Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music, Y'all!

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

So that song is a least in part about Adrian Pasdar (Natalie Maine's ex) right?

That's the general consensus, yes. 

This was posted almost a week ago, and with everything going on I hadn't checked in on it until just now, but here's the next list of entries:

#660: Faith Hill--“It Matters to Me”

#659: Phil Vassar--“Just Another Day in Paradise”

#658: Chris Young--“Tomorrow”

#657: George Jones & Tammy Wynette--“We’re Gonna Hold On”

#656: Blake Shelton with Pistol Annies and Friends--“Boys ‘Round Here”

#655: Dwight Yoakam--“Fast as You”

#654: Randy Houser--“Boots On”

#653: Merle Haggard and the Strangers--“Sing Me Back Home”

#652: Blake Shelton--“Sure Be Cool if You Did”

#651: Tim McGraw--“Everywhere”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/03/14/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-660-651/

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, UYI said:

#660: Faith Hill--“It Matters to Me”

Probably my favorite of her songs.

49 minutes ago, UYI said:

#657: George Jones & Tammy Wynette--“We’re Gonna Hold On”

I simultaneously agree with both CU commentaries.  Number 657 of all time is about right, because:

This has never been one of my favorite George & Tammy songs, but it’s certainly one of their most significant.

But, on this list, it's too low, because:

Would you just look at what they ranked ahead of this.

53 minutes ago, UYI said:

#655: Dwight Yoakam--“Fast as You”

Too low.

53 minutes ago, UYI said:

#653: Merle Haggard and the Strangers--“Sing Me Back Home”

Too.fucking.low.

• Love 3

I've been listening to Dolly Parton lately, and had this thought the other day: I know the song is from the point of view of the wronged woman, but what if Jolene really loves the guy she's being begged not to take away?  What if she can have any man, but he's the only one she's ever wanted?

Yeah, I've had a little too much time to think about this.

• Love 2

Interesting thought!  I never knew the song until I saw the Country Music documentary a couple of months ago, so ignorant newbie here, but it made me wonder if anyone ever wrote a response song from Jolene's point of view.  However you're much nicer than me.  My version would be something like, "Honey, I Don't Want Him (And You Shouldn't Either)."  😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

My favorite thing about "Jolene" is something bringing that song to Dolly Parton's mind several years ago, then her looking over at her husband snoring in the recliner, and thinking, "I wonder if she'd still want him now."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

Interesting thought!  I never knew the song until I saw the Country Music documentary a couple of months ago, so ignorant newbie here, but it made me wonder if anyone ever wrote a response song from Jolene's point of view.  However you're much nicer than me.  My version would be something like, "Honey, I Don't Want Him (And You Shouldn't Either)."  😄

The Cam song "Diane" is from the point of view of a "Jolene". 🙂

And yes, I am totally using this time to promote Cam, who is wonderful and may finally have her second album coming out later this year.

She got some attention in 2015 for her song "Burning House" (featured on her debut album Untamed), and her current single is "Till There's Nothing Left".

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 3/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, UYI said:

The Cam song "Diane" is from the point of view of a "Jolene". 🙂

And yes, I am totally using this time to promote Cam, who is wonderful and may finally have her second album coming out later this year.

She got some attention in 2015 for her song "Burning House" (featured on her debut album Untamed), and her current single is "Till There's Nothing Left".

I really liked that - thanks for posting it.  I'll have to check out more of her stuff.

• Love 3

This almost feels too ridiculous to even post tonight after all the losses country music has suffered these last few weeks (RIP Kenny Rogers, Jan Howard, Joe Diffie, and John Prine!), but here we go: the list goes on.

#640: Chris Young-- “Who I am With You”

#639: Garth Brooks--“Somewhere Other Than the Night”

#638: Kid Rock--“All Summer Long”

#637: Merle Haggard and the Strangers--“Branded Man”

#636: Alan Jackson--“I Don’t Even Know Your Name”

#635: Florida Georgia Line--“Get Your Shine On”

#634: Brett Eldredge--“Beat of the Music”

#633: Billy Dean--“We Just Disagree”

#632: George Jones--“Still Doin’ Time”

#631: Billy Currington--“That’s How Country Boys Roll”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/04/06/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-640-631/

• Love 1

Wow, the only song I know from those ten is "Still Doin' Time" (and I frakkin' love that song).  (Well, I know the song "We Just Disagree", but only the original, not this recording.) 

