Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music, Y'all!

• Start Topic

Three more number one hits!

9. Restless Heart--"Fast Movin' Train"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of February 23rd, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/04/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-restless-heart-fast-movin-train/

10. Patty Loveless--"Chains"

#1 on Billboard the week of March 10th, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 2nd, 1990. 

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/04/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-patty-loveless-chains/

11. Paul Overstreet--"Seein' My Father in Me"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 9th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/04/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-paul-overstreet-seein-my-father-in-me/

On 5/31/2021 at 5:45 PM, UYI said:

Zackary Kephart of the Musical Divide--he is one of the commentators for CU on the Sirius list--he is currently writing a series called A Modern Country Music History, which spans six parts between 1989-2019. Here's what he's got so far:

This is really good.  Part 5 is up today. 

I guess we might as well forget about the original countdown since it's now been almost a month since it's been updated.

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

This is really good.  Part 5 is up today. 

I guess we might as well forget about the original countdown since it's now been almost a month since it's been updated.

Not necessarily: they've taken long hiatuses from it before.

But given what a weird list it is, I don't blame them for stopping it for a bit to do something that is better for their blood pressure, lol.

Since you mentioned it, here are the next parts of MD's Modern Country Music History:

Part Four--Bros and Broncos (2012-2014):

https://themusicaldivide.com/2021/06/01/part-four-a-modern-country-music-history-bros-and-broncos-2012-2014/

Part Five--Returning Home (2014-2016):

https://themusicaldivide.com/2021/06/03/part-five-a-modern-country-music-history-returning-home-2014-2016/

• Love 1

Just for you @bankerchick:

It turns out that someone asked about the Sirius list in the comments of the most recent entry of the Every #1 Country Single of the Nineties feature, wondering if they had stopped doing it for good, and CU's main blogger, Kevin John Coyne, responded with this message:

No, the rest is coming! We promise!

So there you go. :) 

• Love 1

Following Paul Overstreet on the list of number one country songs in the nineties is, appropriately enough, the man who made so many of the songs PS wrote or co-wrote such enduring modern country classics (Overstreet is WAY better known as a country songwriter than singer). That said, this is actually NOT one of his (Overstreet's) works here.

12. Randy Travis--"Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart"

#1 on Billboard for four weeks, beginning the week of March 9th, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records for two weeks, from March 16th, 1990-March 23rd, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/05/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-randy-travis-hard-rock-bottom-of-your-heart/

Next up, two of the biggest country stars of the entire decade get their first number ones of the decade.

13. Garth Brooks--"Not Counting You"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 30th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/07/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-garth-brooks-not-counting-you/

14. Alan Jackson--"Here in the Real World"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of April 6th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/07/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-alan-jackson-here-in-the-real-world/

(edited)

Our next #1 country song from the nineties comes from, in my opinion, one of the most criminally underrated female artists of that decade, and a personal favorite of mine (can you tell?).

Also, full disclosure: The chorus of this song used to be the ringtone on my phone. It made getting scam calls a LOT more amusing for me, that's for sure! :P

16. Lorrie Morgan--"Five Minutes"

#1 on Billboard the week of April 14th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/09/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-lorrie-morgan-five-minutes/

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm dying here. I've been on these forums for ages, following Survivor, and I had no idea this thread exists.

Jonathan from CU here. Delighted by this entire thread. Seriously. Love to see that the project is resonating and that folks are reading.

We've always been a write-when-the-spirit-moves-you-and-you-have-the-bandwidth outfit, but I will say that Kevin, Zack, and I all wish that the women we are lucky to count among our crew had more bandwidth to contribute. We do pride ourselves on the diversity of our writers' bench-- especially in the country music space-- but always respect when those writers are game to join in or sit out.

Which is to say I'm the hold up on the Sirius list, and we'll be back at it soon.

Edited by omophagia
  • Love 4

OMG, Jonathan! I LOVE all of your stuff! I SO appreciate everything you guys have done. I'm almost a little bit shy now about continuing, lol. But of course, I will. :)

Our next number one country song of the nineties comes from an artist who found a fair bit of success in the genre in the 80's (his 1987 single, "Three Time Loser", is a favorite of mine; it has kind of a Bruce Hornsby thing going on with it). Sadly, he passed away in 2009.

