe's court, so we might see him down the line. Or not, and that's fine, too. I like the guy Kat and Sutton picked for Jane. I especially like that they took it seriously and didn't set her up with someone clearly wrong for her. The way the date played out was nice and fairly realistic (given the context).

• Love 1

Richard did the right, but hard thing.   And, as an attractive, successful lawyer in Manhattan, there will be a new lovely girl in his life in no time.   I think this was Sutton's error.  Kat screwed up and has repeatedly screwed up.

Excited for new week's episode on layoffs....

I agree with much of what all of you said, especially the bits about Kat being such a pain in the ass. I'd like to know more about her background.  It appears that she is the more privileged one of the group, in part because she didn't grow up with the struggles the other girls did with regard to their parents, and is also the least mature perhaps as a result of that. She really annoys me.

Sutton and Richard likely did the right thing but I felt sad for them because they seem to care deeply for each other. Their romance would be frowned upon because of their positions and the fact that she is so low down the totem pole. If he were having an affair with a single Jacqueline, for example, I think they'd be okay. She is my favorite of the three.

• Love 4

Add me to the "I can't even" with Kat train. She is consistently unprofessional, but skates by with nary a scratch, week in and week out.

If the only social media Scarlet is using is Twitter, as it seems, then they don't need two people doing it.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 4

There's also Instagram and the magazine's own website, which I think Kat deals with, if only peripherally. Kat also tries to find new platforms for the magazine, as with the VR thing earlier. The Scarlet social media sites retweet/repost from other sites, so someone has to monitor them. I can see the need for an actual department.

Edited by dubbel zout
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

There's also Instagram and the magazine's own website, which I think Kat deals with, if only peripherally. Kat also tries to find new platforms for the magazine, as with the VR thing earlier. The Scarlet social media sites retweet/repost from other sites, so someone has to monitor them. I can see the need for an actual department.

Or Kat could just do her job instead of spending hours a day drinking coffee and gossiping in "the closet" with her friends.

• Love 5
On 8/16/2017 at 1:32 PM, Jillybean said:

Or Kat could just do her job instead of spending hours a day drinking coffee and gossiping in "the closet" with her friends.

I know its just a TV show, but everytime I see Kat at work as of late, I cant help but wonder how she got that job. 

On a couple of shallow notes, I wouldnt mind more scenes of Pinstripe in the shower. Or possessing Jane's entire wardrobe for that matter.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, politichick said:

I agree with much of what all of you said, especially the bits about Kat being such a pain in the ass. I'd like to know more about her background.  It appears that she is the more privileged one of the group, in part because she didn't grow up with the struggles the other girls did with regard to their parents, and is also the least mature perhaps as a result of that. She really annoys me.

Sutton and Richard likely did the right thing but I felt sad for them because they seem to care deeply for each other. Their romance would be frowned upon because of their positions and the fact that she is so low down the totem pole. If he were having an affair with a single Jacqueline, for example, I think they'd be okay. She is my favorite of the three.

Thats the one big downside to dating a co worker, especially one higher up. No matter what it eventually comes out and if the couple breaks up, more often than not, one party ends up having to quit. I remember dating a fellow solider who was one rank above me (different company and worked in a different section as well), we didnt let it interfere with the job so the higher ups said nothing to us about it. (they were well aware the whole time), only downside to it was that some people seemed to think that they were entitled to know everything that was going on between us.  We broke up later and I told myself I would never date another soldier in my unit again.

I also found myself a tad annoyed with how Jane handled the talk with Pinstripe. I could see where she was coming from, but what annoyed me was she assumed and didnt give him a chance to speak his side. Even if her assumptions were correct, she should have let him have a say. Perhaps she was just trying to get it over with quickly so it would hurt less, but I can imagine it still hurt anyways. I get the impression that Pinstripe will be back. 

3 hours ago, jadecorleone said:

I also found myself a tad annoyed with how Jane handled the talk with Pinstripe. I could see where she was coming from, but what annoyed me was she assumed and didnt give him a chance to speak his side. Even if her assumptions were correct, she should have let him have a say. Perhaps she was just trying to get it over with quickly so it would hurt less, but I can imagine it still hurt anyways. I get the impression that Pinstripe will be back. 

Didn't Pinstripe pretty much state his side in the beginning of the ep, when they talked about the whole "I love you" thing? He pretty much said it was strictly FwB between them and he wasn't that emotionally invested, thus being fine with Jane going on a date with someone else. No reason to drag it out when he'd already put his opinion out there. The relationship that they had, such as it was, wasn't deep or intimate enough to require some long, drawn out break-up talk. It felt like a pretty real depiction of a no drama breakup of a casual relationship.

I for one am glad that they went with realism and didn't have Pinstripe suddenly fall deeply in love with Jane and instantly change his ways for her. That is a trope that I could stand not seeing for the millionth time.

• Love 1
Just now, HeySandyStrange said:

Didn't Pinstripe pretty much state his side in the beginning of the ep, when they talked about the whole "I love you" thing? He pretty much said it was strictly FwB between them and he wasn't that emotionally invested, thus being fine with Jane going on a date with someone else. No reason to drag it out when he'd already put his opinion out there. The relationship that they had, such as it was, wasn't deep or intimate enough to require some long, drawn out break-up talk. It felt like a pretty real depiction of a no drama breakup of a casual relationship.

I for one am glad that they went with realism and didn't have Pinstripe suddenly fall deeply in love with Jane and instantly change his ways for her. That is a trope that I could stand not seeing for the millionth time.

I missed the first part of the episode and was thinking about the conversation they had towards the end. Will have to go back and see if I can catch it again.