But I don't need to know the specific song to love this from the CU commentary:

Two of the four horsemen signaling the country music apocalypse:  country radio banning the Dixie Chicks, and then later embracing Florida Georgia Line. “Slide that little sugar shaker over here.”  Jesus wept. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

We seem to have skipped over #650-641:

650:  Big & Rich, “Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)”
649:  Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, “Reuben James”
648:  The Judds, “Mama He’s Crazy”
647:  Billy Currington, “Pretty Good at Drinkin’ Beer”
646:  Toby Keith & Willie Nelson, “Beer For My Horses”
645:  Steve Wariner, “Holes in the Floor of Heaven”
644:  George Jones, “The Grand Tour”
643:  George Strait, “Troubadour”
642:  Gary Stewart, “Drinkin’ Thing”
641:  Shania Twain, “That Don’t Impress Me Much”

Here's the CU commentary for that segment.

I unabashedly love "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" despite not knowing much else from the band and not being into the little I have heard.  I have a particular soft spot for that song because during its heyday I was gathering items for a silent auction, and called upon my very old record label contacts to, among many other things, get a CD with autographed liner, autographed concert t-shirt, and another item or two I'm forgetting from Big & Rich for one of our low-value items and someone at the event went nuts for it.  But, even without that, I think it's fun.

"Mama, He's Crazy" is appropriately ranked on an actual Top 1000 list, but too low on this pile of shit.

"Holes in the Floor of Heaven" is unbearable on any list.

"The Grand Tour" is made of win, as is "That Don't Impress Me Much" - the former's lyrics are more timeless, but the sentiment of both is; they're both very easy to listen to.

I'm going to try to remember not to skip anymore parts of the list going forward! Here we go:

#630: Doug Stone--“In a Different Light”

#629: Rascal Flatts--“Fast Cars and Freedom”

#628: Barbara Mandrell--“Sleeping Single in a Double Bed”

#627: Johnny Paycheck--“Slide Off of Your Satin Sheets”

#626: Brad Paisley--“Then”

#625: Reba McEntire--“Is There Life Out There”

#624: Lee Brice--“Hard to Love”

#623: George Strait--“I Can Still Make Cheyenne”

#622: Marty Robbins--“My Woman, My Woman, My Wife”

#621: Steve Azar--“I Don’t Have to Be Me (‘Til Monday)”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/04/09/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-630-621/

Another group of ten consisting mostly of songs I don't know.

12 minutes ago, UYI said:

#628: Barbara Mandrell--“Sleeping Single in a Double Bed”

I'm not really a fan of her songs (other than "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool"), but I do kind of like this one.

13 minutes ago, UYI said:

#625: Reba McEntire--“Is There Life Out There”

Too low.  This resonated with so many women of that time they made a TV movie out of it.  (In which Huey Lewis was slated to reprise the role of the husband [which he played in the music video] but was recast with Keith Carradine.)  The movie wasn't any good, but the song is.

16 minutes ago, UYI said:

#623: George Strait--“I Can Still Make Cheyenne”

I like a lot of his songs, but not this one.  I don't dislike it, but I wouldn't have ranked it; I find it unmemorable. 

Did anyone watch the new A&E Biography of Dolly Parton that premiered tonight?  I really liked it.  While also giving propers to her talent and impact as a songwriter, singer, and entertainer, it did maybe the best job I've ever seen in all the things I've watched about her in highlighting what an incredibly shrewd businesswoman she is - and was from jump; the sense of self she had as an 18-year-old country girl in the big city (Nashville) never ceases to amaze me.  (And I say that as one who hates the over-use of amaze/amazing.  She's earned it.)