18. Dan Seals--"Love On Arrival"

#1 on Billboard for three weeks, from April 21st, 1990-May 5th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/11/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-dan-seals-love-on-arrival/

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, some of y'all have been waiting for this moment (I guess? Maybe?)...the return of the Sirius XM list! We're in the 100s now, so it won't be all that much longer, relatively speaking, until it's done and I'll be focusing all my energy here on the country #1's of the 90's lists (unless too many of you feel it becomes too annoying/too much of a nuisance seeing these posts here from me, especially given that that list isn't NEARLY as snark worthy as this one is...or I start to lose track of it over time, whichever comes first, lol...but in all seriousness, I understand if you're not as interested in the 90's list, I just REALLY am interested in it and would like to try to continue it here):

#190: Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Three--“One Piece at a Time”

#189: Kenny Chesney--“There Goes My Life”

#188: Roger Miller--“England Swings”

#187: Brooks & Dunn--"She’s Not the Cheatin’ Kind”

#186: Miranda Lambert--“The House That Built Me”

#185: Ray Price--“Heartaches By the Number”

#184: Garth Brooks--“Unanswered Prayers”

#183: Keith Urban--“Who Wouldn’t Wanna Be Me”

#182: Alan Jackson--“Don’t Rock the Jukebox”

#181: Loretta Lynn--“You’re Lookin’ at Country”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/12/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-190-181/

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Our next number one song is from an artist that retired from the business in 2006, but is nonetheless fondly remembered by many for his neo-traditionalist sound.

20. Ricky Van Shelton--"I've Cried My Last Tear For You"

#1 on Billboard the week of June 2nd, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of May 18th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/13/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-ricky-van-shelton-ive-cried-my-last-tear-for-you/

• Love 1
17 hours ago, UYI said:

#190: Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Three--“One Piece at a Time”

What?  I mean, this novelty song is amusing enough, but it shouldn't even be on the list, let alone in the top 200. 

17 hours ago, UYI said:

#188: Roger Miller--“England Swings”

I am seriously scratching my head at this one, too, and by the fact revealed in the CU commentary that there are FOUR Roger Miller songs in the top 200.  I'd put four in the top 1000, and only "King of the Road" in the top 200.

17 hours ago, UYI said:

#185: Ray Price--“Heartaches By the Number”

Oh, come on.  I don't love this song (I like it, but don't love it), but it's a honky-tonk classic; move it up at least 50 slots.

17 hours ago, UYI said:

#183: Keith Urban--“Who Wouldn’t Wanna Be Me”

I'm not much of a Keith Urban fan, and this is probably my favorite of the few songs of his I like, but it ain't top 200!

• Love 1
On 6/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bastet said:

I'm not much of a Keith Urban fan, and this is probably my favorite of the few songs of his I like, but it ain't top 200!

Keith Urban's a beautiful man who makes some nice music, but I can't think of one of his songs which belongs in the Top 200.

Another female-led number one country hit from the 90's (yes, sometimes you actually--GASP!--saw women get back-to-back number one songs on the country charts), this time from a West Virginia native with a fantastic alto voice (as a female alto myself, I'm even more of a fan of hers).

22. Kathy Mattea--"She Came From Fort Worth"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of June 1st, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/15/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-kathy-mattea-she-came-from-fort-worth/

• Love 1

Taking a brief break from the 90's #1 list to go back to the next ten entries from the Sirius XM list (which, in one judge's opinion, ranks the best country song of the 90's FAR too low--but I'll let y'all be the judge of that).

Speaking of which, not to toot our own horn too much, but WE GOT A SHOUTOUT! :D

At any rate, the only people who might get more outraged by this ranking are the folks over at the PrimeTimer forums that have been following and discussing this list. Y’all rock, by the way. 

