Type keyword(s) to search

We're Never Getting the Setup to That Penguin Joke: The Spoiler Thread

• Start Topic

They keep a pretty tight lid on OITNB spoilers, but thanks to my obsessive online trawling habits I do know a few, so I thought we could do with a spoiler thread to handle filming tidbits.  I think if their next season schedule is similar to the last, they'll begin filming not long after season 2 airs [season 3 isn't confirmed yet, but come the fuck on.]

SO, two major things I know about season 2, one which disappoints me and one to which I'm looking forward:

1.  They're picking up a plot thread from the book, wherein Piper's grandmother passed away in real life while she was in prison.  She tried like hell to get a furlough to attend the funeral, but it was not granted.  For me it was the most poignant part of the book , and it also seemed like a pretty big turning point for Piper.  It was a terrible consequence of her actions that she had to reckon with, and she seemed to grow from the experience, as painful as it was.  So I'm disappointed that for season 2 they've filmed Piper being released on furlough to attend her grandmother's funeral.  But I guess that has way more narrative possibilities for them that they couldn't resist.  Still, the real Piper grappling with the pain of NOT being released could have had some narrative potential for the fictional Piper IMO.  So I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I was pretty disappointed when I found out they changed one of my favorite parts of the book. 

2.  I am happy though that they've filmed the whole sequence of Kerman's story where she flies on Con Air to Chicago to testify in the trial and also [in the book] runs into the Alex figure for the first time while in prison there waiting to testify.  Obviously the dynamic between Piper and Alex is completely different from what it was in the book between Piper and "Nora," but I'm still really interested to see where they go with this.  Jodie Foster directed the Con Air scenes as well as the scenes in the Chicago prison, and it seems like Piper and Alex may confront each other for the only time [in real time] in season 2 in those scenes.  That would appear to be the final one or two episodes of the season.

oh, bonus, 3.  Taylor and Laura filmed at a house in upstate New York some snowy day in February that was meant to stand in for a Bali resort [according to the location scouting letter].  Flashback scenes, obviously, and possibly where those "steamy" scenes that LP teased come in.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

Just curious  how you found out that Piper's furlough is  to attend her grandmother's funeral. I know it was released Piper get a furlough but where did the info come from it was the funeral (or did you just put 2 and 2 together from some of those night filming  shots that appeared on IG last fall plus the info in the latest EW article (or do you have some inside info)?

Read somewhere that Foster may have directed both Ep.1 and Ep13 since there seems to be some transistion occuring between 1 and 13.

Filming spoilers.  They filmed in a church somewhere in NYC, it was clearly a funeral, Piper was on furlough.  I just assumed it's the grandmother because that's what happens in the book.  It's definitely someone in her family because the actor playing her dad was present.

And yeah, they filmed material for 1 & 13 with Foster at the same time at the end of their shoot.  My guess would be there are flash forwards in the premiere [or flashbacks in the finale] that correspond to the same time in the two different episodes.

Early on, she must decide whether to tell the truth and testify against a drug lord, or lie and protect Alex (Laura Prepon), and her decision makes her want to declare herself ''a lone wolf, and a vicious one.'

Not really a spoiler but didn't want to post it in the Media Thread.

Whatever way she goes (I am betting on her telling the truth instead of protecting Alex), it should make for a good reunion between the two later in the season. (If LP came back for more than flashbacks)

(edited)

I think the season is bookended by the testimony in Chicago scenes, because they shot the finale and the premiere at the same time from what I remember.

ETA: oh, duh, you linked it in the media thread.  Got it.

Yeah, I linked it, but wasn't very clear. :)

I think the season is bookended by the testimony in Chicago scenes, because they shot the finale and the premiere at the same time from what I remember. 

That's interesting.  I haven't been following the spoilers that much.  When I heard that LP was back for four episodes, I assumed she would end up at Litchfield at some point before the end of the season. Well, I guess I was hoping she would end up at Litchfield at some point before the end of the season.  

I'm not sure she is at Litchfield tbh.  I think it may be all flashback and Chicago scenes.  Glad she's confirmed full time for season 3, though.  I love me some Vause.