Good interviews, especially with the woman herself, Jane Fonda, and Linda Perry.  And honest talk about the dark years of her career, and how she - who'd always wanted to be a star and known from age 10 she would be - made herself relevant again.  And always showing how she remained true to herself despite deliberately crafting, and changing, a public persona.  I recommend it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I had other Easter things going on that night; otherwise I would have watched both it and her 50 Years at the Opry special (I did see a small part of the latter, though). I'll have to look up when it's on again.

More entries!

#620: Kitty Wells--“It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels”

#619: Mark Chesnutt--“I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”

#618: Rascal Flatts--“Prayin’ For Daylight”

#617: Lee Ann Womack featuring Sons of the Desert--“I Hope You Dance”

#616: Clint Black and Lisa Hartman Black--“When I Said I Do”

#615: Dierks Bentley--“5-1-5-0”

#614: Waylon Jennings--“This Time”

#613: Jason Aldean--“The Truth”

#612: Mark Wills--“I Do (Cherish You)”

#611: Miranda Lambert--“Gunpowder & Lead”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/04/16/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-620-611/

Good grief, that's another crappy group of ten.  And the few I actually know and like, I think should all be ranked higher:

5 hours ago, UYI said:

Come the fuck on.  I'm not even a big Kitty Wells fan, but given her place within country music history and this song's legendary status, it would easily be in the top 100 on my own list, and these morons put it at #620?!

5 hours ago, UYI said:

#617: Lee Ann Womack featuring Sons of the Desert--“I Hope You Dance”

If you just sent me the lyrics for this song, I'd roll my eyes and say I hope the finished product is better.  And, boy howdy, is it.  It's still schmaltzy enough not to be top 300, but in the 600s?!

5 hours ago, UYI said:

#611: Miranda Lambert--“Gunpowder & Lead”

The latest Lilith Fair was exhilarating yet disappointing compared to all those before, but audience reaction to this song - a clear mix of those who already loved it and those who'd never heard it but got caught up in the story (which reminded me of the 1999 Fair when the audience slowly and steadily went fucking wild for "Goodbye, Earl" from The Dixie Chicks) - was a highlight.  To inspire that kind of reaction and have more than 600 songs ahead of you is wrong.  This is another one that should be in the 300s.

Any Sara Evans fans here? She is releasing her autobiography, Born to Fly (named, of course, after her third album and signature song of the same name--this year is their 20th anniversary!) later this year on September 8th. I'm especially curious how much detail she'll go into about her divorce from her first husband in 2006, given how messy and public it was and how it essentially stalled the huge momentum her career had by that point. She took a long hiatus before her 2011 album Stronger came out, and despite including the number one comeback hit "A Little Bit Stronger" (which was originally reported to be the name of the memoir--and I almost like that name better tbh, although BTF works too and is obviously what she's best known for), she never regained her late 90's-earl to mid 2000's success. 

She is also releasing a covers album called Copy That, which is out on May 15th. These three songs have been shared so far (the first one is the lead single)

There's a music forum I frequent a lot (although I've never posted there, not yet anyway), and in the country section there's a VERY dedicated little group of hardcore Sara Evans superfans, and they're all very excited and happy about all of this, especially "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", which she's covered in concert before over the years. 🙂  

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 1

Oh my.  I hung in for about a minute of "If I Can't Have You" before I had to make it stop.  That was ... not good.  Nor is the original (despite which I kind of like it in an odd way), but hers was just awkwardly bad.

Her "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" cover plays pretty anemic to me.  If this was all I had to go on - meaning I'd never heard her cover of "My Heart Can't Tell You No", which I quite like - I'd think she should stay away from pop songs.

Her cover of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" of course has nothing on the original, but I enjoyed it.

I don't know anything about Sara Evans beyond some of her singles, but I like several of them, especially "Suds in the Bucket" and "Cheatin'".

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:34 AM, Bastet said:

Good grief, that's another crappy group of ten.  And the few I actually know and like, I think should all be ranked higher:

On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:50 PM, UYI said:

Come the fuck on.  I'm not even a big Kitty Wells fan, but given her place within country music history and this song's legendary status, it would easily be in the top 100 on my own list, and these morons put it at #620?!

This low a ranking is a travesty, an absolute travesty.

