Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E09 Go Pirates!: Don't Have A Cow

• Start Topic

I agree that this is an underrated episode. When I think on season 1, this always comes to mind as a really well crafted episode.

I didn't watch Felicity so I didn't recognize Dr. Greg from that. However, I do remember this actor as Dylan from the Canadian teen soap Fifteen that I used to watch on Nickelodeon. Anyone?

Edited by veronicamers
Extra words

I agree that this is an underrated episode. When I think on season 1, this always comes to mind as a really well crafted episode.

I didn't not watch Felicity so I didn't recognize Dr. Greg from that. However, I do remember this actor as Dylan from the Canadian teen soap Fifteen that I used to watch on Nickelodeon. Anyone?

Yes! Fifteen! With Ryan Reynolds!

I would still wear both the argyle sweater and the blazer. So cute.

If I remember correctly from the 99% Invisible podcast, Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin were the first kids put on a milk carton; but, that was locally. Etan Patz was the first to be on a milk carton nationally.

When I was in the 7th grade, our science teacher had us take blood samples at home (finger prick) to determine blood type. But that was in the early 80s. These young whippersnappers probably had different rules.

I, too, would wear both the argyle sweater and the blazer.

I was about to excitedly say I used to watch Fifteen as well. But I now realize that it was actually James at 16.

This is one of my favorite episodes. Jonathan Bennett's presence does not hurt. :)

• Love 2

As the hosts have said, a very underrated episode. I liked seeing Veronica being happy and light and not so defensive around people. Her defensiveness at school is quite justified. It's just nice to see her be able to shed it for a while. 

And the waterbed scene? Yeah, you don't talk to your dad about him blowing his wad. And you don't casually mention that he's sexually active. Gross. Most kids do not want to even think about their parents having sex. 

And John, didn't you mention once on TWOP that Rob Thomas told you Sydney Tamiia Poitier was too expensive--in addition to the writers not finding  enough to do with her character? Jeez, you guys seemed to chat a lot back then. I thought you were budding BFFs.

• Love 1

Oh Ms. Dent...we hardly knew you.  Seriously, who are you again?

Logan is still recovering from Arron's asshol-ishness I guess, which is why we don't see him.  In the meantime, hello Jonathan Bennett!  Even with the over the top eyebrow dye, he's hot.  I wonder how he's aged. Don't worry Ramos, you get first refusal.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Flamingo said:

When I was in the 7th grade, our science teacher had us take blood samples at home (finger prick) to determine blood type. But that was in the early 80s. These young whippersnappers probably had different rules.

I remember pricking our fingers in the classroom for that purpose. I can't imagine why you would take them home?

On 8/5/2017 at 9:26 AM, Flamingo said:

If I remember correctly from the 99% Invisible podcast, Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin were the first kids put on a milk carton; but, that was locally. Etan Patz was the first to be on a milk carton nationally.

Though it's sunk into the cultural consciousness it was also a relatively short-lived, and almost wholly unsuccessful program. In fact, it contributed to making people think child abduction was rampant, when the opposite was, and remains, true. The entire program, which was only ever loosely organized, lasted only 5-6 years total. It was a completely defunct practice by the end of the '80s. It didn't help find any stranger-abducted children and lead to a lot of extra work for police checking out bogus tips and false leads. 

There's a really interesting story about one of the few so-called milk carton kids actually found, possibly due to their picture being there ... She was taken by her mother, had no idea she was even "missing," nor that her stepfather wasn't her real father. It wasn't exactly a storybook reunion or rescue.

4 hours ago, Affogato said:

I remember pricking our fingers in the classroom for that purpose. I can't imagine why you would take them home?

Disinterested teacher?  I don't remember that there was a specific reason for doing them at home.  Perhaps she didn't want to deal with 12 year old girls squealing about a little finger prick.  I really have no idea. When I questioned the validity of the test when it showed my identical twin sister and I had different blood types, she was pretty insistent that we did because the test said so. We weren't exactly dealing with a teacher from the A team.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, veronicamers said:

You see Veronica, like a good teenager disobeying her father and thinking independently for herself. You see Keith running his investigation the way Veronica runs hers, with disguises. You think after a month or two they'd become too well known to pull that stuff off. Former sheriff, plumber last week, pizza delivery guy the week before that....