I'm genuinely walking on a cloud here now. NEVER, in a billion years, did I EVER think anyone from CU would find out that I had been posting this list here/we've been discussing it here. THANK YOU for all the work you've done on this, guys. <3

Anyway, on to the list:

#180: Brad Paisley--“We Danced”

#179: Randy Travis--“Deeper Than the Holler”

#178: Jim Ed Brown--“Pop a Top”

#177: The Band Perry--“If I Die Young”

#176: Conway Twitty--“Linda On My Mind”

#175: Pam Tillis--“Maybe it Was Memphis”

#174: Kenny Chesney--“I Go Back”

#173: Johnny Cash--“(Ghost) Riders in the Sky”

#172: Ronnie Milsap--“I Wouldn’t Have Missed it For the World”

#171: Ferlin Husky--“Wings of a Dove”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/16/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-180-171/

• Love 5

Our next number one country song of the 90's is one of the most iconic. I'll probably be saying that a lot for awhile here, but this is one of the more notable examples.

24. Garth Brooks--"The Dance"

#1 on Billboard for three weeks from June 14th, 1990-June 28th, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records for three weeks from June 22nd, 1990-July 6th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/17/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-garth-brooks-the-dance/

• Love 1
On 6/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, UYI said:

Taking a brief break from the 90's #1 list to go back to the next ten entries from the Sirius XM list (which, in one judge's opinion, ranks the best country song of the 90's FAR too low--but I'll let y'all be the judge of that).

Speaking of which, not to toot our own horn too much, but WE GOT A SHOUTOUT! :D

That's cool.  A forum for long-winded snark about television is probably not where the CU writers expected to find an audience for their splendid analysis of this ridiculous list, but I'm glad our appreciation wound up on their radar.

While it would take me a long time to decide what I think the greatest single of the '90s is, it takes me but a second to determine "Maybe it Was Memphis" should be ranked a good deal higher than #175.  A power pop ballad with southern lyrics belted out by the daughter of country royalty is a recording that found the perfect combination of artist and song at the perfect time.  This is another ranking that shows the lack of context in the Sirius folks' understanding of country music, especially when it comes to female artists.

Also: "I Wouldn't Have Missed it For the World" is ranked too high, but I'm not mad that it's now stuck in my head; Ronnie Milsap songs put me in a good mood (and I needed that after Pam Tillis joined the ranks of undervalued women).

• Love 3
(edited)

So cool about the shoutout.  As mentioned before, relatively new to country music so listening to Maybe It Was Memphis as I type this (though as it turns out I have heard it many times before) and loving it, but in no position to comment on where it should be in the list of Top 1000.

I have always like Conway Twitty but something about Linda On My Mind has always pissed me off.  I guess it's the whole, 'hey, just because I decided to have an affair, cut me some slack because I feel bad about dumping you' vibe.

I love most Ronnie Milsap with the title song from that album, There's No Getting Over Me, probably my favourite.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, bankerchick said:

So cool about the shoutout.  As mentioned before, relatively new to country music so listening to Maybe It Was Memphis as I type this (though as it turns out I have heard it many times before) and loving it, but in no position to comment on where it should be in the list of Top 1000.

I have always like Conway Twitty but something about Linda On My Mind has always pissed me off.  I guess it's the whole, 'hey, just because I decided to have an affair, cut me some slack because I feel bad about dumping you' vibe.

I love most Ronnie Milsap with the title song from that album, There's No Getting Over Me, probably my favourite.

Most cheating songs piss me off. And this one? **rage** Especially the whole 'You're married to my friend so I didn't say anything until now because I love you soooooo much.'

Some friend. 

Also, my Mom's name is Linda and she would never do that so I'm ticked off on more than one principle.

Fuck you, Linda. And fuck you, Conway-voiced narrator, I hope she dumps you for your best friend in a month.

• LOL 2

And now that I've posted that, here's the next ten entries on the Sirius list:

#170: Zac Brown Band--“Toes”

#169: Johnny Horton--“North to Alaska”

#168: Jo Dee Messina--“Heads Carolina, Tails California”

#167: Kenny Rogers--“Lucille”

#166: Chris Cagle--“What Kinda Gone”

#165: John Michael Montgomery--“I Swear”

#164: Loretta Lynn--“Don’t Come Home a Drinkin’ (With Lovin’ On Your Mind)”

#163: Alan Jackson--“Chattahoochee”

#162: Willie Nelson--“If You’ve Got the Money I’ve Got the Time”

#161: Thompson Square--“Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/19/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-170-161/

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#170: Zac Brown Band--“Toes”

Number 170 of all time?  I've never even heard this song.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#168: Jo Dee Messina--“Heads Carolina, Tails California”

I really like this song, but agree with all three CU writers that it's ranked too high.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#167: Kenny Rogers--“Lucille”

And that this is ranked too low.  It's his best song!