• Love 2

Chiming in late to this discussion (VERY late), but I would like to comment on the individual songs, even though I'm not well educated about country music...

#987: Conway Twitty--"I'd Just Love to Lay You Down"

One of my favorite songs, of his.  Actually, one of the first Conway Twitty songs I ever heard.  I remember being surprised at how sexy it was.

#975: Martina McBride--“This One’s For the Girls”

I never liked this one.  I know a lot of people who love it, but I always thought it was hokey.

#968: Taylor Swift--"Mine"

One of the few Taylor Swift songs I can tolerate.  They overplayed the shit out of it when it was released, though.

#933: Brad Paisley--“I’m Still a Guy”

LOATHE this song.  Hate it, with a fiery passion. 

#923: Wynonna--“Tell Me Why”

Great song.  Love her.

#878: Dolly Parton & Vince Gill--“I Will Always Love You”

Well, this is a classic.  Never heard the version with Vince Gill, though.  Shouldn't this be much higher, on the list?

#863: Dixie Chicks--"You Were Mine"

Back when this album was released, I was a wannabe jaded high school kid who listened to classic rock, and thought country music was lame.  This was the first country song I heard that made me realize that I did like the genre.  So, it will always have a special place in my heart.

#840: Uncle Kracker--"Smile"

I mean, I like this song- I do- but is it really country?  I only heard it on the pop stations, when it came out.  Whatever.

#814: Jessi Colter--“I’m Not Lisa”

Another good one.  Makes me teary-eyed, every time.

#792: Taylor Swift--“Love Story”

Go away, little girl.

That's all, for now.  I'll add more, later.  I know my opinions aren't that interesting, but this is fun. 🙂

• Love 1

This list... is an atrocity.

They've got Lovesick Blues in the 700s and It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels in the 600s and, somehow, Kid Rock is on this list? For a Lynyrd Skynyrd rip off?! Not to mention the sheer volume of cap wearing assembly line dudes who all look and sound the same. It feels like every now and then they throw in a legit choice that comes off as shocking based on how they've put this monstrosity together... but I swear to God it feels more and more like they just threw darts at a lot of these and went 'yeah, that makes sense...'

The conversation about the rankings, however, remains stellar. They are SAVAGE. And rightly so.

• Love 1

I genuinely would not blame them for finally putting themselves of their misery and pulling the plug on commentating on that list at some point; having to talk about a thousand songs, on a list that is so WEIRD in how so many of them are ranked, and when you consider what was left off? At least they space it in between articles and lists that they've created themselves! (For example, this week they began their own list of the best country singles of the previous decade...and given that it's THEIR list, I have MUCH more faith in their choices.) 

Nonetheless, I'm here to share it for as long as they continue it. 🙂 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

The list continues, as we move to the end of the 600s.

#610: George Jones--“Tennessee Whiskey”

#609: Garth Brooks--“Callin’ Baton Rouge”

#608: Easton Corbin--“Roll With It”

#607: Mary Chapin Carpenter--“I Feel Lucky”

#606: Zac Brown Band--“Free”

#605: David Allan Coe--“The Ride”

#604: Little Texas--“Kick a Little”

#603: Carrie Underwood--“Last Name”

#602: Brooks & Dunn--“Boot Scootin’ Boogie”

#601: Brett Eldredge--“Mean to Me”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/04/29/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-610-601/

• Love 1

Another group of ten consisting largely of songs I don't know.

3 hours ago, UYI said:

I was mighty puzzled by this entry, as I love George but this song shouldn't even be on the list, until I read the CU commentary and realized someone else had covered it, bringing it to the Sirius dudebros' attention, and they thought they'd make their list look a little more well-rounded by putting the original on here. 

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#607: Mary Chapin Carpenter--“I Feel Lucky”

I think this placement is about right, but reading that this is only one of two MCC entries on the list has me all kinds of irritated. 

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#602: Brooks & Dunn--“Boot Scootin’ Boogie”

Ugh - I don't hate this song, but I only know the chorus, and now that is stuck in my head!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Another group of ten consisting largely of songs I don't know.

