Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Phantomesque

After the devastating events of the previous episode, Klaus requests that his estranged siblings Rebekah and Kol return home to stand by their family against The Hollow. Meanwhile, Freya recruits Hayley for a dangerous journey that will put both their lives at risk - but may be the sole means of saving someone they love. Elsewhere, tensions rise when Marcel leads a hunt for The Hollow - putting him on a collision course with the person he was least prepared to face. Finally, as Kol continues to mourn the loss of Davina, he is forced to consider the lengths he'd go to see her again.

Promo:

Kinda boring episode... Once again hope saved the day... Yawn... Always nice seeing Rebecca... Do wonder how the show plans to break hers and/or Marcel's heart this time... Cuz I'm sure it will happen. 

I like this show, I do, but another witchiest witch whoever witched as the big bad is just getting old.

Though I don't mind Hope being the special child because I'm really hoping they can get her to Alaric's school so he and Caroline can join the show. I miss Caroline. She was a fun character and this show needs a fun character. 

Do we know any vampires sired by Elijah? I would like to see some consequence besides a bunch of European vampires we don't know falling down dead.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I like this show, I do, but another witchiest witch whoever witched as the big bad is just getting old.

Though I don't mind Hope being the special child because I'm really hoping they can get her to Alaric's school so he and Caroline can join the show. I miss Caroline. She was a fun character and this show needs a fun character. 

Do we know any vampires sired by Elijah? I would like to see some consequence besides a bunch of European vampires we don't know falling down dead.

I agree. Problem is they are all so all powerful it's hard to figure out who can really cause a conflict. Maybe we don't need a big bad? Do something else?  Although I did love the idea of their first children coming after them. If not so much the actual execution. And Kol is an Original! a bunch of teenagers can give him a headache and steal his stuff?! Come on.

agree on the Elijah sires. They should have established a character we cared about if they knew they were going there.  So I can't remember. Klaus must have sired Katherine then? Which means Caroline is of the line that is pretty much safe since the line has been broken?  Also means the only lines left are Rebecca and Klaus' "children".  Oh and Tristan isn't suffering at the bottom of the sea anymore?  Elijah made him so He's dead. Right? So long between seasons I just can't remember plot points.

Edited by MissL
Punctuation
  • Love 1

Klaus must have sired Katherine then?

He sired someone named Mary who sired Rose who sired Katherine etc. I think that was in Season 3 of TVD when the Mystic Falls vamps tracked down their sireline back to Klaus. So yup, Caroline is of Klaus` line as well.  

Oh and Tristan isn't suffering at the bottom of the sea anymore?  Elijah made him so He's dead. 

Almost forgot about him. I bet he was one vamp who didn`t mind.

I agree. Problem is they are all so all powerful it's hard to figure out who can really cause a conflict. Maybe we don't need a big bad?

Even before the show started, I knew that the only real antagonist could be witches. Who else could truly stand up to an Original? And if it isn`t witches themselves, it`s witchi-fu like creating an even more super-powered uber-vamp. 

Do we know any vampires sired by Elijah?

We met lots of Stryx last Season but noone memorable survived.

Though I guess vamps are on the endangered species list now with Finn`s, Kol`s and Elijah`s lines all wiped out. Though it seems Klaus might have been the busiest beaver in turning people who later show up as enemies with grudges. It`s a wonder he wasn`t revealed to be Sofia`s sire when she told her "you killed my family" story.  

Elijah's sire line was used well, the destruction was acknowledged yet insignificant because why would you care if your dance partner dropped dead when it signified your brother's death? It was a satisfying way for Kol and Rebekah to learn of Elijah's death, I wouldn't want to witness Klaus delivering the news

Marcel's extreme attachment to Sofya seems rather sudden, since they've last seen each other, so I'm guessing it's more of a I lost everybody (but Josh) attachment. Marcel and Klaus' faces when Rebekah realized he loved someone else were perfection, as was Rebekah's decorum. Marcel still not wanting to hurt Rebekah emotionally.

