Type keyword(s) to search

Big Picture Thoughts On Season 6

• Start Topic

I just criticized Darienne in her thread, but I have to say, the fact that Darienne is the worst this season can muster (well, aside from the terrible Laganja) is really great! Darienne is tame and talented compared to bitches past (PhiPhi, Roxxy). She's like Alexis Mateo except less annoying.

Really, this has been an excellent season so far. Early bootees, like April and Milk, would probably have been top contenders in past years. Even Laganja, whom I can't stand, performed well when she wasn't required to use her voice in any way (she deservedly won the first mini challenge). And unless Darienne gets much meaner real fast, none of the top 7 has caused me any seething rage. I'm thrilled!

While I still think there are only two acceptable winners (Ben and Bianca), the talent level is really improved this season. I hope that the lack of tension and increased talent is a pattern for this show, and not just a Season 6 Itch, like ANTM.

• Love 2

I think this is the best season by far in terms of the breadth of talent. Since they kicked Laganja and her delusional bag of BS to the curb, there really isn't anyone I desperately want to get off my TV screen. There are a couple (Darienne / Joslyn) that still don't have a chance in hell, but at least they keep it interesting.

And I really don't mind Darienne's shade all that much. It's really shade-lite. She couldn't back-peddle fast enough in Untucked when the other girls started to call her on it.

The queens left this season are all pretty fabulous at this point. I was actually sad to see Trinity go too. Can't they just all be winners? They really did an amazing job with casting this season. So little chaff compared to previous seasons. I have never had trouble saying goodbye to queens at this point in the show before.

• Love 2

It's funny -- in some ways, this season is so well cast, with very little cannon fodder. Even Kelly Mantle had a lot to show and I would love to see more of her somewhere else. Vivacious wasn't really right for the show, but she's the kind of queen I'm glad to have gotten to know -- something new (or old, I guess, but new to me), like something straight out of Paris is Burning! Gia and Langa were annoying, but fun to have around for a while. Trinity had moments that made me wanted to push her off the stage, then others when I wanted to invite her over for a family dinner. And on and on -- there was something worthwhile to everyone (except Magnolia).

And yet... the winner seems obvious to me. Bianca del Rio in my opinion is the real thing, you know? A star, someone who can go on to something far beyond this show. She's so much more confident, put together, and capable than I think anyone we've ever seen on the show before. I guess I'll go on to rant about her in her own thread but god she's just amazing!

So... yeah, for me in some ways this season is just waiting for Bianca to win, kind of like how the All-Stars season was just waiting for Chad to win. But the fun is in finding out who will make it to the top three and what other crazy things Adore and Joslyn will say along the way.

• Love 3

I just rewatched this season over the weekend, and I could not with Darienne. She was such a bitter betty. And I always liked BenDeLaCreme, but on rewatch realized she is more amazing than I thought. Seriously, so quick and funny, great looks, and in no way was she less versatile than Bianca. And I liked Bianca. This season was stacked with a lot of talent, even though it was full of a lot of fairly young queens. The only one I thought was lame was Magnolia, who wore a church lady suit to the effing reunion extravaganza and looked like crap next to all those gowns. 

On 5/2/2017 at 6:12 PM, kieyra said:

Rewatching for the first time in a long while. This season is so fucking fantastic. An embarrassment of riches. 

It truly is.

For me, the biggest plus of Season 6 that is lost (again, for me) Season 7 onwards: The Casting was perfect for Season 6. Everyone was memorable from the upper echelon of Bianca Del Rio down to "I'm only here for exposure" Magnolia Crawford and "Bacon" Kelly Mantle. I can pick something to remember for each queen of Season 6 and there are some from Seasons 7-8 I have to be reminded they were on.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

It truly is.

For me, the biggest plus of Season 6 that is lost (again, for me) Season 7 onwards: The Casting was perfect for Season 6. Everyone was memorable from the upper echelon of Bianca Del Rio down to "I'm only here for exposure" Magnolia Crawford and "Bacon" Kelly Mantle. I can pick something to remember for each queen of Season 6 and there are some from Seasons 7-8 I have to be reminded they were on.

Yep, same. And it meant that every elimination, with the possible exception of Laganja, actually hurt. 

(I remember being so over-the-top annoyed by Laganja, but now I can watch her and marvel about what a totally watchable hot mess she was.) 

• Love 1