Was just coming here to post this:

What sort of fallout can we expect from Piper and Pennsatucky's fight on Orange is the New Black? — Brittany

We already know that Piper lands in solitary​ ​— and goes a little off the deep end.But get this, it turns outthat Piper and Pennsatucky weren't the only ones involved in the brawl. As you'll see in flashbacks, someone else joins the fight, leaving Piper bruised but grateful.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Orange-Black-Vampire-Diaries-SVU-Spoilers-1082094.aspx

At first I thought it was a little retconnish that someone else would get involved in the fight, but I guess it does fade out with Piper still punching, so the fight wasn't really over.  And I'm guessing Alex is the likeliest suspect to break it up?  Anyhow, thought that was an interesting tidbit...

Guess it's time for season 3 spoilers.  Heh.  Some stuff may filter out from location shooting in NY.  As for what they're working on so far, Prepon was on the Today show and had this to say about the new scripts:

“"Have you ever read the scripts and like ‘Oh my gosh they want me to do this? Are people gonna see it?’ ?" "That happened to me yesterday. We are already shooting S3 right now. I literally read the script and I was like, oh my god, but it is also so exciting because that’s what you grow as a actress when you are totally like ‘Okay… We are doing this.’ "”

According to Entertainment Weekly, Jason Biggs said at OITNB's media day last week that he doesn't know what his involvement will be next season, if at all, and he hasn't filmed yet [they've already done three episodes].  Also according to Paste, Laura Prepon hinted that she'd already filmed a steamy sex scene with Taylor in the first three eps.  Maybe she doesn't take her re-incarceration as badly as I thought she would.  Or it could be a flashback.

Merged the two spoiler topics. If you ever need title edits, merges, double post fixes, etc. please use the report button or PM/ping one of us mods. We have the little yellow icon by our usernames. Thank you!

Spoilers away!

• Love 1

Just popping back to say the episode 3 Vauseman sex would not appear to be a flashback as they were filming at the children's psychiatric hospital that day, where they do the chapel and laundry scenes.  Also the list of [possibly facetious, possibly spit-balled] season 3 titles that Laura posted to instagram had an early entry called "The Great Hate Fuck."  Could be a coincidence...

• Love 3
(edited)

They were filming a Nicky backstory [presumably] with Natasha today around Times Square.

ETA: And today in Astoria.  

The fact that Nicky is getting a backstory to apparently right before she landed in prison suggests to me they're following up on where they left her with the hidden heroin.

(edited)

Looks like Piper finally gets that visit in prison from her dad:

BsmWweQCQAAMJX8.jpg

ETA: Also someone named Tanisha Thomas who is apparently a reality tv "star" has been cast for season 3 in an unknown capacity, and I hope it's not as fucking shark-jumpy as it sounds.  I hate stunt casting with amateurs.

ETA2: Oh, good, nevermind.  Netflix says she was lying about being cast.

• Love 1
(edited)
Looks like Piper finally gets that visit in prison from her dad:

This is an interesting spoiler. *finally*  I'm wondering why did he change his mind about visiting her? Did something (possibly good or bad) happen or what? Whatever it is I know I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping for more Piper flashbacks, I'm really curios about those years after she left Alex/before she met Larry. Like what did she do back then? I remember that couple from Piper's Furlough ep, they've said that she was always in newspapers, always achieving etc. It would be nice to see those things flashed out in flashbacks.

Edited by Gusto
  • Love 1

Little tidbit from TV Guide:

How will Alex react when she learns Piper is the one who turned her in on Orange Is the New Black? — Yuri

Not well. (And don't expect Alex to be grateful that Piper's betrayal possibly saved Alex from assassination.) "Alex sees through her bulls---," Laura Prepon says. "When Alex does find out, she's going to know why [Piper] did it and it will be really interesting." Perhaps Piper will lock Alex in the dryer again so they can talk it all out?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Once-Sons-Greys-Spoilers-1085057.aspx

(edited)

I am starting to feel sorry for Piper already. :)

My bet is that after angry "you sent me to prison" sex, Alex gets herself another prison girlfriend.  There are only so many opportunities for couples' conflict within the confines of the four walls. Or perhaps Alex starts dealing heroin again.  

Whatever it may be, I am looking forward to an Alex-filled season 3.

Edited by SaabStory

I dunno.  The hate sex seems to have been filmed for episode 3, so that gives her 2+ episodes to stew over what Piper did *before* it.  So it itself may entail some resolution.  Hard to say.  I'm going to be chomping at the bit for these come June 2015 tho.  I was pretty "meh" on the Piper-less second episode this season, but I don't think I'll have that problem next year.

• Love 1