Freya and Hayley searching for Elijah was insanity especially as there was no reason Hayley and Klaus couldn't have switched roles. Freya's conviction that fractured and lost Elijah would recognize her was sad/painful. Hayley's belief that she was closer to Elijah than anyone was beyond naïve. Issues with their relationship aside, she's known him for less than 1/100th of his life and they were estranged for most of it. Klaus is the obvious choice to save Elijah from his own mind, in S2 he helped rescue Rebekah from Eva's mind & brought Elijah back after the initial red door opening.

I've been waiting for Hayley to see Elijah as the monster he truly is forever but ultimately her fear has me disappointed. I'm offended for Elijah that after everything, particularly Marcel and his s4 choices Hayley was still so blind to the darkness in him. But also the effect watching Elijah slaughter and even being attacked by Viking!Elijah had on Hayley, horrified, disgusted, ashamed, disturbed, angry etc I get, but her honest terror? After hearing of the diner massacre in s2 she slept with him for the first time but here her world seems shattered, she rejects Elijah & fears for Hope's safety. I get seeing the carnage would be disturbing and Elijah attacking her if non lethally and without recognizing her would be alarming but for the love of God, can we please stop pretending Hayley is all that different? She too is a monster just one who lived decades not centuries - I've always adored Klaus's talks with Hayley concerning Elijah. Honestly questioning Hayley's sanity & judging her knowledge of him is that she truly expected to find him in a good place. By now I'd think she would recognize that any of the siblings retreating to a good place as the core of them is pretty unlikely and considering the atrocities behind the red door, the fact Elijah acknowledges and owns that part of himself rather than ignoring and allowing himself to forget is a good thing.

If Kol could finally catch a break it'd be awesome (lost magic, reject sibling, repetitive daggering, humiliating death #1, never mourned, saved by mommy, humiliating death #2, cursed resurrection/kills girlfriend, brother sacrifices girlfriend, 5 years imprisoned with said brother -is a little compassion to much to ask?) The Hollow's proven her superior power over the factions of NOLA including the Mikaelsons and Marcel so luring Kol to her side seems strange. As The Ancestors are a main ally against the Hollow I'm thinking her actions have more to do with Davina as Vincent made Davina the gatekeeper between worlds and her living instead of residing on the Ancestral plane could very well interfere with the connection. Davina grew on me right before her death but I truly hope we see how her time dead has changed her as death has altered characters before.

I've always admired Kol's family loyalty, more so than Elijah or the others. Ignoring the complicated Finn, Kol has had the largest motive to go against his siblings and the weakest bond to fall back on yet he's never fully betrayed them. He's run off, pranked them, lied, forged a gold dagger and so on but he's the only Original to never seek a siblings true death, and even after they sacrificed Davina and he vowed revenge he stood by his family, heartbroken and destroyed, when their end was prophesied. Kol will do what's best for Kol but not at the destruction of his family, he also once died trying to prevent Silas' hell on earth though admittedly before he found Davina so I'm not worried over the possibility he joins the Hollow but anticipating the fallout when he presents Marcel as a sacrifice for Elijah.

On 6/3/2017 at 7:43 AM, AngelKitty said:

Being threatened by the evilest and most powerful witches in all of history is more than overdone but I find it infinitely better than watching the Mikaelson's outmatched and overpowered by the Scooby Gang of insignificant supernaturals. At least it's plausible for witches to pose a threat to the Original family, though I wouldn't be opposed to the Mikaelsons once again topping the food chain and becoming the big bad rather than drowning in misfortune and trying to be viewed in a sympathetic light. 

• Love 2

Of course Elijah's subconsciousness is defined by pristine white everything, the man is nothing but a stickler for order and clean lines. LOL 

So, so glad to see Rebekah and Kol again. When Elijah's sire line vampires started dropping like flies around them my first thought was "hooray, those annoying Strix are done!"

Seeing the Hollow raise Davina back from the dead and hold her over Kol's head just made me scratch my head. So like, why would the Hollow do this if she's so powerful? (rubs temples) 

I'm already over Hope being Super Witch, either ship her off to Alaric and Caroline's witch school in Mystic Falls once the Hollow is eventually defeated and/or have Alaric and Caroline pop up in NO when needed. 

