Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music, Y'all!

• Start Topic

What do you think about Luke Bryan's new song?  I know the country music industry gets flack for not being too accepting.....in his song, the lyrics say that people should love who they want to and nothing to be ashamed of.  It sounds like a song in support of the LGBT community.  I really like the song.  It has a good message, imo.

• Love 1
Just now, Silver Raven said:

Bebe Rexha is now the longest number one country song by a woman ever.

That's just such bullshit. I hate it.

That's why it's even more important that I'm here bringing you guys the 100 Greatest Women list from Country Universe. I love that they're including both legends AND women who may be somewhat under the radar, but deserve more attention. :)

• Love 4
On 3/11/2018 at 4:27 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

What do you think about Luke Bryan's new song?  I know the country music industry gets flack for not being too accepting.....in his song, the lyrics say that people should love who they want to and nothing to be ashamed of.  It sounds like a song in support of the LGBT community.  I really like the song.  It has a good message, imo.

Yeah, I like that song too. I think Country is pretty accepting of LGBT, all things considered. One of the main announcers on CMT is Cody Alan, who’s gay. When he came out, I remember several stars coming out congratulating him. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the artists congratulated him.  I suspect it's more of the fan base that might be bothered.  At least, that's what those few country artists who have come out as gay or lesbian say. It seems to be very challenging.  Chely Wright said it killed her career. Her albums sales went down by half.  But, times are changing.  I wonder when a major country artist will announce they are gay.  So far, no one seems to feel comfortable doing it. 

http://tasteofcountry.com/chely-wright-coming-out-career/

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Yeah I can't decide whether I believe it or not because of the "sources."  From what I can tell the original source is the not exactly reliable US Weekly. Some articles make it sound like they were on tour together for awhile, but it was only three dates in February.

Then again she's cheated twice already. Once with Blake while he was married to his first wife (which makes his karma tweet ridiculous because he's a cheater too) and then again while she was married to Blake. 

Edited by Stuffy
(edited)
On 4/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know if this story about Miranda's boyfriend being married is true? (Recently, that is.)

Considering the source, I wasn't sure if it was true.

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2018/04/miranda-lambert-in-love-married-boyfriend/

Evan's  (soon to be ex?) wife Staci recently had a post on Instagram about getting through last week, so...yeah.

I love Miranda so much, and at the end of the day he's the one who cheated, but DAMN, girl! When it comes to married men, heed by the old saying: "You can look, but you can't touch." ;) (I only bring this up because of the Blake factor. At the end of the day, THEY broke up their own marriages, not her.)

Saving Country Music had a story about how some in the country music press had an idea about this a few weeks ago, but sat on it, thinking it wasn't their business:

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/this-miranda-lambert-and-evan-felker-business/

And of course, expressed some sadness that THIS is how the Turnpike Troubadours finally got some mainstream country press, after years of underground country acclaim (and the fact that Us Weekly mis-genred them, WTF):

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Oh my......no, that's not good.  Miranda might be single, but, to hook up with a married man, TWICE...well.  Maybe, they are in love, but, you know the saying......you lose them, the way you got them.  I wonder if that is how she and Blake split up.  I never found out what that was really about. 

(edited)

Well, here's how they got together: performing David Frizzell and Shelly West's "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma" at a country duets special in 2005 (when he was still married). The eyefucking is OFF. THE. CHARTS.  He admitted later on that he essentially fell in love with her right there on stage. (And it needs to be said:  His hair looks like shit.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-YE_zFBzI

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Aw, I think she's pretty. 

I do hope she sticks with country, though, and that "The Middle" is an aberration. I feel like whatever personality her voice has is lost in that song.

But anyway, who do you guys hope will turn up in this year's 100 Greatest Women list as it continues? Obviously some legendary names will stay the same as they did 10 years ago, but I'm curious to see who in the middle of the pack will find their ranking decreased/increased depending on how their influence has changed since 2008. 

Also: read this blog. It's amazing.

https://highwayqueens.com/

I'm not sure how it works on the amazing country women.  Is there a time cutoff? Trisha Yearwood is probably my favorite country modern.  I also adore Martina McBride, Dolly and Loretta Lynn. 

I like Maren Morris too, though, I get what you mean.  I just feel like she was channeling me when she co-wrote My Church.  It really speaks to me.  Just love it. 

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Next, an alt-country favorite.

#68: Patty Griffin. 

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2018/05/21/100-greatest-women-68-patty-griffin/

To me, Patty is the real deal.  I wasn't that familiar with her until she dated and toured with Robert Plant. So, I saw her on tour with him.  She's very talented, imo, and apparently loves to tour.  She is consistently touring.  She's also quite the songwriter.  One of my favorites is Let Him Fly.  (Dixie Chick fame)

• Love 2

Griffin incorporates, and well, a wonderful blend of genres/sounds/traditions into her music; she's one of those artists who is truly interesting to listen to, as well as simply pleasing to the ear.

The Dixie Chicks are one of my favorite bands, so put them on a Patty Griffin song and it's almost certain to please me, but Top of the World is the one I'll immediately stab the "repeat" button to listen to multiple times before moving on.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, Bastet said:

Griffin incorporates, and well, a wonderful blend of genres/sounds/traditions into her music; she's one of those artists who is truly interesting to listen to, as well as simply pleasing to the ear.

The Dixie Chicks are one of my favorite bands, so put them on a Patty Griffin song and it's almost certain to please me, but Top of the World is the one I'll immediately stab the "repeat" button to listen to multiple times before moving on.

I'm embarrassed to say that I purchased Home album, but, never paid Top Of The World much attention.  Too bad, because it's quite powerful.  Here's the video.  I wonder where Patty got her inspiration for such a song, considering how close she was to her parents, especially her father. 

• Love 1