Type keyword(s) to search

Curtis Stone: Rocks are More Interesting

Give me a quippy title everyone!

Curtis Stone: Used to be a Chef

Curtis Stone: Style Over Taste

Curtis Stone: Not Famous In Australia

Curtis Stone: Rocks are More Interesting

I've been looking for it, but my Google-fu is failing me*.  But one of the things that endeared him to me was this dorky little dance he did in one of his first appearances on The Chew.  Complete with finger circles.  It was great.  Actually, I used to be apathetic about Curtis until I saw him The Chew a few times.  The more he guested, the more I liked him.

*If I ever find it, I will post it.

I have to confess that once I got over the looks and the accent . . . yeah, he'd probably have relatively little to offer.

His time on The Biggest Loser helped get me over him, as well as that revoltingly bad "America's Next Great Restaurant" show, and then the trifecta of blandness, with "Around the World in 80 Plates".

On the upside, he does appear to have very good taste in women (he's married to Lindsay Price, who's both a major looker as well as surprisingly age appropriate for him).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I don't dislike him, and I think his wife is interesting, but I can't shake the idea that he's gotten where he is by being pretty and inoffensive. That doesn't mean that he's not skilled, but I haven't seen much of that yet.

His time on The Biggest Loser helped get me over him, as well as that revoltingly bad "America's Next Great Restaurant" show, and then the trifecta of blandness, with "Around the World in 80 Plates".

On the upside, he does appear to have very good taste in women (he's married to Lindsay Price, who's both a major looker as well as surprisingly age appropriate for him).

Oh! I had all but forgotten about that show. I don't think I even made it to the finale. I stopped watching when there were maybe five contestants still left? The show had a great concept in taking chefs around the world to cook, but I didn't like the gaming aspect of it at all. 

So i don't know for sure, but the fact that Curtis is hosting "Kitchen Inferno" for Food Network next month - which is going head-to-head with the Top Chef mothership in its timeslot - makes it look like he's done with Bravo.

I know there used to be this "you have to pick which parent to live with" mentality between Bravo and FN. Ted Allen specifically referenced it when he resigned from his Top Chef hosting duties. But I'm not so sure that applies anymore. Marcel and Blais have been all over FN and were asked back for Duels (and blowhard Blais has been asked back as a judge).

It may also be a moot point since Masters appears to be done and they probably realized Duels was a snoozer before it even aired. Unless they come up with a new TC spinoff (which is entirely possible) there may be nothing left for him to host. I'm sad to hear he'll be cheesing up FN.

• Love 1

It may also be a moot point since Masters appears to be done and they probably realized Duels was a snoozer before it even aired. Unless they come up with a new TC spinoff (which is entirely possible) there may be nothing left for him to host. I'm sad to hear he'll be cheesing up FN.

That was pretty much my idea too, about there being no role left for Curtis after this. Although, much as I don't find him exciting, I question whether anyone can cheese up a network which is built around Bobby Flay, Guy Fieri, and new-label Alton, now with all the self-righteous judginess and fewer brain cells.

• Love 1

I'm not bad when it comes to understanding people with foreign accents, but I can only understand every third word that Curtis utters.  One thing amazes me:  What's with the people who find Curtis attractive?

Yee gads!  I think he has a sweetness about him that makes him likeable, but I don't find him to be a heartthrob.  Add Gail to the mix with her ego, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I don't dislike him. He seems like a good guy, I'm impressed that he married a woman his own age, and he got pretty far working for Marco Pierre White, so he does have skills even if they don't seem to be the basis of his celebrity. I think I'd warm to him much more than I currently do if the Top Chef franchise didn't keep trying to turn him into James Bond. Really, guys, he's pretty, but he's not the banter king. Just let the man be good natured and innocuous. 

Not that TFN will. Dammit.

• Love 3

I don't understand what people don't like about Curtis Stone.  He's a pleasant, good-looking, talented guy who's low key and always seems very real to me.  He loves his wife and kids and isn't afraid to say so.  He's not flamboyant.  I find that refreshing.  Also, I love his accent.

• Love 2

Better yet, make it a quadrella: Back in 2004, he was sacked as host of his first cooking reality show in Australia for being so uncharismatic and was literally replaced by a former Australian Idol judge.