And of course in any episode that he does not appear in, I'll insert my "more Vincent, please" request here. :-)

(edited)

Rather dull episode, but I really enjoyed the Red Door callback.  I can't remember exactly where we've heard that before - I think it was when Esther was fucking with them and locked his mind behind it because that's where he keeps his horrible memories and she wanted to torment him?  Something like that.  I appreciate a show that respects continuity across seasons, and they've been doing that pretty well this season.

ETA:  wow is the Hollow actress bad.  Super bad, like "didn't get a speaking role in Theater In The  Park's production of Our Town" bad.  Just awful.

Edited by mac123x
(edited)

Yay for having Rebekah, Kol, and Davina all in one episode. It's like old times!

As much as I enjoy seeing the old BAMF Elijah of yore, I felt like this turned into too much of a clip show due to Daniel Gillies directing the episode. I know they needed a way to give him less scenes but man.

My favorite moment in this show was Klaus once again trying to bully Freya and Hayley telling him to STFU and GTFO. It's scenes like that that remind me why Klaus annoys me so much. He's like a child who doesn't comprehend what is being explained to him so he has a temper tantrum and makes demands. Seriously, dude, if you would STFU for five seconds and listen to your sister explaining why she can't just abracadabra Elijah into being alive again, you would understand why she is taking precautions to make sure that nothing goes wrong. When she tried to explain it in simpler terms (the broken bone analogy), he just snapped at her again. Seriously, STFU, Klaus, for the sake of everyone.

The other thing that always annoys me about Klaus is that he acts like his pain or his motives or his feelings are the only ones that are valid and he acts like he's the smart or virtuous one. He is so focused on himself that he can't see two inches past his nose. Maybe Elijah and Freya haven't had personal interaction for hundreds of years the way Elijah and Klaus have, but Elijah is still her brother too and she has shown time and time again that her first loyalty is always to her family. Because she was taken away from her family by Dahlia, her siblings are the most important thing to her. She will do anything for them, yet Klaus acts like she's just sitting around twiddling her thumbs and refusing to help Elijah because she's a bratty teenager. No, Klaus, she's not resurrecting Elijah until she knows that he is safe and sane and stable, even if that means waiting an extra five minutes so calm the fuck down!

I love when Josh gets to be the voice of reason. Pointing out that the crap Klaus told Marcel is, you know, crap i always a highlight. Klaus can spout about having no allies because he has his siblings, but normal people in power know that they need allies in order to survive and to get what they want. An army of one can't win, not even an immortal army of one.

Why is Freya so insistent that Marcel is the alternate sacrifice to bring back Elijah if they can't kill the hollow? There's literally no one else in the entire world (or hell, just in all of New Orleans) who they can sacrifice instead? Why don't they go all Dexter and find some jerk vampire or witch who has been a dick and deserves to be killed?

As for Hayley's delicate sensibilities being offended by seeing Elijah kill some people, give me a fucking break. Did she not recall what happened behind one of the other doors she just opened a little while ago where she slaughtered a bunch of people in an alley? What about the twelve hybrids who she was fine with sacrificing so that she could find out who her birth parents were? As Klaus said, they have ALL killed people. I just found it silly that she was clutching her pearls because she saw Past Elijah kill some people. That can't be any worse than what she's seen the Mikaelsons do in person since she met them.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

This episode is the episode that made me quit watching this show. The whole thing was stupid and a constant interruption of suspension of disbelief "fest".

So, Freya can't sustain the spell and do the searching herself. Hayley volunteers to do the searching and then Freya complains she isn't powerful enough to sustain the spell and not be doing the searching herself. So, which is it? Since she's not doing the searching, Freya should have more concentration and focus available to put into the spell. Then she whines about how she needs a powerful witch who is of her bloodline aaaaaaannnnd of course we just happen to have one of those laying around doing nothing! So, the two of them do the spell so Hayley can go search, but then Hope decides she's got to do some searching, too! Now, if it took all of their combined power to enable Hayley to search, then how is there enough power available to put TWO PEOPLE into the spell - especially when you take away or diminish the amount of power being contributed by one of the two witches that were required to do the original spell with only Hayley searching?!?

