Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Bad Moon

• Start Topic

John and Andy Hillstrand fish together for the last time. Keith's inattentive crew sends the Wizard on a collision course and a belligerent crew member tests Jake's resolve as a Captain.

(edited)

Wish Andy could have stayed for both crab seasons. I know people tend to not like him, but I was happy to see him there supporting his brother. Glad the Time Bandit ended their king crab season on a high note. 

Jake...at least he didn't have a screaming fit? So that's good? I wish Jake was more cutthroat though.

Speaking of cutthroat...I think Keith went overboard. I get that what's-his-face was being a little lazy overall, but firing him over earphones and not keeping eye contact?? And apparently he's been on the boat for 4 years. I didn't think he was purposefully ignoring keith when keith was talking to him. He was listening while winding the wire/rope or whatever it was. Even the crew seemed confused. Heck, they pretty much all had headphones on so yeah, they should have been reprimanded for that, but fired? Eeehhhh. I think he could have just given them a stern talking to and called it good.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 5

I think my time with Deadliest Catch is coming to a end.  I fell asleep twice during this one.  I don't need high drama, but I think I'm just bored with everyone.  I like all the captains and I wish good things for them & their families, but there isn't much to keep me interested.  Keith has a temper tantrum.  Jake freaks out. Bill picks crappy crew members. Sig is a tough old SOB who will probably fish til he's 70 & die in his chair. Jonathan frets over his dilapidated boat.  Wash-rinse-repeat.  Sean's boat and bringing Zach aboard is interesting, but I feel like Sean gets little coverage compared to the more senior boats.

• Love 3

At least this time they didn't hide Jake's good fortune.

Robbie's firing was a long time coming.  Keith's crew routinely cashes out as big as any.  If they don't want to give him maximum deference, they can forego the maximum paycheck.  He reeeeeally need them to hustle so as to avoid a major expense and hassle of making port elsewhere.  Not one of them gave a fig.

The TB grew on me these last few seasons.  I wish Jonathan the best.  I enjoyed the traditional Disco editing a Freddie dance into some mystical great fishing luck.  103?!!  Wow.

• Love 3

Keith's a dry drunk.  Just because you've been away from the booze doesn't fix ALL of the behavior. He wanted a fight, and he got one.  He's in town, worried about ending up at the bar, needs to blow off steam, wonders if they've gotten anything on film to justify his being on the show (think about it -- did anything happen on the Wizard other than getting a pink coiler, or have I forgotten?) and decided it was time to resurrect King Alpha Silverback.

Hint, Keith, when a more powerful person is physically intimidating a subordinate, the subordinate looking away isn't disrespect, it's submission.  Keep going in after that and you're an asshole.    If he had looked you in the eye you would have said he was challenging you, and fired him for that.

Hope that guy ends up with Sean or Jake.  

A simple "Hey, everybody, earphones OFF while the crane's running" over the loud hailer would have sufficed... IF that was the real reason for going out on deck.  

• Love 9

I don't know how long Keith has had a problem with alcohol, but I do know he's had a problem with rage since he's been on this show.  Who can forget him attacking the cameraman/producer (?) years ago, or any of his many explosions?  He has a hair trigger - alcohol may just fuel that fire.

• Love 2

Walnutqueen - Not me !   I would guess Keith is a very nasty drunk.  Well, the nice Keith did not last very long - back to his old screaming, crazy self. He should have called all the guys inside, had a meeting and instructed them all to not use the ear buds. As usual, he over reacted. Watch that the person he hires to take Robbie's place sucks like the kid he hired a couple of seasons ago to replace Amy.

I enjoyed Andy and John together and am happy for Johnathan they got to spend their last season together. The TB has also grown on me the last couple of years.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, BusyOctober said:

I think my time with Deadliest Catch is coming to a end.  I fell asleep twice during this one.  I don't need high drama, but I think I'm just bored with everyone.  I like all the captains and I wish good things for them & their families, but there isn't much to keep me interested.  Keith has a temper tantrum.  Jake freaks out. Bill picks crappy crew members. Sig is a tough old SOB who will probably fish til he's 70 & die in his chair. Jonathan frets over his dilapidated boat.  Wash-rinse-repeat.  S

Even the crab are leaving.