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#164: Loretta Lynn--“Don’t Come Home a Drinkin’ (With Lovin’ On Your Mind)”

I fucking love this song.  Those lyrics!  That a woman in country music said this in 1967 and went to number one deserves a higher placement on the list.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#161: Thompson Square--“Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”

I don't know this one, either. 

• Love 2

Kenny Rogers reminds me of my late Dad, and now the young guy who works at my Mom's long-term care home who mentioned that he liked Kenny because it reminded him of his grandfather, but I'll always sing this song as, 'you picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel.'

Chattahoochee is on the radio right now, and as Alan Jackson goes, it's pretty good.

I have never been a fan of Loretta Lynn or her feisty, wronged, overworked, always pregnant, challenging her husband's girlfriends persona.  I like the story of Coal Miner's Daughter, but don't care for her singing of it.  I recognize that this might be considered country music heresy, but there it is.

1 minute ago, bankerchick said:

I have never been a fan of Loretta Lynn or her feisty, wronged, overworked, always pregnant, challenging her husband's girlfriends persona. 

I'm not disregarding your opinion, just clarifying it wasn't a persona, it was her actual life.  A total hillbilly shit show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't know this one, either. 

It came out in 2011; it's by the husband and wife team of Kiefer & Shawna Thompson. I personally like it, but it obviously is ranked too high. (Incidentally, I've kept quiet about a lot of songs here that are more recent for my own protection, lol.)

Here it is:

Also: I'm not super familiar with everything the Zac Brown Band has done, but "Colder Weather" is great. I think it's already been on the list, too.

4 minutes ago, UYI said:

It came out in 2011; it's by the husband and wife team of Kiefer & Shawna Thompson. I personally like it, but it obviously is ranked too high.

Oh my, yes - it's fine, but ranked a good 800 slots too high.

Alright, more of the Sirius XM list now. Let's do this.

#160: Garth Brooks--“Rodeo”

#159: Marty Robbins--“Big Iron”

#158: George Strait--“Ocean Front Property”

#157: Tanya Tucker--“Delta Dawn”

#156: Ronnie Milsap--“Daydreams About Night Things”

#155: Sugarland--“Stay”

#154: Eddy Arnold--“Make the World Go Away”

#153: Juice Newton--“Queen of Hearts”

#152: Darius Rucker--“It Won’t Be This Way For Long”

#151: Buck Owens--“Act Naturally”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/23/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-160-151/

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#157: Tanya Tucker--“Delta Dawn”

I have no words that can properly express how gross this ranking is.  Just post this list in the Misogynist Hall of Fame and be done with it.

• Love 3
(edited)

The next number one 90's country song, is THE number one 90's country song, as far as being iconic goes, not necessarily in terms of being the "best", but definitely the one that can be perceived as truly setting off the unprecedented commercial boom the country music genre would have during that decade. Come on, y'all know what it is.

(For better or worse; I personally like Mark Chesnutt's version just as much, if not more; it appears as an album track on his debut album, Too Cold for Home, which, like No Fences, the album the more famous version appears on, was also released in 1990.)

33. Garth Brooks--"Friends in Low Places"

#1 on Billboard for four weeks from October 6th, 1990-October 27th, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records for three weeks from September 21st, 1990-October 5th, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/26/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-garth-brooks-friends-in-low-places/

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

It was mentioned when the previous number one was posted that Joe Diffie was one of seven country chart-toppers in 1990 to have passed away, with one of them, Keith Whitley, getting his posthumously from the jump. Sadly, our next number one is also courtesy of an artist who left us too soon, dying of ovarian cancer on November 16th, 2016, at the too young age of 59. She had her greatest success in country in the late 80's, and one of her hits, "There Goes My Heart Again", was actually co-written by Joe Diffie, and featured his background vocals, giving him the attention he needed to become a professional singer as well as a professional songwriter. This song, however, would be her final number one country hit.

36. Holly Dunn--"You Really Had Me Going"

#1 on Billboard the week of November 17th, 1990.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of November 2nd, 1990.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/06/29/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-holly-dunn-you-really-had-me-going/