6 hours ago, UYI said:

I was mighty puzzled by this entry, as I love George but this song shouldn't even be on the list, until I read the CU commentary and realized someone else had covered it, bringing it to the Sirius dudebros' attention, and they thought they'd make their list look a little more well-rounded by putting the original on here. 

Awww, I love that song.

• Love 1
Just now, proserpina65 said:

Awww, I love that song.

Oh, I like it, but this purports to be an "of all time" list, and I wouldn't rank it among the top 1000 of all the country songs ever sung over the last 100 years, and definitely not in the top 600.  So it really puzzled me seeing it there on this list, given the history of its contents so far; I wouldn't have thought they'd even know the song, let alone rank it that high.  The CU commentary made the light bulb go on over my head (I didn't know it had been covered semi-recently):

JK: Real talk: I don’t believe for a second that they would’ve remembered to include this if not for the ongoing success of Chris Stapleton’s cover version. Still, I’m glad it’s here. Too High

KJC:  Kudos to Stapleton for reviving interest in this George Jones hit.  I agree that its significance is overstated by this ranking.  Too High

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, I like it, but this purports to be an "of all time" list, and I wouldn't rank it among the top 1000 of all the country songs ever sung over the last 100 years, and definitely not in the top 600.  So it really puzzled me seeing it there on this list, given the history of its contents so far; I wouldn't have thought they'd even know the song, let alone rank it that high.  The CU commentary made the light bulb go on over my head (I didn't know it had been covered semi-recently):

If so many of the other rankings weren't completely f-d up, I might agree with you about it being placed too high, but given how much crap is on this list, and a lot of it much higher than truly great songs, I'm fine with it being in the 600s.

Yeah, I'm struggling a little - and I suspect they are as well - to judge the rankings the same way the CU folks are doing, because this list is so wack that something 100 spots off looks completely normal in comparison to the thoroughly bizarre entries.

(edited)

For those of you who haven't heard Chris Stapleton, I highly recommend you do. His version of "Tennessee Whiskey" is AMAZING. The album it's off of, Traveler, was actually the best selling country album of the 2010s. Just an amazing voice. He caused some award show fatigue after awhile, as it seemed like he was the only one winning certain awards for a stretch of time, but he IS great. 

"He Thinks He'll Keep Her" should have definitely been on the list, I agree. And possible UO: I actually prefer MCC's version of "Passionate Kisses" to the original by Lucinda Williams. It feels weird to say that, given that I grew up hearing the Car Wheels in a Gravel Road album in my dad's car more times than I can count (her other albums too, but that one most of all), and I still like her version a lot, but MCC's is a better fit for my alto singing voice. 🙂

Also: Sara Evans has dropped the final promo track from her covers album, Copy That, which is released on May 15th: "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'", which features Phillip Sweet of Little Big Town. Side note: God, she's gorgeous. ❤️ 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Had no idea 'til a few years back that Sara Evans recorded Rod Stewart's "My Heart Can't Tell You No", which is, I guess, also essentially a cover.  🙂 Not gonna lie: I still prefer Rod's original version, but Sara did do a great job with the song.

Rod Stewart's original version from 1988:

Sara Evans' version from 2011:

(edited)
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Had no idea 'til a few years back that Sara Evans covered Rod Stewart's "My Heart Can't Tell You No", which is, I guess, also essentially a cover.  🙂 Not gonna lie: I still prefer Rod's original version, but Sara did do a great job with the song.

Yes!  I've liked both versions from the moment each came out; I love that song. 

What has been posted thus far of Sara Evans' recent cover album is not at all up my alley, so if I just went on those songs I'd say she should never cover pop music.  But - as much as I love Rod Stewart's version - I so love her cover of "My Heart Can't Tell You No" it keeps me from such a declaration. 

