Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Love of Johnny Johnson

4 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I may be wrong but I think in a later episode they change up the "how ma and pa met" story. It seems like it shifts to there being a dance or something. I might be confused.

Right, in that later episode Pa's played by Matthew Labyorteaux.

For some reason, I have a very distinct memory of some of this episode. Specifically, when Laura yells, "It's Johnny Johnson!" and runs inside to primp and fix herself up. Maybe I had a crush on someone at the time, and it resonated with me. I didn't realize this episode was so early in the show's run.

I also remember an episode where Nelly pretends to befriend Laura, and tricks her into saying all kinds of gooey sappy stuff about a boy she likes. Was that Johnny too? Anyway, Willie is hiding, and recording everything she says on some sort of 1800's recording device. Then Nelly plays it for the school and Laura is completely mortified.

Johnny cluelessly showing Laura the carved "MI" initials on the tree reminds me of that Simpsons episode where the older girl Bart has a crush on is telling him all about the new man in her life, Jimbo Jones, and Bart is absolutely heartbroken. Then she reaches into his chest and pulls out his heart and says, "You won't be needing THIS!" and throws it against the wall, where it slides down into the trash can, leaving a bloody smear behind.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ShellSeeker said:

For some reason, I have a very distinct memory of some of this episode. Specifically, when Laura yells, "It's Johnny Johnson!" and runs inside to primp and fix herself up. Maybe I had a crush on someone at the time, and it resonated with me. I didn't realize this episode was so early in the show's run.

I also remember an episode where Nelly pretends to befriend Laura, and tricks her into saying all kinds of gooey sappy stuff about a boy she likes. Was that Johnny too? Anyway, Willie is hiding, and recording everything she says on some sort of 1800's recording device. Then Nelly plays it for the school and Laura is completely mortified.

Johnny cluelessly showing Laura the carved "MI" initials on the tree reminds me of that Simpsons episode where the older girl Bart has a crush on is telling him all about the new man in her life, Jimbo Jones, and Bart is absolutely heartbroken. Then she reaches into his chest and pulls out his heart and says, "You won't be needing THIS!" and throws it against the wall, where it slides down into the trash can, leaving a bloody smear behind.

No, the boy in "The Talking Machine" episode is Jason, the aspiring Thomas Edison science geek; Laura's crush on him prompts her to think about becoming a "lady" scientist.

Ironically, Bart's crush in that episode of The Simpsons was voiced by Sara Gilbert, Melissa's (Laura's) real-life sister!

5 hours ago, SinInTheCamp said:

Ironically, Bart's crush in that episode of The Simpsons was voiced by Sara Gilbert, Melissa's (Laura's) real-life sister!

That's right! On the surface you wouldn't think there would be a connection between The Simpsons and LHOTP. You can find anything if you dig deep enough. LOL.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2017 at 2:42 PM, swimmyfish said:

Man, Johnny isn't even '70s attractive. That is a real shame.

He is by far the fugliest boy Laura ever crushed on.

Although I usually want to slap the taste out of PrissPot Mary's mouth, she had it right when she called him "homely."

• Love 1
On 4/27/2017 at 2:45 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

I may be wrong but I think in a later episode they change up the "how ma and pa met" story. It seems like it shifts to there being a dance or something. I might be confused.

Yeah, this show was notorious for this sort of thing RBN, probably even more so than most shows of that time. The writers must have banked on the fan base suffering from memory loss. I remember the episode that introduced Royal Wilder, and his two bratty sons. Later, Royal shows up again (and I’m pretty sure it was a different actor playing him) and this time the sons are gone, and now he has a daughter, Jenny. Speaking of which, I hear that she’s in remission, so hopefully she pulls through it okay.

• Love 2