Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Yasmine & Lewis

When Sandra learns that her granddaughter, Yasmine, sent money to a mysterious online boyfriend, she asks Nev and Max for help. As the guys look into the case, they discover there's much more that Yasmine has been hiding.

Thank you Nev for asking Keerah how she identified, because until she said “as a girl” in a surprised tone of voice, I thought she was a guy.

• Love 8

GaT, I totally thought Keerah was male, too, and was confused when Max or Nev asked Keerah what gender she considered herself. When she said "female" I was surprised. I appreciate the fact that this show is revealing some trans-related themes and making them more mainstream, but I worry about the ramifications for the trans participants in their hometowns and with their families.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

GaT, I totally thought Keerah was male, too, and was confused when Max or Nev asked Keerah what gender she considered herself. When she said "female" I was surprised. I appreciate the fact that this show is revealing some trans-related themes and making them more mainstream, but I worry about the ramifications for the trans participants in their hometowns and with their families.

Was she trans? I didn't even consider that, I just thought she was just a masculine looking female. In my experience, trans people present themselves more as the gender they feel like they are, she didn't strike me as trans at all.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

One thing that bothers me about the show: why do all of the catfishers dress in the most unflattering way possible? Both  "Blue" (Keerah), "Rosa" (Jose) looked like they just woke up and stuffed themselves in the crummiest clothes possible. Does the production company tell them to do that? If I were going to be on TV, I'd be in my Sunday Best. Or at least, business casual.

I get they want to ramp up the drama, but it seems exploitative to me in a "look at these losers" way. I think the horror music theme they play during the reveal is more than enough!

• Love 5

While Keerah was a more masculine looking female, I could tell she was female.  Yes, she was a bit rounder in the tummy, but her breasts were still visible under her shirt.  I think she was offended when Nev had to ask her what she identified as.  

She struck me as a bit predatory, so I was surprised Yasmine was hugging her and crying on her and everything at the end.  I was just a bit skeeved out by the intensity that Keerah was staring at her at the picnic table.  I think Yasmine was too busy looking at the table that she didn't see the holes Keerah was burning through her. 

It always surprises me when the catfishee stays in contact with the catfisher. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GenL said:

While Keerah was a more masculine looking female, I could tell she was female.  Yes, she was a bit rounder in the tummy, but her breasts were still visible under her shirt.  I think she was offended when Nev had to ask her what she identified as.

Nev was trying to be politically correct. She was identifying herself as male online, and had adopted a masculine look IRL. Some men do have breasts like that (it can be a side-effect of some drugs, including marijuana), and feminine facial features, so it wasn't out of the question that she was also genetically male.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Nev was trying to be politically correct. She was identifying herself as male online, and had adopted a masculine look IRL. Some men do have breasts like that (it can be a side-effect of some drugs, including marijuana), and feminine facial features, so it wasn't out of the question that she was also genetically male.

True.  It was so quick, that I didn't really have a lot of time to think much about it.  She came out, I saw that she was female, they walked out and Nev asked how she identified and she said she was a woman.

I only read the recaps of this show, I've stopped watching it, so just to be clear, Yasmin did not get a tattoo of Louis's name, correct? That would be a new low on this show.

That bit did remind me of some lyrics from an old Suede song She's Not Dead (the London Suede in the US, for legal reasons):

"she'll come to her end locked in a car somewhere with exhaust in her hair
What's she called? I dunno, she's fucking with a slip of a man while the engine ran (chorus, "she's not dead...")
In the car he couldn't afford they found his made up name on her ankle chain"

So, yeah, if you haven't met someone you're "dating" on the internet, get their "name" on an inexpensive piece of jewelry. Later on, you can throw the jewelry into a lake when you find out you've been catfished.

Suede also had this lyric,"She walks in beauty like the night, discarding her clothes in the plastic flowers..."

Is it just me, or is everyone else pretending to be several different people on the internet? 

12 hours ago, GenL said:

She struck me as a bit predatory, so I was surprised Yasmine was hugging her and crying on her and everything at the end.  I was just a bit skeeved out by the intensity that Keerah was staring at her at the picnic table.  I think Yasmine was too busy looking at the table that she didn't see the holes Keerah was burning through her. 

I felt really angry watching this episode. After the first meeting, Yasmine said she was done and just wanted to go home. When they gave her the spiel about staying over night to get closure, all I could think was that while it served the purposes of the show, it didn't serve Yasmine at all. Then, the next day, when she said she was afraid that Blue/Keerah would manipulate her, they said they'd be with her to prevent that...and then they left the table to give them a moment alone! And I thought it was totally creepy that Keerah asked for a hug and asked to slip in a kiss. Predatory, yes, and shame on Max and Nev for not looking out for her!

• Love 13

I joined just to comment that's it's a crazy coincidence that my two favourite junk tv shows right now happened in Little Rock this week. This and Web of Lies. Little town big mess.

Blue/Keerah was one manipulative individual. And sadly, Yasmine was (is) easy prey. 

I kind of didn't understand why Yasmine was so devastated and crying after the reveal, because during talk time with Grandmom, it seemed that Yasmine knew that she had been completely catfished. Plus, when the group was in the laundry room/garage (?) looking at Blue's Twitter account, Yasmine said "I saw that it was already following me" --- so, she made a point of not calling Blue a 'he' or a 'she.' So, at that point, I realized that she already knew that the catfish's gender was part of the deceit. 

On 4/14/2017 at 5:26 PM, ForReal said:

I felt really angry watching this episode. After the first meeting, Yasmine said she was done and just wanted to go home. When they gave her the spiel about staying over night to get closure, all I could think was that while it served the purposes of the show, it didn't serve Yasmine at all. Then, the next day, when she said she was afraid that Blue/Keerah would manipulate her, they said they'd be with her to prevent that...and then they left the table to give them a moment alone! And I thought it was totally creepy that Keerah asked for a hug and asked to slip in a kiss. Predatory, yes, and shame on Max and Nev for not looking out for her!

I thought the exact same thing! Yasmine was so clearly fragile from the get go....then, distraught and wanted to go the hell home. Why must they insist on a follow up meeting!? Especially with that revolting, and yes, predatory woman? I was so peeved!!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

I kind of didn't understand why Yasmine was so devastated and crying after the reveal, because during talk time with Grandmom, it seemed that Yasmine knew that she had been completely catfished.

You can't trust reality shows to show you what was filmed in the order it was filmed. I happened to catch part of an old episode where one scene had a clock in the background and the time would jump around within an apparent range of nearly two hours, with enough of a gap in the times to suggest a large break in filming; and nothing to ensure the later footage was even filmed on the same day.

• Love 1