And, of course, when Hayley goes searching, Elijah is behind the red door. I'll grant that it makes sense since there is a connection between him and red doors, but I hated the obviousness of it. All the other doors are white with different little symbols on them, but the macguffin she's looking for is behind the only door that doesn't look like all the others. Completely ridiculous.

Also, I am sick to death of Klaus. I am sick of the actor, I am sick of the character, and I am sick of the writing. Just all around fed up with anything having to do with either Joseph Morgan or Klaus. The best thing they could do for this show would be to kill that character and never show him again, even in flashbacks.

The writers for this show seem to be afflicted by whatever also afflicted the writers for The Vampire Diaries. Neither show's writers can keep their mythologies straight or make them make any sense. I am so done with this show and disappointed to see it's been renewed for season 5. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a crash-and-burn cancellation next year.

19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love when Josh gets to be the voice of reason. Pointing out that the crap Klaus told Marcel is, you know, crap i always a highlight. Klaus can spout about having no allies because he has his siblings, but normal people in power know that they need allies in order to survive and to get what they want. An army of one can't win, not even an immortal army of one.

I loved & agreed with Josh reasoning with Marcel but I have a deep appreciation for someone acknowledging the truth hidden in Klaus' philosophy. Klaus is over dramatic, self involved, paranoid, reckless, entitled & a bit delusional but he's not stupid -it's his mind paired with his commitment to achieve his goal through any means that makes him truly dangerous, that allows him to always win. There's logic, twisted and convoluted as it may be behind his actions which Elijah has excellently highlighted. Admittedly Klaus is out of his element in modern society belonging instead to a time with a ruling class/strict social hierarchy where he's at the top of the food chain but that's also the world he's lived in most of his life. 

20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why is Freya so insistent that Marcel is the alternate sacrifice to bring back Elijah if they can't kill the hollow? There's literally no one else in the entire world (or hell, just in all of New Orleans) who they can sacrifice instead? Why don't they go all Dexter and find some jerk vampire or witch who has been a dick and des

I think the thought is that Elijah's mega powerful and bringing him back would require a sacrifice of equal or greater power, which leaves the Mikaelsons, Marcel and The Hollow. Because New Orleans and Mystic Falls are the only locations for supernatural activity and post finale Mystic Falls is apparently rainbows and roses. 

20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As for Hayley's delicate sensibilities being offended by seeing Elijah kill some people, give me a fucking break. Did she not recall what happened behind one of the other doors she just opened a little while ago where she slaughtered a bunch of people in an alley? What about the twelve hybrids who she was fine with sacrificing so that she could find out who her birth parents were? As Klaus said, they have ALL killed people. I just found it silly that she was clutching her pearls because she saw Past Elijah kill some people. That can't be any worse than what she's seen the Mikaelsons do in person since she met them.

Seriously! Hayley sent a dozen of "her people" to their death instead of stealing a flash drive or doing actual research to find people she believed abandoned her. If that doesn't knock her moral high ground I'd like to reference her actions immediately following her becoming a vampire, and perhaps the horrific, unspeakable, unknown crimes of the missing 5 years. I think Hayley not trusting Elijah with Hope had to be my favorite part, the man killing 4 teenage girls a few days prior had no effect but this did?  Expecting to find Elijah in a good place rather invalidates knowing Elijah the self loathing, identifying as a monster and being a Mikaelson are more than obvious hints. The whole ordeal has me outraged on Elijah's behalf, Hayley's claimed to love him for 8 years and apparently never saw past the expensive suits, it feels like Damon had a better measure of him. Ironic as my only grievance on Hayley's behalf was Jackson's blind love for Andrea Lebonair & Elijah's apparent obsession with miracle Mikaelson.