Sometimes I wonder if Dohring didn't become a star in general because he was a serial scene grabber and people eventually didn't want to work with him. He doesn't seem to ever be in a scene and let the other person have their moment to shine and that is kind of an acting issue. I was thinking that watching the Originals, you could watch him in the scene and by his reactions see what was happening, but maybe that isn't always ideal. He mostly seems to lack some of the attractive energy in the VM movie and I zombie and I wonder if that is because Thomas learned his lesson?

Ok, everyone hates me now. But this episode may benefit by having less Logan. Even if he leans charmingly, has a wonderful adenoidal look of surprise, and really knows how to stare into someone's eyes like he loves them forever.

It would have been good to know how Casey comes out of the brainwashing. It wasn't actually a cult, so what do they do to him? Could they extract what he had earned from the nice people?

I also should add that I used to really wonder why some people I liked in tv shows weren't more visibly successful. I don't much anymore, and I think Dohring has talent and charisma, but not as much as say, Matthew McConaughey (or someone else that I could be confident of spelling correctly) and so on. I really wonder about a number of the actors in Battlestar Galactica (the remake) and with more reason. It is just a random hobby and my random idea at the time was probably a little offensive, considering I have no reason to believe that. 

Edited by Affogato
another thought
  • Love 1
On 8/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, STOPSHOUTING said:

Though it's sunk into the cultural consciousness it was also a relatively short-lived, and almost wholly unsuccessful program. In fact, it contributed to making people think child abduction was rampant, when the opposite was, and remains, true. The entire program, which was only ever loosely organized, lasted only 5-6 years total. It was a completely defunct practice by the end of the '80s. It didn't help find any stranger-abducted children and lead to a lot of extra work for police checking out bogus tips and false leads. 

There's a really interesting story about one of the few so-called milk carton kids actually found, possibly due to their picture being there ... She was taken by her mother, had no idea she was even "missing," nor that her stepfather wasn't her real father. It wasn't exactly a storybook reunion or rescue.

I think most child abductions are children abducted by parents. We are just so fascinated by the ones that aren't.....

I remember the milk carton pictures and remember not being able to imagine recognising a child from the pictures. Maybe if they were in my classroom, if I was a kindergarten teacher, but just randomly on the street?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Affogato said:

I remember the milk carton pictures and remember not being able to imagine recognising a child from the pictures. Maybe if they were in my classroom, if I was a kindergarten teacher, but just randomly on the street?

This is now totally off-topic, but I did actually recognize someone on the street who was reported missing. I was on my way to work and passed him walking down the street in the opposite direction. I had actually met him once (very briefly) 4-5 months earlier, which is why I paid attention when his photo showed up on the evening news as missing. If someone sees the same face every day on a milk carton, I could see how they might recognize that face on the street. Having said that, I'm not surprised that it is not a very effective way of finding missing kids.

With the caveat that I am also Of An Age with Sars and Couchbaron, schools would totally not be ok with having students draw their own blood! This used to be a thing in the time before HIV, students would actually Type their blood in Biology lab, but even in 1988 my school was not having it.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, par avion said:

With the caveat that I am also Of An Age with Sars and Couchbaron, schools would totally not be ok with having students draw their own blood! This used to be a thing in the time before HIV, students would actually Type their blood in Biology lab, but even in 1988 my school was not having it.

I don't remember the class sharing one blade between us. I am old, though. Perhaps my mind is going.

And that might explain why people would take the stuff home to make the slides. Mystery solved.

I always believed that Keith knew exactly what Veronica was up to with the paternity test. Mars v Mars (among others) showed that he was pretty much wise to what his daughter was up to.

I never had to take blood at school (and I'm the same age as Sarah) though I did get to dissect an eyeball (sheep or cow, IIRC). I do recall that my lab partner refused (on Ick! grounds, not animal cruelty ones) and I had to do it.[/reminiscing]

Oh Ms. Dent...we hardly knew you.  Seriously, who are you again?

Logan is still recovering from Arron's asshol-ishness I guess, which is why we don't see him.  In the meantime, hello Jonathan Bennett!  Even with the over the top eyebrow dye, he's hot.  I wonder how he's aged. Don't worry Ramos, you get first refusal.

You can find him on Food Network hosting Cupcake Wars (or one of the baking wars) and the occasional Hallmark Christmas movie.

• Love 1