But seriously, I find it interesting that not one of the captains has mentioned climate change or global warming.   Quotas have shrunk, Bairdi season is canceled, the waters are warmer than usual and crab are going deeper ... the writing's on the wall.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, millennium said:

Even the crab are leaving.

But seriously, I find it interesting that not one of the captains has mentioned climate change or global warming.   Quotas have shrunk, Bairdi season is canceled, the waters are warmer than usual and crab are going deeper ... the writing's on the wall.

I thought they mentioned it in the first episode of this new season, and explained that that's why they are going farther out and looking deeper for the crab.

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I thought they mentioned it in the first episode of this new season, and explained that that's why they are going farther out and looking deeper for the crab.

I thought so too.  One of the captains pooh-pooh'd climate change, went to his usual hunting grounds, and ended up with empty pots.

Edited by GreyBunny

Keith's a raging psychopath. He had zero reason to fire the the deck hand and zero control over himself. I was surprised the rest of the crew, especially the guy's brother, didn't all pack their stuff and go too. They could have all joined Sean on the Brenna A, even if it was just to cod fish for now. Does Disco still do After the Catch or whatever the captain's wrap ups of the season were called? It will be interesting to see how Keith tries to spin it or how the others react. Hell, even Jake isn't that unhinged and he's 12 seconds from stroking out every other moment.

• Love 2

I truly think this might be it for DC. TB hasn't been the same the last few years with Andy not being there and the loss of old, good deckhands. They really became more serious after the fireworks incident, which is understandable. Glad Elliott, Jr., and Jake Harris are still gone. Weird without the CM too. Bill may a big mistake buying a boat. I DESPISED Nick forever. Then I had sympathy when it seemed he was really sick. Bill should of kicked his ass though. Jake A will stroke out at this rate. I was always a big fan of his but God his meltdowns are getting old now. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Keith's a raging psychopath. He had zero reason to fire the the deck hand and zero control over himself. I was surprised the rest of the crew, especially the guy's brother, didn't all pack their stuff and go too. They could have all joined Sean on the Brenna A, even if it was just to cod fish for now. Does Disco still do After the Catch or whatever the captain's wrap ups of the season were called? It will be interesting to see how Keith tries to spin it or how the others react. Hell, even Jake isn't that unhinged and he's 12 seconds from stroking out every other moment.

Keith definitely has emotional problems. IDT Kieth is all bad though. I think we only saw a tiny amount or problems with Robbie. I think it'd been building for sank. Remember when Roger and Robbie tried telling Kieth "Either Kevin goes or we go."? They were lucky not to be fired right there.

8 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Keith definitely has emotional problems. IDT Kieth is all bad though. I think we only saw a tiny amount or problems with Robbie. I think it'd been building for sank. Remember when Roger and Robbie tried telling Kieth "Either Kevin goes or we go."? They were lucky not to be fired right there. How the hell could they've" all went to the Brenna A" when that boat has the smallest,quota and just finished their crab season? I do miss ATC but now it looks like they don't even have The Bait. That just sucks!

On 5/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

At least this time they didn't hide Jake's good fortune.

Robbie's firing was a long time coming.  Keith's crew routinely cashes out as big as any.  If they don't want to give him maximum deference, they can forego the maximum paycheck.  He reeeeeally need them to hustle so as to avoid a major expense and hassle of making port elsewhere.  Not one of them gave a fig.

The TB grew on me these last few seasons.  I wish Jonathan the best.  I enjoyed the traditional Disco editing a Freddie dance into some mystical great fishing luck.  103?!!  Wow.

I agree on Kieth too. Robby was a good hand but I thinks he has an attitude problem too. Keith might regret it though.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:47 PM, walnutqueen said:

I don't know how long Keith has had a problem with alcohol, but I do know he's had a problem with rage since he's been on this show.  Who can forget him attacking the cameraman/producer (?) years ago, or any of his many explosions?  He has a hair trigger - alcohol may just fuel that fire.

This seemed to be a different kind of rage -- he seemed to be visibly working himself up to it, like a soothing mechanism.  

He looked to be back on the chew -- was he spitting in one scene?  

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, kassa said:

This seemed to be a different kind of rage -- he seemed to be visibly working himself up to it, like a soothing mechanism.  

He looked to be back on the chew -- was he spitting in one scene?  

If working yourself up to a rage is a soothing mechanism, you've got a problem!  ;-)

And yes, I noticed the spit-cup too.

• Love 2