Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Ma's Holiday

While on a second honeymoon trip with Charles in Mankato, Caroline can't help worrying about what's happening back home in Walnut Grove where old friend, Mr. Edwards, finds that babysitting three active little girls is not as simple as it seems.

Can't believe its already on the 8th episode. Had me legit laughing the whole way through especially at calling Carrie garbage, Pa dingus and his all those anxious boners of his. I do wonder what $2.50 would be valued at today.

1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Can't believe its already on the 8th episode. Had me legit laughing the whole way through especially at calling Carrie garbage, Pa dingus and his all those anxious boners of his. I do wonder what $2.50 would be valued at today.

According to a historical currency calculator I checked, about $60. 

• Love 1

Has Kim ever heard of the All-Of-A-Kind Family books by Sydney Taylor?  They're based on the author's life in the Jewish section of East Side Manhattan in the early part of the 20th century.   Sort of like "LHOTP" but more urban and ethnic and everyone was smarter.  So no way would there be a TV show based on them.  http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/13/reviving-all-kind-family-books/s3XU4aexLTlq11aJy0Z5WP/story.html?event=event25    Which is a shame because Henny would kick Nellie Olsen's ass six days a week.

• Love 2

True story: When my uncle was a small boy 3-4 years old - in the 1950's, he was tied with a rope round his waist when he was playing outside on his own. His mother was busy running a large household, so if he wanted to play outside and not inside where she could watch him, that was the solution. I know one one other grown man who experienced the same thing (also 1950's), so that part of Mr. Edwards' babysitting solutions doesn't seem that far out to me (I mean, it does, but as I know it happened and was normal so many years later in another part of the world, I suppose it might have happened on the prairie as well.)

This was really a WTF episode....   Who in their right mind would entrust their three young kids to a scraggly, disgusting, broken down alcoholic?!?!?!   It defies any common sense.     Mr. Edwards shoots a hole in the roof on day one, and has to fix it, so he NAILS baby Carrie to the roof????    I'm surprised that Harriet didn't go all Child Protective Services on those awful Ingalls people.   Such a shady family........

• Love 3
On 5/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, Reverand Alden said:

This was really a WTF episode....   Who in their right mind would entrust their three young kids to a scraggly, disgusting, broken down alcoholic?!?!?!   It defies any common sense.     Mr. Edwards shoots a hole in the roof on day one, and has to fix it, so he NAILS baby Carrie to the roof????    I'm surprised that Harriet didn't go all Child Protective Services on those awful Ingalls people.   Such a shady family........

Who in their right mind would leave the city to return to Carrie?  I mean, seriously.  

Way to be a wet blanket, Caroline.  Normally I love Ma (tv show Ma, not book Ma) but she actually gets to go somewhere and it's not to deal with the sick, it's not to work in a hotel and she's not sending Mary in her place.  

OMG, I too loved All of a Kind Family when I was growing up! 

• Love 2
On 5/22/2017 at 8:03 PM, Reverand Alden said:

Mr. Edwards shoots a hole in the roof on day one, and has to fix it, so he NAILS baby Carrie to the roof????

PTSD is a hell of a thing according to ML - trauma from the war causes Richard Mulligan to get addicted to mor-PHEEN and off himself; trauma from being nailed to the roof of a shack on a hobby farm by a "scraggly, disgusting, broken-down alcoholic" (thanks, RA) causes Carrie to develop speech pathology, wet herself regularly, and fall down a well.  I think ML should have written a Little Therapist on the Prairie into the show:  "Tell me about your mother, Caro-linn.  Did she always seem a little - how shall I put this - stiff to you?"  I swear, it just writes itself.

• Love 3
On 5/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, Reverand Alden said:

This was really a WTF episode....   Who in their right mind would entrust their three young kids to a scraggly, disgusting, broken down alcoholic?!?!?!   It defies any common sense. 

Yeah, you figure that Edwards was legally dead everyday around noon time, with his daily BAC. 19th century KinderCare Edwards was not, and you would have had to burn the house down after he left :D

Couldn’t figure out what the purpose of the belt he was wearing served, when he was wearing suspenders, and the pants that he was wearing didn’t even have belt loops.

I guess Edwards never learned in firearms safety course, that you never put your finger on the trigger of a gun until you’re ready to fire it. That would have saved him blowing a hole through the Ingalls roof, big enough for Carrie to fall through :D

Edited by wanton87
Punctuation
  • Love 1