It's an anomaly so far, though, because, holy shit, the rest sucks - "Whenever I Call You Friend" is another "bleh" cover of hers, IMO.  I think part of it is she's picking crappy pop songs for this cover album, but she's certainly not elevating them. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's an anomaly so far, though, because, holy shit, the rest sucks - "Whenever I Call You Friend" is another "bleh" cover of hers,

To be fair, I think this song sucks no matter who sings it, be it Stevie Nicks/Kenny Loggins or Sara Evans/Her singing partner. Never did like that song.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

To be fair, I think this song sucks no matter who sings it,

Yeah, that's what I said about this album as revealed (in this thread) so far - she's picking crappy pop songs to begin with, and not doing anything to elevate them.

Thus my earlier, and reiterated after this latest posted offering, statement that if it wasn't for her "My Heart Can't Tell You No" cover, which I quite like (no coincidence that a better original yielded a better cover, but still - it's good), I'd think she should just stay away from pop songs altogether - because these recently-released covers of pop songs are pretty bad.

• Love 1

It should be noted that one of her most successful singles (from her third album Born to Fly) is a cover of the Edwin McCain song, "I Could Not Ask for More."

• Love 1
5 hours ago, UYI said:

It should be noted that one of her most successful singles (from her third album Born to Fly) is a cover of the Edwin McCain song, "I Could Not Ask for More."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that song!  Another good one.

• Love 2

These next ten entries take us into the 500's:

#600: Mickey Gilley--“Stand By Me”

#599: Kenny Chesney--“Anything But Mine”

#598: Charley Pride--“Crystal Chandelier”

#597: Billy Currington--“Don’t”

#596: Alabama--“Forty Hour Week (For a Livin’)”

#595: Brad Paisley--“Little Moments”

#594: Ronnie Milsap--“(There’s) No Gettin’ Over Me”

#593: Roy Clark--“Yesterday, When I Was Young”

#592: Tim McGraw--“The Cowboy in Me”

#591: Garth Brooks--“The River”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/05/14/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-600-591/

17 minutes ago, UYI said:

#600: Mickey Gilley--“Stand By Me”

Nice voice, but I'm not a fan (and let me offer up an FU for "Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time").  I agree with the CU writers that if you're going to put him on the list, this inferior cover isn't the song to do it with.

26 minutes ago, UYI said:

#598: Charley Pride--“Crystal Chandelier”

This is another pick - which the list has been randomly littered with - that smacks to me of the Sirius dudebros throwing a dart at the listing some intern put together of "old-school artists we know nothing about" and then picking a random song from the artist the dart lands on in an effort to look knowledgeable about the genre's history.  And I heartily endorse the CU writer's suggestion that "You're So Good When You're Bad" take its place.  I love that song, and it was used wonderfully in an episode of Designing Women, which I recently re-watched.

29 minutes ago, UYI said:

#596: Alabama--“Forty Hour Week (For a Livin’)”

I enjoy the argument between the two CU writers over this one, and agree with the one who likes it.

He's also on the "so wrong" side of a disagreement about Brad Paisley's "Little Moments", a song I had to look up, and I'm with him there, too -- "everything I don't like about Paisley in one record" indeed.

33 minutes ago, UYI said:

#594: Ronnie Milsap--“(There’s) No Gettin’ Over Me”

I love me some Ronnie Milsap, and I like this song.  But I agree with both CU folks that it's ranked too high (even on this craptastic list).

41 minutes ago, UYI said:

I love the lyrics, and like the song well enough, but I'm not sure I agree with both CU writers that it's ranked too low.

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:20 AM, Bastet said:
On ‎05‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:33 AM, UYI said:

I love the lyrics, and like the song well enough, but I'm not sure I agree with both CU writers that it's ranked too low.

For me, this is one of those "on a different list, the ranking is a little low but not outrageously bad, but on this craptastic one, it's way too low".  I mean, it's no Thank God and Greyhound, but it's still pretty damned good.

• Love 2

Another, another ten entries from the Sirius XM list. 

