Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Raccoon

(edited)

How bizarre is it that they would allow that baby raccoon in the house, and the school, and let all the kids play with it and then, like, days later they're not surprised that the rabid chicken-killer is Jasper. Like, why didn't Pa point out that obvious danger when they first found the raccoon, which is the main reason somebody even today would not take in a raccoon? It's like everybody's just worried about it pooping in the house and then halfway through the episode it's like, "Oh, right, and also it might have rabies."

Plus, okay, so it's not like the raccoon had much opportunity to get infected with rabies while it was living in the house, so wouldn't it have been incubating it the whole time? 

That said, of course this episode made a huge impression on me in its first run. It was absolutely how I found out about wanting or not wanting water somehow being a sign of rabies.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 1
On 5/28/2017 at 2:42 PM, Tara Ariano said:

Blaming herself when Laura's doll breaks during a game of catch, Mary is delighted to give her sad little sister an abandoned baby raccoon.

Yeah, after all, what better pet could you give to a depressed farm girl, than one that can grow up to rip off your face, infect you with rabies, and kill all your chickens after eating all their eggs ?

But on a more serious note, as a hick, I have personal experience in such matters; they really do make for awful pets. They always remained semi-feral to the few families that I knew that had them, and they often nipped. The family up the hill on the other hand, have a pet deer, and it’s quite tame.

• Love 1

How bizarre is it that they would allow that baby raccoon in the house, and the school, and let all the kids play with it and then, like, days later they're not surprised that the rabid chicken-killer is Jasper. Like, why didn't Pa point out that obvious danger when they first found the raccoon, which is the main reason somebody even today would not take in a raccoon? It's like everybody's just worried about it pooping in the house and then halfway through the episode it's like, "Oh, right, and also it might have rabies."

Plus, okay, so it's not like the raccoon had much opportunity to get infected with rabies while it was living in the house, so wouldn't it have been incubating it the whole time? 

That said, of course this episode made a huge impression on me in its first run. It was absolutely how I found out about wanting or not wanting water somehow being a sign of rabies.

Charles tried to let him go and he came back, so that's probably when he thought he got infected, not before he became a pet period. But, of course, I agree with you. Raccoons should not be made into pets.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Charles tried to let him go and he came back, so that's probably when he thought he got infected, not before he became a pet period. But, of course, I agree with you. Raccoons should not be made into pets.

Oh right, so he came back and that's when they had to put him in a cage to keep him. Which of course just made him angry. At least that part makes sense!

First of all, Jack, Jasper, the rabid raccoon, and the dead chicken are all smarter than Carrie.  

I would think "Don't take in wild animals, especially raccoons, because they might have rabies and/or try to claw your face off" would be lesson number one of any kid growing up on the prairie.  I'm genuinely surprised Charles would have even entertained the idea of keeping him in the cage after he came back.  

• Love 2

If I wasn't certain that Carrie is the product of Caroline's affair with Buzzbee the r******* guy, I'd say that Charles' stupid could have been inherited by Carrie, like it was passed to Laura.   Umm, you don't bring wild animals into your home.   You don't take in baby wolves either.   Period.   Charles Jr (Freddie) had the easiest and kindest fate.   He didn't have to grow up with such a dumb and failure of a father as Charles.  Freddie got off easy.   Uggh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kim! You keep getting better and better, keep up the great job!

Laura was an idiot for taking her doll with a PORCELAIN head outside to play. I remember in the books, Ma had her porcelain figurine on the mantel and that was one of their most precious belongings. And why did Laura get a doll like that? What did Mary get? What about Carrie? Did she get a prize? And where do these characters/animals go at the end of the episodes when they've served their purpose? I remember on TWoP we called them tertiary characters. For some reason I picture a Walking Dead style barn where they're all holed up wandering aimlessly after they've served their purpose.

ETA: loved "trash panda" too!!! Hee!

Edited by Lady Iris
4 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

And where do these characters/animals go at the end of the episodes when they've served their purpose?

In Jasper's case, I would say they shot him. It wasn't Jasper's fault, but they weren't going to be able to get rid of him, and he was dangerous to have around.  They probably should have shown that part at the end of the episode to drive home "don't take in wild animals."

This was the first episode I thought was pretty clever. The thing Jasper does is so cute and unexpected.

Then I realized how little "clever" a LHotP episode needs for me to think it's clever.

• Love 1