#590: George Jones--“The One I Loved Back Then (The Corvette Song)”

#589: Carrie Underwood--“Don’t Forget to Remember Me”

#588: George Strait--“Fool Hearted Memory”

#587: Ray Charles with Willie Nelson--“Seven Spanish Angels”

#586: Easton Corbin--“All Over the Road”

#585: Brooks & Dunn--“Lost and Found”

#584: Rascal Flatts--“Life is a Highway”

#583: Travis Tritt--“Here’s a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)”

#582: Brennen Leigh--“Saginaw, Michigan”

#581: LeAnn Rimes--“I Need You”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/05/23/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-590-581/

• Love 1

I agree with the CU analysis across the board for these ten entries - most of them are so wrong, "The One I Loved Back Then" is too high, and "Here's a Quarter" is at least a little too low.  And I don't even particularly like that last one, or Travis Tritt's music in general.

I love "Seven Spanish Angels" and am glad that's ranked where it is.

4 minutes ago, UYI said:

#584: Rascal Flatts--“Life is a Highway”

Oh, hell no.  The original is one of my favorite jams, so I'm predisposed to disliking covers of it, but I just went and listened to this one and - no.  I love calling it a Kids Bop cover.

• Love 2
On 5/24/2020 at 12:48 AM, Bastet said:

Oh, hell no.  The original ["Life Is A Highway" is one of my favorite jams, so I'm predisposed to disliking covers of it, but I just went and listened to this one and - no.  I love calling it a Kids Bop cover.

Oh, good. Glad I'm not alone here. I liked Tom Cochrane's original take. The cover never worked for me. Tomato, tomahto.

• Love 1

To quote the writers of CU, here are the next ten entries "of this purgatory of a list"--and another one of their writers joins the party, too!

#580: Vince Gill--“Don’t Let Our Love Start Slippin’ Away”

#579: Jason Aldean--“Take a Little Ride”

#578: Conway Twitty--“There’s a Honky Tonk Angel (Who’ll Take Me Back In)”

#577: Joe Diffie--“Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)”

#576: Johnny Cash--“Man in Black”

#575: Kenny Chesney with Grace Potter--“You and Tequila”

#574: Alan Jackson--“It Must Be Love”

#573: Jake Owen--“Anywhere With You”

#572: Waylon Jennings--“The Wurlitzer Prize (I Don’t Want to Get Over You)”

#571: Tracy Byrd--“I’m From the Country”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/05/26/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-580-571/

• Love 1

Bleh; another ten I mostly don't know and a couple I don't care about.

15 hours ago, UYI said:

#577: Joe Diffie--“Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)”

I don't personally care for this song (or Joe Diffie in general other than "Bigger Than the Beatles" which I flat-out love), but I think it's the one of two songs of these ten appropriately ranked.

15 hours ago, UYI said:

#576: Johnny Cash--“Man in Black”

This is the other.  My instinctive reaction is "too low" and, for this shit burger of a list it is, but on an actual Top 1000 of All Time list - which is what CU sets out to analyze - it's about right.

Welcome to the new CU commentator with his reaction to the latest of the nearly 20 Jason Aldean entries on the list (seriously, let that sink in again in case I haven't emphasized it enough since finding out-- that dipshit has SEVENTEEN songs on the list):

Is this the song where they ride on a tractor? I only ask since these sort of songs make up, you know, like, over half of his discography.

But, come on now, CU - how about a female voice in this discussion?

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But, come on now, CU - how about a female voice in this discussion?

I'm hoping one of their other writers, Leeann Ward, is included soon.  

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Another addition to the list:

#570: Little Big Town--“Boondocks”

#569: Merle Haggard and the Strangers--“Swinging Doors”

#568: George Strait--“Carried Away”

#567: Scotty McCreery--“See You Tonight”

#566: Reba McEntire & Linda Davis, “Does He Love You”

#565: Kenny Chesney--“Out Last Night”

#564: Dwight Yoakam--“Honky Tonk Man”

#563: Wynn Stewart--“It’s Such a Pretty World Today”

#562: Jason Aldean--“Night Train”

#561:  Sonny James--“Running Bear”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/06/06/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-570-561/

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

#562: Jason Aldean--“Night Train”

Oh my, the commentary on this one is everything:

JK: Imagine believing Jason Aldean was this fucking important of an artist in the history of country music. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

KJC:  Why is every song this guy sings about going out into the country and getting it on?  Does he not own a bed? So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

ZK: It’s a train song, but Jimmie Rodgers wept anyway. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

• Love 2